ADVERTISEMENT

Bruiser Flint

Bruiser really wasn’t getting it done. He wasn’t our lead recruiter. He was supposed to be our east coast guy. The UK faithful are not happy right now.

Reactions: ufo33
Bruiser really wasn’t getting it done. He wasn’t our lead recruiter. He was supposed to be our east coast guy. The UK faithful are not happy right now.
It happens. Payne was a good one, but coaches come and go. So do players. What's important is that the program is strong enough to absorb the changes and keep going at a high level.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I'm sad to see Flint leave, particularly to coach under Cal at UK...

It will be interesting to see if Archie calls Michael Lewis at UCLA...

I don't think I had a strong opinion about Flint one way or the other...UK is an elite program (whether you question their methods or not...they're always ranked and contending)...I suppose it is some sort of validation of CAM's assistant hiring...UK ain't East Falklan's Island University.

Reactions: sosoblue
Sucks to lose assistant coaches in back to back years and especially so late in the year. Need a solid recruiter. Some ex IU players, AJ Guyton, Jamaal Meeks, Calbert. Who are some non IU affiliated options?

Saw on Twitter that the "Coaching Changes" guys made a little fun of Bruiser. Basically said he's a good defensive coach but his offensive strategies were not very good. I know Roberts has a lot to do with the offense now, but makes me wonder if maybe CAM hadn't relied on Bruiser a little too much. Either way, good luck to him (I've had a chance to meet him and he's a great guy), but I honestly don't think we're losing much from a coaching/recruiting standpoint.

Reactions: ufo33 and IULouie
Saw on Twitter that the "Coaching Changes" guys made a little fun of Bruiser. Basically said he's a good defensive coach but his offensive strategies were not very good. I know Roberts has a lot to do with the offense now, but makes me wonder if maybe CAM hadn't relied on Bruiser a little too much. Either way, good luck to him (I've had a chance to meet him and he's a great guy), but I honestly don't think we're losing much from a coaching/recruiting standpoint.

Michael Lewis, Mike Miller, Calbert, Randy Wittman, Quinn Buckner, Mike Woodson, Tom Coverdale, Dane Fife, Keith Smart, Jack Keefer, Steve Smith (Oak Hill Academy coach), Scott Skiles, Sean May, Jared Jeffries, Greg Graham, Pat Graham, Damon Bailey, AJ Guyton, A.J. Moye.

Last edited:
Reactions: IULouie
Archie Miller has the opportunity now to hire an Assistant Coach that will help tie the program to IU's glorious past, and help recruit.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Think Steve Alford would come be an assistant coach? Since that is where he truly belongs....as an assistant and nothing more.

I saw on another board that they've already got someone picked. There wasn't a name given but the poster said that they've already reached out to him but it might take some time due to commitments. This poster also said that Flint might be leaving several days before it was announced.

Sam Story is saying young, connected, African American. That sounds more like what he thinks the hire should be than what he's hearing, though. He does say there was a plan in place for someone young when an assistant coach left.

Good luck to Bruiser Flint. I’m just glad it wasn’t Tom Ostrom. According to 247 Sports here’s Indiana’s future, current, and past players and who recruited them...

Logan Duncomb- Tom Ostrom

Khristian Lander- Tom Ostrom
Jordan Geronimo- Bruiser Flint
Anthony Leal- N/A
Trey Galloway- Tom Ostrom

Trayce Jackson Davis- Tom Ostrom
Armaan Franklin- Tom Ostrom

Romeo Langford- Tom Ostrom
Rob Phinisee- Bruiser Flint
Jerome Hunter- Tom Ostrom
Damezi Anderson- Bruiser Flint
Jake Forrester- Bruiser Flint

Justin Smith- Tom Crean/ Rob Judson
Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A

Good luck to Bruiser Flint. I’m just glad it wasn’t Tom Ostrom. According to 247 Sports here’s Indiana’s future, current, and past players and who recruited them...

Anthony Leal- N/A

Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A

Anthony Leal- N/A

Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A
Looks about I figured. Bruiser never could pull talent from the East.

This is good news, maybe we can get someone that can recruit and not get in sideline fights with the head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and ufo33
Dane Fife might want to get out of MSU and their Sexual Assault Athletics Department culture, especially if someone else is being tabbed as Izzo's eventual replacement.

Dane Fife might want to get out of MSU and their Sexual Assault Athletics Department culture, especially if someone else is being tabbed as Izzo's eventual replacement.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that’s going to happen. If Archie’s successful (a big “if”), who knows how much longer he’ll be here? Where would that leave Dane?

If Archie has yet another lackluster season and gets fired, Dane might well be fired with him.

If I’m Dane Fife, I see absolutely no reason to leave the situation I’m in...unless it’s a really good head coaching gig somewhere.

I saw on another board that they've already got someone picked. There wasn't a name given but the poster said that they've already reached out to him but it might take some time due to commitments. This poster also said that Flint might be leaving several days before it was announced.

Sam Story is saying young, connected, African American. That sounds more like what he thinks the hire should be than what he's hearing, though. He does say there was a plan in place for someone young when an assistant coach left.

I was at IU when Sam was there. Really great guy and I trust his sources even though people give him shat here. I’m not In the loop on this one so can’t confirm anything.... We also played b-ball together pretty frequently. HPER all-stars.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Personally I never had a good feeling about Bruiser. He was a Philly/East Coast guy and he'd been a head coach and it seemed he never "bought in" to IN or Archie or something. Whereas Mike Roberts seems to be a great fit and brought an energy that Bruiser just never seemed to have. Reminds me of the AC we had under Crean, who always felt like was looking for greener pastures but was supposed to be a recruiting whiz, neither panned out (no, it was the Duke guy!). I know some will note both are black, and that's not a factor, but I do think it might make sense to look for B10 backgrounds. Sometimes it's just not a fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Michael Lewis, Mike Miller, Calbert, Randy Wittman, Quinn Buckner, Mike Woodson, Tom Coverdale, Dane Fife, Keith Smart, Jack Kiefer, Steve Smith (Oak Hill Academy coach), Scott Skiles, Sean May, Jared Jeffries, Greg Graham, Pat Graham, Damon Bailey, AJ Guyton, Moye.
Jack Keefer is an excellent recruiter.

Anthony Leal- N/A

Al Durham- Chuck Martin
Race Thompson- N/A

Joey Brunk- N/A
Interesting. Other than recruiting, did he coach?

What should the skill set of the new guy be? I remember a quote from Sabah that he said is coaches do the coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT