ADVERTISEMENT

BTN Bus Tour coming to IU tomorrow (Aug 6th)

Looking forward to the preview show

Overall, I thought BTN's view was something of a reality check for this IU fan, who was starting to see this season through crimson colored glasses.

Overall, they were not too impressed. Said something to the effect that they didn't see many 'difference makers' on either side of the ball.

Now I understand that GD and Howard are not the brightest lights in the chandelier, but realistically we do lack star power on D. Ball is probably our best player. He could play for anyone. Crawford is above average, as is Robinson and, probably Sykes. Otherwise, it's a pretty pedestrian unit. I was a little surprised they didn't say anything about Willis or Roof, as that would have been an obvious subject to discuss. They just said something like 'the new guys have to step up'.

Concerning the Offense, Howard did talk about Pennix a couple of times. Said he had 'obvious potential' or words to that effect. He said he was surprised that Dawkins wasn't clearly the #1 QB.....I think everyone thinks we are solid at QB, whoever wins the job.

They were generally complimentary of the OL and WRs, but didn't single anyone out, other than the Westbrook coming back from injury story.

Glen Mason did manage to twice mention that we have had '10 straight losing seasons', and GD said (in effect) 'watch out for Purdue'. Mason did compliment CAT on opening up the Florida pipeline.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Overall, I thought BTN's view was something of a reality check for this IU fan, who was starting to see this season through crimson colored glasses.

Overall, they were not too impressed. Said something to the effect that they didn't see many 'difference makers' on either side of the ball.

Now I understand that GD and Howard are not the brightest lights in the chandelier, but realistically we do lack star power on D. Ball is probably our best player. He could play for anyone. Crawford is above average, as is Robinson and, probably Sykes. Otherwise, it's a pretty pedestrian unit. I was a little surprised they didn't say anything about Willis or Roof, as that would have been an obvious subject to discuss. They just said something like 'the new guys have to step up'.

Concerning the Offense, Howard did talk about Pennix a couple of times. Said he had 'obvious potential' or words to that effect. He said he was surprised that Dawkins wasn't clearly the #1 QB.....I think everyone thinks we are solid at QB, whoever wins the job.

They were generally complimentary of the OL and WRs, but didn't single anyone out, other than the Westbrook coming back from injury story.

Glen Mason did manage to twice mention that we have had '10 straight losing seasons', and GD said (in effect) 'watch out for Purdue'. Mason did compliment CAT on opening up the Florida pipeline.

To me, it always just seems that they work off of last season's scouting report more than their own observations.

Yes I got the reality check too. Didn't like o-line size comments or d difficulty stopping run. I'll be very happy with 6-6. The boilers surprised people with grad transfers last year. Hope we do the same. Can't afford to back slide. No room for errors. Would feel better if they had more praise but we didn't get it.
Lets go to work Hoosiers!

The Hoosiers are also the first team they have seen, and it has been that way for a least two seasons. Some teams they will not see for another two weeks. Howard had great things to say about the S & C because these coaches worked with his son at IMG (those comments may have been from another forum than the TV show). No surprise that the Hoosiers lack a marquee name in their lineup, just look at any preseason watch list or All Big Ten list. The strength of this team will be its depth. There is quality athletes 3 deep at many positions and that is very unusual for IU. I think they will be able to finish games this year because of the S & C and greater depth. They are going to surprise some folks.

Everyone thought our defense in 2016 was going to suck because we lost the entire DL from 2015, which we weren’t any good then that year anyway and gave up over 500 ypg. The BTN talking heads at the time said it “was a building project” for Allen on defense. That didn’t turn out to be true at all. His defense was night and day in one season.
Dinardo called our RBs this year as something like “pedestrian” and the WRs “not explosive.” I feel better about that group than the past couple of years.

Gerry is entitled to his opinion but remember this:
This was the same coach who called the same play 4 straight times against PSU in 2004 from inside the 5-yard line and was stuffed. Brilliant.

So, any coaching “insight” from Gerry has to be taken with a grain of salt.
I hope every BTN guy thinks we suck. I hope the other teams take us lightly. That actually works in our favor.

"This was the same coach who called the same play 4 straight times against PSU in 2004 from inside the 5-yard line and was stuffed. Brilliant."

Still think GD tried to save Joe Pa's job that day. LOL. We were actually at the one and a half yard line and couldnt punch it in.
We did try one option play with Lovechio, iirc. Still...... we suuuucccckkkeeddd on that series.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Crimson Crush, post: 2446463,
Dinardo called our RBs this year as something like “pedestrian” and the WRs “not explosive.” I feel better about that group than the past couple of years.[/QUOTE]

You feel better about this year's WRs than last year with Mack, Westbrook, Cobbs, and a healthier Harris?

ADVERTISEMENT