ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Schedule 2020 (link)

man that is brutal. Just hope to be competitive this year. No injuries. Get good reps and experience for next year. I could see 6-4 or 4-6.

Or 10-0 and Rose Bowl champs. That's what ill root for!

Purdue looks like it will open 0-4 to start the season..
Could easily be 2-2. But whatever helps you sleep at night. Wish all the tough games weren't at the start though. Back half of the schedule is much easier.

Could easily be 2-2. But whatever helps you sleep at night. Wish all the tough games weren't at the start though. Back half of the schedule is much easier.
Sucks having to play Ohio st and Michigan. Illinois is your best chance in the first four... The season will be interesting for sure..

Purdue looks like it will open 0-4 to start the season..

If you have to play in AA , playing before far less than 110,000 and against a QB making his first start is as good as it gets. Iowa visits with a new QB and has lost 2 of last 3 vs Boilers. Ohio State’s is 3-5 in Ross-Ade since 2000. I like it!

Sucks having to play Ohio st and Michigan. Illinois is your best chance in the first four... The season will be interesting for sure..
That came out and I was like, woah. Of the first 4, I expect to beat Iowa and Illinois. Iowa because Brohm has had their number. Illinois because Purdue is better. I have a feeling Purdue could drop the Iowa game, but steal one from Michigan or Wisconsin. Idk why. Depends on the defense and if they can hold on. Tough schedules for Purdue and iu though! Haven't looked closely at iu's for a record, but I'm going 6-4 for Purdue.

where are the 6 wins? Illinois, Maryland two for sure. Then I’d say 50/50 @Rutgers and Purdue. I think 4-6 is much more likely than 6-4
I think you may be over rating Wisconsin in your analysis. Questions at Quarterback, replacing an All American Running Back, lost some experienced starters on Defense. A tough game in Madison, but not impossible, and it was already on the Schedule for that Weekend, so no disruption to start the year. Penn state at home is tough, but not impossible. We played them tough there last year and made 2 or 3 terrible plays that gave the game away.

I think you may be over rating Wisconsin in your analysis. Questions at Quarterback, replacing an All American Running Back, lost some experienced starters on Defense. A tough game in Madison, but not impossible, and it was already on the Schedule for that Weekend, so no disruption to start the year. Penn state at home is tough, but not impossible. We played them tough there last year and made 2 or 3 terrible plays that gave the game away.

What QB questions does Bucky have? They return their starter who went 10-4 and his backup will be a RS freshman who was an Elite 11 recruit at the position.

What QB questions does Bucky have? They return their starter who went 10-4 and his backup will be a RS freshman who was an Elite 11 recruit at the position.

Their QB is a good game manager. They’re a solid team, but beatable without their crazy crowd there.

why did we get minnesota? that seems a bit crappy. already play in the east and now play the top 2 teams in the west too.

that is major screwing by the big ten.

Hope so. They return their offense from last year so it is still a tough draw. Seems like they should have used the extra game to try to make the schedules more balanced.

1-3 is likely the predicted start for both IU and Purdue. Our best chance at an upset is Wisconsin and PU best chance at an upset is probably Michigan (in first 4 games).

I’m with you. If Indiana is as good as they claim to be, they’ll go out and beat some of these good teams.
That and I don't think Minnesota will be good. Middle of the pack. They lost 10 defensive starters and 78% of their returning WR production. They might have lost more than Purdue and iu combined coming off a season where they were 7-1 in 1 score games. That won't be repeated.

Wisconsin has problems when they are forced into throwing the ball when they don't want to. With Taylor gone there is a question about their ground game. I'm not sure their starting QB can be effective in situations where he is forced throw in long yardage situations.

Reactions: red hornet
where are the 6 wins? Illinois, Maryland two for sure. Then I’d say 50/50 @Rutgers and Purdue. I think 4-6 is much more likely than 6-4
Did you just list rutger as a 50/50 game??? Is that a joke, sarcasm, both??? Yes schiano is a good coach but he is taking over an absolute dumpster fire. Its going to be more than a year before they are considered a 50/50 game for most in the big ten

Reactions: Andy06
We were 8-4 last year, beat all of the teams we should have and lost to the ones we expected to (in basic terms). Looks to be a much more difficult schedule this year, but I see no reason why we would not improve as a team over all and win some games that we are not expected to. (Or, with a good showing early on, perhaps we will be expected to win some of those later games.) We are on an upward trend, imo, and I fully expect that. Looking at our player losses, I don't see much we can't overcome. I really like who all we have coming back and coming in.

Wisconsin has problems when they are forced into throwing the ball when they don't want to. With Taylor gone there is a question about their ground game. I'm not sure their starting QB can be effective in situations where he is forced throw in long yardage situations.

In the last 25 years Dayne, Taylor, Ball, Gordon, Davis and Hill have all rushed for between 3,900 and 7,125 yards in their careers. Taylor, Dwayne (twice) and Gordon have all have 2,000 yard seasons and Ball, Dayne, Taylor, White, Gordon, Davis, Hill and Clay have all rushed for 40 or MORE career touchdowns. What do you think the chances are that Bucky will not have a great running game?

Does anyone know why they changed some of the Home/Away locations, as opposed to just adding the 10th game? Looks like we just switched Michigan and Michigan State, which would seem to increase our chances of going 2-0 in those.

Go IU!

Does anyone know why they changed some of the Home/Away locations, as opposed to just adding the 10th game? Looks like we just switched Michigan and Michigan State, which would seem to increase our chances of going 2-0 in those.

Go IU!
I'd guess it is to ensure every team has 5 home and 5 away games.

Did you just list rutger as a 50/50 game??? Is that a joke, sarcasm, both??? Yes schiano is a good coach but he is taking over an absolute dumpster fire. Its going to be more than a year before they are considered a 50/50 game for most in the big ten
I thought the same thing. Anybody that had paid attention to college football the last decade would know that's not a 50/50 game.

In the last 25 years Dayne, Taylor, Ball, Gordon, Davis and Hill have all rushed for between 3,900 and 7,125 yards in their careers. Taylor, Dwayne (twice) and Gordon have all have 2,000 yard seasons and Ball, Dayne, Taylor, White, Gordon, Davis, Hill and Clay have all rushed for 40 or MORE career touchdowns. What do you think the chances are that Bucky will not have a great running game?
By the way, I hold my undergraduate Degree from Wisconsin, and spent time on campus and Camp Randall Stadium between 1972 and 1974. So I have every reason to respect Wisconsin and root for them in every game they play except against IU. Wisconsin's biggest strength is that they are able to identify prospects who can fit into their Offensive Line and develop them. These aren't the finished high school products who are 5 Star coming out of high school. Many of these guys are 2 and 3 Star out of high school and small town guys we used to refer to as plow jockeys (Guys who can repeatedly pick up hay bales and throw them into the hay loft). Many average backs can run behind the lines they put out there and be effective. Most of their Offensive Linemen start for at lest 2 or 3 years.

When i was hospitalized 2 years ago, I remember watching a game against Brigham Young in Madison. The Brigham Young Defense looked like they were in the Wisconsin Offensive Huddle. Wisconsin couldn't get anything going on offense, had to throw in many 2nd or 3rd and long situations and couldn't move the Ball. Brigham Young had very little Offense, but had enough to win the game. If you can get them stopped on first down and force long yardage, they aren't anywhere near as effective.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
By the way, I hold my undergraduate Degree from Wisconsin, and spent time on campus and Camp Randall Stadium between 1972 and 1974. So I have every reason to respect Wisconsin and root for them in every game they play except against IU. Wisconsin's biggest strength is that they are able to identify prospects who can fit into their Offensive Line and develop them. These aren't the finished high school products who are 5 Star coming out of high school. Many of these guys are 2 and 3 Star out of high school and small town guys we used to refer to as plow jockeys (Guys who can repeatedly pick up hay bales and throw them into the hay loft). Many average backs can run behind the lines they put out there and be effective. Most of their Offensive Linemen start for at lest 2 or 3 years.

When i was hospitalized 2 years ago, I remember watching a game against Brigham Young in Madison. The Brigham Young Defense looked like they were in the Wisconsin Offensive Huddle. Wisconsin couldn't get anything going on offense, had to throw in many 2nd or 3rd and long situations and couldn't move the Ball. Brigham Young had very little Offense, but had enough to win the game. If you can get them stopped on first down and force long yardage, they aren't anywhere near as effective.

Yes, that’s why the Wisconsin QB in that game transferred to FSU for his senior year and Jack Coan replaced him and 4 star Mertz is breathing down his back. The Badgers last five recruiting classes including this one have six 4 star OL, six 3 star OL and one 2 star OL. A recent story showed the Badgers rank # 1 in all of college football in producing NFL offensive linemen. The recruit well and develop well. That speaks to the program Alvarez brought to Madison thirty years ago.

I’m going with 6-4 based on this schedule. But it is a brutal start - 5 opponents in the first 6 games are top 15 in the country pre-season.
As much as I'd love to win 6, keep the momentum going, bowl (if they have bowl games), etc. For me, this season, I'm just thankful they will play (still a maybe probably). I realize that if we lose or IU doesn't win by 50, the boards will be a cesspool, but with everything that has happened, life, virus, death, fear, etc. I'm gonna temper expectations and just be thankful they can play. If they win 6 that's great. If they win more than 6, YAY! If they win 2, then I'm okay with it. Life will never be the same again, and I don't see it returning to "normal" anytime soon. To be able to play football games is so minute in the grand scheme of life, but I'll be thankful and enjoy it, win or lose, because I saw that games can easily disappear and under the guise of Safety, most think it's too risky to even try it. If it continues to be unsafe, games will never be played again, in any sport, and for a fan, that it heartbreaking to consider, so I'll take what I can get for as long as I am blessed to have it.

Football/no football, sports/no sports, school/distance learning . . . I can never recall a time in my life when so many people had such a difference of opinion and with good reason. I find myself changing thought/opinion on a daily basis with this whole Covid thing. I social distance, wear my mask, wash my hands and do all I can to protect myself and others. Still, I find myself thinking the data tells me my chances of getting killed in an auto accident are greater than the likelihood I will die from Covid 19. And yet, I could stop getting into a car and never have to worry about getting killed in an auto accident; still, I drive my car daily. Should Covid change life as we know it moving forward? Or, like driving cars and accepting the consequences, should life go on as usual with obvious exceptions (wear a mask, wash hands, etc.)? Today, I think life should go on, tomorrow I may think we need to shut it all down again. Can we all agree on one thing . . . Covid sucks !!!

Does anyone know why they changed some of the Home/Away locations, as opposed to just adding the 10th game?

I can speak with better knowledge about the Michigan/MSU/IU switch than I can the Wisconsin/Purdue/Nebraska one on in the west, but I’m guessing they are similar.

When the B10 moved from Leaders/Legends to East/West in 2014 (with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland), it happened after one year of a two year cycle that had been in place since Penn State entered in 93. When the B10 was 11 teams, the two teams you didn’t play were off for a 2 year cycle before coming back on again.

Michigan had a scheduling luxury of having Ohio State and Notre Dame at home in odd numbered years and Michigan State and Penn State in Even numbered years, until the B10 flipped PSU after PSU finally came off Michigan’s schedule in 2003 & 4 (they were not a “protected rivalry”). Suddenly the balance of the schedule was off for season ticket purposes. Michigan’s former AD wanted to schedule Ohio State and Michigan State at home in odd numbered years when the new B10 East would have 4 home conference games and 5 away conference games. That would leave Penn State and the designated team out of the west (Wisconsin for 6 seasons and next is Nebraska), plus the major non-conference games he was scheduling against Texas, Washington, UCLA, Va Tech, Arkansas.

Michigan fans were outraged by having to play at EL two years in a row in 2013& 2014 - coinciding with Hoke’s slide and Dantonio’s best MSU teams (no one noticed they had IU at home twice) and have lobbied to get it changed ever since. The succeeding AD has been more interested in having 7 home games per season which meant revising/cancelling many of the non-conference games and doing a bunch of one-offs against Army, Arkansas State, BYU etc to tide them over. The new AD was likely laughed out of the room by his colleagues who had remembered the predecessor lobbying for the change in the first place.

Changing the Michigan/MSU game meant you had to change two other games to keep both UM and MSU with 3 home/away intra conference games. That could be most easily done with Indiana.

In the East, Indiana plays one home/one away every year.
Maryland/Rutgers
Ohio State/Penn State
Michigan/Michigan State

In the West Purdue plays one home one away every year.
Northwestern/Illinois
Nebraska/Wisconsin
Iowa/Minnesota.

That is the basic formulation for the 6 games inside the conference. Next is your designated opponent in the West and the rest rotates to keep opponents on the schedule every once in a while.

Probably more information than you wanted, but without fans in the stands for most of these games, it made it far more palatable to the teams that were “Losing something” by playing on the road the second year in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT