--CJ Frederick…….…….6’3” 195 lbs
--Joe Weiskamp………..6’6” 210 lbs
--Joe Toussaint…………6’0” 185 lbs
--Jordan Buchanan….....6’1” 185 lbs
--Conner McCaffery...….6’5” 205 lbs
--Jack Nunge…………...6’11” 255 lbs
--Ahron Ulis……………..6’2” 175 lbs
--Patrick McCaffery….....6’9” 190 lbs.........medical redshirt

--Comments & Questions: Fran must have done something right in a prior life to develop and keep a player like Garza. He’s great to watch. This whole team is great to watch. Good enough to get to the FF? To the final game? Hard to do without great D, but we’ll see. Nunge is back from injury---he started at the beginning of last year. And they added Pat M., who dropped a little on Rivals his SR year but still ended up at #75. They added 5 freshmen. Josh Ogundele, 6’11” 245 lbs was not a Ricals top 150 guy but might help if there’s an emergency…

2. Illinois:
--Ayo Dosunmu………6’5” 185 lb
--Kofi Cockburn………6’11 250 lbs
--Georgi Bezhanishvili 6'9" 245 lbs
--Da'Monte Williams....6'3" 200 lbs
--Trent Frazier..............6'2" 175 lbs
--Austin Hutcherson.....6'6" 175 lbs......TR from Wesleyan Coll. (CT)
--Jacob Grandison.......6'6" 175 lbs......TR from Holy Cross
--Adam Miller................6'3" 170 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #34
--Andrew Carbelo.........6'1" 175 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #38
--Coleman Hawkins......6'9" 210 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #142

--Comments & Questions: So the question here appears to be outside shooting. Hutcherson & Grandison were brought in as shooters. Hutcherson was Div 3, Grandison played at Holy Cross. Both had good shooting #s at that level. Can they contribute in the BT? Miller was Mr. Basketball in Illinois. He's a scorer, both on outside shooting & on taking it to the basket. 2 other questions for me: Can Frazier develop any consistency? Can Georgi adapt his game to be a little better playing alongside Cockburn? Carbelo is a pass first pg who should get a lot of time. Hawkins will probably be the #3 big...he might get 5m/game.

3. Wisconsin:
--D'Mitrick Trice........6'0" 185 lbs
--Brad Davidson.......6'4" 206 lbs
--Nate Teuvers..........6'11" 235 lbs
--Micah Potter...........6'10" 248 lbs
--Aleem Ford.............6'8" 217 lbs
--Taylor Wahl.............6'7" 214 lbs
--Trevor Anderson.....6'2" 200 lbs
--Ben Carson.............6'8" 210 lbs..........Freshman, #105 Rivals.
--Lorne Bowman........6'2" 180 lbs..........Freshman, NR Rivals

Comments & Questions: You have to give it up to them. No way they should finish this high, but they probably will, or better. They were dead in the water last year........just amazing. Anyway......everyone's back. The biggest question is will Potter blow up to AA level? If so, they could be FF material. Carson should get some time. Bowman wasn't highly rated, but may need to play some.

4. MSU:
--Rocket Watts............6'2" 185 lbs
--Aaron Henry.............6'6" 210 lbs
--Gabe Brown.............6'7" 200 lbs
--Malik Hall..................6'7" 215 lbs
--Marcus Bingham.......6'11" 225 lbs
--Julius Marble.............6'8" 225 lbs
--Thomas Kithier..........6'8" 230 lbs
--Foster Loyer..............6'0" 175 lbs
--Josh Langford............6'5" 200 lbs........medical red shirt
--Joey Hauser...............6'9" 225 lbs........TR from Marquette
--Mady Sissoko.............6'9" 225 lbs........Freshman, #46 Rivals
--AJ Hoggard.................6'2" 190 lbs........Freshman, #75 Rivals

--Comments & Questions: As I'm writing this I'm questioning why I have MSU behind Wisconsin, and even Illinois. But my main question about this team is....who will play pg? The forecasters I've seen say Rocket.....but he sure looks like more of a scoring guard, where he's big-time. It didn't look like Loyer would be the answer. Perhaps Hoggard will be, by the end of the year. The other question I have is.......there's great depth here, and some very nice players (Henry, Hauser, Langford (if healthy), Brown), but where's the star power? I don't think after last year Henry will be that guy. They'll miss Tillman, of course, but they've got plenty of depth for the 4 & 5 positions. So getting back to the original question....this looks like a typical MSU team that will have to figure it out as the year goes along, but with plenty of talent to do so. They may finish 4th in the BT and still make it to the FF............

5. Michigan:
--Isaiah Livers...............6'7" 220 lbs
--Eli Brooks...................6'1" 185 lbs
--Brandon Johns...........6'8" 240 lbs
--Franz Wagner.............6'9" 220 lbs
--Adrien Nunez..............6'6" 210 lbs
--Austin Davis................6'10" 210 lbs
--Mike Smith..................5'11" 185 lbs.........TR from Columbia
--Chaundee Brown**......6'5" 220 lbs..........TR from Wake
--Hunter Dickerson.........7'1" 255 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #40
--Terrance Williams.........6'7" 240 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #106
--Zeb Jackson.................6'5" 180 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #91

--Comments & Questions: Michigan will be one of the more interesting teams to watch this year. The first 4 players listed are a nice building block. 2 'near-stars' in Livers & Wagner. But the big story is the infusion of talent. The big question is the 5 position....Dickerson will have to start there, sooner or later. They have issues if he's a bust. Smith was a very good player at Columbia, and one of the top grad transfers this year. He'll start. Williams will play some, as there's not a lot of beef here. The wild card is Brown, who was a nice player at Wake. He's seeking a waiver, which Michigan fans think will be granted. (Query: Why do Michigan fans feel more confident of a waiver here than Minnesota fans do for Goth, the transfer from Utah?....I can't imagine) If he gets denied Jackson may have a greater role.

6. Rutgers:
--Geo Baker....................6'2" 180 lbs
--Ron Harper...................6'6" 200 lbs
--Myles Johnson.............6'9" 245 lbs
--Montez Mathis..............6'4" 190 lbs
--Caleb McConnell..........6'5" 175 lbs
--Paul Mulcahy................6'6" 190 lbs
--Jacob Young.................6'2" 185 lbs
--Cliff Omoruyi.................6'10" 230 lbs..........Freshman, #42 Rivals

--Comments & Questions: I feel bad having RU ahead of IU, and I know many will disagree, but the first 7 players listed are a very good foundation on which to build. The questions here are....1. is there star power here? ; and 2. who's going to shoot? I think #2 is the bigger issue when it comes to the goal of making a final 16/final 8 run. This team has to manufacture points.....Baker, Mathis, and Harper are all capable but also streaky. That seems unlikely to change this year. McConnell seems like a lock to join those 3 as borderline stars....but there's the question of exactly what role he (and Mulcahy) is supposed to play. The remaining question I have is Johnson's play. He seems to have come a little unhinged last year. From descriptions, Omoruyi reminds of Illinois' Cockburn, maybe not as good offensively but perhaps even better on D. It doesn't look like he & Johnson can play together much. If they split the 5 position it may take pressure off of Johnson, and also motivate him.

7. Indiana:
--TJD.......................................6'9" 245 lbs
--Joey Brunk............................6'11" 245 lbs
--Al Durham.............................6'4" 185 lbs
--Rob Phinisee.........................6'1' 190 lbs
--Jerome Hunter.......................6'7" 220 lbs
--Race Thompson....................6'8" 235 lbs
--Armaan Franklin....................6'4" 195 lbs
--Khristian Lander.....................6'2" 165 lbs.........Freshman, Rivals #26
--Jordan Geronimo...................6'6" 190 lbs.........Freshman, Rivals #90
--Trey Galloway........................6'4" 200 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #143
--Anthony Leal..........................6'5" 195 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #127

--Comments & Questions: Taking off the cream & crimson glasses, I still have more questions about IU than I do about Michigan or RU. The biggest, of course......just how good will Lander be, and how will Rob react to his presence? Both would seem to want the ball in their hands. Will Rob finally shake his health issues and become the player we thought he could be? Will Jerome Hunter be as enthusiastic about D as about shooting? Specifically, will he be able to guard the quicker forwards that are too fast for Race? The rest of the guys other than TJD are, I think, all role players, not that there's anything bad about that. But the keys, I think, will be 1. How good is Lander? 2. Will Rob take charge? 3. Will Jerome play D?

Well, there it is. Let me know if you see errors, and what you think........

Last edited:
Blinders off, IU way to low. I don't think there are that many questions with Landers or Rob. TJD is almost unstoppable and can handle Landers Jason Kidd like passes. No chance of winning the Big with Iowa in the race though...

Blinders off, IU way to low. I don't think there are that many questions with Landers or Rob. TJD is almost unstoppable and can handle Landers Jason Kidd like passes. No chance of winning the Big with Iowa in the race though...
I’m not sold on Iowa. They (at times) rely on Garza way to much. He scored 38 against IU and still got beat pretty handily. I think the top 8 in the B1G can compete with each other. Who wins the most games on the road will win the conference. (Obviously). It’s going to be a ride watching.

Reactions: hoosier48
Here's the remainder of my 2020-21 preview, for teams 1-7:

1. Iowa:
--Luke Garza……………6’11” 260 lbs
--Jack Nunge…………...6’11” 155 lbs

--Comments & Questions: Fran must have done something right in a prior life to develop and keep a player like Garza. He’s great to watch. This whole team is great to watch. Good enough to get to the FF? To the final game? Hard to do without great D, but we’ll see. Nunge is back from injury---he started at the beginning of last year. And they added Pat M., who dropped a little on Rivals his SR year but still ended up at #75. They added 5 freshmen. Josh Ogundele, 6’11” 245 lbs was not a Ricals top 150 guy but might help if there’s an emergency…

2. Illinois:
--Jacob Grandison........6'6" 175 lbs......TR from Holy Cross
--Adam Miller.................6'3" 170 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #34
--Andrew Carbelo..........6'1" 175 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #38
--Coleman Hawkins.......6'9" 210 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #142

--Comments & Questions: So the question here appears to be outside shooting. Hutcherson & Grandison were brought in as shooters. Hutcherson was Div 3, Grandison played at Holy Cross. Both had good shooting #s at that level. Can they contribute in the BT? Miller was Mr. Basketball in Illinois. He's a scorer, both on outside shooting & on taking it to the basket. 2 other questions for me: Can Frazier develop any consistency? Can Georgi adapt his game to be a little better playing alongside Cockburn? Carbelo is a pass first pg who should get a lot of time. Hawkins will probably be the #3 big...he might get 5m/game.

3. Wisconsin:

Comments & Questions: You have to give it up to them. No way they should finish this high, but they probably will, or better. They were dead in the water last year........just amazing. Anyway......everyone's back. The biggest question is will Potter blow up to AA level? If so, they could be FF material. Carson should get some time. Bowman wasn't highly rated, but may need to play some.

4. MSU:
--Aaron Henry..............6'6" 210 lbs
--Gabe Brown..............6'7" 200 lbs
--Malik Hall...................6'7" 215 lbs
--Thomas Kithier...........6'8" 230 lbs
--Foster Loyer...............6'0" 175 lbs
--Josh Langford.............6'5" 200 lbs........medical red shirt
--Joey Hauser................6'9" 225 lbs........TR from Marquette
--Mady Sissoko..............6'9" 225 lbs........Freshman, #46 Rivals

--Comments & Questions: As I'm writing this I'm questioning why I have MSU behind Wisconsin, and even Illinois. But my main question about this team is....who will play pg? The forecasters I've seen say Rocket.....but he sure looks like more of a scoring guard, where he's big-time. It didn't look like Loyer would be the answer. Perhaps Hoggard will be, by the end of the year. The other question I have is.......there's great depth here, and some very nice players (Henry, Hauser, Langford (if healthy), Brown), but where's the star power? I don't think after last year Henry will be that guy. They'll miss Tillman, of course, but they've got plenty of depth for the 4 & 5 positions. So getting back to the original question....this looks like a typical MSU team that will have to figure it out as the year goes along, but with plenty of talent to do so. They may finish 4th in the BT and still make it to the FF............

5. Michigan:

--Comments & Questions: Michigan will be one of the more interesting teams to watch this year. The first 4 players listed are a nice building block. 2 'near-stars' in Livers & Wagner. But the big story is the infusion of talent. The big question is the 5 position....Dickerson will have to start there, sooner or later. They have issues if he's a bust. Smith was a very good player at Columbia, and one of the top grad transfers this year. He'll start. Williams will play some, as there's not a lot of beef here. The wild card is Brown, who was a nice player at Wake. He's seeking a waiver, which Michigan fans think will be granted. (Query: Why do Michigan fans feel more confident of a waiver here than Minnesota fans do for Goth, the transfer from Utah?....I can't imagine) If he gets denied Jackson may have a greater role.

6. Rutgers:

--Comments & Questions: I feel bad having RU ahead of IU, and I know many will disagree, but the first 7 players listed are a very good foundation on which to build. The questions here are....1. is there star power here? ; and 2. who's going to shoot? I think #2 is the bigger issue when it comes to the goal of making a final 16/final 8 run. This team has to manufacture points.....Baker, Mathis, and Harper are all capable but also streaky. That seems unlikely to change this year. McConnell seems like a lock to join those 3 as borderline stars....but there's the question of exactly what role he (and Mulcahy) is supposed to play. The remaining question I have is Johnson's play. He seems to have come a little unhinged last year. From descriptions, Omoruyi reminds of Illinois' Cockburn, maybe not as good offensively but perhaps even better on D. It doesn't look like he & Johnson can play together much. If they split the 5 position it may take pressure off of Johnson, and also motivate him.

7. Indiana:
--Khristian Lander.....................6'2" 165 lbs.........Freshman, Rivals #26
--Trey Galloway........................6'4" 200 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #143
--Anthony Leal..........................6'5" 195 lbs..........Freshman, Rivals #127

--Comments & Questions: Taking off the cream & crimson glasses, I still have more questions about IU than I do about Michigan or RU. The biggest, of course......just how good will Lander be, and how will Rob react to his presence? Both would seem to want the ball in their hands. Will Rob finally shake his health issues and become the player we thought he could be? Will Jerome Hunter be as enthusiastic about D as about shooting? Specifically, will he be able to guard the quicker forwards that are too fast for Race? The rest of the guys other than TJD are, I think, all role players, not that there's anything bad about that. But the keys, I think, will be 1. How good is Lander? 2. Will Rob take charge? 3. Will Jerome play D?

So many questions for Indiana: Rob's health and ability to control the offense, hit some three's, make assists, etc; shooters are also a question...who can spread the floor and it has to be 3 guys to hit 3's; if 3's go down then TJD and Brunk and/or Race and/or Hunter may have break out season; Brunk has to stand tall down the stretch but has been hampered by defenses collapsing when IU can't spread the court; and can Archie Miller get this team over the hump? Stay tuned, don't touch that dial....go IU!!

1. Iowa:
--Jack Nunge…………...6’11” 155 lbs

2. Illinois:
--Jacob Grandison........6'6" 175 lbs......TR from Holy Cross
--Adam Miller.................6'3" 170 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #34
--Andrew Carbelo..........6'1" 175 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #38
--Coleman Hawkins.......6'9" 210 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #142

3. Wisconsin:

4. MSU:
--Aaron Henry..............6'6" 210 lbs
--Gabe Brown..............6'7" 200 lbs
--Malik Hall...................6'7" 215 lbs
--Thomas Kithier...........6'8" 230 lbs
--Foster Loyer...............6'0" 175 lbs
--Josh Langford.............6'5" 200 lbs........medical red shirt
--Joey Hauser................6'9" 225 lbs........TR from Marquette
--Mady Sissoko..............6'9" 225 lbs........Freshman, #46 Rivals

5. Michigan:

6. Rutgers:

7. Indiana:

I think Nunge is more than 155#

Why did IU not recruit 6'11" Jack Nunge?
Well...he was skinny and wasn’t 6’11” at the time. Ranked like 200 something. Nebraska was the only other offer from a power 5. This forum would’ve been up in arms if we took him over a higher ranked kid.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Roads wins will separate the best from the others. It takes mental toughness to win on the road and frankly that is something I do not see in these Hoosiers nor have I seen it since RMK. A teams determination and toughness is often a reflection of the coach. Look at Michigan State as an example. I can't stand Izzo buuuuut he is hard nosed and tough and so are his teams unfortunately. Knight used to instill the same qualities. Hoping I see that in Coach Miller.

Roads wins will separate the best from the others. It takes mental toughness to win on the road and frankly that is something I do not see in these Hoosiers nor have I seen it since RMK. A teams determination and toughness is often a reflection of the coach. Look at Michigan State as an example. I can't stand Izzo buuuuut he is hard nosed and tough and so are his teams unfortunately. Knight used to instill the same qualities. Hoping I see that in Coach Miller.
IU has beat the last 2 Izzo teams...at home and on the road. -esplain that!

IU has beat the last 2 Izzo teams...at home and on the road. -esplain that!
I guess Archie has Izzo's number.
MSU's dribble drive hand off offense is stale.
MSU's calling card is hard nosed physical defense and intensity. MSU is kind of like Purdue only with better recruiting.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
MSU's calling card is hard nosed physical defense and intensity. MSU is kind of like Purdue only with better recruiting.
It’s going to be interesting to see the changes Archie has made.

I’m not sold on Iowa. They (at times) rely on Garza way to much. He scored 38 against IU and still got beat pretty handily. I think the top 8 in the B1G can compete with each other. Who wins the most games on the road will win the conference. (Obviously). It’s going to be a ride watching.
I think Iowa is final four good...if Bohannon comes back from his injury 100%. He was a huge loss for them last year.

I think Iowa is final four good...if Bohannon comes back from his injury 100%. He was a huge loss for them last year.
I’m not sure. I think they are sweet 16 good. Are they 4-5 games better? Probably

i didn't realize Lander was the only freshman coming in, but all recent threads and posts seem to indicate he is.

i'm pretty confident on Hunter being a big contributor on offense and being able to defend, and wouldn't be surprised to see one of the other freshmen besides Lander step up and contribute as well.

Final four? Ever watch Garza or Iowa play defense? They're not very good at it.

Fran's kenpom defensive efficiency ranking last three years.

19/20 - 97
18/19 - 111
17/18 - 242

At least they're trending up, maybe even get into the 70s this year.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

As mentioned, the biggest question mark with Iowa is can the fightin' fran's play defense? If they do, they will be very good.

Then why the f*** can't we beat Purdue?

1. Iowa:
--Jack Nunge…………...6’11” 255 lbs

2. Illinois:
--Jacob Grandison.......6'6" 175 lbs......TR from Holy Cross
--Adam Miller................6'3" 170 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #34
--Andrew Carbelo.........6'1" 175 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #38
--Coleman Hawkins......6'9" 210 lbs......Freshman, Rivals #142

3. Wisconsin:

4. MSU:
--Aaron Henry.............6'6" 210 lbs
--Gabe Brown.............6'7" 200 lbs
--Malik Hall..................6'7" 215 lbs
--Thomas Kithier..........6'8" 230 lbs
--Foster Loyer..............6'0" 175 lbs
--Josh Langford............6'5" 200 lbs........medical red shirt
--Joey Hauser...............6'9" 225 lbs........TR from Marquette
--Mady Sissoko.............6'9" 225 lbs........Freshman, #46 Rivals

5. Michigan:

6. Rutgers:

7. Indiana:

Mostly solid reasoning and logic (would you fix Jordan Bohannon?), but if we're 7th then I don't think Archie is working as IU's coach. I can accept that things haven't always broken our way, wrong personnel for his style, etc... but basically 7th is right where we should be based off last year. If we've got the right guy, we need to be moving up into new territory in the conference. I think we should be right there in the mix with WI, IL and MSU.

What did Iowa do last year? They have essentially the same team and same coach? They will do about the same this year.

Plus they will still suck at defense.

I am not saying they didn't have a good year last year. And not saying it wont be another good year this year. I just wouldn't write them into the FF until they show they can play D.

What did Iowa do last year? They have essentially the same team and same coach? They will do about the same this year.

I am not saying they didn't have a good year last year. And not saying it wont be another good year this year. I just wouldn't write them into the FF until they show they can play D.
I think they have everyone back and Bohannon. They should be better. They better play some defense though.

I’m thinking Illinois is the real sleeper this year. Not Iowa. Good coach and some freakishly good players. If they can get it all put together this year, they might be FF good.

Reactions: kkott

They were 20-11 overall, 11-9 in the BT. They were ranked as high as 17th, and finished at 25th.

They lost Ryan Kreiner & Cordell Pemsl, two ok reserves.

Bohannon played only 10 games. Getting him back is big. They missed him.

They also get Nunge back. He started last year, and got hurt after 6 games.

They also get Pat McCaffrey, who is a skilled, 6'9" guy who was hurt last year. He's probably their 2nd highest rated recruit of the last 15 years, after Joe W.

Those are 3 big additions.

Then, consider that Toussaint showed big-time potential last year as a true freshman, and will probably be significantly improved. Last year was also CJ Fredrick's first experience (as a RS Freshman).

Then throw in a highly motivated star in Garza, known as a relentless worker.....playing for a BT championship, National PoY, and an NBA lottery pick. What if he's better this year by 10%? 15%?

So......I think they have reason to be very optimistic.

Reactions: kkott
i didn't realize Lander was the only freshman coming in, but all recent threads and posts seem to indicate he is.

i'm pretty confident on Hunter being a big contributor on offense and being able to defend, and wouldn't be surprised to see one of the other freshmen besides Lander step up and contribute as well.
Re-read post of players. Geronimo, Leal and Galloway all freshmen. Don't know why you would think otherwise

ADVERTISEMENT