ADVERTISEMENT

Bonhomme Richard

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Looks a single sailor set the fire that totally destroyed this ship. Indications are that this was a deliberate and malicious act. Other than that, the Defense Department has hidden the details of this arson from the public. There might be legitimate reasons for the secrecy. But I’m suspicious. Just a few months ago, the Defense Department made a very big and public deal out of rooting out extremists from the military. This went so far as publicly announcing a stand down for extremist training.

Now it looks like an extremist might have destroyed a ship and we get crickets. As with many government secrets, maybe CYA is at work here. I’d like to know more. And I’d like to know what preventative measures are in place.

Reactions: DANC
Ships are supposed to be built with containment systems in place to prevent sinking or burning. To hear about how this fire got out of control in the first place. Every sailor on board is trained in fire fighting. Drills are conducted at least monthly. Ventilation systems can be shut down easily. There are fire hoses everywhere for a boundary cooling. Not to mention that these ships are built with non-combustible materials.

Ships are supposed to be built with containment systems in place to prevent sinking or burning. To hear about how this fire got out of control in the first place. Every sailor on board is trained in fire fighting. Drills are conducted at least monthly. Ventilation systems can be shut down easily. There are fire hoses everywhere for a boundary cooling. Not to mention that these ships are built with non-combustible materials.

I'm interested to hear what @Aloha Hoosier can add.

I'm interested to hear what @Aloha Hoosier can add.
I missed this somehow. This happened on a Sunday and the ship would only have a duty section onboard. Probably an 8th of the crew or so. It was also a maintenance period, so there would be hoses, vent ducting, etc. strung through the passageways and the watertight doors, hatches and scuttles. This compromises the capability of containment. There would be more flammable material in various spaces while maintenance work is going on. The duty section would be lighter than normal due to Sailors and officers taking leave during the maintenance period.

These can be dangerous times for a ship. Roving watches and others on board need to be vigilant. It’s the worst time to have a fire - except if loaded with ammo too. That’s why we usually offload ammo before these periods. Whether it was arson or the fire started some other way it was a vulnerable time.

I haven’t been privy to any reports, so I don’t know what the investigation has found in any detail to date.

Looks a single sailor set the fire that totally destroyed this ship. Indications are that this was a deliberate and malicious act. Other than that, the Defense Department has hidden the details of this arson from the public. There might be legitimate reasons for the secrecy. But I’m suspicious. Just a few months ago, the Defense Department made a very big and public deal out of rooting out extremists from the military. This went so far as publicly announcing a stand down for extremist training.

Now it looks like an extremist might have destroyed a ship and we get crickets. As with many government secrets, maybe CYA is at work here. I’d like to know more. And I’d like to know what preventative measures are in place.

seems like 4 billion, or even 1/100th or 1/1000th of that, would cover a lot of repairs.

wonder who the guy was who declared this thing "totaled".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT