ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game Defense

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
As I watched the OSU defense get torched last night by the 'Bama offense, I was reminded of our bowl game defense and I was left with a thought/question.

I absolutely hate it when a defensive game plan consists of "keeping things in front of you" and giving up yardage until the other team is in the red zone. OSU tried it last night. IU tried it against Ole Miss. It just doesn't seem to work. And the same goes for only rushing three and dropping eight into coverage...it happens all the time but it never seems to work.

In CTA's presser after the bowl game, he mentioned that Ole Miss' pace kept us from being able to get into our blitz packages, and that makes sense. That said, isn't there something a defense can do that's somewhere between blitzing all the time and basically playing a prevent defense for the first 60 yards of a drive? It just seems weird to take defensive players who, I think, are aggressive by nature and ask them to sit back and let the other team waltz down the field.

Last edited:
I don’t know. I suppose it depends on how good you think the other team is at burning you over the top. At least if you make them work for it they may make a mistake. It is also easier to stop that kind of team when you get down to the red zone and do not have to defend deep. I think IU was pretty good at that this year.

Reactions: red hornet
As I watched the OSU defense get torched last night by the 'Bama offense, I was reminded of our bowl game defense and I was left with a thought/question.

I absolutely hate it when a defensive game plan consists of "keeping things in front of you" and giving up yardage until the other team is in the red zone. OSU tried it last night. IU tried it against Ole Miss. It just doesn't seem to work. And the same goes for only rushing three and dropping eight into coverage...it happens all the time but it never seems to work.

In CTA's presser after the bowl game, he mentioned that Ole Miss' pace kept us from being able to get into our blitz packages, and that makes sense. That said, isn't there something a defense can do that's somewhere between blitzing all the time and basically playing a prevent defense for the first 60 yards of a drive? It just seems weird to take defensive players who, I think, are aggressive by nature and ask them to sit back and let the other team waltz down the field.
Alabama’s OLine is so good I don’t think you can make a good choice. The right side of their line Brown/leatherwood are phenomenal. Keep it in front / Blitz / Play press coverage Go ahead. They will beat you. Jones was so shocked he got sacked in the first half he fumbled. Kiffin plays that offense with lesser personnel.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT