ADVERTISEMENT

Blast From The Past. Where is Mark Patrick?

Mark Patrick was a professional sports reporter with a keen sense of humor. He's still missed in Indiana.

Mark was fortunate to be able to travel and follow Drew as he downshifted his work schedule. Intense, wicked wit and sharp tounge but a good man.
One of the best quips Patrick ever put out on the airwaves was when he referred to JMV (John Michael Vincent) as "Jan Michael Vincent's love child" when John was his producer for MPOS. Really helped the visibility of JMV and helped him develop into what he is today.

I always thought that guy was an amazing talent...never understood why he didn't matriculate to a larger market...I guess he was happy in Indy...cause he had the chops.

I always thought that guy was an amazing talent...never understood why he didn't matriculate to a larger market...I guess he was happy in Indy...cause he had the chops.
For those who may not know . . . Mark Patrick's full name is Mark Patrick Storen (hence, Drew Storen's dad).

His uncle was the original Vice President and General Manager of the ABA Indiana Pacers, Mike Storen. Mike's daughter is Hannah Storm, the sports broadcaster/journalist who has worked for CNN, NBC, CBS, ESPN and ABC, among others.

Mike Storen was very respected in the sporting world, and from what I've been told both Mark and Hannah avoided using the Storen name so they'd be recognized for their talent as opposed to who they were related to.

For those who may not know . . . Mark Patrick's full name is Mark Patrick Storen (hence, Drew Storen's dad).

His uncle was the original Vice President and General Manager of the ABA Indiana Pacers, Mike Storen. Mike's daughter is Hannah Storm, the sports broadcaster/journalist who has worked for CNN, NBC, CBS, ESPN and ABC, among others.

Mike Storen was very respected in the sporting world, and from what I've been told both Mark and Hannah avoided using the Storen name so they'd be recognized for their talent as opposed to who they were related to.

When I first moved to Indy decades ago, the first time I tuned in to the B&T show, Patrick was doing a bunch of voices (I think it was on an all day Carb Day show, or something). I forgot who he was imitating, but I remember thinking, "Wow, they have a lot of celebrities on this show!" Someone clued me in later that day.

Interesting anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

"My Town...(sound of bowling ball rolling down the alley)...Brownsburg."

TC doing the weather.."it's smoove"

MP did so many characters on Bob and Tom-very talented radio personality.

Thanks for that...I never knew...

One of the best quips Patrick ever put out on the airwaves was when he referred to JMV (John Michael Vincent) as "Jan Michael Vincent's love child" when John was his producer for MPOS. Really helped the visibility of JMV and helped him develop into what he is today.
Mark was fortunate to be able to travel and follow Drew as he downshifted his work schedule. Intense, wicked wit and sharp tounge but a good man.
When I was a student at Moody in Chicago, we lived in Stickney one of the southwest suburbs. We were able to get an Indiana tv station and on Saturdays used to watch Hoosier Millionaire. This was our first time living outside of Indiana so it was good to stay connected to Indiana. Mark's quick whit was evident on that show. Afterwards we watched Cops, America's Most Wanted, and America's Dumbest Criminals.

I was told that He actually burned his bridges in this market and no-one would hire him towards the end of his career.

First hand I was sitting at dinner with a guy who owned a few media outlets including a TV station and MP was calling him like every 5 minutes. He showed me who it was and would not even answer his phone. Said he was not hirable and had burned his bridges with arrogance and demands beyond his pay grade.

That being said I liked his sports show and his impersonations and characters on B&T. I was pretty surprised but this guy didn't have nice things to say and I had heard that before, but coming from a guy who would know...well,

i

Mark Patrick was a professional sports reporter with a keen sense of humor. He's still missed in Indiana.
His race day contributions to B&T were priceless. We would start trying to pick up the signal as soon as we could and listened as we were sitting in traffic. It made the traffic less of a pain.

A few years back my wife and I ran into and struck up a conversation with Mark and Pat Carlini downtown one afternoon, I believe it was 500 week. Mark Patrick was hilarious

an impressionist has left his mark when people do impressions of the impression, as was the case with MP's Cosell.

seems like he did the first sports talk radio i can think of in Indy.

seems i remember hearing he had the basement of his home dug extra deep, to accommodate a basketball goal.

Being there at the edge of Chicago, you probably achieved that just looking out the front window . . . o_O
A week after we got there a man killed his ex wife about a block away from us. The locals acted like this wasn't a big deal. Since we are from Washington Indiana we grew up where if a murder happened it would be talked about for months. It would be shocking.

I was told that He actually burned his bridges in this market and no-one would hire him towards the end of his career.

First hand I was sitting at dinner with a guy who owned a few media outlets including a TV station and MP was calling him like every 5 minutes. He showed me who it was and would not even answer his phone. Said he was not hirable and had burned his bridges with arrogance and demands beyond his pay grade.

That being said I liked his sports show and his impersonations and characters on B&T. I was pretty surprised but this guy didn't have nice things to say and I had heard that before, but coming from a guy who would know...well,

i
Gosh, this is getting pretty good. “Bridges Burnt- The Rise and Fall of a Talking Head”. That would make a movie, not a good movie, but a movie.

i
He seemed to "jump ship" alot towards the end of his career from local to national radio shows and back, which made me wonder what the issue was. I think he even had a national baseball focused show. One of his more famous radio shows was the one where he simply listened as Jay Mohr and Bill Polian went at it for 17 minutes in a bizarre exchange on WNDE. Classic.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...ted-Exchange-Over-Comments-About-Star-RB.aspx

He seemed to "jump ship" alot towards the end of his career from local to national radio shows and back, which made me wonder what the issue was. I think he even had a national baseball focused show. One of his more famous radio shows was the one where he simply listened as Jay Mohr and Bill Polian went at it for 17 minutes in a bizarre exchange on WNDE. Classic.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...ted-Exchange-Over-Comments-About-Star-RB.aspx

Let's just say Mark had the ability to rub some the wrong way.

"My Town...(sound of bowling ball rolling down the alley)...Brownsburg."

TC doing the weather.."it's smoove"

MP did so many characters on Bob and Tom-very talented radio personality.
I always liked him and ED SORENSON ...wonder whatever became of him too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT