ADVERTISEMENT

Bike around the world

No form of exercise looks more miserable to me than grinding it out long distance on a bike. That said, this looks pretty awesome.

Dunno. If you have wonky knees or knee in my case, there are few options in terms of doing endurance level exercises. HIIT exercises are limited due to the knee unless I start doing kickboxing at the gym whenever the stupid lockdown (or circuit breaker euphemistically called here) gets lifted.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
No form of exercise looks more miserable to me than grinding it out long distance on a bike. That said, this looks pretty awesome.

I'm a runner, hobbled by bad wheels, so I've had to incorporate riding more and more. I love that it allows me to get out and enjoy trail riding, but it will never be my preferred workout. I have no interest in road riding, and it's got to be 100X more dangerous with cell phones now. I live near a velodrome and want to give that a shot when they start back up with beginner classes.

I bought a rowing machine and like the results, but man, I'd give about anything to be able to run still. I have dreams about running pretty regularly.

I'm a runner, hobbled by bad wheels, so I've had to incorporate riding more and more. I love that it allows me to get out and enjoy trail riding, but it will never be my preferred workout. I have no interest in road riding, and it's got to be 100X more dangerous with cell phones now. I live near a velodrome and want to give that a shot when they start back up with beginner classes.

I bought a rowing machine and like the results, but man, I'd give about anything to be able to run still. I have dreams about running pretty regularly.

I am a trial/mountain biker but unfortunately, when you get past a certain age, you lose your buddies who apparently were never that into it.
So I road bike exclusively alone, with my own timing and targets.

In fact I just got back a few minutes ago. Start at 7pm now and rode through the dark.

I am a trial/mountain biker but unfortunately, when you get past a certain age, you lose your buddies who apparently were never that into it.
So I road bike exclusively alone, with my own timing and targets.

In fact I just got back a few minutes ago. Start at 7pm now and rode through the dark.

I'd be one of your pussy buddies; in fact I've already done that in my group. I have a beginners mountain bike and we were doing stuff that exceeded my skill and gear and it was only a matter of time before I hurt myself I felt. I recognized I just wanted a decent workout and the experience of trail riding,without all the difficulties, so I dialed it back. I'm fortunate to have some pretty easy but beautiful trails near my house, so that made it easy to do too.

Reactions: sglowrider

Hey kkott, I have decided to get a rowing machines as I don't see myself returning to the gym until there is a vaccine. I have tentatively decided on a Rogue Concept 2 but they are apparently backordered and I'm not sure when they will be in stock.

Which rower did you get and do you like it?

Like others I have a bad knee which now rules out several activities that I used to enjoy. I am hoping the rower will give me some type of cardio workout that I have been missing.

I'd be one of your pussy buddies; in fact I've already done that in my group. I have a beginners mountain bike and we were doing stuff that exceeded my skill and gear and it was only a matter of time before I hurt myself I felt. I recognized I just wanted a decent workout and the experience of trail riding,without all the difficulties, so I dialed it back. I'm fortunate to have some pretty easy but beautiful trails near my house, so that made it easy to do too.

I was watching a video on getting fit through biking by a bunch of ex-pro cyclists. They said that unless you are into racing etc, its best to start off at the level 2 pace -- above-average pace but steady. Not HITT or hill climbs etc to start with. It doesn't help your fitness. They call it a foundational fitness. And for most, its good enough with the HIIT level every other session.

Think this is the same for other exercises.

Exercising by heart rate.

Last edited:
Bicycle seats are pure punishment
Recumbent bikes (or, especially, trikes) are a blast.

No butt soreness, no numbness to the jewels, no back, neck, or wrist soreness, plus easier on the knees once the setup is right for your body (boom length, seat position, use of pedal extenders, etc.).

The only downsides are high initial purchase cost (not many manufacturers) and slower hill climbing speeds due to being unable to stand on the pedals for power.

A more civilised ride would be New Zealand.

Queenstown is dead-drop gorgeous. Its the X Sports capital of the Southern Hemisphere. This is where the first bungee jump was invented. Jetboat upstream u the rivers will be testicularly challenging.

Last stopping point before the Antarctica if you are taking a ship down.

For the past couple of years I've been planning a bike ride in Poland. I'm not an avid cyclist, but there's a yearly ride from the gates of Auschwitz to the Jewish Community Center in Krakow. This is less about riding as it about riding from a death camp to the where the living and breathing future of Judaism is in Poland. I've never wanted to visit the concentration camps, but when I found out about this ride I decided this is how I want to experience it and with my kids. I want to be a part of the future and not just the horrors of the past.

It's a pretty flat 60 mile ride, but it will give me a purpose for training this next year. The ride was cancelled this year and honestly who even knows about next year, but it's something to look forward to as Jews around the world travel to this event in solidarity.

main-qimg-1a6076df35ae3b1d4760e900fdae4f03

1135881_2_o.jpg

Hey kkott, I have decided to get a rowing machines as I don't see myself returning to the gym until there is a vaccine. I have tentatively decided on a Rogue Concept 2 but they are apparently backordered and I'm not sure when they will be in stock.

Which rower did you get and do you like it?

Like others I have a bad knee which now rules out several activities that I used to enjoy. I am hoping the rower will give me some type of cardio workout that I have been missing.

Yes, I settled on the same one think: Concept 2 Model D. I paid $945 off Amazon in October, and it was nice as they delivered in a couple days (Prime) and also allowed me to do 5 monthly payments with no interest. It looks like Amazon has stopped selling the Concept 2 maybe, and is selling other off brands. They are definite knockoffs, but half the price, so worth a look. But, (and it's a big butt!) I've been very happy with the rower and feel it was the right choice for me. Well made and easy to use, and it is very easy to store upright when not in use. If you go to Concept 2's website one of their big marketing pushes is that most of the YMCA's in the country use them and they even will tell you local Ys where you can go try it out if you like (I'd already used them as a former Y member). I have a bad knee and bad ankle. It does a good job of not bothering either too much. Plus, if your knee is hurting, you just shorten your stroke a little. It still will start to hurt my back after about 18 minutes. I believe it's my back muscles however, and not spine stuff. Not sure if it's my form (Lord knows I've had enough stroking practice!), but I've watched videos and think I'm good. Still, it gives me a great workout in 20-22 minutes. I base my workout on distance, so currently I'm doing 5K and wanting to work up to 8-10K. It's not quite the cardio workout for me that a stairclimber or Jacob's Ladder was, but I think is a great total body workout and it's getting my arms and shoulders in shape. I want to go longer to get an even better cardio workout. I'm very happy with it and enjoy the workout. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Speaking of that big butt:

52b76694d9740c31c535dc9324dfceda.gif

Last edited:
For the past couple of years I've been planning a bike ride in Poland. I'm not an avid cyclist, but there's a yearly ride from the gates of Auschwitz to the Jewish Community Center in Krakow. This is less about riding as it about riding from a death camp to the where the living and breathing future of Judaism is in Poland. I've never wanted to visit the concentration camps, but when I found out about this ride I decided this is how I want to experience it and with my kids. I want to be a part of the future and not just the horrors of the past.

It's a pretty flat 60 mile ride, but it will give me a purpose for training this next year. The ride was cancelled this year and honestly who even knows about next year, but it's something to look forward to as Jews around the world travel to this event in solidarity.

main-qimg-1a6076df35ae3b1d4760e900fdae4f03

1135881_2_o.jpg

Not sure I could go there. It would crush my soul. Just thinking about it makes my eyes swell up.

My buddy/roommate from Jackson Heights -- his dad was on the last boat out from Poland into the UK. His brothers and uncles never made it. It would be too much for me to visit there.

amazing scenery

The deserts and the dirt/rock roads would really beat you down though

Some day I will do a Florida to Maine ride (US1 and nearby rail trails is worked out) or Florida to California. Lots of pavement, bike lanes and/or dedicated bike trails for me!

Not sure I could go there. It would crush my soul. Just thinking about it makes my eyes swell up.

My buddy/roommate from Jackson Heights -- his dad was on the last boat out from Poland into the UK. His brothers and uncles never made it. It would be too much for me to visit there.
None of my family perished during the Holocaust. Everyone had already left Europe by the early 1900's. My wife's family is another story. Her dad was born in a DP camp in Germany. In fact her grandparents met while in the camps. It was pretty much an arranged marriage. They lost almost everyone on her Dad's size. Her dads family was orthodox and lived in rural areas throughout Eastern Europe. They were poor and would have like 7-10 kids per family. Almost everyone was slaughtered. We light a candle each year in their memory. Her dad won't talk about the war, he's not religious at all and my borther-in-law is pretty messed up about it. He left for Israel to join the army. It was his way of dealing with it. In 2001 he was invloved in a suicide bombing in Jerusalem at a bar called "Mikes Place". Many of his friends died in this attack and do this day deals with PTSD. He's since come home, has a business degree from Penn and can't hold a job and lives with his parents. So many people that have dealt with these terrible life events struggle with debilitating depression and anxiety. It's really common within my Jewish community.

Well that was a downer!

Yes, I settled on the same one think: Concept 2 Model D. I paid $945 off Amazon in October, and it was nice as they delivered in a couple days (Prime) and also allowed me to do 5 monthly payments with no interest. It looks like Amazon has stopped selling the Concept 2 maybe, and is selling other off brands. They are definite knockoffs, but half the price, so worth a look. But, (and it's a big butt!) I've been very happy with the rower and feel it was the right choice for me. Well made and easy to use, and it is very easy to store upright when not in use. If you go to Concept 2's website one of their big marketing pushes is that most of the YMCA's in the country use them and they even will tell you local Ys where you can go try it out if you like (I'd already used them as a former Y member). I have a bad knee and bad ankle. It does a good job of not bothering either too much. Plus, if your knee is hurting, you just shorten your stroke a little. It still will start to hurt my back after about 18 minutes. I believe it's my back muscles however, and not spine stuff. Not sure if it's my form (Lord knows I've had enough stroking practice!), but I've watched videos and think I'm good. Still, it gives me a great workout in 20-22 minutes. I base my workout on distance, so currently I'm doing 5K and wanting to work up to 8-10K. It's not quite the cardio workout for me that a stairclimber or Jacob's Ladder was, but I think is a great total body workout and it's getting my arms and shoulders in shape. I want to go longer to get an even better cardio workout. I'm very happy with it and enjoy the workout. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Speaking of that big butt:

Thanks for the info...confirms the good reviews I've read online...couple of weeks ago Amazon had one listed for like $1,700 so I guess a third party seller had marked it up.

I have signed up for a notification from Rogue when they become available ...hopefully it isn't to much longer...I need some cardio!

Thanks for the info...confirms the good reviews I've read online...couple of weeks ago Amazon had one listed for like $1,700 so I guess a third party seller had marked it up.

I have signed up for a notification from Rogue when they become available ...hopefully it isn't to much longer...I need some cardio!

Yeah, maybe Amazon is only not selling the Concept 2 because of lack of stock? Stinks, it was a great experience with Amazon, with the payment plan and quick, free delivery. Good luck, let me know how you like it!

Yeah, maybe Amazon is only not selling the Concept 2 because of lack of stock? Stinks, it was a great experience with Amazon, with the payment plan and quick, free delivery. Good luck, let me know how you like it!

Yep, definitely lack of stock...I love Amazon and would buy it through them if possible...seems like direct from Rogue might be the quickest...I hope...will let you know how I like it..thanks again for the info!

Yep, definitely lack of stock...I love Amazon and would buy it through them if possible...seems like direct from Rogue might be the quickest...I hope...will let you know how I like it..thanks again for the info!

Yeah, I've been really lucky overall with exercising. Bought the rower in October and dumped my Y membership, and also have great biking options all within a mile of my house. I'm 54 and I also wanted some strength training beyond dumbbells and I bought a set of workout bands. Might be the best fitness investment out there imo, I think I spent $24. I've never been a big weight lifter, but they are doing what I need and I think the resistance is great to help avoid injury, which is one of my prime goals.

Reactions: sdhoosier

The Concept 2 is definitely the gold standard. I have a WaterRower and I like it a lot, but my gym has Concept 2 rowers, and I really like them. So smooth. But at home, the WaterRower takes up much less footprint, and you can stand it up when you're done and, like that, it takes up very little space - maybe 2ft x 2ft. And I just really like the way my rower works too, it's very satisfying to use. WaterRowers used to lag way behind Concept 2 in technology (apps integration etc.) but they've caught up on that front with optional upgrades.

The Concept 2 is definitely the gold standard. I have a WaterRower and I like it a lot, but my gym has Concept 2 rowers, and I really like them. So smooth. But at home, the WaterRower takes up much less footprint, and you can stand it up when you're done and, like that, it takes up very little space - maybe 2ft x 2ft. And I just really like the way my rower works too, it's very satisfying to use. WaterRowers used to lag way behind Concept 2 in technology (apps integration etc.) but they've caught up on that front with optional upgrades.

In looking at rowers the price ranges from $300- 3k from what I see..given the cost of $900 and the mostly positive reviews (many from team rowers on Redditt), the Concept 2 seems the best bang for the buck... I just may have to wait a few weeks to grab one..

In looking at rowers the price ranges from $300- 3k from what I see..given the cost of $900 and the mostly positive reviews (many from team rowers on Redditt), the Concept 2 seems the best bang for the buck... I just may have to wait a few weeks to grab one..
I don't disagree. If I had room at home, i.e. dedicated gym space, I would have bought one too.

Dunno. If you have wonky knees or knee in my case, there are few options in terms of doing endurance level exercises. HIIT exercises are limited due to the knee unless I start doing kickboxing at the gym whenever the stupid lockdown (or circuit breaker euphemistically called here) gets lifted.

so you can or can't bike with bad knees, which?

The Concept2 stands up also, which is great. So the water rower you have is not as long as the Concept2? I thought most of the water rowers I'd seen were actually more than the Concept2, and I'd had such good experiences with them and the reviews were great, so that's how I opted to go.

The Concept2 stands up also, which is great. So the water rower you have is not as long as the Concept2? I thought most of the water rowers I'd seen were actually more than the Concept2, and I'd had such good experiences with them and the reviews were great, so that's how I opted to go.
Ah, didn't know the Concept2 stood up - cool. I don't think the WaterRower is as long as the Concept2 though haven't actually compared the specs there. Again, since I didn't have gym space and it was going to have to sit in a living space, I liked the look of the WaterRower better too, since it's made of wood and looks a little more like furniture or something.

Ah, didn't know the Concept2 stood up - cool. I don't think the WaterRower is as long as the Concept2 though haven't actually compared the specs there. Again, since I didn't have gym space and it was going to have to sit in a living space, I liked the look of the WaterRower better too, since it's made of wood and looks a little more like furniture or something.

I didn't know it when I got it, but I'm really glad it does, as you know, they have a big footprint. I keep it in my shop area where my dartboard is, and I'd probably never throw darts if it didn't!

rowing-machine-storage.jpg

Good row this morning! Trying to slowly bump up my distance, so I did 6K instead of my usual 5K. Took me 25 minutes. I at least want to get to where I'm rowing for 30 minutes.

C&C, how long do you row? It's hard for me to dial it back a little and go longer. When I try and do that, I always find myself creeping the intensity back up. I generally row for about 4-6 minutes as a warmup and then do a hard 4 minute portion followed by 4 minutes of recovery and back to a relaxed pace and then another 4 minute hard session and then cool down. My neighbor uses it and does 10K, but she rows a much slower/easier pace.

You CAN bike with bad knees. A ton of former runners turn to cycling as they age, it's low impact.
Yep, one of the top pro road riders is Canadian Mike Woods. Was a world class runner, tried to run through injuries and ruined his knees. Switched to cycling, and he's world class there as well. He's probably the only person to have run a sub four-minute mile and also completed the Tour de France.

so you can or can't bike with bad knees, which?

As others have said, yes you can. The key as I understand it is to get the saddle height correct. Too low, you can cause issues on the front of your knee, too high and it's the reverse.

With any type of cycling, find a LBS (Local Bike Shop) and have them fit you to the proper bike. You may have to visit more than one shop to find one you're comfortable with. There are unfortunately places where the staff is more interested in buying parts at cost and talking racing with each other than they are in customer service.

Saddle design is light years ahead of where it used to be. Almost all will have cutouts where the soft tissue is. Combined with a good quality pair of cycling shorts, there should be no discomfort. Same goes for all the rest of the contact points, if there's pain it's a sign of a fit or technique issue. Cycling shouldn't hurt.

I was watching a video on getting fit through biking by a bunch of ex-pro cyclists. They said that unless you are into racing etc, its best to start off at the level 2 pace -- above-average pace but steady. Not HITT or hill climbs etc to start with. It doesn't help your fitness. They call it a foundational fitness. And for most, its good enough with the HIIT level every other session.

Think this is the same for other exercises.

Exercising by heart rate.

The GCN videos are really good. I've not watched their training videos, but have seen many of their videos about technique and product reviews.

The point about the base miles is correct. When I've been off the bike for awhile, I usually go easy for 2-3 weeks before I start to put in any big efforts. My typical week has 2-3 big efforts, and a couple of recovery rides. I'll pick one day to do hill repeats, another to do a fast tempo ride, and the third is the group hammerfest ride. I'm the oldest and slowest, it takes everything I have just to hold their wheels (and that's with gaining 20% from the draft). The biggest gains I've made in fitness have come with riding with people who are faster than me. Recovery is key, your fitness gains are only going to be as good as your recovery, you have to allow your body to rebuild in between sessions. Hammer every day and you eventually become overtrained and lose fitness.

The GCN videos are really good. I've not watched their training videos, but have seen many of their videos about technique and product reviews.

The point about the base miles is correct. When I've been off the bike for awhile, I usually go easy for 2-3 weeks before I start to put in any big efforts. My typical week has 2-3 big efforts, and a couple of recovery rides. I'll pick one day to do hill repeats, another to do a fast tempo ride, and the third is the group hammerfest ride. I'm the oldest and slowest, it takes everything I have just to hold their wheels (and that's with gaining 20% from the draft). The biggest gains I've made in fitness have come with riding with people who are faster than me. Recovery is key, your fitness gains are only going to be as good as your recovery, you have to allow your body to rebuild in between sessions. Hammer every day and you eventually become overtrained and lose fitness.

Based on your training techniques it sounds like you wrote the script for their shows!

• Haha
Reactions: muubell
amazing scenery

The deserts and the dirt/rock roads would really beat you down though

Some day I will do a Florida to Maine ride (US1 and nearby rail trails is worked out) or Florida to California. Lots of pavement, bike lanes and/or dedicated bike trails for me!
Damn, I'd get tired driving that far.

Reactions: outside shooter

I don't disagree. If I had room at home, i.e. dedicated gym space, I would have bought one too.

After months on backorder my Rogue Concept 2 Rower is to be delivered Monday.

I can't wait to get it set up and get started. Will be my first real workout since this shit storm started!

5-workous-that-are-insanely-efficient-at-torching-fat-signature-2-700xh.jpg

After months on backorder my Rogue Concept 2 Rower is to be delivered Monday.

I can't wait to get it set up and get started. Will be my first real workout since this shit storm started!

5-workous-that-are-insanely-efficient-at-torching-fat-signature-2-700xh.jpg

Awesome! Watch a couple videos on proper rowing technique. My lower back used to get really tight at first, but most of it was poor technique. I love the workout.

ADVERTISEMENT