ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten playoff picture

Does the Big Ten get anyone into the playoff this year?

• Yes, OSU

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Yes, but not OSU

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
We are still too early to tell what every team is, but OSU's defense looks really flawed, and if nothing else CJ Stroud is not as electric as Justin Fields, he's talented but has many flaws Fields didn't have, notably his inconsistency throughout games. I want to see how PSU does against Auburn before I lock in my opinion of them, but I think PSU looks pretty good this season, I think they have the talent to beat OSU, but honestly I think the B1G is looking like they don't have a playoff team in it this year.

Michigan has beaten bad teams, so it's too early to tell on them but I don't think they can go from 2-4 to playoff contender in one season anyway.

PSU may be good enough if they can get their offense going, but they have three pretty tough games, Auburn, at Iowa and at OSU, I don't think they can go 12-0 from what I have seen on the field thus far from their offense.

That just leaves the west, and there's only two football teams that are even ranked. Wisco has ND, so if they could win that game they get Iowa at home, but this Wisconsin team doesn't feel special to me, and until their offense modernizes, I don't think they will be able to make the playoff, plus they already have a loss.

That just leaves Iowa, who is a laughable 5th in the most recent AP poll, I don't understand how they moved all the way up to 10th after beating a team the AP poll didn't rank in the same week, preseason polling is pushing Iowa to heights they really don't deserve. They have a good defense, but the D-line looked pretty average against ISU, I just don't think their offense is explosive enough to go undefeated this year.

I see 4 or five teams between 8 and 10 wins, maybe one unimpressive 11 win team, but I don't see a single team who could compete in the playoff this year. I guess we'll just see where the season takes us, let's see what you guys think.

B10 in a bad spot. Still think OSU wins the title and ends the year 12-1 and ends any hope for a B10 team getting in. If Bama and Georgia are undefeated heading into the SEC title game the loser gets in so long as it is competitive. Oregon is sitting in the drivers seat and has the best win of the season to date. PAC 12 looks abominable as does the Big 12.

FPI playoff percentages:

Ohio State 22.4%
Penn State 15.4%
Iowa 9.5%
Michigan 5.8%

That's 53.1%... 54.1% if you add Wisconsin's 0.8% and MSU's 0.2%

This has the feeling of a year where everyone has 1-2 losses.

Ohio State lost early which is the best time to lose. The next two weeks they have mid-majors (Tulsa and Akron), then they play bottom dwellers Rutgers and Maryland. They get PSU at home and don't play Iowa or Wisconsin until potentially the Big Ten Championship.

Reactions: vesuvius13
FPI playoff percentages:

Ohio State 22.4%
Penn State 15.4%
Iowa 9.5%
Michigan 5.8%

That's 53.1%... 54.1% if you add Wisconsin's 0.8% and MSU's 0.2%

This has the feeling of a year where everyone has 1-2 losses.

Ohio State lost early which is the best time to lose. The next two weeks they have mid-majors (Tulsa and Akron), then they play bottom dwellers Rutgers and Maryland. They get PSU at home and don't play Iowa or Wisconsin until potentially the Big Ten Championship.
I don't understand the Michigan hype train starting up again.
They beat WMU, who is a MAC team, which is never very impressive.

And while they beat Washington in what was supposed to be a marquee game before the season, that same Washington lost to a FCS team and only put up seven points the week before. A lot of us have had complaints about IU's offense, but Washington's is genuinely atrocious. That they were ever ranked to start the year is looking to be a huge joke. And besides that, Michigan only managed 44 passing yards in that game. Forty-Four. I'm far from convinced they've actually gotten on track up there.

And while they beat Washington in what was supposed to be a marquee game before the season, that same Washington lost to a FCS team and only put up seven points the week before. A lot of us have had complaints about IU's offense, but Washington's is genuinely atrocious. That they were ever ranked to start the year is looking to be a huge joke. And besides that, Michigan only managed 44 passing yards in that game. Forty-Four. I'm far from convinced they've actually gotten on track up there.
I really have no opinions on UM good or bad, do I think they have improved from last year, of course, but honestly Washington looks pathetic right now so they haven't really played anyone of note, and that game was at home and their other game was against Western Michigan, enough said. Until they get into B1G play I don't have any reason to believe they will be better than an 8-4 team.

The only reason they are ranked is because there was hype surrounding Washington, so that win feels bigger than it is because of how underwhelming Washington has been to open the year.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
B10 in a bad spot. Still think OSU wins the title and ends the year 12-1 and ends any hope for a B10 team getting in. If Bama and Georgia are undefeated heading into the SEC title game the loser gets in so long as it is competitive. Oregon is sitting in the drivers seat and has the best win of the season to date. PAC 12 looks abominable as does the Big 12.
If osu finishes 12-1 they're in the playoff unless there are 4 other undefeated P5 teams.

That's fine. You're wrong, but that's fine.

I mean it’s an opinion and we’re two weeks into the season but a 12-1 Ohio State still has a huge uphill battle even 2 weeks into the season. It’s not like a 12-1 OSU team hasn’t been left out before….oh wait.

You can already pencil in the SEC winner. Oregon is going to have to lose twice now for Ohio State to jump them as a 12-1 Oregon team with a head to win over OSU is getting in. Very real chance Oklahoma goes undefeated and there’s your third team. A Georgia team that goes 12-1 with their lone loss being to Alabama is going to get in over OSU given their neutral win over Clemson who also figures to be 12-1 cone selection day. Ohio State doesn’t control their own destiny at this point.

Reactions: 76-1

Good post. I think Michigan Hype sells period. I don't believe it's any more complicated than that. No other real reason. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13
They do this every year. Start off the season well out-of-conference, then head on the road in the Big Ten and lay an egg.

They'll be 4-0 traveling to Madison. Harbaugh is 0-11 as an underdog and this Wisconsin team beat them by 38 last year in Ann Arbor.

I'll reserve judgment on Wisconsin until after their game against ND in 2 weeks. Although ND might not even be good. They should have lost to Toledo but Toledo's RB pulled a Devyn Ford (PSU RB who scored against us last year) instead of going down and kicking a game winning field goal.

Is anyone other than Bama good?

They do this every year. Start off the season well out-of-conference, then head on the road in the Big Ten and lay an egg.

They'll be 4-0 traveling to Madison. Harbaugh is 0-11 as an underdog and this Wisconsin team beat them by 38 last year in Ann Arbor.

I'll reserve judgment on Wisconsin until after their game against ND in 2 weeks. Although ND might not even be good. They should have lost to Toledo but Toledo's RB pulled a Devyn Ford (PSU RB who scored against us last year) instead of going down and kicking a game winning field goal.

Is anyone other than Bama good?

Georgia has an elite defense, maybe the best in the country. JT Daniels, although banged up, is a good QB and they have elite skill position players littered across the field. Daniels future health is imperative but they should be in so long as their only loss (assuming they have one) is to Bama in the SEC title game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT