ADVERTISEMENT

Big loss

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Anyone saying Kaufman to Purdue isn’t a huge loss...well they’re wrong.

1. He quite obviously filled a huge need on our roster. If what some have said is true, that we likened his future role to TJDs, that’s crazy dumb. Juwan Morgan is a more recent example they could have used, much more well rounded role, who was/is much more successful than any recent PU wing/big. Heck, just portraying how he’d be a better version of Justin Smith should have been impactful. TJD is nothing like Kaufman.

2. Losing a southern Indiana kid to Purdue ain’t good.

3. It wasn’t just Kaufman we lost out to them on. It was Kaufman and Furst. The two best wing/bigs in the state.

Wish him well. Purdue is a solid program. And they’ll be more than solid now probably. Getting Mohammed and Miller certainly would soften this blow. But for a bunch of reasons, I’d take Kaufman over getting both those guys. So this stings.

Not the end of the world. But not good.

Anyone saying Kaufman to Purdue isn’t a huge loss...well they’re wrong.

1. He quite obviously filled a huge need on our roster. If what some have said is true, that we likened his future role to TJDs, that’s crazy dumb. Juwan Morgan is a more recent example they could have used, much more well rounded role, who was/is much more successful than any recent PU wing/big. Heck, just portraying how he’d be a better version of Justin Smith should have been impactful. TJD is nothing like Kaufman.

2. Losing a southern Indiana kid to Purdue ain’t good.

3. It wasn’t just Kaufman we lost out to them on. It was Kaufman and Furst. The two best wing/bigs in the state.

Wish him well. Purdue is a solid program. And they’ll be more than solid now probably. Getting Mohammed and Miller certainly would soften this blow. But for a bunch of reasons, I’d take Kaufman over getting both those guys. So this stings.

Not the end of the world. But not good.

Mostly agree. Is Swanigan not recent enough?

Mostly agree. Is Swanigan not recent enough?

Yeah, he played for Painter. Any of his bigs are game I guess. But I wouldn’t think he’s a great TK comp.

Edwards is way too perimeter oriented. But maybe that is where Kaufman sees himself?

TJD is much, much, too limited to interior successes at IU to have used him as the comp for Kaufman. Heck, it could even go against Archie if people see TJD as someone that didn’t develop much of any perimeter game during year 1.

Juwan Morgan flourished under Archie as a true stretch 4. He played with his back for the basket. He played outside. Depended on the matchup. And now he’s playing in the NBA. I’m just going to assume Archie made that connection and it just didn’t stick for TK.

Purdue doesn’t really have a recent good comp. but obviously painter did a better job of convincing TK they’d help get him where he wanted to go. Despite not really having much of a track record of doing that?

Yeah, he played for Painter. Any of his bigs are game I guess. But I wouldn’t think he’s a great TK comp.

Edwards is way too perimeter oriented. But maybe that is where Kaufman sees himself?

TJD is much, much, too limited to interior successes at IU to have used him as the comp for Kaufman. Heck, it could even go against Archie if people see TJD as someone that didn’t develop much of any perimeter game during year 1.

Juwan Morgan flourished under Archie as a true stretch 4. He played with his back for the basket. He played outside. Depended on the matchup. And now he’s playing in the NBA. I’m just going to assume Archie made that connection and it just didn’t stick for TK.

Purdue doesn’t really have a recent good comp. but obviously painter did a better job of convincing TK they’d help get him where he wanted to go. Despite not really having much of a track record of doing that?

Hasn’t had many players in the same stratosphere of rating to go off of though- which I suppose fits what you are saying. TK is the 2nd highest rates player CMP has ever got to commit behind only Swanigan. Other players who have been drafted to the NBA were closer to top 100- not top 30

What do you guys see TJD being in the NBA? A 4? Did he shoot any from 3 or the perimeter last year? Can he hold up as a 5 in the NBA?

A team that has beaten IU with toughness and team play will now have better talent too.

This is bad news for Miller and the Hoosiers. A very big blow against Miller, in my opinion to miss on both Furst and Kaufman.

I, sadly, agree with you. From a basketball perspective we just didn't need yet another wing player. I think Trey saw that as much as the rest of us, and clearly, wanted to play on the wing. I think this recruiting "loss" is a bigger loss symbolically than it is a basketball loss. Nevertheless, the "inside-out" approach is falling apart: we're clearly back to not getting the best players in the state (Brooks, Furst, Kaufmann)

I, sadly, agree with you. From a basketball perspective we just didn't need yet another wing player. I think Trey saw that as much as the rest of us, and clearly, wanted to play on the wing. I think this recruiting "loss" is a bigger loss symbolically than it is a basketball loss. Nevertheless, the "inside-out" approach is falling apart: we're clearly back to not getting the best players in the state (Brooks, Furst, Kaufmann)

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

He definitely missed the opportunity to use Morgan as an example. He used TJD instead and Kaufman is a very different player than TJD. Paynter sold him on being a 3.

Will be very interesting to see how he does as a wing. Especially guarding a 3.

Do we know that the reason was how he would be utilized? I haven’t seen it mentioned, but perhaps it was about his opinion of which team had the better chance of success? As an IU fan I abhor Pu, WL, even their colors. And I love IU and Bloomington.

But......

Look at it from his POV. During his HS career he has seen a PU program that has been fairly consistent at:

Competing for a conference title
Going to the sweet 16 (2017, 2018, 2019)
Sweeping IU

I can point to the banners all I want and make fun of PU fans. Fans here can say they will never go to a final four. But the truth is they were darn close In 2019 and we haven’t done a thing to show that our program is anything more than a shadow of what it used to be.

Reactions: vegasboy7 and Viguy
Do we know that the reason was how he would be utilized? I haven’t seen it mentioned, but perhaps it was about his opinion of which team had the better chance of success? As an IU fan I abhor Pu, WL, even their colors. And I love IU and Bloomington.

But......

Look at it from his POV. During his HS career he has seen a PU program that has been fairly consistent at:

Competing for a conference title
Going to the sweet 16 (2017, 2018, 2019)
Sweeping IU

I can point to the banners all I want and make fun of PU fans. Fans here can say they will never go to a final four. But the truth is they were darn close In 2019 and we haven’t done a thing to show that our program is anything more than a shadow of what it used to be.
It was one of his main comments in his video. IU recruited him in a TJD role. He specifically said his game is transitioning more to a 3/ wing type player.

Reactions: .Gerdis
It was one of his main comments in his video. IU recruited him in a TJD role. He specifically said his game is transitioning more to a 3/ wing type player.

Ah, didn’t watch the video. (Didn’t see how it would make me feel any less disappointed), thx

Big loss. IU has the best player in the 21 class tho. He just happens to be on campus a year early...

A team that has beaten IU with toughness and team play will now have better talent too.

This is bad news for Miller and the Hoosiers. A very big blow against Miller, in my opinion to miss on both Furst and Kaufman.
Sadly, you’re right on the mark here. Knight lost one Indiana kid he wanted to Purdue in 29 years . . . Miller just lost two in one class. Of greater concern is the obvious disconnect between our coaches and Kaufman during the recruiting process. It’s clear we couldn’t articulate a plan for TK that made sense to him, while Painter did. Better hope that’s not a trend.

I think it’s playing time. He probably heard enough about Race Thompson’s summer to know he would be third in line at the 4.
I don’t think a top 40 recruit is worried about a player entering his 4th year in college who’s averaged 3ppg for his career. You aren’t the first poster here I’ve seen talk about Race breaking out this year though. Think a couple even thought he had pro potential. I think he’s a good player to come off the bench but don’t understand where this hype coming from?

not trying to start anything. Honestly curious what he’s done over the summer.

Step off the ledge.... worst recruiting loss since Montross? C'mon. Im not trying to discredit TK or downplay that losing him to Purdue is kind of a gut punch. But when the realization it was a 2 horse race between iu n purdue came into play both sides have elevated him to another tier. And who the hell has already decided Furst is better than Duncomb... he might be... he might not be.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Ok Kaufman goes to PU , so you move on. It’s not the end of the world just because an 18 year old kid chose to go to PU instead of IU. I’m disappointed, but I’m not going to loose sleep over it. I’m sure IU will fill the scholly with someone really good.

Reactions: 76-1 and Al Bino
We have to start winning, bottom line. This year would be a good time to surprise. Anyway winning will equal great recruiting success at a program like ours with our advantages.

Kauffman is a big loss that stings. 100%. Purdue has pulled in a great class. I don't like it but hopefully it's a one time thing and he doesn't stack classes.

Regardless the college world has changed a lot.

1. Everyone currently gets a free year if they want it. So Hunter, Race, Geronimo and the freshman can play a Jess Settles year while this Purdue class won't. So back to the stacking classes thing.

2. There is basically free agent transfers after this season and going forward. Instead of a grad transfer market there will be a massive transfer market. Maybe we'll get Brooks as an upperclassmen after all? Of course this works both ways, maybe we'll see mass transfers but optimistically that's a change that helps offset the loss of a huge recruit.

Regardless of everything, the time to start winning is now.

Lot's of doomsday....I've seen both multiple times Furst and Kaufman...Both really good.
But I'd like to think Duncomb will negate one of them..And let's see what else happens yet..

Reactions: 76-1
Kaufman is a big loss that can be dwarfed if we can pull in Mason Miller. We're in his top 2 and he brings a trait that we desperately need, shooting.

People need to stop acting like Kaufman was a program changing recruit. He's good, but he's not a LeBron type talent. If he was, he'd be headed to the G-league..

Reactions: Army88 and 76-1
Lot's of doomsday....I've seen both multiple times Furst and Kaufman...Both really good.
But I'd like to think Duncomb will negate one of them..And let's see what else happens yet..

Some of this "doomesday" is actually celebration in disguise. The dust will settle and hopefully the mods will clean the nonsense up.

We have to start winning, bottom line. This year would be a good time to surprise. Anyway winning will equal great recruiting success at a program like ours with our advantages.

Kauffman is a big loss that stings. 100%. Purdue has pulled in a great class. I don't like it but hopefully it's a one time thing and he doesn't stack classes.

Regardless the college world has changed a lot.

1. Everyone currently gets a free year if they want it. So Hunter, Race, Geronimo and the freshman can play a Jess Settles year while this Purdue class won't. So back to the stacking classes thing.

2. There is basically free agent transfers after this season and going forward. Instead of a grad transfer market there will be a massive transfer market. Maybe we'll get Brooks as an upperclassmen after all? Of course this works both ways, maybe we'll see mass transfers but optimistically that's a change that helps offset the loss of a huge recruit.

Regardless of everything, the time to start winning is now.
Brooks is at UK

Get over it. His nuts are hurting.

Which is the one player from Indiana who Bob Knight lost to Purdue? Curious mind wants to know...
Doubt most people know who it is, and it turned out to not hurt him. Any guesses? Any IU grad will get it easily. But google is getting a workout right now!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT