ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Mallory has proven to be the best coach, and man, of all Big Ten fball coaches in the conference history. nt

He was a very good man but so is coach Allen. Coach Mallory success against OSU and UM came in the years they were down while coach Allen has to play OSU when they are at their best. I would put coach Allen right up there with coach Mallory as the best men in the B1G.

Just listen to the players and you see how good a coach and man coach Allen is. I worked with Coach Mallory in his football camp and really think highly of him but coach Allen is up there and moving up in the B1G.

Last edited:
He was a very good man but so is coach Allen. Coach Mallory success against OSU and UM came in the years they were down while coach Allen has to play OSU when they are at their best. I would put coach Allen right up there with coach Mallory as the best men in the B1G.

Just listen to the players and you see how good a coach and man coach Allen is. I worked with Coach Mallory in his football camp and really think highly of him but coach Allen is up there and moving up in the B1G.

I've learned not to put anyone up on a pedestal that I haven't actually lived with...

I can tell you that Bill Mallorys integrity most likely cost him at least one and maybe even two shots at a Big Ten Championship by cutting loose rule breaking starters that very few coaches around the country would have let go of... (and he did so to help them learn important lessons over the long haul). Even more impressive was that he went out of his way to speak well of them to NFL scouts in spite of how they had both ultimately let him down... Can't recall the names, one ended up playing DT for the Raiders and the other CB for the Colts...

Interviewed Bill Mallory once over the phone after the loss to Notre Dame and couldn't get him to say a bad word about his friend Lou Holtz having run it up in the 4th on him... His loyalty was a constant...

I hope Allen proves to be half the man that Bill Mallory was... Seems like he's on the right path...

So far...,so good...(with Coach Allen)... When it comes to people these days I always hope for the best and try not to be surprised and disappointed when they don't measure up to their public persona... Sounds like Coach Allen comes from a solid family though so I have higher hopes for him than most...

Good post.

Tough to say who's the better man, and I'm not sure it matters. Their characters, at least publicly, reflect/reflected honor, integrity and professionalism, and they are/were exemplary representatives of the university. And you're right, it's ultimately the players who have the best insight, and both men are/were respected by their teams.

Finally, while Corso is not in the same league from a coaching standpoint, he's always struck me as a very decent guy, and always was - - and continues to be - - absolutely loved by the guys who played for him. (And he did get us that first-ever bowl win, against an 11-0 BYU team!)

Confident the DT mentioned was Nolan Harrison. Up and down career at IU. A great Athlete. Had a very good and long NFL Career. These days is a big time IU football supporter on Twitter. And NFLPA rep.

The DB, maybe Damon Watts?

Last edited:
Who was the guy who beat up an ATM machine? I think it was early 80s? Might have played for Corso.

I think he died from a police shooting.

Denver Smith? Denver something.....

Who was the guy who beat up an ATM machine? I think it was early 80s? Might have played for Corso.

Denver Smith? Denver something.....
Believe it was Nolan Harrison. Very good football player and holds an MBA. He is still alive and was not happy when they took the names off the unis.

Reactions: DANC

Denver Smith? Denver something.....red
Denver Smith played for Corso.

Nolan Harrison would have been an All Big Ten DT if he hadn't assaulted the ATM... He played for the Raiders... Damon Watts ended up playing for the Colts

Reactions: DANC and 4IUSox2
Nolan was a good dude. Met him a few times at our apartment complex playing volleyball. Lived in a different Bldg in our complex. Always pleasant. That run in with the ATM eating his card that was caught on camera cost him the 1990 season, I believe. Don’t think he ever played for IU again.

Was good to see him bounce back from that and make it big with the Raiders. Has done well post-NFL Too. Also, there’s no bigger IU football supporter on Twitter than Nolan.

Nolan was a good dude. Met him a few times at our apartment complex playing volleyball. Lived in a different Bldg in our complex. Always pleasant. That run in with the ATM eating his card that was caught on camera cost him the 1990 season, I believe. Don’t think he ever played for IU again.

Was good to see him bounce back from that and make it big with the Raiders. Has done well post-NFL Too. Also, there’s no bigger IU football supporter on Twitter than Nolan.
I actually have a healthy amount of respect for Nolan Harrison.

What human being can say that they have never become upset with a vending machine? Weather it is dispensing drinks, snacks or money, sometimes these mechanical monsters just need to be slapped, punched, kicked or shook to keep in line.

An ATM that eats up your main source for fun?

He had every right to rip that metal beast from its throne and teach it a lesson!

On the flip side Mallory had to deal with lack of television coverage and terrible facilities and support of the administration.

He got suspended for an entire season for attacking an atm machine? Seems excessive. I would have thought an anger management class and some community service would fit better. Maybe a game or 2 and back on the field

He got suspended for an entire season for attacking an atm machine? Seems excessive. I would have thought an anger management class and some community service would fit better. Maybe a game or 2 and back on the field
Well sure - you'd never prosecute any of the mostly peaceful rioters from last summer, either.

Reactions: Champs1976 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT