ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman visits IU and gets offer

I've seen comparisons made to Robert Johnson and Rod Wilmont (who was one of my favorite players....tough, fun, underrated, big strong body who rebounded like a beast as a guard, Big Ten Wonk loved Rod so I'm assuming his PER was pretty good).

Anyway, he would be a really nice get at a spot we need. Like Rojo and Wilmont, they are definitely twos. Newman isn't a point... he's a 2.

I'm also seeing posts about a four man class which makes me want to shoot myself in the head. I thought we were done wanting to be perpetually young and wishing for silly roster turnover.

Drives me nuts.

I really like Newman but I wouldn't trade anyone on this current roster for him. I'll take an upperclass Durham over a freshman Newman.

If anyone wishes that Clifton leaves (after waiting two years for his physical development etc), which I'm assuming when I see posts about a four man class because they 'expect some transfers' then that's incredibly short sighted and dumb...in my opinion.

That poster would rather have a freshman instead of a 6'10" 240 pound junior with guard skills and a huge wingspan with two years in the program understanding the system?

Or do we like losing to ISU by 20 because our players are confused on defensive rotations from being so new to it again?

Anyway, I'm down with a three man class.

TJD, Brooks and Carton is the ideal.

TJD, Newman and Franklin would be very solid as it would fill needs (guard depth and a stud all from in state).

Any combination in-between is probably what we'll end up with.

I've seen comparisons made to Robert Johnson and Rod Wilmont (who was one of my favorite players....tough, fun, underrated, big strong body who rebounded like a beast as a guard, Big Ten Wonk loved Rod so I'm assuming his PER was pretty good).

Anyway, he would be a really nice get at a spot we need. Like Rojo and Wilmont, they are definitely twos. Newman isn't a point... he's a 2.

I'm also seeing posts about a four man class which makes me want to shoot myself in the head. I thought we were done wanting to be perpetually young and wishing for silly roster turnover.

Drives me nuts.

I really like Newman but I wouldn't trade anyone on this current roster for him. I'll take an upperclass Durham over a freshman Newman.

If anyone wishes that Clifton leaves (after waiting two years for his physical development etc), which I'm assuming when I see posts about a four man class because they 'expect some transfers' then that's incredibly short sighted and dumb...in my opinion.

That poster would rather have a freshman instead of a 6'10" 240 pound junior with guard skills and a huge wingspan with two years in the program understanding the system?

Or do we like losing to ISU by 20 because our players are confused on defensive rotations from being so new to it again?

TJD, Newman and Franklin would be very solid as it would fill needs (guard depth and a stud all from in state).

With a 4 man class next year (Romeo, Morgan, Fitz, and ? gone)....

2 Seniors (Davis, Green)
4 Juniors (Al, Smith, Thompson (RS), Moore)
4 Sophomore (Hunter, Anderson, Forester, Phinisee)
4 Freshman

That's not a young roster. Especially if one of the sophomores transfer....which would be the likely case.

CoachSS on the other board who is very in the know says the staff is wanting a 4 man class. Romeo is 99% one and done and most programs average about a transfer a year I believe so nothing wrong with a 4 man class.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe

Drives me nuts.

It’s not wishing for it. It’s expecting someone to transfer, which I would bet someone does.

Reactions: kmathum

Drives me nuts.

the good news is, this doesn't have to be decided now. We can take 3 now, and it could turn in to a 4 man class next spring, it a transfer is known at that point or anticipated. And, who knows, RL may be back, so it may only be a 2 man class. As IUScott has pointed out, no one expected Miles Bridges to come back and I think he was similarly rated as RL.

But, a 6'10" big with guard skills doesn't do us any good if he can't get off the bench, so if Moore goes through another year of not playing, he may well want to transfer. It's a totally different situation than CTC, and I think any worry about oversigning ad nauseum is unnecessary. I like your ideal, but I'd also be thrilled with TJD, Brooks and Newman. I feel like he adds something in shooting we be losing with RL, whereas Franklin seems to offer a lot of what Durham does just from descriptions.

Reactions: mazz
the good news is, this doesn't have to be decided now. We can take 3 now, and it could turn in to a 4 man class next spring, it a transfer is known at that point or anticipated. And, who knows, RL may be back, so it may only be a 2 man class. As IUScott has pointed out, no one expected Miles Bridges to come back and I think he was similarly rated as RL.

But, a 6'10" big with guard skills doesn't do us any good if he can't get off the bench, so if Moore goes through another year of not playing, he may well want to transfer. It's a totally different situation than CTC, and I think any worry about oversigning ad nauseum is unnecessary. I like your ideal, but I'd also be thrilled with TJD, Brooks and Newman. I feel like he adds something in shooting we be losing with RL, whereas Franklin seems to offer a lot of what Durham does just from descriptions.

Romeo is a one year guy. There are very few scenarios where he stays for 2 and they’re unlikely enough that they’re not worth thinking about.

Reactions: IUgradman
Romeo is a one year guy. There are very few scenarios where he stays for 2 and they’re unlikely enough that they’re not worth thinking about.

And that differs from what everyone was saying about Miles Bridges 2 years ago, how? I think he will be a one and done, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he'd stay another year.

Drives me nuts.

are you saying clifton moore is going to be 6'10" 240 with guard skills? i'll have what you're having.

There's a thing called development, and bigs tend to take longer.

There's no one we are recruiting other than Hurt (assuming that TJD is a done deal) that I'd rather have over the potential of a junior Cliffton...who is currently at 230-235 in weight after arriving at 190.

Maybe some of you are hoping that Justin Smith or Hunter transfer so we can take four??

Don't forget we only have 2 juniors (Davis and Green) and we are building some strong relationships with 2020 kids so...see where this leads when you bring in more than you have room?

Perpetually young and an inconsistent roster.

That's how Crean builds rosters.

Luckily I don't think Archie will. I just shake my head when our fans wish list doesn't add up without a transfer no one wants to talk about specifically.

Seriously though, I'm hoping no one transfers. I like our players. I like their potential. I love having a drama free off-season.

I also know if we bring in a guy like Franklin people will be hoping that he transfers after two years of not playing much for the fresh blood. That's what fans do.

There's no one we are recruiting other than Hurt (assuming that TJD is a done deal) that I'd rather have over the potential of a junior Cliffton...who is currently at 230-235 in weight after arriving at 190.

Maybe some of you are hoping that Justin Smith or Hunter transfer so we can take four??

Don't forget we only have 2 juniors (Davis and Green) and we are building some strong relationships with 2020 kids so...see where this leads when you bring in more than you have room?

Luckily I don't think Archie will. I just shake my head when our fans wish list doesn't add up without a transfer no one wants to talk about specifically.

Seriously though, I'm hoping no one transfers. I like our players. I like their potential. I love having a drama free off-season.

I also know if we bring in a guy like Franklin people will be hoping that he transfers after two years of not playing much for the fresh blood. That's what fans do.
i'm already convinced smith can play. moore, we'll see.

With a 4 man class next year (Romeo, Morgan, Fitz, and ? gone)....

2 Seniors (Davis, Green)
4 Juniors (Al, Smith, Thompson (RS), Moore)
4 Sophomore (Hunter, Anderson, Forester, Phinisee)
4 Freshman

That's not a young roster. Especially if one of the sophomores transfer....which would be the likely case.

How about this scenario.

We take two in the fall. TJD and a guard.

We have an amazing season and Romeo becomes the lottery pick that we expect. Archie is seen as the next big deal which raises our recruiting profile nationally.

Romeo declares and we either.....

1. Sign Brooks in the spring
2. Miss on Brooks and grab another grad transfer to complete the roster.

Now we have three spots again for 2020 and with a nationally raised profile we are legit threats for more impact players, plus have the room for a one and done and a foundational guy.

Get into a rhythm of three man classes on average for a perfect blend of experience and talent.

Dominate the world in the 2020's.

Drives me nuts.

Something about Carlton bugs me, I'd prefer Lewis. I think he has a better and more intuitive game. Plus he's longer and more athletic. Lewis already knows what to do with the ball or his body before the play develops, he's ahead of the play mentally. Carlton reacts to the play or decides what to do after getting the ball, he's behind the play, if you get what I mean.. I think Lewis has more court awareness and a better b-ball IQ and though a combo, a better court sense for PG.

Last edited:
Something about Carlton bugs me, I'd prefer Lewis. I think he has a better and more intuitive game. Plus he's longer and more athletic. Lewis already knows what to do with the ball or his body before the play develops, he's ahead of the play mentally. Carlton reacts to the play or decides what to do after getting the ball, he's behind the play, if you get what I mean.. I think Lewis has more court awareness and a better b-ball IQ and though a combo, a better court sense for PG.

I thought Lewis eliminated us?

I thought Lewis eliminated us?
Yea, I read that here too but it wasn't an article it was from posters. I found an article dated after he supposedly dropped us mentioning an IU visit forthcoming. He missed his original visit date because of team USA trials but IU is still on his list (or was as of mid June) of schools he's going to schedule for official or unofficial. I have no clue where the rumor he dropped us is coming from. Peegs?

Last edited:
Reactions: moneyadvisor
And that differs from what everyone was saying about Miles Bridges 2 years ago, how? I think he will be a one and done, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he'd stay another year.

I think too many IU fans are putting too much hope in him staying a second year. Unless he pulls a miles bridges (mistake) he’s one and done. Even if he gets injured his potential is such that he’ll still go pro.

I think too many IU fans are putting too much hope in him staying a second year. Unless he pulls a miles bridges (mistake) he’s one and done. Even if he gets injured his potential is such that he’ll still go pro.
He's not staying two years. He's already projected lottery and as high as five in next years draft. Severe injury (will drop his draft status) or a really bad year is the only way he ends up staying.

C A R T O N.

I hear you. I'm always a little nervous when a high school kid is physically more advanced than comps. Carton looks like a stocky farm boy and power is supposedly his game. That works well vs 16 year olds.

I was a Tyrell Terry guy (skinny but amazing vision. Super heady. Shot well and had a great assist to turnover ratio...of course it helps to play with Hurt, lol) but we bickered about it on the pay board. Most wanted Carton, I suspect it was because of their ranking numbers.

I haven't seen enough of Carton to see what you said...but what I saw tended to be a physical advantage vs a skill advantage like I feel Terry has.

As you know anyone can develop physically as they get older with the right training. Only special players have the skills they do (per your point).

Reactions: T.M.P.
Clifton will play and be better. Not sure why he is the guy people expect to transfer. I have no facts but I hope he rocks.
Go Hoosiers!
I think it's partially from disappointment due to unrealistic expectations for him heading into last season. Some on this board thought he'd be a OAD and then he didn't play much. Partially due to impatience and thinking players won't improve. The "if he didn't play much in year one he must not be very good and never will be" mentality.

I think it's partially from disappointment due to unrealistic expectations for him heading into last season. Some on this board thought he'd be a OAD and then he didn't play much. Partially due to impatience and thinking players won't improve. The "if he didn't play much in year one he must not be very good and never will be" mentality.

The fact that a one legged Collin Hartman and a 6'4" Freddie McSwain played ahead of him says a lot. If he sees decent minutes this season he's likely the most improved player in the country by a mile. I hope it happens but not counting on it.

The fact that a one legged Collin Hartman and a 6'4" Freddie McSwain played ahead of him says a lot. If he sees decent minutes this season he's likely the most improved player in the country by a mile. I hope it happens but not counting on it.

That's not it at all. The kid was 190-200 pounds when he got here.

He was an nameless guard his whole life until he hit a growth spurt late.

He didn't play on the competitive circuits in HS, and he was kindof hidden in HS (try to find highlight videos of him). So his first real taste of the level he needs to be at on a consistent basis was last year. Of course he's going to be overwhelmed.

On the plus side, as TMP stated in a previous post...he's got GREAT patience when he goes up to block shots. He's freakishly long...at 6'10". If he's just a freakish defensive post presence, that's worth a spot in my eyes.

His footwork is awful. Are you really surprised being he was a guard his whole life that he's a little lost on post offense? He can be taught footwork and with repetition can develop it, but it is going to take some time.

He's not and wasn't ready out of the box. He's probably not going to be ready this year either...but he should be better. I'm not expecting much from him other than improvement.

He already said he's over 230 weight wise.

He's also supposedly a very, very strong student (and we have APR issues currently thanks to Crean. We have to be above 950 the next three years).

Is he a wild card...absolutely. He might end up being a bench warmer. However I'm going to be pissed if we spend two years developing him, then (if Crean was here) pushed out for another kid we'll want to push out in two years and I've gotta watch him start and be a solid, dynamic player for whatever school he goes to.

I'd rather he leave right now if the consensus is we want him to transfer so we can take four and stop wasting the staff's time.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I had a feeling Curtis was going to move on just because of his facial expressions. He just didn't look happy. I said something on here about it and got slammed. I didn't want him to leave. I just thought he would.
*eyeroll*

There's also a thing called a barren or flawed roster, and last year was it. Not getting off the bench last year, especially after Davis went down, is not a good sign no matter how you slice it. I'm not saying punt, nor do I want him to transfer, but I'm reserved on the idea that he's going to blossom in to a big contributor, especially with the increased competition for minutes. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, because if he can get minutes now, he'll have earned them.

If Newman signs to Broilerz then he'll just be some 3 star scrub that wasn't good enough for IU ;)

That is BS. If he feels he may not get the PT he wants at IU, then PU might be a better situation for him, but regardless he is obviously good enough to wear the jersey. Run along.

What it says is that the coaching staff thought that last season the best chance to win was giving the minutes to two seniors over a freshman that obviously wasn't ready at the time. It says nothing about what the coaching staff feels his potential is going forward. By your logic, Race must be even worse since he saw 0 minutes last season.

I can tell which of the two groups I listed you belong to. Moore may turn out to be Priller 2.0 or maybe not. It may also take more than one season to reach his potential. I trust the coaching staff who sees him every day in practice over some random person on the internet to determine whether or not he deserves to be on the team.

Reactions: ORG

I don't see anyone saying they are hoping for any certain person to leave but when there are over 700 transfers a year you should expect some turnover.

Bumping this to get the Gilis thread off the top. Newman would be a good addition, but isn't my first choice. I only want 1 five star, but will take whoever we get.

Drives me nuts.

I think it depends on how Moore develops on the court and less how his body develops. Yeah, they can be related, but we have had several thin 4's and 5's that did pretty well. If he is the one that transfers, it would say more about where he saw himself fitting in. He practices with these guys and he would know where he stood.

I have seen people wanting Carton, but I would prefer a 2 that could play right away. If that is Newman, then let's go get him. I keep hearing more about Hunter playing the 2. He may need some help or experience at the college level to improve his handle, but he would be a tough match up at is size and length. Archie will sort out our depth at the guard position. He has had a chance to see Phinisee and how Durham and Green have worked in the off season. I expect he will know soon what we need. He might just go after the best player at either guard position (or both) and add a combination of any of the 5 stars we are recruiting.

In Archie We Trust

I don't see anyone saying they are hoping for any certain person to leave but when there are over 700 transfers a year you should expect some turnover.

Yeah but it's chicken and egg theory. You don't over commit/over sign based on a statistical average unless you are Tom Crean or you're managing your fantasy football roster.

You only play ten at the most so you are already having to manage four who are going to be unhappy...which leads to chemistry issues, etc.

Why add any drama of being over committed.

What if Moore and Devonte have giant breakout seasons?

Do we switch our bottom ten % mentality to Hunter?

I've always thought it was dumb and still do.

If a guy isn't cutting it then you cut them loose now and stop wasting everyone's time, like Galon.

Over committing and then saying ''it will work itself out' is a stupid way to manage your roster and it will eventually burn you (see Crean and 'Creaning'...see Crean after he wanted Stan Robinson instead of Buss Patterson, and later didn't want Stan).

You really want to Crean a guy with the potential of Moore for a couple of 4/3 star shooting guards?? Who probably won't contribute until their sophomore years at the earliest??

Again, that's dumb to me.

Take two and then wait on Keon...or take three and tell Keon if a spot opens up we'll get back in (which is what I'm guessing is going to happen so everyone should be happy in IU land).

ADVERTISEMENT