ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Carson Edwards no longer plays for PU

Back to reality for Purdue.
And Painter redshirted Newman who can shoot the ball.
All eggs in the Proctor basket for Purdue, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cletus Courtsense
Don't understand the meaning of this post?
Purdue lost .. rejoice. That part we agree on .. but ...

Remember last year when they were 5-4 and people were calling them a one man team. Same thing different dynamic. March (when it matters) is long way away.

Remember last year when they were 5-4 and people were calling them a one man team. Same thing different dynamic. March (when it matters) is long way away.

Well, in fairness, they played a real team! I watched part of their first game, and maybe I'm starting to fear them like I did WI, but I thought they looked solid. I was talking with a friend about what would make a successful season this year and I said, sweep PU, make the tourney and win at least 1 game in the BTT. Thoughts?

Who lost? I’m not sure who you’re talking about. Is this a basketball team or something?

Who is "Proctor"?
Grad transfer who has been solid so far. He's a threat from outside, and he can put it on the floor and pull up in the lane or take it all the way to the rack.
He has a strong build, and he competes. He'll be a pain in the ass.

Who is "Proctor"?
His name is Jahaad Proctor. 6’3” guard, graduate transfer from High Point. Purdue starting 2 guard. Pretty good scorer. Good shooter. After 2 games he seems to be a very good addition to the team this year. Scored 26 points against Green Bay last week.

His name is Jahaad Proctor. 6’3” guard, graduate transfer from High Point. Purdue starting 2 guard. Pretty good scorer. Good shooter. After 2 games he seems to be a very good addition to the team this year. Scored 26 points against Green Bay last week.

Who? lol ...

Is it that guard who doesn't play very good defense or the other guard that is worse and was owned by Coleman like a punk a** lil' b****?

Purdue lost to Texas last year too..... and Texas should be better this year.

Exactly, I watched them at the Crossroads Classic. I thought they were going to be horrible as did a Purdue Alumni that went with us. Painter coached them up and they were very good when all was said and done.

Reactions: kkott
Yep, sucks to lose.

Texas was a solid team though. Probably better than anyone IU plays in the nonconference. Their starting 5 was good and when Jones and their 5* freshman get more games in they'll have some good depth too. Wouldn't shock me to see them fighting with Baylor and Texas Tech for 2nd in the big 12 behind Kansas.

I still think Purdue beats them more times than not. Purdue's frontcourt is the strength of the team and had a pretty bad night. With that said they were still in the drivers seat to win the game before they shot themselves in the foot under 3min to go.

It is what it is though. A win would've looked good on the tournament résumé but even the loss will be more beneficial to this team in the long run than a win over a cupcake would've been.

As far as OP - If Carson Edwards is anything like the Carsen Edwards that played at Purdue then he probably would've helped.

C'mon you guys are so loaded you didn't even need Newman to play. FSU just beat Florida at Florida. The sooner you realize that the mental toughness down the stretch of Edwards is gone and that carried that team at times last year the better for you. But hey you can also believe the football team is going to win the West also.

Yep, sucks to lose.

Texas was a solid team though. Probably better than anyone IU plays in the nonconference. Their starting 5 was good and when Jones and their 5* freshman get more games in they'll have some good depth too. Wouldn't shock me to see them fighting with Baylor and Texas Tech for 2nd in the big 12 behind Kansas.

I still think Purdue beats them more times than not. Purdue's frontcourt is the strength of the team and had a pretty bad night. With that said they were still in the drivers seat to win the game before they shot themselves in the foot under 3min to go.

It is what it is though. A win would've looked good on the tournament résumé but even the loss will be more beneficial to this team in the long run than a win over a cupcake would've been.

As far as OP - If Carson Edwards is anything like the Carsen Edwards that played at Purdue then he probably would've helped.

C'mon you guys are so loaded you didn't even need Newman to play. FSU just beat Florida at Florida. The sooner you realize that the mental toughness down the stretch of Edwards is gone and that carried that team at times last year the better for you. But hey you can also believe the football team is going to win the West also.
Rivalries can go either way all the time. Florida st also lost to a Pitt team that lost to Nichols st so let's wait and see what kind of team they really are.

As for Newman - where are his minutes going to come from? Proctor and Hunter have been in double figures both games and Sasha hit 4 threes in his only game. They're all 25+ minute players on this team so why waste a year of eligibility on Newman now when he could be a 30min a game player in his 5th year. Same reason they redshirted Wheeler and the same reason why one of the two top 75 guards Purdue has committed for next year will likely need to redshirt.
They made a last minute decision on Cline not to redshirt back in 2015. I think he'd do better this year then he did his freshman year behind Kendall Stephens and Mathias.

There is more to that story. Newman didn't want to play defense at all in HS. His coach didn't demand it. His coach now will not play him if he doesn't know how or doesn't want to play defense.

Rivalries can go either way all the time. Florida st also lost to a Pitt team that lost to Nichols st so let's wait and see what kind of team they really are.

As for Newman - where are his minutes going to come from? Proctor and Hunter have been in double figures both games and Sasha hit 4 threes in his only game. They're all 25+ minute players on this team so why waste a year of eligibility on Newman now when he could be a 30min a game player in his 5th year. Same reason they redshirted Wheeler and the same reason why one of the two top 75 guards Purdue has committed for next year will likely need to redshirt.
They made a last minute decision on Cline not to redshirt back in 2015. I think he'd do better this year then he did his freshman year behind Kendall Stephens and Mathias.

There is more to that story. Newman didn't want to play defense at all in HS. His coach didn't demand it. His coach now will not play him if he doesn't know how or doesn't want to play defense.
Well idk about that so I won't comment but that would be another reason to redshirt if true.

Exactly, I watched them at the Crossroads Classic. I thought they were going to be horrible as did a Purdue Alumni that went with us. Painter coached them up and they were very good when all was said and done.

Purdue's main issue at the beginning of last year was that the rest of team just stood around waiting for Edwards to do something, especially late in games.
Wasn't so much as coaching them up as reminding the rest of the team that Edwards couldn't play 1 on 5.

Last season Purdue was mentally tough enough to win key B1G games when Edwards went through that stretch when he was not shooting well. Playing quality teams like Texas, Marquette, and soon Virginia will get you mentally tough if you are not already.

Reactions: nitrowars
Depends on how they grow together and individually. Edwards had elite toughness and ability. As you saw Saturday down the stretch it was sorely missed.

Well idk about that so I won't comment but that would be another reason to redshirt if true.
Last season Purdue was mentally tough enough to win key B1G games when Edwards went through that stretch when he was not shooting well. Playing quality teams like Texas, Marquette, and soon Virginia will get you mentally tough if you are not already.

Yep, sucks to lose.

I wouldn't bet the farm on "beats them more than not". Shaka has been a.disappointment so far at Texas but one thing he does very well is beat down Boilers. I think VCU just made another layup.

Reactions: cybergates
That wasn't VCU making a layup, it was the Scott twins while at Indiana st and IPFW

Huh, I was pretty sure this thread was about Purdue. You're the one staying that Purdue would win more times than not. I was simply reminding you that Marty's history vs Shaka doesn't suggest that to be the case. Maybe start a Scott Brothers thread.

Reactions: cybergates
For the sake of the thread title, Proctor is Proctor, Guard Doctor.

I was really surprised by the redshirting of Newman. It seems to me that if Purdue lost Hunter or Proctor for a few games they would be in major trouble against teams with heavy guard scoring.

For the sake of the thread title, Proctor is Proctor, Guard Doctor.

I was really surprised by the redshirting of Newman. It seems to me that if Purdue lost Hunter or Proctor for a few games they would be in major trouble against teams with heavy guard scoring.
They still have Thompson, Stefanovic and Eastern .. along with Hunter and Proctor.

With 3 players capable of being the primary ball handler. That's more than enough.

So PU redshirted potentially its best shooter in Newman. But they brought in the High Point transfer, and still have the 50 year old balding church league guy to bomb 3s.

So PU redshirted potentially its best shooter in Newman. But they brought in the High Point transfer, and still have the 50 year old balding church league guy to bomb 3s.

Who is newman? I need to watch a PU game because outside of Haarms and Easterday I have no idea.

Reactions: Ace Courtsense
Who is newman? I need to watch a PU game because outside of Haarms and Easterday I have no idea.

I love this "playing stupid" thing you do--it's hilarious. You've had the entire Purdue roster memorized since August and you know it.

By the way, did you see that AH attendance last night? Best fans in basketball! Did you see Purdue sold out their exhibition game? I know you're big on attendance numbers, so I thought you might need an update. ;-)

I love this "playing stupid" thing you do--it's hilarious. You've had the entire Purdue roster memorized since August and you know it.

By the way, did you see that AH attendance last night? Best fans in basketball! Did you see Purdue sold out their exhibition game? I know you're big on attendance numbers, so I thought you might need an update. ;-)

Sold out doesn’t mean anything. Especially for your high school gym. IU sold 16k tickets for the game last night. There were not 16k butts in the seats. Not that I blame anyone. Foul fests against sub 200 kenpom teams aren’t a big draw.

Sold out doesn’t mean anything. Especially for your high school gym. IU sold 16k tickets for the game last night. There were not 16k butts in the seats. Not that I blame anyone. Foul fests against sub 200 kenpom teams aren’t a big draw.

I'm talking about butts in seats. Pictures/video showed AH was embarrassingly empty last night. Mackey was full for an exhibition game. Courtsense is very concerned about attendance (especially Purdue's), so I thought he might need an update.

Go ahead and call it a high school gym, but the AH atmosphere doesn't hold a candle to the Mackey atmosphere (well, maybe once a year if Duke or UNC are in Bloomington).

so sick of these Purdue post. It’s always the same story... “they no longer have X, so they’re going to suck”

can we just beat them for a change? No excuses. It’s been way too long. And porkchop keeps making the dance. Can we do those two things before talking trash?

lol Purdue sux. Live with it.

I'm talking about butts in seats. Pictures/video showed AH was embarrassingly empty last night. Mackey was full for an exhibition game. Courtsense is very concerned about attendance (especially Purdue's), so I thought he might need an update.

Go ahead and call it a high school gym, but the AH atmosphere doesn't hold a candle to the Mackey atmosphere (well, maybe once a year if Duke or UNC are in Bloomington).
You and I both know the attendance and atmosphere at Mackey are reflective of the recent success. During Keady's last year or two and Painter's first year when Purdue sucked, there were nights when you could have thrown a fistful of gravel at the crowd and not hit anybody. As often as not, it was like a funeral home in there. Same thing during that stretch from about 2011-14 or so when IU (and everybody else who was any good) was beating the Boilers like that big f@$king drum you guys love so much.

Not making the NCAAT and not having the level of success the fans have grown accustomed to will have a dampening effect on the crowd anywhere, including IU. People will return when the winning does. That isn't exclusive to Bloomington or W. Laffy - it's true everywhere.

I will admit that it's a little easier to keep the crowd at Mackey. They have lower expectations and won't turn on you for not making deep runs in the NCAAT. As long as you make the tourney most of the time and beat IU, the fans are content as pigs in shit (some ACTUALLY are pigs in shit). That level of success gets you fired in Bloomington.

Last edited:
You and I both know the attendance and atmosphere at Mackey are reflective of the recent success. During Keady's last year or two and Painter's first year when Purdue sucked, there were nights when you could have thrown a fistful of gravel at the crowd and not hit anybody. As often as not, it was like a funeral home in there. Same thing during that stretch from about 2011-14 or so when IU (and everybody else who was any good) was beating the Boilers like that big f@$king drum you guys love so much.

Not making the NCAAT and not having the level of success the fans have grown accustomed to will have a dampening effect on the crowd anywhere, including IU. People will return when the winning does. That isn't exclusive to Bloomington or W. Laffy - it's true everywhere.

I will admit that it's a little easier to keep the crowd at Mackey. They have lower expectations and won't turn on you for not making deep runs in the NCAAT. As long as you make the tourney most of the time and beat IU, the fans are content as pigs in shit (some ACTUALLY are pigs in shit). That level of success gets you fired in Bloomington.
Recent "success," lol. If PU fans can still get excited about Painter after 15 years, good for them, I guess.

Newman is their highest ranked recruit on the roster and Painter redshirts him: WTF? Purdue has trouble recruiting, anyways, and this is the message they are sending to recruits. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT