ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past...

I have to admit I loved the Cam Cameron era IU logo/uniform look at the time (I was like 15). I thought it looked so cool at the time. Definitely were ahead of the curve on what I call the "Oregon-ing" of college football unis.

In the proceeding years I've come to appreciate simplicity and generally dislike the gimmick uniforms (except for the one with the IN state seal on it, love that one).

I have to admit I loved the Cam Cameron era IU logo/uniform look at the time (I was like 15). I thought it looked so cool at the time. Definitely were ahead of the curve on what I call the "Oregon-ing" of college football unis.

In the proceeding years I've come to appreciate simplicity and generally dislike the gimmick uniforms (except for the one with the IN state seal on it, love that one).

Ugh... 😖😖😖😣

Cams 49'ers logo and uni were 2nd (on the Fugly Scale) only to Sam Wyche's abomination combination (in my opinion)... 🙄

Cam was a bizarre aberration in his own right... The guy literally had a doctorate level education in Leadership (having played for Bob Knight..., along with having coached for Bo Schembechler); yet couldn't lead someone out of a narrow, shallow mud hole if his very livelihood depended on it...

Last edited:
Ugh... 😖😖😖😣

Cams 49'ers logo and uni were 2nd only to San Wyche's abomination combination (in my opinion)... 🙄

Cam was a bizarre aberration in his own right... The guy literally had a doctorate level education in Leadership (playing for Bob Knight along with having coached for Bo Schembechler); yet couldn't lead someone out of a narrow, shallow mud hole if his very livelihood depended on it...
Oh for sure, my older self is embarrassed by how ugly the Cameron Era unis were and that I once thought they were cool.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Ugh... 😖😖😖😣

Cams 49'ers logo and uni were 2nd only to San Wyche's abomination combination (in my opinion)... 🙄

Cam was a bizarre aberration in his own right... The guy literally had a doctorate level education in Leadership (having played for Bob Knight..., along with having coached for Bo Schembechler); yet couldn't lead someone out of a narrow, shallow mud hole if his very livelihood depended on it...
Always a mystery to me, too. He was probably the least charismatic coach I've seen since Archie.

Think how bad he would have been without ARE, who was actually a Mallory recruit.

Not really. He did it after the first game of the season if I remember correctly.
Correct, it only lasted through the opener at NC State. Which wasn't nearly as close a game as the prior year, with IU not getting on the board until late in the 4th while down 35-0. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/212490152

It still stuns me that two full years with ARE, Williams, & Jeremi Johnson in the backfield in addition to Jerry Dorsey & Versie Gaddis out wide in 2000 that they couldn't pull out more wins.

Correct, it only lasted through the opener at NC State. Which wasn't nearly as close a game as the prior year, with IU not getting on the board until late in the 4th while down 35-0. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/212490152

It still stuns me that two full years with ARE, Williams, & Jeremi Johnson in the backfield in addition to Jerry Dorsey & Versie Gaddis out wide in 2000 that they couldn't pull out more wins.
Well, the Defense had to take the field at some point.

Defense was an afterthought to Cam and Wilson.

Well, the Defense had to take the field at some point.

Defense was an afterthought to Cam and Wilson.
Imagine if football was played like the playground basketball rules that you keep the ball if you scored! Cam might still be here. It was just that damn defense that confounded him. :)

Imagine if football was played like the playground basketball rules that you keep the ball if you scored! Cam might still be here. It was just that damn defense that confounded him. :)
Which is also frustrating considering the defense wasn't full of scrubs. Over his years he had Rasmussen, Ogunleye, & Justin Smith, with some overlap between them.

His problem wasn’t the offense.
Cam had no defense.

Until about midway through the 2001 campaign did the defense even appear serviceable.

I’ll always appreciate Cam and his time here - very classy comments about IU when he was let go - don’t forget how hard it was to recruit quality players to IU at that time - no tradition, horrible facilities etc - boy, even a below average defense would have made a huge difference - excited about we we are now....

Not really. He did it after the first game of the season if I remember correctly.
That may be true, but by that time everything was out of synch not correctable and the team had lost confidence. It wasn't as easy as moving ARE back to QB and having everything work. If I were a team member, I would have been stunned to watch a Coach move the most exciting player in College Football from a position where He had the ball in his hands 60 times p;er game to a position where He might see it 5 times a game. From the outside it looked like Cameron thought it was more important to audition ARE for the NFL and improve his draft position than it was to win football games for his Employer.

From the outside it looked like Cameron thought it was more important to audition ARE for the NFL and improve his draft position than it was to win football games for his Employer.
That was exactly what is was. That's when Cameron lost my support.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’m certainly not defending Cameron as a coach, but just think we should keep things accurate. I think everyone can agree that the program truly reached its’ nadir under Dinardo.
In Cameron's last year of 2001 we were excellent the last half of that season. We won five of the last six, but had to win them all to qualify for a bowl. The only loss was at Penn State, where we were tied in the fourth quarter. I was traveling west and listening to the broadcast and scrambling to get to a hotel in Dayton so I could watch the second half.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ARE was leaving unless Cam played him at WR. He had shown all he could at QB and wanted the NFL to see his other skills. So Cam played him at WR and started Ohio All-Star QB Tommy Jones in the first game at NC State. Jones went 18-31 163 yards and 1 TD. ARE caught 4 passes for 30 yards. (Kris Dielman caught 3 for 32!)

Philip Rivers torched us for 22/33 245 yards and 3 TDS.

ARE started the next game back at QB. Utah beat us at home.

ARE was leaving unless Cam played him at WR. He had shown all he could at QB and wanted the NFL to see his other skills. So Cam played him at WR and started Ohio All-Star QB Tommy Jones in the first game at NC State. Jones went 18-31 163 yards and 1 TD. ARE caught 4 passes for 30 yards. (Kris Dielman caught 3 for 32!)

Philip Rivers torched us for 22/33 245 yards and 3 TDS.

ARE started the next game back at QB. Utah beat us at home.
The biggest problem for that team was our inability to make extra points. I would estimate that we missed more PAT's that season than we have in the 20 years since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT