ADVERTISEMENT

Brad's best exit strategy.....

Harpo Marxist

Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2002
Wouldn't it make sense for Brad to leave Boston without the pressure of, or actual termination? Wouldn't being in the position to either stay or go be the best scenario to make a change? It affords him the privilege of leaving on his own terms, and seals the need for Boston to make the change that appears on the horizon too, to some extent anyway.

To me, that is a successful exit....leaving a winner of several Eastern division titles, but not on the downward spiral.

I know....pro coaches change like car salesmen...but, I think this guy's reputation matters to him quite a bit.

Reactions: arrers
Here's something Mark Titus discussed on his emergency podcast:

Golden State is at an inflection point where they have to make a decision on whether to "tank." If they choose to go that route, they would have a championship-caliber coach in Steve Kerr sitting on the bench enduring the "tanking" years. If Golden State is ready to make a move now, Boston could let Brad Stevens go and bring in Steve Kerr.

Wouldn't it make sense for Brad to leave Boston without the pressure of, or actual termination? Wouldn't being in the position to either stay or go be the best scenario to make a change? It affords him the privilege of leaving on his own terms, and seals the need for Boston to make the change that appears on the horizon too, to some extent anyway.

To me, that is a successful exit....leaving a winner of several Eastern division titles, but not on the downward spiral.

I know....pro coaches change like car salesmen...but, I think this guy's reputation matters to him quite a bit.

Ive see it mentioned somewhere that NBA coaches technically cannot just resign, or at least resign to take another coaching job. Kind of like player contracts, teams effectively own the rights for coaches who need to be released/fired to take another job. Although, I don’t see a benefit for a team to force a coach to stay, especially since the primary purpose is prevent tampering by competing NBA teams not leaving for a college team. But nevertheless, the Celtics actually do have a say in how this plays out.

Ive see it mentioned somewhere that NBA coaches technically cannot just resign, or at least resign to take another coaching job. Kind of like player contracts, teams effectively own the rights for coaches who need to be released/fired to take another job. Although, I don’t see a benefit for a team to force a coach to stay, especially since the primary purpose is prevent tampering by competing NBA teams not leaving for a college team. But nevertheless, the Celtics actually do have a say in how this plays out.
It depends on what his contract says. There could be financial consequences for him if he quits and takes another job within x amount of time, who knows? As far as just quitting though, I'm sure he could without problems. It's like I tell my wife every time we fake sick and don't work ... what are they gonna do, email me, tell me I'm not really sick and they're coming to pick me up :) There could be punitive clauses in his contract though if he quits and say takes another coaching position within like a year or something. I could see that.

Simple. Tell Danny Ainge that you're taking the IU job. You're leaving whenever the season ends or whenever Danny tells him to whichever comes first. You know what Danny would say and it would likely be best for both parties.
you're absolutely right. so simple even a caveman could do it. you know., KISS

Reactions: HillzHoozier
I would anticipate nothing short of a neat and tidy, mutually agreed upon exit. Stevens just comes across that way. Now, all we need to know is.....can it happen?

Reactions: outlawyer
I believe that is true in that they cannot just resign and take another coaching job within the NBA. They can, however, resign and take a college job or high school job.

I believe that is true in that they cannot just resign and take another coaching job within the NBA. They can, however, resign and take a college job or high school job.

it’s really uncharted territory, the situation of an NBA to NCAA move is not common, and NBA contracts aren’t public, so no one really knows what the terms and restrictions are.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
you're absolutely right. so simple even a caveman could do it. you know., KISS
I think it probably would be that simple. They don't want him there if he is going to take the IU job and it would make both he and the C's look bad if it plays out and he leaves... unless they get to the NBA finals minimum. BS leaving also could likely take some heat of DA... sort of pin the blame for this bad season on Brad and gives DA some time to make some changes... or maybe an interim gives them a bump and they do start playing better. I said yesterday, if I was BS, I'd go to DA and say IU is interested and I want to know where things stand with the Cs because aside fromt the job I have, the IU job is the only other one I'd want. Are the Cs going to keep me for another year regardless, or what would they expect for that to happen? It really allows both of them to push a bit of a reset and affords them some flexibility. If the Cs don't improve and at least make it to the Finals, I think BS is probably done (maybe not if they rebound and make the EC finals, but they've already done that so I think Cs fans really expect more). And, NBA finals are a bit of a pipe dream unless someone at Brooklyn gets hurt.

Well, he's under contract and while I have no idea what an NBA contract looks like I'd have to assume that it covers both participants. Meaning that Stevens can't just up and quit in the middle of the contract without some sort of financial liability...or so I'm guessing.

For sake of argument, let's assume Stevens is on board with making the move. He had the steak at St Elmos and digs what Dolson had to say. He's on board with the 7 years and $49 million that is being tossed around. Now he just needs out of Boston. That's what is happening now. The suits are sitting around the table negotiating the numbers for Brad's exit from the Celtics. And when Dolson talked about the two donors, this is what mystery donor #2 was paying for.

There you go.

Well, he's under contract and while I have no idea what an NBA contract looks like I'd have to assume that it covers both participants. Meaning that Stevens can't just up and quit in the middle of the contract without some sort of financial liability...or so I'm guessing.

For sake of argument, let's assume Stevens is on board with making the move. He had the steak at St Elmos and digs what Dolson had to say. He's on board with the 7 years and $49 million that is being tossed around. Now he just needs out of Boston. That's what is happening now. The suits are sitting around the table negotiating the numbers for Brad's exit from the Celtics. And when Dolson talked about the two donors, this is what mystery donor #2 was paying for.

There you go.
I would say this is the most accurate description of what is very likely happening at this moment in time.

There you go.
while there may be some smoke here, and parties have even ever so slightly opened a dialogue....it is damm near impossible to keep it under wraps for the timeframe required...until Mid May isn't it? If he is coming....nothing can happen for several weeks, in order to keep the alphabet in order.

There you go.
Very likely, nobody is writing a 10.5M check unless they're really serious and not F'n around anymore. I don't care who you are, but you are not going to make that level of commitment to bail the athletic dept. out unless you know what's gonna happen.

Very likely this is the way these conversations went.

Donor: OK, yeah, I hate AM ball, everybody I know does, and I will pay the buyout if you can land someone great

Dolson: We think we can

Donor: OK 10.5M, I'm cool with that if it makes Archie go away

Dolson: Well, it's more than just that with legal etc.

Donor: Well, that's a lot of F'n money already, can't you get anybody else to help?

Dolson: Probably

Donor: OK, make it so

Dolson: Done

Donor: OK, let's do it

It might be the celtics best move, too. let him walk and you save yourself the trouble and expense of firing him in June.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Or there all laughing over a Sam Adams or 3, saying "can you believe these gullible rubes from Indiana?"

Well, of course that's why I said "for the sake of argument." It's more likely that Stevens is doing nothing except preparing for the Sacramento game on Friday. Or whoever Boston is playing.

Reactions: GALE60 and kkott
Yep which is why Doc Rivers was traded when he left. This is also why I think Brad would have to quit to negotiate with Indiana. Not that its a huge risk for him but he probably can't meet with IU without quitting which I why I can't believe rumors yet.

It might be the celtics best move, too. let him walk and you save yourself the trouble and expense of firing him in June.

whatever hurdles exist are certainly not insurmountable, and the Celtics and Stevens could mutually agree to part ways, but those hurdles are also likely nontrivial, and will need to be dealt with

Reactions: Bligedy and 76-1
They extended him in August 2020, didn't they?
"Fox Sports podcaster Mark Titus, an Indianapolis area native who once played AAU basketball for Stevens, went in depth on Wednesday night with his co-host Tate Frazier on the Titus & Tate show to discuss in detail why he thinks Stevens is listening to Indiana this time. His reasoning included:
  • The money is there. IU AD Scott Dolson has made it clear that booster money is available to IU Athletics in a way that it seemingly hasn’t been before, and Indiana could quite clearly pay Stevens more than what he makes in Boston.
  • Dolson said he is not establishing a formal search committee for the process of finding a new head coach.
  • Because of the money quickly obtained to buyout Archie Miller, fund the transition for a new coach, and the lack of a committee, it seems clear that a plan is already in place.
  • There has been very little noise or chatter involving other potential candidates.
  • Stevens’ was asked on Tuesday about his interest in the job and he gave what was at best a passive denial of his interest.
  • The “call home” is real for native Hoosiers.
  • There has been locker room tension in Boston going back to last September.
  • Stevens is potentially a better cultural fit in the college game as a teacher.
  • The Celtics are not content with their current product on the floor and may have their own grand plans such as going after Steve Kerr."
Something to ponder.....the fourth point is interesting.....he's right....no other names being seriously discussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jac79
"Fox Sports podcaster Mark Titus, an Indianapolis area native who once played AAU basketball for Stevens, went in depth on Wednesday night with his co-host Tate Frazier on the Titus & Tate show to discuss in detail why he thinks Stevens is listening to Indiana this time. His reasoning included:
  • The money is there. IU AD Scott Dolson has made it clear that booster money is available to IU Athletics in a way that it seemingly hasn’t been before, and Indiana could quite clearly pay Stevens more than what he makes in Boston.
  • Dolson said he is not establishing a formal search committee for the process of finding a new head coach.
  • Because of the money quickly obtained to buyout Archie Miller, fund the transition for a new coach, and the lack of a committee, it seems clear that a plan is already in place.
  • There has been very little noise or chatter involving other potential candidates.
  • Stevens’ was asked on Tuesday about his interest in the job and he gave what was at best a passive denial of his interest.
  • Stevens is potentially a better cultural fit in the college game as a teacher.
  • The Celtics are not content with their current product on the floor and may have their own grand plans such as going after Steve Kerr."
Something to ponder.....the fourth point is interesting.....he's right....no other names being seriously discussed.

I go back and forth on whether I think stevens is coming, but your fourth point is what has me leaning towards yes. The buzz about BS is obviously out there and at this point any other name is going to disappoint fans. Dolson has to know this, and I would think he would’ve come out publicly and said BS isn’t interested in the job if he’s not their guy.

Reactions: jacsmi
I go back and forth on whether I think stevens is coming, but your fourth point is what has me leaning towards yes. The buzz about BS is obviously out there and at this point any other name is going to disappoint fans. Dolson has to know this, and I would think he would’ve come out publicly and said BS isn’t interested in the job if he’s not their guy.
I don't think Dolson would say anything. If other Coaches want the job and its linked to Stevens in the media that's a negotiating tool for the AD. Generally speaking its best for all to say nothing until you piss someone like Ainge off and it becomes untenable.

What's the old saying:
Don't write when you can speak, Don't speak when you can nod, Don't nod when you can wink.

I don't think Dolson would say anything. If other Coaches want the job and its linked to Stevens in the media that's a negotiating tool for the AD. Generally speaking its best for all to say nothing until you piss someone like Ainge off and it becomes untenable.

What's the old saying:
Don't write when you can speak, Don't speak when you can nod, Don't nod when you can wink.
How many candidates want to be viewed as a back up plan, though? Second, third or fourth choice may not be so interested in a place that’s struggled, as well as one that would’ve preferred someone else.

I would guess the convo is more along the lines of:

Brad: "Danny, I want to stay and win a championship, BUT if there's any chance of me getting fired I don't want to miss the IU job"

Choice 1: Danny: "You are not on the hot seat, you will be back next year, you are my guy"

Choice 2: Danny: "Let's see how the season plays out, everyone gets evaluated after the season"

Choice 3: Danny: "Between you and me, unless this season turns around, there will be a lot of pressure from above to replace you".

Choice 1 I think he stays, Choice 2 and 3 maybe IU

The suits are sitting around the table negotiating the numbers for Brad's exit from the Celtics. And when Dolson talked about the two donors, this is what mystery donor #2 was paying for.
And Donor #2 knew he was paying to get Stevens, not someone else.

How many candidates want to be viewed as a back up plan, though? Second, third or fourth choice may not be so interested in a place that’s struggled, as well as one that would’ve preferred someone else.
It doesn't matter who is second... Why lessen your position?

Honest question: Which coach was REALLY the first choice when they were hired?
Mike Davis
Kelvin Sampson
Tom Crean
Archie Miller

Any takers? BTW.....I rarely use caps.....but this one demands it.

Brad’s exit strategy is the only thing that makes the deal iffy/difficult and time consuming. Ainge and the Celts will want this to play out in a way that serves them well both financially and to the media.
They will need it to appear as if this was their plan all along, with a clear transition plan of their own.
These are all professionals and no one will be held hostage to any contract they don’t want to be in.
Brad is a class act. I’d expect nothing less than due diligence from all parties. These things take time.
The thought of having a solid #2 and #3 in the back pocket, gives IU a bit more incentive to go all out. Plus, why keep spending the big money on buy outs instead of guaranteed money to the right coach?
Dolson gets it. His backers get it. Time to pay like the big boys.

If I was Brad, I'd leave BOS tonight and come home to coach IU, and I don't just mean that jokingly.

Titus isn't wrong at all. His stint w BOS seems to have run its course. This isn't 8 years ago.

He misses this chance and who knows if he ever gets it again, and this time he can't say "well I'm not even in year 4 of my BOS tenure and things are looking up" as a fallback.

BOS will run him out of town by this time next year unless he pulls up awfully quick.

IU will roll out the red mat for him and then some. Dream come true.

Reactions: Birnk403
If I was Brad, I'd leave BOS tonight and come home to coach IU, and I don't just mean that jokingly.

Titus isn't wrong at all. His stint w BOS seems to have run its course. This isn't 8 years ago.

He misses this chance and who knows if he ever gets it again, and this time he can't say "well I'm not even in year 4 of my BOS tenure and things are looking up" as a fallback.

BOS will run him out of town by this time next year unless he pulls up awfully quick.

IU will roll out the red mat for him and then some. Dream come true.

College legend or just another nba guy waiting to get fired?

seems like an easy choice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT