ADVERTISEMENT

Bought some wingettes to smoke on the BGE. Any recipes or tips?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
What’s your favorite wood to smoke with? I have pecan and apple for poultry.

Thoughts on ideal temp and time to smoke these little guys?

Last edited:

I Traeger for my smoker, so don't have any tips around the BGE, however I have a nice dry rub I like to use. I smoke until almost to temp and then when near time to serve I flash fry for a couple minutes to crisp them.

Dry rub: I vary my measurements, but in order from most to least
Salt
Black Pepper
Paprika-hungarian
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cumin
White pepper
Cayenne
And a dash of poultry seasoning (marjoram, sage, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg)

Coat and let sit a couple hours in the fridge or overnight.

I usually do a custom blend of pecan, apple, and cherry. Right about 300. Then a few hours until they hit 165.

Thoughts on ideal temp and time to smoke these little guys?
I like pecan or apple wood for chicken, and have used hickory, cherry and even mesquite. Just depends on how civilized I want to be . . . .

Here's an alternative to hot wings:

https://kamadojim.com/jamaican-jerk-chicken-wings-recipe/

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings Recipe
Enjoy the bold, fresh flavors of the islands in this delicious and easy to make Jamaican jerk chicken wing recipe, enhanced by the subtle smoke from your Kamado.

Prep Time 30 min
Cook Time 1 hr 30 min
Total Time 2 hr

Ingredients
  1. 6 scallions, greens part only
  2. 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
  3. 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  4. 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
  5. 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  6. 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
  7. 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
  8. 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
  9. 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Instructions
  1. Puree all ingredients above in a blender until smooth
  2. Set aside a small amount of marinade for basting and place the chicken wings in the remainder
  3. Marinate chicken wings overnight
  4. Set the Kamado [BGE for you] up for indirect cooking and bring your temperature to 350°F
  5. Use just a few chunks of your favorite smoke wood - I tend to use hickory
  6. Cook for about an hour and then baste with the leftover marinade
  7. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or so, until internal temperature reads 160°F. Always use a Thermapen to ensure grilled food is safe to eat before serving.
By Kamado Jim

Let us know how they turn out, guinea pig!

Jamaican Jerk, with no hot peppers in it? Sounds like Martinsville Jerk Chicken.

needs both a touch of mango and a touch of habenero.

Last edited:
I’ve found a brine of left over pickle juice goes well with wings. You can even through in some peppers and cayenne sauce to lunch it up.

Here's a GREAT Jamaican Jerk product from the Boston region of Jamaica! It's a pasty marinade so a little goes a long way. Great jerk flavor and plenty of heat but not "burn yourself a new asshole" hot!
Amazon product ASIN B000ITPG02
Don't buy it from Amazon though. I buy it by the case from the Kingston-Miami Trading Company. I bought it last in March of 2016 at $72.55 for a case of 24 bottles. Shipping was $25.48 for a net price of $4.085/bottle. 305-324-9497 or sales@kingstonmiami.com

The Pickapeppa Mango habenero sauce is widely available and is pretty tasty. It is on my grocery shelf and isn't even pricey.

1433SM__15761.1561104164.jpg

Holy shit, I just made the best wings I’ve ever had. Dry rub first with:

1/4 cup Paprika
1/8 cup fresh ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup brown sugar

They def have a little heat.

I would be happy eating them the way they are but I’m a sucker for sauces so I split the batch into two. I decided not to make my own sauce as there’s plenty of good ones out there.

I tossed one half in Blues Hog original for a sweeter bbq flavor and the other half im Anchor Bar mild Wing sauce.

after tossing them I threw them back on the grill for another 2-3 minutes to get some additional carmelizing.

these were amazing...I’ll try different sauces next time.

On the Big green Egg I cooked them for 1.5 hours up to 325 degrees. I find it takes me awhile to get up to temp once I put the plate in for indirect heat.

I used a mix of pecan and applewood.

If I had one critique I Might cut back on the wood as sometimes I get more smoke than necessary.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT