ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII's likely need to expand

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Given it seems Big XII will want/need to have a conference championship game, it looks like they will eventually need to add 2 more teams (Yes, I realize they can get a waiver for championship game w/o adding teams, but I am betting that if they get one it will only be an interim solution).

What 2 teams to you think they likely add and what if any impact do you see these additions having on the B1G? (I have seen suggestions of Boise State and U Cincy. I've wondered about BYU, Rice or maybe Colorado State.)

For geography purposes, I'd say Rice/Colorado St make most sense.

For purely football, probably Boise St and Cinci. Keep thinking BYU should join Pac 10 conf (are they at 12 yet?)

TBD, but College Football Inc. continues it's M&A process.

FYI, I don't like how Championship game is on a Monday night. Means any fan has to miss 2 days of work (or school) to attend. (Mon to get there in time, Tue to fly back that day). Why in heck can't that be on SAT Jan 10th? Oh well.

anyone who actually believes OSU got in instead of TCU or Baylor due to the B12 not having a CCG, is beyond naive.

and even if they did have one, little chance that the divisions would be such that Baylor would have played TCU in a CCG, as Baylor and TCU would most likely be in the same division.

that said, a CCG can knock a school/conference out of the playoffs, just as easy as help them get in..

the topics not discussed by the media 24/7, is the total and complete absurdity of only a 4 team playoff, as well as the total absurdity of a prehistoric pre tv rule requiring at least 12 schools divided into divisions, playing mandated round robin schedules within said divisions to play a CCG, still being on the books.

the 4 school playoff will be expanded,

the rule governing eligibility for a conference to play a CCG most likely will be amended or rendered moot, (the rule screws up things for every major conference, not just the B12).

diluting the B12 with non tier 1 schools, just to play a CCG that has as much chance of knocking you out of the playoffs as in, for the limited time said playoffs will be at 4 schools, and the limited time the 12 school rule still reigns, would be administrative malfeasance.

This post was edited on 12/8 7:26 PM by i'vegotwinners

So I ivegot..., you also think maybe the bowl selection was based on TV ratings and revenues from Ohio State versus Alabama instead of Baylor or TCU versus Alabama? It would be hard (impossible) to ignore, and really no different that a bowl wanting to invite an average Notre Dame over a more deserving choose your school.

They don't need to expand.

It would be a huge knee-jerk overreaction. It's just the way it turns out this year, not having a championship game hurt, but if even one of those Saturday night games had turned out differently, there would be a Big 12 team in the playoffs. If FSU AND OSU had gotten beat, there'd be two Big 12 teams in.

Those championship games will hurt a conference too in the future. It just didn't happen this year.

They should just stay as they are, try and beef up the OOC scheduling a bit, and carry on. Besides, I bet if Baylor/TCU were Texas/Oklahoma this year, one of them would've gotten in.

ADVERTISEMENT