ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Feeney hit hard by COVID

No I want him to be sick. How ridiculous. He may be “with the team” but considering his mom wrote today that he’s having heart issues, I’m not sure what that exactly means. Obviously that he’s Covid free, so that’s great news. But if he had to deal with permanent heart damage, not so great.
To be clear, it's not been said that the heart issue is tied to Brady having gone through Covid. It just meant that due to him having it, he got multiple tests done and a blood screen, which revealed the condition. While we don't (and can't possibly yet) know the long-term effects of the virus, we also need to avoid lumping every health issue in with this.

If the risks are as bad as you say (and I'm not arguing that they aren't) then why not just put a pin in school all together instead of continuing with the charade that there is any real learning going on....particularly for the younger kids.
Charade is a good word for a lot of what people are doing: opening schools, football practice, bars and restaurants, all of it. Very little learning, player development, or socializing is going on, and the attempts to will away reality is going to end up biting us in the ass.

3. 3 shitty teachers. And our story isn't unusual. I'm not slamming teachers. I'm just skeptical of Virtual Learning.
Good afternoon: I'm a chief learning officer by profession for a large well known company. Starts with a "T" and we make cars. Lots of cars. Huge grin! I'd like to comment on distance learning. Distance learning is here to stay and has been for a while. Schools are actually way behind in this space in the US. Lots of research regarding distance learning both pros and cons. Pros outweigh cons by a mile.
Bottom line; doesn't matter if you like it. What matters is: do you know how to exploit it not just use it? It's been my experience that support stakeholders i.e. parents and teachers should also be taught how to use and support the platform and the assignments. Huge paradigm shift.
My advice is get used to it and make it work for you and your family. Good luck.
Respectfully, Go Hoosiers!

To be clear, it's not been said that the heart issue is tied to Brady having gone through Covid. It just meant that due to him having it, he got multiple tests done and a blood screen, which revealed the condition. While we don't (and can't possibly yet) know the long-term effects of the virus, we also need to avoid lumping every health issue in with this.
Two things.

First, his mom stated the following: "Here was a kid in perfect health, great physical condition and due to the virus ended up going to the ER because of breathing issues." I think it's safe to assume he had no preexisting cardiac condition.

Second, there's this . . .

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-causes-heart-damage-healthy-people.html

People need to stop minimizing this insidious and dangerous disease. That was the essence of Brady's mom's message.

Good afternoon: I'm a chief learning officer by profession for a large well known company. Starts with a "T" and we make cars. Lots of cars. Huge grin! I'd like to comment on distance learning. Distance learning is here to stay and has been for a while. Schools are actually way behind in this space in the US. Lots of research regarding distance learning both pros and cons. Pros outweigh cons by a mile.
Bottom line; doesn't matter if you like it. What matters is: do you know how to exploit it not just use it? It's been my experience that support stakeholders i.e. parents and teachers should also be taught how to use and support the platform and the assignments. Huge paradigm shift.
My advice is get used to it and make it work for you and your family. Good luck.

If "it" is a platform, not only do we not know how to use "it" or exploit "it" there isn't even an "it" to use or exploit.

I'm pro teacher. I'm pro education. I don't want these teachers and administrators to get laid off. I want kids to have success. I'm a reasonable guy. I'm not some ahole making this stuff up. Just relaying the experience that my family had.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Just pointing out that we have no idea whether he is cleared to play.

All we know is he was cleared to be back with the team. I think we can all agree we want a full recovery for Brady.
My reply wasn't to you. I see that someone says he's been held out of practice until they can learn more about his conditionfi

Definitely hope for a complete recovery.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Kaplan University, aka Purdue, has offered online classes for quite a while.

It can be done effectively, but not by teachers who have only been trained in the classroom. There needs to be a better plan for online learning and I don't think the majority of teachers are trained well enough in it.

I also think we need to start thinking this virus not only as deaths, but what it can do to you in permanent lung and heart damage.

My sister has been told because of what she went through, her lungs are permanently damaged. Her doc thinks she will probably be on oxygen by the time she's 60 and it will definitely affect her live when she's older.

It's not bad for everyone but for those that it is, it can do some real damage.

If "it" is a platform, not only do we not know how to use "it" or exploit "it" there isn't even an "it" to use or exploit.

I'm pro teacher. I'm pro education. I don't want these teachers and administrators to get laid off. I want kids to have success. I'm a reasonable guy. I'm not some ahole making this stuff up. Just relaying the experience that my family had.
I hear ya. Your comments were cool from my standpoint. Totadidn't come across as anything but real to me.

I'm pro teacher. I'm pro education. I don't want these teachers and administrators to get laid off. I want kids to have success. I'm a reasonable guy. I'm not some a hole making this stuff up. Just relaying the experience that my family had.
Your post was totally reasonable. That's why I responded. I have many people I work with trying to navigate in the same waters. By all accounts it's horrible. Good luck to you and your family. Respectfully,

I also believe distance learning is here to stay and this pandemic has forced it to the forefront; like it or not. I also agree with those who believe we (the U.S.) are far behind in terms of online education. The reality is we still have many households (a number that may shock most people) without the technology necessary to get their kid(s) online. One local school here in Florida issued 1400 devices to families in need (in March) and they are reporting at least 700 still missing/unreturned and many other devices damaged upon return. This post is not an attempt to side-track the thread but the reality is distance learning cannot achieve success at any level if students do not have quality online devices necessary to participate in such learning.

You're making the best decision for your family. As are we. I'm honestly more concerned about the mental health of my daughter than anything.

If the risks are as bad as you say (and I'm not arguing that they aren't) then why not just put a pin in school all together instead of continuing with the charade that there is any real learning going on....particularly for the younger kids.
Well, it is certainly supposed to work better than what you said was the case in the spring. And I think it will be much better with the added time to plan and develop new strategies. But if you had 3 crappy teachers, it could be a more widespread issue with your school district. If you have to go through it again, I certainly hope you get better teachers and they can utilize the system much better for your child.

Last edited:
Well, it is certainly supposed to work better than what you said was the case in the spring. And I think it will be much better with the added time to plan and develop new strategies. But if you had 3 crappy teachers, it could be a more widespread issue with your school district. If you have to go through it again, I certainly hope you get better teachers and they can utilize the system much better for your child.

The teachers were fine, really better than fine, right up until March. They had no mechanism in place to effectively teach the kids soo they didn't really try. That's my only beef with any of this.

So given that, I'm worried about what Virtual Learning will look like now. They say it will be better. But they also never said it bad last year. So we shall see. But I'm skeptical. Which was my only point of any of this back and forth.

The teachers were fine, really better than fine, right up until March. They had no mechanism in place to effectively teach the kids soo they didn't really try. That's my only beef with any of this.

So given that, I'm worried about what Virtual Learning will look like now. They say it will be better. But they also never said it bad last year. So we shall see. But I'm skeptical. Which was my only point of any of this back and forth.
I noticed that, while several knocked you for your information, I haven't heard a single one claim that off-site learning has been anywhere close to being as effective as classroom teaching.

I also noticed no one who actually has a kid in school claimed they were pleased with off-site learning.

It's all theory about how it should work. Stick to your guns.

We’d all like our kids or grandkids to be in school and thriving. It’s clear now some wouldn’t thrive and some will make their relatives sick or dead. This is historic.
We can’t expect to get out unfazed, we can only try to control the fazing. Dead is worst, impaired for life is serious especially for younger people. Only then do we come to put out of business.

We’d all like our kids or grandkids to be in school and thriving. It’s clear now some wouldn’t thrive and some will make their relatives sick or dead. This is historic.
We can’t expect to get out unfazed, we can only try to control the fazing. Dead is worst, impaired for life is serious especially for younger people. Only then do we come to put out of business.

Grandma and grandpa won't be getting visits from our kids once school starts.

Grandma and grandpa won't be getting visits from our kids once school starts.
Just as an FYI, our 18 month old granddaughter (we are 66 and 63 - I have have cancer in remission and down to one kidney) has been in day care since last April or May. We see her at least twice a week. I don't know how others feel about it, but if I can't see her and live as normal a life as I can, then live isn't worth living.

A few weeks ago, one of the caregivers tested positive and kids in those classrooms were kept out a few days, but the place was sanitized and the kids are back. We take what precautions we can and she - our granddaughter - was actually tested after she developed the sniffles. Thankfully, she was negative.

Just as an FYI, our 18 month old granddaughter (we are 66 and 63 - I have have cancer in remission and down to one kidney) has been in day care since last April or May. We see her at least twice a week. I don't know how others feel about it, but if I can't see her and live as normal a life as I can, then live isn't worth living.

A few weeks ago, one of the caregivers tested positive and kids in those classrooms were kept out a few days, but the place was sanitized and the kids are back. We take what precautions we can and she - our granddaughter - was actually tested after she developed the sniffles. Thankfully, she was negative.

My dad is 73 and high risk. But he also lives alone and we are his only outlet so it will be a delicate balance for sure.

Reactions: DANC
I have a 6th grader to be. Her teachers flat out vanished in March. And we are in one of the best school systems in Indiana. Of course they “can” receive a good education. But will they? Some will. Many won’t. We’ll see. I have next to no confidence in virtual learning.

My 6th grader is currently doing the 2 days at school and the 3 days of e-learning. He told me that the e-learning is a hoot with all the kids and their laptops. Kids all have their cameras enabled and so you can see what everyone is doing.
He said one kid got up in the middle of a lesson and started jumping around on his bed. Another kid forgot his mic was on and could be seen pretending to drum and sing. Other kids booted up their session but were nowhere to be found as the camera just showed an empty chair.

I still thought, as much as I love football and basketball seasons, that they should have held off for a cycle and resumed in 2021. However, Michigan just issued a statement saying if they don’t play or get cancelled this year, they’d stand to lose up to $100 million in football revenue. No way they would allow that.

Reactions: DANC

Your granddaughter is in a daycare with a few other kids. We're talking about college kids going back to school with 50,000 other kids. That's apples and kumquats man.

PS - As a cancer survivor myself, good luck .

Reactions: Bowlmania

Glad everything turned out okay there.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Your granddaughter is in a daycare with a few other kids. We're talking about college kids going back to school with 50,000 other kids. That's apples and kumquats man.

PS - As a cancer survivor myself, good luck .
I don't think a college kid hobnobs with 50,000 other kids. I know I didn't. I had the ones in my dorm or apartment and those in my class.

I don't know if you know it or not, but small children are like petri dishes - they spread germs like crazy.

Glad everything turned out okay there.
Thanks. I never had a bit of trouble, health-wise, until I got heat stroke, my kidneys shut down, and they found a tumor on my kidney. If they hadn't done that, I very well might not be here. Once kidney cancer spreads, it's lights out. I had stage 3, so it might have gotten outside the kidney or it might not. I'm 2 years out, with a year of chemo pills, and I'm clear so far. I have 3 more to go before I'm considered cancer free.

But I'm grateful for the time I have.

Thanks. I never had a bit of trouble, health-wise, until I got heat stroke, my kidneys shut down, and they found a tumor on my kidney. If they hadn't done that, I very well might not be here. Once kidney cancer spreads, it's lights out. I had stage 3, so it might have gotten outside the kidney or it might not. I'm 2 years out, with a year of chemo pills, and I'm clear so far. I have 3 more to go before I'm considered cancer free.

Man, crazy how that worked out. I lost my grandpa to cancer last year. Ugly disease.

Definitely pulling for you.

Fellow Renel Cell Carcinoma Hoosier fan here DANC. Had my left kidney removed; the tumor was the size of a football. Eight years out now and nothing but great results with every MRI, CT scan, and x-ray. The worst is behind you now. Welcome to the survivors club.

Fellow Renel Cell Carcinoma Hoosier fan here DANC. Had my left kidney removed; the tumor was the size of a football. Eight years out now and nothing but great results with every MRI, CT scan, and x-ray. The worst is behind you now. Welcome to the survivors club.
Thanks, buddy. Much appreciated.

I had my right one removed - I don't think the tumor was that big.

Sounds like you have it licked. I get nervous every time I have to go see the oncologist, but I don't worry about it too much. Just glad to still be here!

Know a friend of mine who 4 years ago started getting blood on his urine. He was 45 at the time. He is a medical professional and didn’t wait an instant. Got to Mayo immediately. He had a tumor the size of a golf ball in his left kidney. He was 45 at the time. His body actually did something as a defense mechanism that sounds very rare: it completely encapsulated the tumor, prevented it from metastisizing outside the kidney and retained practically all the healthy tissue in his kidney.. it was removed and was cancer but was basically walled off inside a fluid type bubble.

Know a friend of mine who 4 years ago started getting blood on his urine. He was 45 at the time. He is a medical professional and didn’t wait an instant. Got to Mayo immediately. He had a tumor the size of a golf ball in his left kidney. He was 45 at the time. His body actually did something as a defense mechanism that sounds very rare: it completely encapsulated the tumor, prevented it from metastisizing outside the kidney and retained practically all the healthy tissue in his kidney.. it was removed and was cancer but was basically walled off inside a fluid type bubble.
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I went to my physician every 6 months and did complete blood work each time. All my kidney readings were well within the normal range. And yet, the nephrologist said the tumor had been there for 6 or 7 years.

There's no way they would have caught that without doing an ultrasound, MRI, or CT scan.

Your friend was fortunate. The human body is amazing.

I don't think a college kid hobnobs with 50,000 other kids. I know I didn't. I had the ones in my dorm or apartment and those in my class.

I don't know if you know it or not, but small children are like petri dishes - they spread germs like crazy.

It's not about being around all 50,000 at once. They're coming from all over the world and going into dorms, classrooms, cafeterias, bars, houses, parties, and so on in mixed groups. A few kids at a daycare is much more manageable. If 100 football players are spreading it among themselves, then there will be a massive spike once the students are all back.

Reactions: red hornet
It's not about being around all 50,000 at once. They're coming from all over the world and going into dorms, classrooms, cafeterias, bars, houses, parties, and so on in mixed groups. A few kids at a daycare is much more manageable. If 100 football players are spreading it among themselves, then there will be a massive spike once the students are all back.
I don't think you realize how contact tracing works. 10 kids in a daycare go back home to, usually, 2 parents. Those parents have interacted with many other people, including relatives and strangers. The effects can be spread far and wide.

You're changing the argument anyway. We were talking about grade schools, not colleges or football teams. I don't think those are dissimilar to a day care.

Did you see where Louisville get three players off of their soccer team because they had organised a party in direct conflict with established distancing requirements.
Things are getting really crazy! Next we're going to hear that students are having premarital sex and are drinking underage. Or even worse!

Reactions: UncleMark
I don't think you realize how contact tracing works. 10 kids in a daycare go back home to, usually, 2 parents. Those parents have interacted with many other people, including relatives and strangers. The effects can be spread far and wide.

You're changing the argument anyway. We were talking about grade schools, not colleges or football teams. I don't think those are dissimilar to a day care.

1st of all, this thread is about Brady Feeney, who is in college at IU. This thread was about colleges and football teams, until the distance learning came up. Your anecdote about your granddaughter isn't close to what's going to happen at IU once they're fully back in session. Will entire dorms have to quarantine after positive cases? We have no idea and this is all uncharted territory. 50,000 students come from all over the world back to Bloomington very soon. Some will stay until the break, others will return home for weekend trips. Trying to trace all of that is going to be a nightmare. A daycare with 10 kids is easy to trace in comparison.

Reactions: Bowlmania
1st of all, this thread is about Brady Feeney, who is in college at IU. This thread was about colleges and football teams, until the distance learning came up. Your anecdote about your granddaughter isn't close to what's going to happen at IU once they're fully back in session. Will entire dorms have to quarantine after positive cases? We have no idea and this is all uncharted territory. 50,000 students come from all over the world back to Bloomington very soon. Some will stay until the break, others will return home for weekend trips. Trying to trace all of that is going to be a nightmare. A daycare with 10 kids is easy to trace in comparison.
Um, there are several hundred kids in this large day-care/pre-school.

If you can't follow a logical discussion, it's best to just stay out of it.

Reactions: Bligedy
I live in Chapel Hill. The county health officer has asked UNC to do virtual classes for five weeks, the faculty is pretty concerned about opening as scheduled yet students keep coming. UNC's current administration was named by Republicans and seems to not be changing the plans.

My family and I are moderately well insulated from campus and any craziness, and there will be craziness. A phone movie of tens of young women coming out of (I assume) a sorority house with no masks, no distancing and clearly no sense made the news. I don't see our smartest young people being smart or wise enough to carry this off for more than a week or two before it becomes obvious UNC is a super-spreader. What will happen then is anyone's guess.

Reactions: red hornet
The U.S. is "down" to about 53,000 new cases a day, and new cases have fallen for three straight weeks. With the return of kids to school, though, there's absolutely no way this trend continues. Our testing remains woefully inadequate, people continue to wait far too long for results, and millions in the U.S. continue to view the pandemic as no big deal, or as on the way out. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a spike to 75,000+ daily cases come September. It could be a long fall and winter.

So he didnt die he just got real sick which happens every year with healthy young people. like, wtf??

I know you're likely too far down the "just another virus" rabbit hole, but just in case some others out there are open to facts......

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

"People can get myocardial inflammation, feel fine and never know it, Drezner said. He said most athletes who get myocarditis will be able to safely return to sports after a restriction of activity for three to six months. But he said that in some cases, the inflammation can turn to scar tissue and put the patient at risk for an irregular heartbeat that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest, which can be triggered by exercise.

A study published in July in JAMA Cardiology found that out of 100 adult patients in Germany who had recovered from the COVID-19 infection, 60% had findings of ongoing myocardial inflammation. A recent review of myocarditis listed with the National Center for Biotechnology Information cites some estimates that find 1% to 5% of all patients with acute viral infections may involve the myocardium, or the muscular tissue, of the heart."

ADVERTISEMENT