ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens/Future with Celtics

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Does it all come down to who the Celtics pick in the upcoming Draft?

The 7 point first quarter set a record for worst in NBA Playoff history. The Little Engine that Could story works out a lot better in college than it does in the NBA.

The 7 point first quarter set a record for worst in NBA Playoff history. The Little Engine that Could story works out a lot better in college than it does in the NBA.
Still living in your fantasy land about Stevens leaving Boston to come to IU I see. Boston fans and organization loves Stevens and he won't be going anywhere soon and if you look at this roster he did a great job just to get to the playoffs.

Let me put it this way, IF the Celtics fire Stevens, there will be another NBA team at his door within seconds.

Reactions: OpieJuan Cannoli
Let me put it this way, IF the Celtics fire Stevens, there will be another NBA team at his door within seconds.

Who said anything about the Celtics firing Stevens? If they can't get a superstar in the upcoming draft or elsewhere, why would Stevens want to continue getting pummeled in the East Playoffs?

Reactions: mazz
Who said anything about the Celtics firing Stevens? If they can't get a superstar in the upcoming draft or elsewhere, why would Stevens want to continue getting pummeled in the East Playoffs?
Oh my Lord he is not coming here. He's not going to quit...he is a coach. He is competitive. He's already taken them to a 5 seed in his second year. The front office likes him. The fans like him. He's not coming back to college anytime soon.

Well let me try to answer:

Answer #1: He wants a challenge, he is in it for the long haul, and he likes the team, management and the fans.
Answer #2: He likes the future in Boston with its 4 draft picks in the first round including the #3 pick.
Answer #3: He likes the $$$$$$.
Answer #4: He likes not having to recruit year round.
Answer #5: He likes the long NBA off-season.
Answer #6: The restaurants are better in Boston than in Bloomington.

Still living in your fantasy land about Stevens leaving Boston to come to IU I see. Boston fans and organization loves Stevens and he won't be going anywhere soon and if you look at this roster he did a great job just to get to the playoffs.
Creans not going anywhere! Love it, live it, and embrace it!!!!!

This off season is huge for Boston.

They could easily acquire the talent needed to get to the top of the east. With the draft picks and cap space, they could give out 2 max deals and have a top 5 pick starting next year....thats the good news.

The bad news is if they can't get a couple max free agents, have to settle, and the lottery pick is a bust. That will start the rebuild all over again. They will lose Sully, Zeller, and probably KO...

The reason Stevens is coming back to Indiana is to go to his lake house on Wawasee lake.

Reactions: ufo33

I can't tell you how many announcers I have heard say how great a coach Stevens is. The Celtics would be crazy to let him go. I bet they would throw more money at him if he was getting frustrated enough to quit.

Calm down buddy- his "rationalized BS guesses" were pretty logical. It's not like ORG was making some crazy points as to why Brad would want to stay in Boston. With crimson glasses you may not see that, but with my rational eyes I see that he has the job he wants and is happy in Boston. You saying "you have no clue what he wants" is a pretty juvenile response to ORGs points. It comes off as you believing Brad is unhappy and open to coming to IU. No, you didn't directly state that, but you implied it. I guess we're the stupid ones though.

Calm down buddy- his "rationalized BS guesses" were pretty logical. It's not like ORG was making some crazy points as to why Brad would want to stay in Boston. With crimson glasses you may not see that, but with my rational eyes I see that he has the job he wants and is happy in Boston. You saying "you have no clue what he wants" is a pretty juvenile response to ORGs points. It comes off as you believing Brad is unhappy and open to coming to IU. No, you didn't directly state that, but you implied it. I guess we're the stupid ones though.

"Logical" you mean you agree and that's exactly what you want Brad Stevens to say? Right? That's not the definition of logic. And, then you add a very poor assumption as an excuse for your purposeful misinterpretation. LOL ... and fwiw I never implied anything, you instead inferred and incorrectly.

So, I guess the answer is yes.

Last edited:

How many years can you say that? The guy has been a failure in Boston.sorry, I know he is royalty here, but the results in Boston have been terrible. Yet, people here say he issuing a great job. Just don't get it.

I can see why you'd want to recapture the glory years but I don't think BS is coming. Yeah, he'd make IU a monster but Crean is your man.

Stevens is a good and potentially great coach. When Boston gets a complete roster we'll find out. Determining a NBA coach/pedigree based on record only is tough though. A coach can still have superstars and lose/get fired (See Thibs).

I'll say this though. At some point Stevens will become IU's coach. Maybe 10 years from now?? Stevens isn't even 40 yet.

Stevens will likely be in the top 3-4 in the voting for coach of the year, and you think his future is murky because of 1 bad quarter?

You are clueless because he has not been a failure in Boston by any means. With this roster there is no way this team should have made the playoffs last year or get a 5 seed this year.

Even Boston radio that like him say he has to win the first round and go deep into 2ND for seasonal be a success. Wall Street Journal wrote an article that they are perplexed that he is loved with a losing record. I will paraphrase the article, this isn't happy land at some point he has to win. Sorry,I am not the only one that us wondering why he is considered solid with lackluster results.

Even Boston radio that like him say he has to win the first round and go deep into 2ND for seasonal be a success. Wall Street Journal wrote an article that they are perplexed that he is loved with a losing record. I will paraphrase the article, this isn't happy land at some point he has to win. Sorry,I am not the only one that us wondering why he is considered solid with lackluster results.
He did not have a losing record this year because they were 48-34 and 5th in the East. With the roster he has it was a great season this year even if they lose in the first round.

The mindset that you are responding to is that of a Cubs' fan, IU's new mindset. It doesn't matter if you are a storied program and actually win this year, but rather what may happen next year. A 5 seed in the East is a big deal, kind of like a Sweet 16.

30 year title drought, and many fans have absolutely no sense of urgency. Wait until next year, even if you have already waited 30. Maybe it is just battered fan syndrome, who knows.

The mindset that you are responding to is that of a Cubs' fan, IU's new mindset. It doesn't matter if you are a storied program and actually win this year, but rather what may happen next year. A 5 seed in the East is a big deal, kind of like a Sweet 16.

30 year title drought, and many fans have absolutely no sense of urgency. Wait until next year, even if you have already waited 30. Maybe it is just battered fan syndrome, who knows.
It is call a steady improvement and real sports fans can see that but the impatient ones can't see it. By the way I hate the Cubs so I don't have their mentality. Go ahead and go back to your fantasy land you are living in.

He did not have a losing record this year because they were 48-34 and 5th in the East. With the roster he has it was a great season this year even if they lose in the first round.

A great season? Take a look at the Celtics arena rafters: those are great seasons.

You are just projecting IU's mediocrity on the Celtics. Since when did expecting greatness from storied programs become fantasy?

A great season? Take a look at the Celtics arena rafters: those are great seasons.

You are just projecting IU's mediocrity on the Celtics.
I did not say it is the best season but with the roster he has it was a great coaching job. Not saying if he does not get better the next few years he will keep his job but to think he would be gone after this season is non sense.

Reactions: HoosJer
I did not say it is the best season but with the roster he has it was a great coaching job. Not saying if he does not get better the next few years he will keep his job but to think he would be gone after this season is non sense.

Once again, who said anything about Steven being fired? The little engine that could story doesn't play out well in the playoffs, and it has to get old after awhile. If Boston can't get superstars, then all Brad has to look forward to is a ceiling of first round playoff beatdowns. Brad can do much, much better as a coach than this.

Once again, who said anything about Steven being fired? The little engine that could story doesn't play out well in the playoffs, and it has to get old after awhile. If Boston can't get superstars, then all Brad has to look forward to is a ceiling of first round playoff beatdowns. Brad can do much, much better as a coach than this.
From what I have heard people who has talked to Brad and his wife they like the life style of the NBA better than coaching in college. They like the fact when he is at home it is about the family where coaching college he is getting calls all hours of the day. They like that in the NBA during the off season they can spend a lot of time as a family and in college he is out recruiting all summer.

Also have you ever paid attention to the NBA playoffs most of the time teams don't go from lottery teams and winning championships in a couple of years. It too Detroit a few years of getting beat by Boston for them to get to the finals. It took Jordan a few years of getting beat by Detroit to break through. You see this all time in the NBA so Boston will be patient with him and Brad will be patient as well.

From what I have heard people who has talked to Brad and his wife they like the life style of the NBA better than coaching in college. They like the fact when he is at home it is about the family where coaching college he is getting calls all hours of the day. They like that in the NBA during the off season they can spend a lot of time as a family and in college he is out recruiting all summer.

Also have you ever paid attention to the NBA playoffs most of the time teams don't go from lottery teams and winning championships in a couple of years. It too Detroit a few years of getting beat by Boston for them to get to the finals. It took Jordan a few years of getting beat by Detroit to break through. You see this all time in the NBA so Boston will be patient with him and Brad will be patient as well.

Neat hearsay.

Once again, superstars: who on the Celtics is the equivalent of Jordan or Isiah? Without superstars, the Celtics are the little engine that could that gets beat down in the first round.

Once more, we are back to the Cubs' mindset: it all is going to happen next year.

well.
No one you know has talked to Brad Strevens or his wife, so please just stop. Thanks

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Neat hearsay.

Once again, superstars: who on the Celtics is the equivalent of Jordan or Isiah? Without superstars, the Celtics are the little engine that could that gets beat down in the first round.

Once more, we are back to the Cubs' mindset: it all is going to happen next year.
I heard it from the mouth of the person who talked to the Steven's directly on a radio show and if you did the research you probably could here the interview as well. With the many 1st round draft picks and money under the cap they will be able to offer some free agents big money. They did it once by getting KG and Allan so it has been done before in Boston.

No one you know has talked to Brad Strevens or his wife, so please just stop. Thanks
Never said I knew anyone who talked to him. I heard an interview with Chris Denari who was on a trip to Africa with the Steven's. he talked with them about the difference in coaching in the NBA compared to the college game and this is what they told him.

ADVERTISEMENT