ADVERTISEMENT

Brown jr

Need to watch this one real close. A backcourt of Brown, Mullins and Haralson.
Need to quit spending money on official visits for top ranked high school players, we never get one, leave the money for the GM to buy people in the portal. Tucker and Mcbago were basically portal players if someone wants to bring them up.

Is it just me or does that picture looked photoshopped, especially his head. And is he getting ready to pass or dribble? Looks like a palm…..nitpicking the pic of a top 10 kid, geesh

Depends on how we run the offense, lane will be clogged with Malik and Ballou. So won’t be much penetrating
I would think that would make it more difficult for them to play themselves in to draft status. JHS did it a couple years ago, and we had a decent year from it. If we have 2 guys that overcome the clogged lanes, to play themselves in to early entry status...stands to reason we could be even better than the 22-23 team was. Anything appreciably better than that team would mean we had a pretty darn good year.

Depends on how we run the offense, lane will be clogged with Malik and Ballou. So won’t be much penetrating
Arizona and UConn played 2 bigs. They use high low just like we have. We now have the guards to play. Like I said before we run similar stuff as everyone else does just haven’t had the guards to do it. You act like they will just stand in the middle waiting for a pass.

Arizona and UConn played 2 bigs. They use high low just like we have. We now have the guards to play. Like I said before we run similar stuff as everyone else does just haven’t had the guards to do it. You act like they will just stand in the middle waiting for a pass.
So, we are or we aren’t changing our offense?

So, we are or we aren’t changing our offense?
We are but we will still run the high low with more room. Everyone runs this at times. Almost every team plays similar actions, Zoom, horns, high low…it’s dependent on who you have. 3-2, 4-out, 5-out all can use the same sets and actions. The difference will be the better guards and yet to be determined 3 point shooting. So yes he’s changing the offense(from 3rd hand info) but he’s not going to abandon sets and actions that work. Hes going to play Ballo and Malik together but don’t expect Ballo and Malik to be together for the whole game. Ballo usually plays 22-26 min max.

Be patient with Smitty, he's learning basketball on the fly.

We would be more affective if we had a 4 that could stretch the defense.
Reneau and Ballou can’t shoot.
UConn also had Karaban who hit 81 threes last year. So not even close to same personal as uconn and Arizona had a 6’6 guy in Johnson playing the 4 and he hit 46 threes

Reactions: ulrey
UConn also had Karaban who hit 81 threes last year. So not even close to same personal as uconn and Arizona had a 6’6 guy in Johnson playing the 4 and he hit 46 threes
Arizona was a top 5 team in the country for most the year two seasons ago playing Ballo and Tubelis at the 4 and the 5. Tubelis was 10/32 from 3 that year, worse than Reneau last year. They were a top 10 team offensive efficiency wise per KenPom. They shot 38% from 3 despite "the lane being clogged by two bigs". Your Boilermakers did the same exact thing this past season with two bigs. Try and keep up.

Arizona was a top 5 team in the country for most the year two seasons ago playing Ballo and Tubelis at the 4 and the 5. Tubelis was 10/32 from 3 that year, worse than Reneau last year. They were a top 10 team offensive efficiency wise per KenPom. They shot 38% from 3 despite "the lane being clogged by two bigs". Your Boilermakers did the same exact thing this past season with two bigs. Try and keep up.
He can’t. He thinks 4 out is 4 people initiating from behind the arc. We ran 4 out a lot just didn’t have enough guard play. I have zero concerns with the offense other than shooting percentage. We will score a lot and shoot a lot. It’s the defense that concerns me with mbako and Malik.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He can’t. He thinks 4 out is 4 people initiating from behind the arc. We ran 4 out a lot just didn’t have enough guard play. I have zero concerns with the offense other than shooting percentage. We will score a lot and shoot a lot. It’s the defense that concerns me with mbako and Malik.
Agreed

Again you fail to see what we see. You play yo your strengths and shooting wasn’t a strength. Neither was driving. Galloway was limited and Cupps is not a creator. That changes this year.

Again you fail to see what we see. You play yo your strengths and shooting wasn’t a strength. Neither was driving. Galloway was limited and Cupps is not a creator. That changes this year.
No I was countering your argument that UConn clogs the paint when they don’t because the 4 is their best 3 point shooter.

I've been noodling around with this thought lately that THE central question mark is will we be more consistent with our effort and execution with this new group of players?

Woody's offense has changed or varied since he arrived, depending on the guys he had. Early on, it was nearly 100% focused on dumping it down to TJD and race, and merely spacing away with the perimeter guys. JHS showed up, he added in a lot of pick and roll action. Mack shows up, he develops a lot more weakside Zoom action. So I don't have any doubts that Woody will change some things up this year to better suit key guys like Rice, Ballo, Mack, etc...

But will this group be his first team that puts out consistent effort? And/or will they be his first group that consistently executes whatever offense and defense he wants to employ? If they aren't...if the new guys aren't any more inclined to give maximum effort, and have maximum focus and attention to detail...than the various guys we've had in the past... I see this next team probably still being Woody's best IU team. But there will still be frustrating stretches, probably a blowout loss or two. And we'll be 100% dependent on getting a favorable draw in the NCAAs, or we'll get bumped early.

Woody has the opportunity to improve his coaching. It does appear he's evolved a bit on the types of kids he recruits the hardest, and during last season, he did change how he subbed guys, and made some pretty dramatic changes to the offense mid year. So he's not so stubborn that he isn't willing to change. Can he figure out how to get a group of teenagers and young adults to be more consistent? THAT is the question mark heading in to this season...in my opinion.

Reactions: T.M.P.
4 out when the 4 can’t shoot keeps a defender in the paint. You can spread it all you want but if the 4 can’t shoot then it’s pointless. Also I’m not a Pu fan dude. Just respect how they are running the program.
You didn’t address Arizona two years ago or Purdue last year with a 4 who couldn’t shoot? You also constantly suggest that IU needs to play more like Purdue, Purdue played two bigs last year who couldn’t shoot…and still lead the country in 3pt%. What gives??

You didn’t address Arizona two years ago or Purdue last year with a 4 who couldn’t shoot? You also constantly suggest that IU needs to play more like Purdue, Purdue played two bigs last year who couldn’t shoot…and still lead the country in 3pt%. What gives??
He’s not going to.

No I was countering your argument that UConn clogs the paint when they don’t because the 4 is their best 3 point shooter.
You missed the point again. 2 bigs with pnr and high/low action isn’t clogging the lane. They aren’t just going to stand in the paint. That’s what you are stuck on.

You missed the point again. 2 bigs with pnr and high/low action isn’t clogging the lane. They aren’t just going to stand in the paint. That’s what you are stuck on.
Correct and if you watched Ballo at Arizona he never just stood in the paint or down low on the block waiting to be fed the ball. That's not the type of offensive player he is. He screens and moves.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Correct and if you watched Ballo at Arizona he never just stood in the paint or down low on the block waiting to be fed the ball. That's not the type of offensive player he is. He screens and moves.
If we could’ve had Rice last year……😳

High low can definitely clog the paint, especially if Ballo is the "high" person. PNR shouldn't, depending on what side its on, and what the other big is doing at the time.

Ballo has thrived in a pretty open, fast paced offense at Arizona. I'm sure he'll step in and be used heavily as a zoom screener and ball screen and dive to the rim guy. That's what he's been good at, and that should fit what we'd need for him to do with Mack, Rice, Malik, etc...

The key will be more how Malik is positioned and used...in my opinion. And then how hard the guys cut to spots, how well they execute, etc...

Reactions: .Gerdis
Haha ok. So we using the exception to the rule? We don’t have a 7’4 guys that demands a double team every time he touches it.

If Malik goes to perimeter, are teams guarding him out there? Why didn’t we run this action last year then? If it works so well, Galloway should have been able to penetrate all day.

If Malik goes to perimeter, are teams guarding him out there? Why didn’t we run this action last year then? If it works so well, Galloway should have been able to penetrate all day.
Teams packed the paint against us last year because we had guards who weren't a threat to shoot or score, not because we played a 4 who wasn't a threat to shoot. JFC man, I thought you said you knew basketball?

Teams packed the paint against us last year because we had guards who weren't a threat to shoot or score, not because we played a 4 who wasn't a threat to shoot. JFC man, I thought you said you knew basketball?
Yes double the paint because they don’t have to run us off the 3 pt line.
Purdue was really good because you had to double Edey and if you did they had shooters to make you pay.
Will our bigs demand a double team? Ballou hasn’t ever been a high volume scorer. Malik can score but not sure he needs to be doubled. Pick and roll with Malik and Ballou on the baseline can work. Just need better passing out of our guards and bigs for that matter

Purdue was really good because you had to double Edey and if you did they had shooters to make you pay.
Will our bigs demand a double team? Ballou hasn’t ever been a high volume scorer. Malik can score but not sure he needs to be doubled. Pick and roll with Malik and Ballou on the baseline can work. Just need better passing out of our guards and bigs for that matter
Malik was often doubled. What the fk were you watching?

High low can definitely clog the paint, especially if Ballo is the "high" person. PNR shouldn't, depending on what side its on, and what the other big is doing at the time.

Ballo has thrived in a pretty open, fast paced offense at Arizona. I'm sure he'll step in and be used heavily as a zoom screener and ball screen and dive to the rim guy. That's what he's been good at, and that should fit what we'd need for him to do with Mack, Rice, Malik, etc...

The key will be more how Malik is positioned and used...in my opinion. And then how hard the guys cut to spots, how well they execute, etc...
He was used in high low at Arizona. It only clogs the paint if you can’t shoot at all. They also won’t just use high low. Sheesh.

You don’t watch basketball do you. Ballo(not ballou) is a walking double double off trash. If they don’t double Malik he’s getting 25 a game. You ever seen horns? Probably waiting my time.

We did run high low you goof. Galloway was our best driver but he’s not the guy you want initiating offense all game long. Wait until rice gets going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT