ADVERTISEMENT

Both And...

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
The first thing I want to do is say congratulations to Indiana Football for one heck of a season. They took a big step forward from last year, checked off a lot of boxes and got a ton of well-deserved recognition nationally.

Indiana is 14-7 in the last two seasons, including 11-5 in the Big Ten
The Hoosiers have made 2 straight bowls appearances, two straight January bowl appearances, and 4 bowl appearances in 6 years

In 2020 IUFB fielded 3 All-Americans
16 All-Conference Selections
Tom Allen Big Ten Coach of the Year
Kane Wommack Broyles Award Finalist

One of the Best Defenses in School History
Entering the Outback Bowl the Hoosiers lead the Nation in Interceptions per game, Pass Breakups per game and Red Zone Scoring Percentage Defense
They were also 3rd in the Nation in Takeaways per game
5th in 4th Down Conversion Percentage Defense
8th in Sacks per game
11th in Red Zone Touchdown Percentage Defense
19th in Points Allowed per game

Indiana was ranked in the AP Top 25 9 weeks in a row and ranked in AP Top 10 6 of the last 7 weeks. They also entered the College Football Playoff Rankings for the first time in school history.

The Hoosiers Beat Penn St, Michigan and won @Michigan State and @Wisconsin. They beat 3 teams that were ranked at the time the game was played. Indiana won the Old Brass Spittoon and finished 2nd in the Big Ten East, one of the best divisions in College Football.

This was certainly a tough loss to swallow today but I think in a few days we will regain some perspective on what an amazing season we just witnessed. I understand those who are fighting tooth and nail to defend what was accomplished. Today's loss doesn't erase all these positives.

At the same time I think it is fair to say that the loss today is a blemish that cannot simply be ignored and swept under the rug. Two straight years Indiana let two winnable January Bowl games get away from them. I realize CTA appears to be building the program the right way and a huge step back in a short amount of time doesn't seem that likely but you cannot take opportunities like this for granted - you have to take advantage of these opportunities when they present themselves. Now the program and Hoosier Nation have to go another year with 1991 (our last Bowl Win) hanging over our heads. So the people who are expressing frustration and anger are also right to do so (as long as it is constructive). In competitive athletics you can't just put your little trophies on the shelf and have a pollyanna attitude anytime things go wrong. If a door is open you have to crash through it. If you hem-and-haw around somebody else is going to go through the door and you'll be left standing on the outside looking in. (Sorry for the abstractions.)

I honestly think a lot of fans think IU is a littler farther along in terms of their progress than they might actually be. If they don't continue to improve and address some performance issues in the offseason they are going to have a hard time beating some of the teams they beat this year again next year.

I have taken a wait and see attitude on the offense almost all year. Nick Sheridan is going to have to take a step forward next year in terms of commanding the offense and getting more consistent production.

The offensive line needs to improve. Better run blocking. Better pass pro. Better continuity. Be more physical.

On defense we are going to need to generate a pass rush without having to bring the house and the kitchen sink.

I don't know where we are going to be at WR in terms of personnel. I also think some of our route concepts need to be more dynamic and focused on attention to detail. Way too many dropped balls this year.

So bottom line, heck of a year. Plenty to be excited about. But also a lot of work to do and plenty of constructive criticism that is perfectly valid.

Last edited:
The first thing I want to do is say congratulations to Indiana Football for one heck of a season. They took a big step forward from last year, checked off a lot of boxes and got a ton of well-deserved recognition nationally.

Indiana is 14-7 in the last two seasons, including 11-5 in the Big Ten
The Hoosiers have made 2 straight bowls appearances, two straight January bowl appearances, and 4 bowl appearances in 6 years

In 2020 IUFB fielded 3 All-Americans
16 All-Conference Selections
Tom Allen Big Ten Coach of the Year
Kane Wommack Broyles Award Finalist

One of the Best Defenses in School History
Entering the Outback Bowl the Hoosiers lead the Nation in Interceptions per game, Pass Breakups per game and Red Zone Scoring Percentage Defense
They were also 3rd in the Nation in Takeaways per game
5th in 4th Down Conversion Percentage Defense
8th in Sacks per game
11th in Red Zone Touchdown Percentage Defense
19th in Points Allowed per game

Indiana was ranked in the AP Top 25 9 weeks in a row and ranked in AP Top 10 6 of the last 7 weeks. They also entered the College Football Playoff Rankings for the first time in school history.

The Hoosiers Beat Penn St, Michigan and won @Michigan State and @Wisconsin. They beat 3 teams that were ranked at the time the game was played. Indiana won the Old Brass Spittoon and finished 2nd in the Big Ten East, one of the best divisions in College Football.

This was certainly a tough loss to swallow today but I think in a few days we will regain some perspective on what an amazing season we just witnessed. I understand those who are fighting tooth and nail to defend what was accomplished. Today's loss doesn't erase all these positives.

At the same time I think it is fair to say that the loss today is a blemish that cannot simply be ignored and swept under the rug. Two straight years Indiana let two winnable January Bowl games get away from them. I realize CTA appears to be building the program the right way and a huge step back in a short amount of time doesn't seem that likely but you cannot take opportunities like this for granted - you have to take advantage of these opportunities when they present themselves. Now the program and Hoosier Nation have to go another year with 1991 (our last Bowl Win) hanging over our heads. So the people who are expressing frustration and anger are also right to do so (as long as it is constructive). In competitive athletics you can't just put your little trophies on the shelf and have a pollyanna attitude anytime things go wrong. If a door is open you have to crash through it. If you hem-and-haw around somebody else is going to go through the door and you'll be left standing on the outside looking in. (Sorry for the abstractions.)

I honestly think a lot of fans think IU is a littler farther along in terms of their progress than they might actually be. If they don't continue to improve and address some performance issues in the offseason they are going to have a hard time beating some of the teams they beat this year again next year.

I have taken a wait and see attitude on the offense almost all year. Nick Sheridan is going to have to take a step forward next year in terms of commanding the offense and getting more consistent production.

The offensive line needs to improve. Better run blocking. Better pass pro. Better continuity. Be more physical.

On defense we are going to need to generate a pass rush without having to bring the house and the kitchen sink.

I don't know where we are going to be at WR in terms of personnel. I also think some of our route concepts need to be more dynamic and focused on attention to detail. Way too many dropped balls this year.

So bottom line, heck of a year. Plenty to be excited about. But also a lot of work to do and plenty of constructive criticism that is perfectly valid.
Outstanding post and you hit the points I have about the upcoming season. Coach Sheridan needs to show he is up to the job as IU's offense didn't rank very high this year in the NCAA standings #94 in total offense and #52 in scoring.

Our offense took a step backwards. I am sure this is where most of our off-season improvement will be made.

If Sheridan is “under review” then so better Hiller be too! Without boss hogs up front, QBs get injured, running game stalls and things get ugly. I like to think Sheridan can have the same jump Womack had in his year #2 this season. (But I think he was tad more focused on his new gig than 100% this bowl game.)

There is a lot to build upon, and think better to be measured than panicked now, but disappointed in a bad loss? Yes that too.

ADVERTISEMENT