ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Gates interview: U.S. testing is terrible, fed response is insane.

P

You’re a pretty full of yourself! Universal testing is a waste of time? The need to flatten the curve is past? New cases and number of deaths are no longer useful? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air? Each of us must employ our own personal precautions as we deem appropriate?

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
COH is an expert on experts.

If trying to play point-counterpoint, you’ve failed. Talking stupid trash seems to be your highest and best purpose here. Buh bye.

Being an intellectual or expert does not provide immunity to confirmation or other bias. In my view, being a recognized expert increases ego size which strengthens confirmation bias.

This pandemic is a perfect example. In those places where we have done full resting (e.g. ships at sea, Santa Clara county) and assuming the testing is mostly accurate, we now know that the majority, and in some cases, the vast majority, of positives have no symptoms or only mild symptoms. We also know that the virus is much more wide spread than we ever knew. The virus is not more prevalent in nursing homes, it’s just more visible there. The universal testing advocates suggest that testing will give us a better picture of the extent of the virus spread. If so what are we to do with that information? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air. Contact tracing works for STD’s, for airborne pathogens not so much. Since we now should know that the virus is everywhere, universal testing is a waste of resources.

Our first response was lockdown to “flatten the curve”. Well, we now know that we over estimated COVID’s impact o our system. The need to flatten the curve is past. The numbers of new cases and increasing number of deaths are no longer useful statistics because most infections have little or no symptoms.

The way forward should be in recognition of what we are learning. We know who the vulnerable populations are, so test those who interact with them. Viral load seems to be an indicator of how sick one becomes, so test those who are at risk to being exposed to higher loads. The public is now well aware of the precautions each of us must take to increase our chances of staying well. The lockdown has served its purpose concerning the curve. The lockdown does not seem to “contain the spread”.

Maybe now is the time to return to normalcy as much as possible while each one of us employs our personal precautions as we deem appropriate and as await the vaccine.
A lot here to correct but I only have time for two. You say contact tracing doesn't work because it's in the air. If that were true the lockdown would be ineffective. It is spread through contacts with actively infected people. Testing sick people and tracing their contacts for further testing is public health 101. Universal testing isn't needed, but testing those who have been in contact with sick individuals is critical.

The projected death toll fell when the lockdown were in place. That ended with the LIBERATE tweets. They've been revised upward last week and will soon be adjusted upward again. Probably closer to 100k.

We're not stopping the spread, so testing and contact tracing won't be possible. Welcome to herd immunity. God bless us everyone.

A lot here to correct but I only have time for two. You say contact tracing doesn't work because it's in the air. If that were true the lockdown would be ineffective. It is spread through contacts with actively infected people. Testing sick people and tracing their contacts for further testing is public health 101. Universal testing isn't needed, but testing those who have been in contact with sick individuals is critical.

The projected death toll fell when the lockdown were in place. That ended with the LIBERATE tweets. They've been revised upward last week and will soon be adjusted upward again. Probably closer to 100k.

We're not stopping the spread, so testing and contact tracing won't be possible. Welcome to herd immunity. God bless us everyone.
If trying to play point-counterpoint, you’ve failed. Talking stupid trash seems to be your highest and best purpose here. Buh bye.

CO, who are you talking to? You made a number of unsubstantiated statements that you have held out as facts. This isn’t the football forum. This is not a question of should the Hoosiers play a hurry up offense. These are real life and death issues. Your comments are reckless and irresponsible. And they are unsubstantiated. And you potentially put people’s lives at risk.

You’ve held yourself out as having some sophisticated level of knowledge but the reality is you’re clueless. I gave you enough rope to hang yourself and you did. You offer no defense for any of the statements that you made. If I’m wrong and you have arguments to support the statements that you made do it.

CO, who are you talking to? You made a number of unsubstantiated statements that you have held out as facts. This isn’t the football forum. This is not a question of should the Hoosiers play a hurry up offense. These are real life and death issues. Your comments are reckless and irresponsible. And they are unsubstantiated. And you potentially put people’s lives at risk.

You’ve held yourself out as having some sophisticated level of knowledge but the reality is you’re clueless. I gave you enough rope to hang yourself and you did. You offer no defense for any of the statements that you made. If I’m wrong and you have arguments to support the statements that you made do it.
Hi, 82. I'm not sure you and I have ever talked, but you seem like a smart person, and if anything I say offends you I apologize in advance.

But I don't understand why you're taking COH seriously. IMO, the only way to address him is by pointing and laughing, as I've learned over the course of many years. He is all bullshit all the time.

So for example he says this:

Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air.
As I'm confident you recognize, this is astoundingly stupid. The entire point of contact tracing is to identify people infected with the virus, so they can be quarantined against emitting the virus into the air the rest of us breathe. The fact that it's an airborne pagthogen is precisely the point of contact tracing.

When someone who presents himself as intelligent gets this sort of stupid-level stuff wrong, you must wonder: Is he dense or is he dishonest? My answer is yes, but whatever the source of his baseless bad faith bullshit, that's what he posts.

Don't feed the troll.

A highly successful capitalist who wants to give back to society (by giving up 80-90% of his wealth), and in turn, is doing some good by saving lives; you have a problem with him.

A conman but who was actually very poor at business -- who has lied, conned for decades and yet you defend him?

What's up with that?

Very interesting! Actually what was interesting is that you linked two articles that I pretty sure you did not read. And then the sentence that you wrote on your own makes absolutely no sense. Neither of the articles were negative about Bill Gates. First article said that the author thought he was spending more time on diseases associated with more developed countries and that there a Third World countries in more need. The second article just says that because it’s a private organization they don’t have to issue the same detail of reports that the world health organization has to. Well I guess you don’t have to read them now. Your sentence of original thought was a non-sequitor.

Hi, 82. I'm not sure you and I have ever talked, but you seem like a smart person, and if anything I say offends you I apologize in advance.

But I don't understand why you're taking COH seriously. IMO, the only way to address him is by pointing and laughing, as I've learned over the course of many years. He is all bullshit all the time.

So for example he says this:

Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air.
As I'm confident you recognize, this is astoundingly stupid. The entire point of contact tracing is to identify people infected with the virus, so they can be quarantined against emitting the virus into the air the rest of us breathe. The fact that it's an airborne pagthogen is precisely the point of contact tracing.

When someone who presents himself as intelligent gets this sort of stupid-level stuff wrong, you must wonder: Is he dense or is he dishonest? My answer is yes, but whatever the source of his baseless bad faith bullshit, that's what he posts.

Don't feed the troll.

Contact tracing means there must be a contact capable of being traced. We don’t do large group gatherings because contact tracing is impossible in those circumstances. NYC got so bad partly because of mass transit. Do you really think contact tracing is the best way to identify those who must be quarantined? No it’s targeted testing and assumptions flowing from locations.

There obviously will be very limited contacts capable of being traced, (such as families) but you can’t seriously believe contact tracing is an overall useful way to contain the spread of airborne pathogens. That’s bullshit. Contract tracing is best for STD’s and other other diseases spread through readily identifiable contacts. That leaves out airborne transmission among unknown individuals in public places.

Last edited:
Contact tracing means there must be a contact capable of being traced. We don’t do large group gatherings because contact tracing is impossible in those circumstances. NYC got so bad partly because of mass transit. Do you really think contact tracing is the best way to identify those who must be quarantined? No it’s targeted testing and assumptions flowing from locations.

There obviously will be very limited contacts capable of being traced, (such as families) but you can’t seriously believe contact tracing is an overall useful way to contain the spread of airborne pathogens. That’s bullshit. Contract tracing is best for STD’s and other other diseases spread through readily identifiable contacts. That leaves out airborne transmission among unknown individuals in public places.
You've made a series of assumptions in your post that you haven't supported, CO, including that targeted testing and assumptions flowing from locations is more effective than contact tracing in containing the coronavirus outbreak. The CDC disagrees with you: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/principles-contact-tracing.html, largely because the CDC doesn't assume, as you apparently have, that contact tracing is the only methodology to be used in helping stem the coronavirus outbreak.

You also have assumed that airborne transmission is likely. The CDC has considered that, but considers airborne transmission over long distances unlikely:

The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely.

The CDC considers close contact with an infected person as the most common method of transmission of the coronavirus:

Current data suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person speaks, coughs, or sneezes.

The CDC considers contact tracing to be a significant element of the CDC's multi-pronged approach to containing the COVID-19 outbreak.

The only bullshit here is yours, CO . . . more bad faith bullshit posting from you, which is why your credibility is in tatters . . . still.

Reactions: Circlejoe
It is nice that zero hedge got a shout out in this thread. We have not had that in years. When you want Russian propaganda but Russia Today isn't enough of a Russian mouthpiece, Zero Hedge is available.

as you apparently have, that contact tracing is the only methodology to be used in helping stem the coronavirus outbreak.

Huh? Where have I said or implied that?

You also have assumed that airborne transmission is likely.

Of course I have. That is why masks and social distancing are the lynchpins of slowing the spread. Do you deny this?

The CDC has considered that, but considers airborne transmission over long distances unlikely:

Nice try, Sope. I never said airborne transmission over "long distances" is likely.

The CDC considers close contact with an infected person as the most common method of transmission of the coronavirus:

You do know the meaning of "contact" for this virus don't you?

The CDC considers contact tracing to be a significant element of the CDC's multi-pronged approach to containing the COVID-19 outbreak.

Just in Colorado, we have 300-500 new cases per day now. Over a few days, that means well over a thousand. The resources don't exist to do contact tracing for each infected person. This is exactly why slowing the spread means washing hands, social distancing, wearing masks, and essential human interactions only.

You obviously don't understand the difference between containment and mitigation in dealing with the pandemic. Containment works when it is practically feasible. Contract tracing is useful there--I never denied that. But we have by in large been in mitigation mode for many weeks.

The only bullshit here is yours, CO . . . more bad faith bullshit posting from you, which is why your credibility is in tatters . . . still.

You are soooooo predictable. It's impossible for you to have any discussion without your obligatory ad homiem. Does that give you more confidence in you often weak arguments?

Contact tracing leads to the identification of more infected people, which MAKES THE NUMBERS GO UP. You can isolate them, start the cycle again with more contact tracing, and make the epidemic wane, ala South Korea. Yes, that is why you do it.

But, again....committing to contact tracing MAKES THE NUMBERS GO UP. which looks BAD.

Trump has a very simple mind (as do most of his followers) and he has always been focused on trying to make himself look good, even when he is doing nonsensical things. This is Exhbit A.

Reactions: sglowrider
Contact tracing works better when large percentages of society are tuned into technology and when they are also not paranoid of a Big Brother state. In Seoul, a majority of the population wears Samsung smart watches, which log by GPS all of your movements (phones do too), and the watch even monitors your body temperature. The citizens of Seoul decided that it was important, for curbing the epidemic, to let Samsung share all of that data with contact tracers to identify secondary exposures.

Good luck having people in the USA so eager to go along with something like that. But it does allow contact tracing even in very difficult situations, such as sharing an intercity subway system. Samsung sends you a text that "Last Tuesday you shared a subway car with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19. Please shelter in place, and medical personnel will test you at your residence at (such-and-such a time)."

It requires TESTS, lots of them, it requires WILL, it requires LOGICAL THINKING and an understanding of science & technology, and it requires capable and intelligent LEADERSHIP. In the USA we lack those things.

Last edited:
Contact tracing works better when large percentages of society are tuned into technology and when they are also not paranoid of a Big Brother state. In Seoul, a majority of the population wears Samsung smart watches, which log by GPS all of your movements (phones do too), and the watch even monitors your body temperature. The citizens of Seoul decided that it was important, for curbing the epidemic, to let Samsung share all of that data with contact tracers to identify secondary exposures.

Good luck having people in the USA so eager to go along with something like that. But it does allow contact tracing even in very difficult situations, such as sharing an intercity subway system. Samsung sends you a text that "Last Tuesday you shared a subway car with a person who has tested positive fro COVID-19. Please shelter in place, and medical personnel will test you at your residence at (such-and-such a time)."

It requires TESTS, lots of them, it requires WILL, it requires LOGICAL THINKING and an understanding of science & technology, and it requires capable and intelligent LEADERSHIP. In the USA we lack those things.

The experts I hear suggest that we need enough tests to get down to 10%, or less, positives. We aren't close. I don't know why we seem determined not to do that.

Here is one article that suggests the 10% rate, there are many more for those that want to Google. https://www.npr.org/sections/health...covid-19-as-debate-rages-on-heres-how-to-know

Trump discussing science with Angela Merkel, who has a degree in theoretical chemistry:

g20-angela-merkel-993391.jpg

Reactions: sglowrider
You've made a series of assumptions in your post that you haven't supported, CO, including that targeted testing and assumptions flowing from locations is more effective than contact tracing in containing the coronavirus outbreak. The CDC disagrees with you: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/principles-contact-tracing.html, largely because the CDC doesn't assume, as you apparently have, that contact tracing is the only methodology to be used in helping stem the coronavirus outbreak.

You also have assumed that airborne transmission is likely. The CDC has considered that, but considers airborne transmission over long distances unlikely:

The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely.

Current data suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person speaks, coughs, or sneezes.

Bless your heart. You keep referring to Obama's CDC. That's so cute.

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT