ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl predictions for IU?

There was a story in the Indy Star earlier this week reporting that Music City Bowl reps will attend the game this weekend, including the Pres/CEO of the event. I thought the MCB wasn't a possibility since the B10 has sent three teams there in six years as the contract supposedly requires. The CEO said there's 'flexibility' and they're more interested in getting the right team in the right year.

I was pretty confident we'd see IU in the Bay Area for the Redbox Bowl until I read that. Now I think Nashville is a strong possibility.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and 76-1
There was a story in the Indy Star earlier this week reporting that Music City Bowl reps will attend the game this weekend, including the Pres/CEO of the event. I thought the MCB wasn't a possibility since the B10 has sent three teams there in six years as the contract supposedly requires. The CEO said there's 'flexibility' and they're more interested in getting the right team in the right year.

I was pretty confident we'd see IU in the Bay Area for the Redbox Bowl until I read that. Now I think Nashville is a strong possibility.

A matchup with KY in Nashville would make for an entertaining game... Problem there is that supposedly one of the reasons they expect to have some flexibility is that there won't be enough SEC teams for them to get one... (?):confused:

Reactions: Rakkasan29
A matchup with KY in Nashville would make for an entertaining game... Problem there is that supposedly one of the reasons they expect to have some flexibility is that there won't be enough SEC teams for them to get one... (?):confused:

SEC should get to 10 bowl-eligible teams. MSU has the toughest road, needing to beat an FCS team and Ole Miss at home to get to six. Otherwise UT should finish the season with a win over Vandy for their 6th, UK will get their 6th vs an FBS team this weekend, and Mizzou should beat Arkansas at the end of the year for their 6th.

I'm guessing SEC gets three NY6 bids (two in CFP plus Sugar Bowl). They have to send a team to the Citrus Bowl. Then they have their "Pool of Six" that includes the Music City Bowl. There should be enough to get teams in those bowls.

My guess is IU vs UT in Nashville.

Reactions: CC Mac and 76-1
:D
SEC should get to 10 bowl-eligible teams. MSU has the toughest road, needing to beat an FCS team and Ole Miss at home to get to six. Otherwise UT should finish the season with a win over Vandy for their 6th, UK will get their 6th vs an FBS team this weekend, and Mizzou should beat Arkansas at the end of the year for their 6th.

I'm guessing SEC gets three NY6 bids (two in CFP plus Sugar Bowl). They have to send a team to the Citrus Bowl. Then they have their "Pool of Six" that includes the Music City Bowl. There should be enough to get teams in those bowls.

My guess is IU vs UT in Nashville.

Sounds plausible to me...

I don't know how the columnists I've read were reaching their conclusions but I know I've read that (there won't enough SEC teams to go around) about 3 times...

Maybe one guy just threw it out there early in the season and the other two plagiarized him...:confused::oops::rolleyes:

I like your version of the future better! ;):)

Here's hoping it's KY in Nashville, TN...;):)

I would love watching us beat Michigan, p u, and KY in the same season...! :D:):D

Last edited:
Reactions: td75 and ESalum86
Nashville would be great but if we somehow finish 9-3 with a win over Michigan I would think the Citrus or Gator would be a possibility.
Although farther away I think we would travel very well to either with a 9-3 record.

Reactions: td75 and ESalum86
Nashville would be great but if we somehow finish 9-3 with a win over Michigan I would think the Citrus or Gator would be a possibility.
Although farther away I think we would travel very well to either with a 9-3 record.

This is what I've been saying all along. If we get to 9 wins then I see us in FL for the bowl game. Either Citrus or Gator. If we get to 8 wins then I think Music City is in play, but the Gator would be as well. If we stay on 7 wins then it gets interesting in all the wrong ways. I could see the Red Box in CA or the one in Dallas happening. Hopefully we beat UM manana and have a shot at the FL bowls,

Reactions: CC Mac

Citrus isn't a B10 lock. I think they take the team from ACC (incl Notre Dame) or B10 based on who's ranked highest in the CFP rankings after the NY6 games get their picks. There may be some limitation based on teams that have appeared there in the past five bowls, possibly ruling out PSU. I think ND will wind up getting the ACC's Orange Bowl slot. I don't see IU being ranked above Wisconsin or Iowa in the final CFP poll if both are 9-3, but you never know.

A B10 team will go to either Gator or Music City, but not both. I thought the Music City wasn't even a possibility until the Star story this week. It certainly seems like if IU is available at that slot the MCB is going to try to bend the agreement to get IU to Nashville. Again, you never know.

I also think a 9-win IU team could be in line for the Holiday Bowl. Given my druthers, I'd choose a cold weather, cheap trip to Nashville over a pricey trip to San Diego.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT