ADVERTISEMENT

Bird In The Hand

I still believe strongly that superior talent definitely masks some coaching flaws. Not saying Orgeron is a bad coach at all but he certainly struggled mightily at Ole Miss as they were trying to build up. That program also fired David Cutcliffe, I believe.

This is why I sometimes take issue with guys being declared “great coaches” when some of these schools just continue to pool 5-star talent.

Is the coach that great?
How about the guy who gets more out of less?

I still believe strongly that superior talent definitely masks some coaching flaws. Not saying Orgeron is a bad coach at all but he certainly struggled mightily at Ole Miss as they were trying to build up. That program also fired David Cutcliffe, I believe.

This is why I sometimes take issue with guys being declared “great coaches” when some of these schools just continue to pool 5-star talent.

Is the coach that great?

I agree.

So if I had to choose between a current staff guy who I know can recruit, and an unknown, I'm sticking with my guy.

Some coaches are just made for certain jobs. For Ed O that’s LSU. It’s like he was born for it.

I don’t think you can infer that he would have the same level of success at another program...USC in particular. He might have been worse than Helton. It’s apples and oranges though.

Some coaches are just made for certain jobs. For Ed O that’s LSU. It’s like he was born for it.

I don’t think you can infer that he would have the same level of success at another program...USC in particular. He might have been worse than Helton. It’s apples and oranges though.
I noticed the LSU receivers were doing the same thing
that USC receivers were doing when Ed O was there. USC
receivers are still doing it, that little stutter step after the catch
to avoid the defender to get yards after the catch, has
to be coaching. A little thing with big results.

Is the coach that great?

I don't disagree that high end talent may mask a coach who is less good with the Xs and Os.

But I think the counterpoint is that at the FBS level, high level recruiting is just as big a part of being a great coach as it is being an Xs & Os genius. At the college level, it has to be a total package to really be at the top.

I think they were ready to run him out of town during his second year there. They lost a home game to Troy and Matt Canada May have been the OC at that point.

I noticed the LSU receivers were doing the same thing
that USC receivers were doing when Ed O was there. USC
receivers are still doing it, that little stutter step after the catch
to avoid the defender to get yards after the catch, has
to be coaching. A little thing with big results.
I’ve noticed it too. I’m sure other coaches are catching on as well. It’s very effective.

ADVERTISEMENT