ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Gates interview: U.S. testing is terrible, fed response is insane.

Gates: "Of all the things I'm most surprised about by the federal governments response, the unwillingness to get involved in test prioritization is the most amazing." (12:20 of the clip)

More quotes;
For other countries, this was their Day One thing.

The US is the worst at test prioritization. And if we're not careful, it will get even worse.

It's kind of insane that we're not prioritizing the testing capacity, even as it grows, to go to the right populations.

He should use some of his cash to upgrade the Microsoft app store. What is his medical expertise?

Reactions: herrli
He's only been running a giant global foundation for 20 years, who's largest focus is infectious disease.

He hasn't worked @ Microsoft for 20 years either.

Do you live in a cave?
I realize he donates money to those causes. Does that qualify as expertise?

You know very little of Bill Gate's work.
That's why I ask. Some give his opinions an awful lot of weight. He is a good business man, sure and has paid for a lot of research. What success does he have to show in the medical or epidemiology field?

That's why I ask. Some give his opinions an awful lot of weight. He is a good business man, sure and has paid for a lot of research. What success does he have to show in the medical or epidemiology field?
Don't be COH on this, Hillz. You've got this one wrong. This is not the hill to die on.

Since leaving MSFT, he and Melinda have dedicated their lives and fortune to public health initiatives worldwide. He know his stuff. In particular, he knows how to get things done without having a political agenda intrude.
I can appreciate the philanthropic initiatives which are geared to improving public health. I also wouldn't underestimate globalist politics he espouses.

So is that it now? The globalist boogeyman? Can Soros be far behind?
Just don't tell me his work free of political motives. He's in the same boat with Zuckerberg and Musk and Soros and Trump and Biden and Bezos as people I don't take medical advice from.

I get mine from the Water Cooler.

Reactions: herrli and glmiu11
Just don't tell me his work free of political motives. He's in the same boat with Zuckerberg and Musk and Soros and Trump and Biden and Bezos as people I don't take medical advice from.

You're just the jaded type, and I'm totally with you. That said, it's misplaced with Gates. I've followed/read about his work for some time and the guy is totally engaged/vested in this stuff purely for altruistic reasons. He's not a shill etc.

He’s a man with a huge capacity for intellectual curiosity. He’s not just a guy who writes checks and takes the credit. He’s someone who wants to gain a real understanding of the science his efforts are directed towards. He’s a man who has a plan for his huge riches by creating the Giving Pledge. He’s a great businessman for sure, but he’s also an intellectual. I know this is hard for someone with your beliefs to comprehend, so I’m not surprised by your simplified perception of him.

You could do worse.

I like how you conveniently lump those guys in with Trump, as if to excuse his incompetence. Nice try.

Reactions: UncleMark
Gates: "Of all the things I'm most surprised about by the federal governments response, the unwillingness to get involved in test prioritization is the most amazing." (12:20 of the clip)

More quotes;
For other countries, this was their Day One thing.

The US is the worst at test prioritization. And if we're not careful, it will get even worse.

It's kind of insane that we're not prioritizing the testing capacity, even as it grows, to go to the right populations.

You test, map, track and isolate. And since viruses don't respect state lines so there was only one entity that could have managed this -- and you cant use the federated system as an excuse. Many other federated systems like Germany, UAE, Switzerland, have all done well.

Its an issue of leadership and political will or the lack of in this case.

Doing all this hyper-testing now is basically trying to catch all the millions of horses, long after they have been out of the barns. It's way way too late now. Besides, whats testing other than like a weighing machine to tell you that you are ver-weight.

The critical steps are what you do after the tests. Track, map and manage the primary and secondary contacts. That's the key. But with the numbers that are out there now, it's an almost impossible job to do that now -- even with the enormous resources at hand. The key was to keep the numbers small enough to keep it manageable. But now, I doubt even with all the resources at hand, the largest in the world, its even possible to execute such a strategy.

Its just done the wrong way around. Containment is always cheaper than mitigation.

Last edited:
He’s a man with a huge capacity for intellectual curiosity. He’s not just a guy who writes checks and takes the credit. He’s someone who wants to gain a real understanding of the science his efforts are directed towards. He’s a man who has a plan for his huge riches by creating the Giving Pledge. He’s a great businessman for sure, but he’s also an intellectual. I know this is hard for someone with your beliefs to comprehend, so I’m not surprised by your simplified perception of him.
Sorry, Mrs. Gates. No offense to Mr. Gates intended. Tell me, what beliefs are you talking about?

I like how you conveniently lump those guys in with Trump, as if to excuse his incompetence. Nice try.
Don't forget Biden. To be clear, I'm wary of all rich guys' and politicians' health advice unless they are "medical doctors".

Bill Gates, seriously??

You not aware of his global footprint? He must have given away like $30-40billion.

The Gates Foundation provides the funding and tools needed to extend and improve the lives of some of the poorest people around the globe. One way it achieves its goals is by investing in the development and delivery of vaccines to prevent illnesses like diarrhea and pneumonia. While routine and easily treatable in the developed world, these diseases kill an estimated 1.5 million children in developing nations each year.

The foundation also provides countries with the tools and innovations they need to eradicate deadly diseases like malaria, AIDS, and polio. Since the early 2000s, malaria cases have dropped by more than 40% and deaths have been reduced by more than 60% worldwide, in part thanks to its investments in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.

How Bill and Melinda Gates helped save 122m lives – and what they want to solve next

5 of Bill Gates' Most Impactful and Life-Changing Philanthropic Projects

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxCoke
Bill Gates, seriously??

All he really does is make targeted investments. But if you do a Google search you'll see the Gates Foundation is doing a lot of really good public health projects around the world, including controlling infectious diseases. He knows what he's talking about.

I am serious. And you are clueless.
He can't believe that anyone could have the mental capacity to have multiple areas of interest or expertise.

'Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

By a show of hands, who believes Gates is using the vaccine to secretly implant microchips into people?

He can't believe that anyone could have the mental capacity to have multiple areas of interest or expertise.

'Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

Being an intellectual or expert does not provide immunity to confirmation or other bias. In my view, being a recognized expert increases ego size which strengthens confirmation bias.

This pandemic is a perfect example. In those places where we have done full resting (e.g. ships at sea, Santa Clara county) and assuming the testing is mostly accurate, we now know that the majority, and in some cases, the vast majority, of positives have no symptoms or only mild symptoms. We also know that the virus is much more wide spread than we ever knew. The virus is not more prevalent in nursing homes, it’s just more visible there. The universal testing advocates suggest that testing will give us a better picture of the extent of the virus spread. If so what are we to do with that information? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air. Contact tracing works for STD’s, for airborne pathogens not so much. Since we now should know that the virus is everywhere, universal testing is a waste of resources.

Our first response was lockdown to “flatten the curve”. Well, we now know that we over estimated COVID’s impact o our system. The need to flatten the curve is past. The numbers of new cases and increasing number of deaths are no longer useful statistics because most infections have little or no symptoms.

The way forward should be in recognition of what we are learning. We know who the vulnerable populations are, so test those who interact with them. Viral load seems to be an indicator of how sick one becomes, so test those who are at risk to being exposed to higher loads. The public is now well aware of the precautions each of us must take to increase our chances of staying well. The lockdown has served its purpose concerning the curve. The lockdown does not seem to “contain the spread”.

Maybe now is the time to return to normalcy as much as possible while each one of us employs our personal precautions as we deem appropriate and as await the vaccine.

Being an intellectual or expert does not provide immunity to confirmation or other bias. In my view, being a recognized expert increases ego size which strengthens confirmation bias.

This pandemic is a perfect example. In those places where we have done full resting (e.g. ships at sea, Santa Clara county) and assuming the testing is mostly accurate, we now know that the majority, and in some cases, the vast majority, of positives have no symptoms or only mild symptoms. We also know that the virus is much more wide spread than we ever knew. The virus is not more prevalent in nursing homes, it’s just more visible there. The universal testing advocates suggest that testing will give us a better picture of the extent of the virus spread. If so what are we to do with that information? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air. Contact tracing works for STD’s, for airborne pathogens not so much. Since we now should know that the virus is everywhere, universal testing is a waste of resources.

Our first response was lockdown to “flatten the curve”. Well, we now know that we over estimated COVID’s impact o our system. The need to flatten the curve is past. The numbers of new cases and increasing number of deaths are no longer useful statistics because most infections have little or no symptoms.

The way forward should be in recognition of what we are learning. We know who the vulnerable populations are, so test those who interact with them. Viral load seems to be an indicator of how sick one becomes, so test those who are at risk to being exposed to higher loads. The public is now well aware of the precautions each of us must take to increase our chances of staying well. The lockdown has served its purpose concerning the curve. The lockdown does not seem to “contain the spread”.

Maybe now is the time to return to normalcy as much as possible while each one of us employs our personal precautions as we deem appropriate and as await the vaccine.

I'm guessing you meant testing, so....tell us all about the "full testing" in Santa Clara county. Is that the one that implies that 95% of the population doesn't have the antibodies yet?

I largely agree with you. I know VERY little about this stuff but there seem to be conflicting reports on re-infection. If we can be reinfected doesn't that eliminate or reduce the notion of herd immunity and leave us in a very precarious spot until a vaccine materializes. I'm also reading conflicting reports in that regard in that we may not "ever" get a vaccine.

P

You’re a pretty full of yourself! Universal testing is a waste of time? The need to flatten the curve is past? New cases and number of deaths are no longer useful? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air? Each of us must employ our own personal precautions as we deem appropriate?

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

P

You’re a pretty full of yourself! Universal testing is a waste of time? The need to flatten the curve is past? New cases and number of deaths are no longer useful? Contact tracing adds nothing because the virus is in the air? Each of us must employ our own personal precautions as we deem appropriate?

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
COH is an expert on experts.

ADVERTISEMENT