ADVERTISEMENT

Book Review: The Power by Naomi Alderman

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Now this is a fascinating novel. It imagines a world in which a sudden evolutionary shift suddenly makes women the dominant gender in the world, and how all of society adjusts to this new reality. In the process, it touches indirectly on issues of race and sexuality - it's not merely about men v. women - and it's also a rip-roaring tale. Very well-written. And it's wrapped up right at the end with a killer, devastating final line.

The political overtones are hard to ignore, but if you can withstand them, as a work of art, I highly recommend this novel.

Now this is a fascinating novel. It imagines a world in which a sudden evolutionary shift suddenly makes women the dominant gender in the world, and how all of society adjusts to this new reality. In the process, it touches indirectly on issues of race and sexuality - it's not merely about men v. women - and it's also a rip-roaring tale. Very well-written. And it's wrapped up right at the end with a killer, devastating final line.

The political overtones are hard to ignore, but if you can withstand them, as a work of art, I highly recommend this novel.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will put it on hold at the elibrary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT