ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens/Future with Celtics

You said NO ONE. You were wrong. Players, perspective players, recruiting analysts, coaches. Precedent also suggested a number of schools should have been given the death penalty over the years because of what SMU did, but they didn't. But precedent. :p Or the flip side, a school gets hammered like USC despite precedent showing they shouldn't have been. But precedent. :p
Ok no one with more than half a brain...there I fixed it for you

Reactions: thoops7
O$U, the beacon of virtue.
Gee, anyone who served as an athletic administrator at an NCAA member school wouldn't stoop to your insinuation that OSU is dirty (especially someone who supposedly worked at another Big Ten school). Professional courtesies and ethics go a long way for those who truly served in such roles. Of course, anyone who served in such a role would also know that OSU employs nearly 20 people in their athletic department whose sole function is to ensure compliance with NCAA rules.

Some fans engage in these types of smears, but professional practitioners never do.

Please stop.

Last edited:
Gee, anyone who served as an athletic administrator at an NCAA member school wouldn't stoop to your insinuation that OSU is dirty (especially someone who supposedly worked at another Big Ten school). Professional courtesies and ethics go a long way for those who truly served in such roles. Of course, anyone who served in such a role would also know that OSU employs nearly 20 people in their athletic department whose sole function is to ensure compliance with NCAA rules.

Some fans engage in these types of smears, bit professional practitioners never do.

Please stop.

It seems like you've made your point on the non-issue of whether or not the other poster is/was an administrator or not. This is just a message board!! You realize that you also insinuate insider knowledge regularly. If you have it and you are willing to share great, otherwise nobody gives a crap. Just insinuating that you are an insider to tear down the opinions of others makes you appear far less than I'm sure you are.

Of course, you guys are free to discuss whatever you please, just as I'm free to post amateur hour data analysis. It just seems like you guys have much more to offer than this. On the rare occasions that you guys talk about something the rest of us are interested in it's presented very intelligently and worth reading. This other stuff though... not so much.

I'm sure a career in athletic administration is very rewarding and worthwhile, but lets be honest it's not like he's claiming to have been to the moon or won WW2 for the allies. If I'm wrong and it really is a position worth all of this debate, then please... pretty please, why don't you both put your cards on the table and lets be done with it.

If putting the cards on the table is a matter of national security or might cause your own personal safety to fall into risk, then by all means keep a lid on it.

It seems like you've made your point on the non-issue of whether or not the other poster is/was an administrator or not. This is just a message board!! You realize that you also insinuate insider knowledge regularly. If you have it and you are willing to share great, otherwise nobody gives a crap. Just insinuating that you are an insider to tear down the opinions of others makes you appear far less than I'm sure you are.

Of course, you guys are free to discuss whatever you please, just as I'm free to post amateur hour data analysis. It just seems like you guys have much more to offer than this. On the rare occasions that you guys talk about something the rest of us are interested in it's presented very intelligently and worth reading. This other stuff though... not so much.

I'm sure a career in athletic administration is very rewarding and worthwhile, but lets be honest it's not like he's claiming to have been to the moon or won WW2 for the allies. If I'm wrong and it really is a position worth all of this debate, then please... pretty please, why don't you both put your cards on the table and lets be done with it.

If putting the cards on the table is a matter of national security or might cause your own personal safety to fall into risk, then by all means keep a lid on it.
I've never once insinuated that I was a former athletic administrator as a means of legitimizing my views. That's solely been the tactic of becauseiknow. Unfortunately for him, he's tripped himself up along the way by stating / misstating certain things that reveal him to not be th insider he claims. As such, it calls virtually anything he says into question, given his willingness to be untruthful. Sorry if that concept somehow wasn't clear for you, or that you lacked the ability to comprehend it's deeper meaning.

I've never once insinuated that I was a former athletic administrator as a means of legitimizing my views.

Paterfamilias never said you've insinuated a role in AD's office. What he did correctly state was you've insinuated an insider's knowledge for years... in all your incarnations (I can list them if you'd like). And let's not debate this over the next two pages, as you're so apt to do.

I've never once insinuated that I was a former athletic administrator as a means of legitimizing my views. That's solely been the tactic of becauseiknow. Unfortunately for him, he's tripped himself up along the way by stating / misstating certain things that reveal him to not be th insider he claims. As such, it calls virtually anything he says into question, given his willingness to be untruthful. Sorry if that concept somehow wasn't clear for you, or that you lacked the ability to comprehend it's deeper meaning.

I guess I just fail to see how whether he was or was not an administrator adds or detracts from his opinions. He could be Bob Knight himself:) and it wouldn't sway my opinion if I disagree with him. Have at it if you must, maybe others get much more from that discussion than I do.

Paterfamilias never said you've insinuated a role in AD's office. What he did correctly state was you've insinuated an insider's knowledge for years... in all your incarnations (I can list them if you'd like). And let's not debate this over the next two pages, as you're so apt to do.
Never have I insinuated such, nor have I done so under other identities. If you have a relevant point, please make it. Otherwise, you seem to not have a valid purpose in the discussion, as your complete whiff of the point I made to Pater demonstrates.

I guess I just fail to see how whether he was or was not an administrator adds or detracts from his opinions. He could be Bob Knight himself:) and it wouldn't sway my opinion if I disagree with him. Have at it if you must, maybe others get much more from that discussion than I do.
I agree, you fail to understand the material issue here.

Some fans engage in these types of smears, but professional practitioners never do.

Please stop.

You couldn't be more off target. In fact, that is a blatant lie. Other athletic departments have turned other departments in for cheating, so don't even pretend for one minute that someone working at an athletic department wouldn't disparage another.

Case in point, our own Bob Knight, disparaging Lou Henson and other programs for the BS they were pulling. You have no idea what you are talking about. NONE. Who turned in Jimmy Collins at Illinois for the recruitment of Deon Thomas? Bruce Pearl did, and Bruce worked for the University of Iowa athletic department. By title, he was a coach and an administrator. So don't give me your ridiculous comments that anyone who served as an athletic administrator wouldn't stoop to that. BS. Ever get a chance to talk to some administrators from Michigan or Ohio State about the other schools? Ever talk to administrators from Kentucky and Louisville? How about USC and UCLA? You have no clue what you speak of. NONE.

I've been an administrator in athletics at a number of schools and conference offices in a long career. I no longer work for a living, which is nice. The only reason I mentioned the role is that I've had access to the workings of major athletic programs and league offices that few here have, so it's a special insight. I don't particularly care if the Spa believes me or not. At this point, I'm not helping him, partly because I still have friends at various departments and until they retire, I don't wish to have my name out there that would put them in any weird spot.

Again, appreciate your analysis here. Don't always agree with it, but the effort and the thinking is usually very sound.

You couldn't be more off target. In fact, that is a blatant lie. Other athletic departments have turned other departments in for cheating, so don't even pretend for one minute that someone working at an athletic department wouldn't disparage another.

Case in point, our own Bob Knight, disparaging Lou Henson and other programs for the BS they were pulling. You have no idea what you are talking about. NONE. Who turned in Jimmy Collins at Illinois for the recruitment of Deon Thomas? Bruce Pearl did, and Bruce worked for the University of Iowa athletic department. By title, he was a coach and an administrator. So don't give me your ridiculous comments that anyone who served as an athletic administrator wouldn't stoop to that. BS. Ever get a chance to talk to some administrators from Michigan or Ohio State about the other schools? Ever talk to administrators from Kentucky and Louisville? How about USC and UCLA? You have no clue what you speak of. NONE.
Neither Knight nor Pearl were athletic administrators, they were coaches. Your attempt to label them as something they were not as a means of making your point only demonstrates that you weren't what you claimed to be. Plenty of coaches have turned in other coaches, but no one would group them in with rank and file administrators. It's another tip that you aren't whom you claim to be, Jim. Kind of like your banner faux pas. So, where are the names, pictures and other references? Proof in support of your past should be easy to provide. You offered this recently via the IM function here which, conveniently, failed to provide access to you. Are you now rescinding that offer?

I've been an administrator in athletics at a number of schools and conference offices in a long career. I no longer work for a living, which is nice. The only reason I mentioned the role is that I've had access to the workings of major athletic programs and league offices that few here have, so it's a special insight. I don't particularly care if the Spa believes me or not. At this point, I'm not helping him, partly because I still have friends at various departments and until they retire, I don't wish to have my name out there that would put them in any weird spot.

Again, appreciate your analysis here. Don't always agree with it, but the effort and the thinking is usually very sound.

I have no reason not to believe you. I also believe that the spa at some point has been closer than most of us to the inner sanctum.

Those likely facts won't make me any more or less likely to agree or disagree with either of you. As I said before, you both provide very interesting reading when you are so inclined. Interesting reading is what we're all here for.

Never have I insinuated such, nor have I done so under other identities. If you have a relevant point, please make it. Otherwise, you seem to not have a valid purpose in the discussion, as your complete whiff of the point I made to Pater demonstrates.

Remember all those prior posts you've made to others about being dishonest? Yeah... I do.

irony-meter.jpg

Reactions: Paterfamilias

I think you missed the posts where know spoke rather condescendingly about his experience compared to the masses.

I think you missed the posts where know spoke rather condescendingly about his experience compared to the masses.

I probably did if it was recent. I have seen some of it in the past though. It seems like he's talked down to me on occasion too. I get it, but it's just not that interesting to me to watch people go back and forth about identity and occupation on a message board. I thought he had toned down his tendency to talk down to people recently.

Regardless, I probably shouldn't have tried to stick my nose it. I just thought maybe there might be a way to see them move past this fairly boring issue.

I probably did if it was recent. I have seen some of it in the past though. It seems like he's talked down to me on occasion too. I get it, but it's just not that interesting to me to watch people go back and forth about identity and occupation on a message board. I thought he had toned down his tendency to talk down to people recently.

Regardless, I probably shouldn't have tried to stick my nose it. I just thought maybe there might be a way to see them move past this fairly boring issue.
Yeah it's run its course

I have no reason not to believe you. I also believe that the spa at some point has been closer than most of us to the inner sanctum.

Now, that's funny. Thespa is merely a pot stirrer from way back. His user name I3 was synonymous with sanctimonious bull in defense of RMK and the Loopers.

Remember all those prior posts you've made to others about being dishonest? Yeah... I do.

irony-meter.jpg
No, this is about one poster's very specific claims. I do note, however, that you attributed to me an insinuation of "insider's knowledge" "for years" which I find unusual since I've only been a member here for just over a year and you just over two. Yours is a suspicious accusation, since neither of those periods constitute "years" by any reasonable definition. Your insinuation is obvious, even though it's inaccurate. It does strongly suggest that it is you, however, with the extended past under multiple names. That's the irony.

If I do he is doing a great imitation...right down to the repeated condescending posts aimed at weakly attempting to discredit other. He was/is quite tedious.

Is it possible for you to be any more literal? I picked an article to show and prove the ridiculous claim that "NO one, I repeat NO ONE thought the NCAA was coming down hard on IU" comment was just that, ridiculous. I could have spent time researching more, but this article proved the point clearly and succinctly. Whether it was recruits, recruiting experts, coaches, there was concern. Read the statements of Delany, Crean, Glass, etc, the day the actual penalities were released (3 years probation for IU). A great sense of relief.

Hindsight is 20/20, to claim no one thought the NCAA was coming down hard is absurd. This article is just one example of the absurdity of the claim. It's also why Crean got the contract he did out of the gate.
Even IF people thought IU might get hit hard (and those thoughts primarily were in the thought IU might still have Sampson as coach), the penalties were known by Nov 2008. By that time Crean had already put together the Hulls / Watford / Elston class. Guess those "hovering sanction threats" hurt that class a bunch, huh?

What's the excuse on Kyrie? Can't wait to hear the spin on this one . . .

No, this is about one poster's very specific claims. I do note, however, that you attributed to me an insinuation of "insider's knowledge" "for years" which I find unusual since I've only been a member here for just over a year and you just over two. Yours is a suspicious accusation, since neither of those periods constitute "years" by any reasonable definition. Your insinuation is obvious, even though it's inaccurate. It does strongly suggest that it is you, however, with the extended past under multiple names. That's the irony.

Your attempt to spin and deflect rates 0.0. An attorney, you're most assuredly not.

Reactions: becauseIknow
Your attempt to spin and deflect rates 0.0. An attorney, you're most assuredly not.
Not spinning anything but only pointing out you're logical shortcoming. This is my only ID, but you're a reincarnation. Funny that you weren't smart enough to realize your hypocrisy. One would think Naval backers would be more intelligent.

Neither Knight nor Pearl were athletic administrators, they were coaches. Your attempt to label them as something they were not as a means of making your point only demonstrates that you weren't what you claimed to be. Plenty of coaches have turned in other coaches, but no one would group them in with rank and file administrators. It's another tip that you aren't whom you claim to be, Jim. Kind of like your banner faux pas. So, where are the names, pictures and other references? Proof in support of your past should be easy to provide. You offered this recently via the IM function here which, conveniently, failed to provide access to you. Are you now rescinding that offer?

Those are just a few examples. You are out of your element here, completely. When the Big 12 had their exodus a few years ago, there was plenty of disparaging going on by Athletic Directors toward other schools. Are you going to sit and tell me those AD's weren't really athletic administrators? The same is true with the Big East, CUSA and other schools. Try again, but you couldn't be more off base.

We (athletic administrators) often were very cordial with other athletic departments as a matter of courtesy and professionalism. However, there were times that things happened in scheduling, recruiting, or you name it where beefs would come into play. You try to work it out between parties, then you get the conference involved. I'm retired, I can openly state my convictions about some departments vs others. For you to suggest for a minute that current or former athletic department administrators think everything is rainbows and sunshine kisses between other schools is wrong on every level. Human beings are involved, and not all of them are ethical. Attend a conference meeting sometime, which I know you never have, and you will see some of it. Again, usually things are professional, but not always. I call O$U because they have earned it over the years. That doesn't change my career, my roles or anything of the kind. There were ADs that despised other ADs, we had one at IU by the way, that wasn't very well liked by most of the conference.

If you think for a second I'm going to help you with anything with your obsessive behavior, you have another thing coming.

Even IF people thought IU might get hit hard (and those thoughts primarily were in the thought IU might still have Sampson as coach), the penalties were known by Nov 2008. By that time Crean had already put together the Hulls / Watford / Elston class. Guess those "hovering sanction threats" hurt that class a bunch, huh?

What's the excuse on Kyrie? Can't wait to hear the spin on this one . . .

Elston said even before Sampson was pushed out that he was likely going to go to IU anyway. Hulls, was coming to Indiana regardless. His grandfather was Knight's shooting coach at Army and at IU. You are really reaching. They were coming sanctions or not. Watford, that's a different story. Read the article.

The penalties are known when they are released to the public, at least officially. You can tell a recruit all day long the NCAA won't do anything with us, but until the recruits hear it from the NCAA it means nothing.

What are you talking about with Kyrie? He didn't come to IU. He was interested for some time, and then decided not to take his visit. I wasn't living in the States at the time, so there is no spin from me. I'm sure you have plenty. Please, feel free to share it. No doubt it will be laced with some great stuff, I'm sure.

Those are just a few examples. You are out of your element here, completely. When the Big 12 had their exodus a few years ago, there was plenty of disparaging going on by Athletic Directors toward other schools. Are you going to sit and tell me those AD's weren't really athletic administrators? The same is true with the Big East, CUSA and other schools. Try again, but you couldn't be more off base.

We (athletic administrators) often were very cordial with other athletic departments as a matter of courtesy and professionalism. However, there were times that things happened in scheduling, recruiting, or you name it where beefs would come into play. You try to work it out between parties, then you get the conference involved. I'm retired, I can openly state my convictions about some departments vs others. For you to suggest for a minute that current or former athletic department administrators think everything is rainbows and sunshine kisses between other schools is wrong on every level. Human beings are involved, and not all of them are ethical. Attend a conference meeting sometime, which I know you never have, and you will see some of it. Again, usually things are professional, but not always. I call O$U because they have earned it over the years. That doesn't change my career, my roles or anything of the kind. There were ADs that despised other ADs, we had one at IU by the way, that wasn't very well liked by most of the conference.

If you think for a second I'm going to help you with anything with your obsessive behavior, you have another thing coming.
Please. Though you've obviously greatly mischaracterized what I said in an effort to cover up your fish story, you fail to address one obvious point: None of the instances of disparagement that you describe go on in the public domain (like an Internet message forum, for instance) where identities can be so readily revealed. Professional ethics and discretion keep it from occurring in all but the most unprofessional and ethically challenged.

Keep digging.

These guys aren't really athletic administrators, right TheSpa? They ripped on other schools, conferences, the NCAA.

Cal Athletic Director rips on Arkansas coach. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...letic-director-rips-arkansas-bielema/5719223/

Fred Glass, IU AD, terse letter to Kentucky AD about scheduling. http://www.insidethehall.com/2012/05/30/complete-text-of-glass-letter-to-kentucky-ad-barnhart/

Missouri AD blasts University of Oklahoma http://www.examiner.com/article/missouri-athletic-director-blasts-oklahoma-for-big-12-comments

LSU AD rips NCAA http://bigeasybeliever.com/2015/05/31/lsu-ad-alleva-rips-ncaa-over-postponement/

Northwestern AD rips the NBA. http://defpen.com/northwestern-athletic-director-rips-the-nba-over-the-one-done-system/

Big East commissioner blasts University of Miami and the ACC http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/05/20/spt_wwwsptfoot1a20.html

USC AD rips NCAA http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12/usc-trojans/uscs-haden-rips-ncaa/

Arizona State AD rips Notre Dame http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/asu-ad-rips-notre-dame-over-scheduling-flap-041013

Harvard AD Bill Cleary, rips on college ills upon retirement. He must never have been an athletics administrator. http://www.si.com/vault/2001/06/11/...c-director-he-rips-the-ills-of-college-sports

But hey, none of these men and women are really athletic administrators.

19 F's for a team with 14 players. Two drug suspensions by one player alone, and there were several players involved. It was not good. Probation hanging over their head.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tom-crean-pulled-indiana-unthinkable-234000788--ncaab.html
19 F's.

Just HOW many players had F's? 10 - or 3-4 guys who stopped going to class? And what were the grades of those same players prior to Sampson's dismissal?

One player had 2 failed drug test and Crean couldn't overlook that? But Stanford Robinson got arrested for IC along with using false ID, then failed a drug test the following summer? Which, btw, was released to the public AFTER the Davis/Holt incident. Yet Stan remained on the team. Why?

These guys aren't really athletic administrators, right TheSpa? They ripped on other schools, conferences, the NCAA.

Cal Athletic Director rips on Arkansas coach. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...letic-director-rips-arkansas-bielema/5719223/

Fred Glass, IU AD, terse letter to Kentucky AD about scheduling. http://www.insidethehall.com/2012/05/30/complete-text-of-glass-letter-to-kentucky-ad-barnhart/

Missouri AD blasts University of Oklahoma http://www.examiner.com/article/missouri-athletic-director-blasts-oklahoma-for-big-12-comments

LSU AD rips NCAA http://bigeasybeliever.com/2015/05/31/lsu-ad-alleva-rips-ncaa-over-postponement/

Northwestern AD rips the NBA. http://defpen.com/northwestern-athletic-director-rips-the-nba-over-the-one-done-system/

Big East commissioner blasts University of Miami and the ACC http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/05/20/spt_wwwsptfoot1a20.html

USC AD rips NCAA http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12/usc-trojans/uscs-haden-rips-ncaa/

Arizona State AD rips Notre Dame http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/asu-ad-rips-notre-dame-over-scheduling-flap-041013

Harvard AD Bill Cleary, rips on college ills upon retirement. He must never have been an athletics administrator. http://www.si.com/vault/2001/06/11/...c-director-he-rips-the-ills-of-college-sports

But hey, none of these men and women are really athletic administrators.
It's a little different and you know it. Or you would know it if you were authentic. Those comments were public, with no hiding behind the anonymity of an Internet message board. If you want to rip OSU or any other school, be my guest. But claiming you're a practitioner and then not having the courage to share your name . . . Nice try.

Last edited:
It's a little different and you know it. Or you would know it if you were authentic. Those comments were public, with no hiding behind the anonymity of an Internet message board. If you want to rip OSU or any other school, be my guest. But claiming you're a practitioner and then not having the courage to share your name . . . Nice try.

Keep moving those goalposts.

You stated I couldn't be a former athletic administrator for saying O$U and disparaging or attacking schools. I provided examples of coaches doing just that.

You cried foul, despite the fact every institution I was at coaches were also considered administrators. Fine, different examples provided.

Now you cry foul again, and reverse yourself completely in logic to say hiding behind anonymity of a message board somehow makes it worse when administrators are openly doing it without anonymity. Great logic on your part.

You are either naive or refusing to understand competitive human beings. I can give you one anecdote where we had a nickname for one school most of us didn't care for because of how they went about their business that almost went to print in a media guide. An intern, not knowing the history but hearing how we referred to said school, placed the name in one of the general write-ups as a gag. We all laughed, until it came time to print and someone forgot to take it out of the content provided to the printer. At press check it was caught, randomly by someone at the printer. That would have been a painful lesson, but in fact administrators do have biases just like anyone else. Those biases are often earned by other schools actions. For the record, I thought Purdue was very professional over the years. I've shown my distaste for Ohio State, but maybe that was unfair, but earned based on the trouble they have been in with the NCAA. None of it compares to my disdain over Minnesota, the academic cheating, the blatant lying.

You stated I couldn't be a former athletic administrator for saying O$U and disparaging or attacking schools. I provided examples of coaches doing just that.

You cried foul, despite the fact every institution I was at coaches were also considered administrators. Fine, different examples provided.

Now you cry foul again, and reverse yourself completely in logic to say hiding behind anonymity of a message board somehow makes it worse when administrators are openly doing it without anonymity. Great logic on your part.

You are either naive or refusing to understand competitive human beings. I can give you one anecdote where we had a nickname for one school most of us didn't care for because of how they went about their business that almost went to print in a media guide. An intern, not knowing the history but hearing how we referred to said school, placed the name in one of the general write-ups as a gag. We all laughed, until it came time to print and someone forgot to take it out of the content provided to the printer. At press check it was caught, randomly by someone at the printer. That would have been a painful lesson, but in fact administrators do have biases just like anyone else. Those biases are often earned by other schools actions. For the record, I thought Purdue was very professional over the years. I've shown my distaste for Ohio State, but maybe that was unfair, but earned based on the trouble they have been in with the NCAA. None of it compares to my disdain over Minnesota, the academic cheating, the blatant lying.
I noticed most of your examples (such as Pearl turning in Illwhini) was people do so to because of trying to get an advantage. Michigan St sent info to the NCAA on Minnesota for having Chris Webber in a suite in the Metrodome during his official visit with the Gophers, a move that ended up costing them of getting Webber.

I've never moved the goal posts on you. This latest series of posts only demonstrates your lack of professionalism, but it's far from the only evidence that you aren't (and weren't) who you claimed to be. Your oft-promised but never delivered evidence (names, yearbooks, etc.) to support your position continues to draw laughs in certain quarters. And be sure to let us all know when you get that banner situation sorted out. Snicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirtsandskins
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT