ADVERTISEMENT

Bruiser Flint

Watch out for the following name: David Ragland

He's currently an assistant at Utah State, and has deep Indiana roots, having served as head coach at Vincennes as well as an assistant at Indiana State and Valparaiso. He's also had assistant coaching stops at Bowling Green and Northern Kentucky.

He played two seasons at Southern Indiana before immediately jumping into the coaching ranks.

Last edited:
See ya...Never a fan..
Guy never had a good presence on the sideline.imo
If you coach at UK .You roll the ball out. And stay out of the way of the talent...
Very true. I doubt he is being brought aboard for his recruiting. I had an Uncle who was an IU grad in the Geology Department. He lived in Houston Tx when Olajuwon and Drexler were at the University of Houston. My uncle said about Guy Lewis,"He just throws out the ball and says get out there and play". My uncle loved Coach Knight and so he knew what good coaching looked like.

Personally I never had a good feeling about Bruiser. He was a Philly/East Coast guy and he'd been a head coach and it seemed he never "bought in" to IN or Archie or something. Whereas Mike Roberts seems to be a great fit and brought an energy that Bruiser just never seemed to have. Reminds me of the AC we had under Crean, who always felt like was looking for greener pastures but was supposed to be a recruiting whiz, neither panned out (Kerry ? maybe). I know some will note both are black, and that's not a factor, but I do think it might make sense to look for B10 backgrounds. Sometimes it's just not a fit.
If he wasn't passionate about his work he wouldn't have gotten into that argument with Miller last year.

That said, I'm not broken up over this. I was hoping for a change in the coaching staff and he was the one that made the most sense. Roberts has only been here one season and brought a lot of intensity (is that what you meant by energy?). Ostrom is the best recruiter of the staff by far. That left Bruiser. I hope his replacement can help with the offense.

Good luck to Bruiser Flint. I’m just glad it wasn’t Tom Ostrom. According to 247 Sports here’s Indiana’s future, current, and past players and who recruited them...

Logan Duncomb- Tom Ostrom

Khristian Lander- Tom Ostrom
Jordan Geronimo- Bruiser Flint
Anthony Leal- N/A
Trey Galloway- Tom Ostrom

Trayce Jackson Davis- Tom Ostrom
Armaan Franklin- Tom Ostrom

Romeo Langford- Tom Ostrom
Rob Phinisee- Bruiser Flint
Jerome Hunter- Tom Ostrom
Damezi Anderson- Bruiser Flint
Jake Forrester- Bruiser Flint

Justin Smith- Tom Crean/ Rob Judson
Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A
Ostrom recruited Thompson too. Ostrom has connections in the Minnesota AAU scene.

Reactions: IULouie
Yeah, I seriously doubt that’s going to happen. If Archie’s successful (a big “if”), who knows how much longer he’ll be here? Where would that leave Dane?

If Archie has yet another lackluster season and gets fired, Dane might well be fired with him.

If I’m Dane Fife, I see absolutely no reason to leave the situation I’m in...unless it’s a really good head coaching gig somewhere.
I do not know how good a coach Dane is. Big basketball family tho.
If he is an assistant at IU and Archie gets Fired, would he not be a head coach candidate?

If he is an assistant at IU and Archie gets Fired, would he not be a head coach candidate?

Maybe. But, if he’s going to be a candidate for our HC job in the event Archie doesn’t make it, he would be in just as good a shape where he is (maybe even better) than if he were an assistant here for a short period of time.

Again, I think the only thing that would get Dane to leave MSU right now is a really good head coaching offer. He’s the closest thing they have to an heir apparent for Izzo, who probably doesn’t have too many years left.

And, as much as I hate to say it, the MSU head coaching job is higher on the food chain than ours is these days.

Seems like a solid choice but his bio at Syracuse says he's their big man coach and we already have Roberts for that. He's also a Syracuse grad so why would he leave?
Why wouldn’t he. He’s not exclusive to being a bigs coach.

Does losing Bruiser take us out of the running for Aminu Mohammed? I know Bruiser was our east coast guy and the one recruiting him, so hopefully there was more to his interest than the one coach.

Does losing Bruiser take us out of the running for Aminu Mohammed? I know Bruiser was our east coast guy and the one recruiting him, so hopefully there was more to his interest than the one coach.
This was asked of his guardian, who said it didn't matter.

This was asked of his guardian, who said it didn't matter.

Was Bruiser the coach that was recruiting Aminu Mohammed? If so, I wonder if Kentucky gets involved? Here’s a few IU targets and the IU coach that’s recruiting them according to 247 Sports...

#10 Aminu Mohammed- N/A (Greenwood Laboratory School in Springfield, Missouri) hometown Washington DC

#58 Trey Kaufman- Tom Ostrom

#60 Mason Miller- Tom Ostrom

#109 Blake Wesley- Bruiser Flint

Was Bruiser the coach that was recruiting Aminu Mohammed? If so, I wonder if Kentucky gets involved? Here’s a few IU targets and the IU coach that’s recruiting them according to 247 Sports...

#10 Aminu Mohammed- N/A (Greenwood Laboratory School in Springfield, Missouri) hometown Washington DC

#58 Trey Kaufman- Tom Ostrom

#60 Mason Miller- Tom Ostrom

#109 Blake Wesley- Bruiser Flint
He was and it remains to be seen if they get involved.

As for Wesley, he also said it didn't matter although I don't think IU lands him with or without Flint.

If he wasn't passionate about his work he wouldn't have gotten into that argument with Miller last year.

That said, I'm not broken up over this. I was hoping for a change in the coaching staff and he was the one that made the most sense. Roberts has only been here one season and brought a lot of intensity (is that what you meant by energy?). Ostrom is the best recruiter of the staff by far. That left Bruiser. I hope his replacement can help with the offense.

That, or he didn't give a f*ck.

Good luck to Bruiser Flint. I’m just glad it wasn’t Tom Ostrom. According to 247 Sports here’s Indiana’s future, current, and past players and who recruited them...

Logan Duncomb- Tom Ostrom

Khristian Lander- Tom Ostrom
Jordan Geronimo- Bruiser Flint
Anthony Leal- N/A
Trey Galloway- Tom Ostrom

Trayce Jackson Davis- Tom Ostrom
Armaan Franklin- Tom Ostrom

Romeo Langford- Tom Ostrom
Rob Phinisee- Bruiser Flint
Jerome Hunter- Tom Ostrom
Damezi Anderson- Bruiser Flint
Jake Forrester- Bruiser Flint

Justin Smith- Tom Crean/ Rob Judson
Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A

Tom Ostrom was on Race( Minnesota).

Reactions: IULouie
I love AJ but I would say Archie is looking for an east coast guy. That’s a tough recruiting market.

More important that an “east coast guy” is getting someone who believes in the vision, believes in the team, believes in the university. If they have that, they can recruit the right kinda guy. We know Moyle’s personality is infectious. Maybe Griffin does that and is from the East. That would be great. If not you just end up with another Flint who wasn’t getting it done.

More important that an “east coast guy” is getting someone who believes in the vision, believes in the team, believes in the university. If they have that, they can recruit the right kinda guy. We know Moyle’s personality is infectious. Maybe Griffin does that and is from the East. That would be great. If not you just end up with another Flint who wasn’t getting it done.
Griffin had a statement a few days ago which said he's staying at Syracuse.

AJ Moye wants the job bad. I have a friend that is close to his wife.
I hope this is true...but I wouldn't hire him for a lead assistant at this point. I could see bringing him into a role similar to what Elston had and then letting him work his way up to an assistants spot. In my opinion, that would be a home run situation. Imagine having both AJ & Roberts on staff...two guys who truly GET what IU is all about and breathing that culture into the program.

Based on that article, I like Simpkins:

https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/duane-simpkins/694

http://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=209255464

He's already familiar with Smith and checks all the East Coast boxes, what's not to like...?

Since he's an "Associate Head Coach" at George Mason it might take a title and a big $ pay bump to get him but he may be worth it...

Michael Lewis, Mike Miller, Calbert, Randy Wittman, Quinn Buckner, Mike Woodson, Tom Coverdale, Dane Fife, Keith Smart, Jack Keefer, Steve Smith (Oak Hill Academy coach), Scott Skiles, Sean May, Jared Jeffries, Greg Graham, Pat Graham, Damon Bailey, AJ Guyton, A.J. Moye.

Honest question, but how many 15, 16, 17, or 18 year old kids from outside of Indiana (hell, I'd question if even if Indiana kids knew most of them, some would think the Sean May that played at UNC) know the majority of these guys?

It's time to move past this former player thing and hire the best candidate for the program.

Honest question, but how many 15, 16, 17, or 18 year old kids from outside of Indiana (hell, I'd question if even if Indiana kids knew most of them, some would think the Sean May that played at UNC) know the majority of these guys?

It's time to move past this former player thing and hire the best candidate for the program.
It’s our ignorant fan base at it’s finest. Like the crying woman who was butthurt at the pacers for drafting Miller over Alford. I just laugh at the people who want former players that don’t make sense for the position. They just throw names they know.

It’s our ignorant fan base at it’s finest. Like the crying woman who was butthurt at the pacers for drafting Miller over Alford. I just laugh at the people who want former players that don’t make sense for the position. They just throw names they know.

It's asinine to me.

Can you imagine telling a kid, hey we just hired Sean May, and the kid thinks we just hired the UNC forward. Hell, when you Google Sean May, that's who pops up, not his dad.

Nobody was even born to watch AJ Guyton or Damon Bailey play. To think they'll make a difference recruiting is stupid. To hire them because they're former players is even dumber, especially if they're not qualified.

Simpkins and Valentine seem interesting. Knight could give IU those East coast connections we need.

ADVERTISEMENT