ADVERTISEMENT

Big loss

LOL, sorry we have seen your posts. Love your obsession with me on GBI...I am so flattered.
I don’t think I have posted anything about you on GBI for almost a year, maybe longer. I try to stay away from personal attacks, although some of your posts are pretty far out there and draw some fire from More than a few GBI posters.

I don’t think I have posted anything about you on GBI for almost a year, maybe longer. I try to stay away from personal attacks, although some of your posts are pretty far out there and draw some fire from More than a few GBI posters.

I haven't posted over there in at least five years but do check in on occasion. Just did after the TK decision and yes, I am still quite the lightning rod. That is always interesting. I have stalkers here as well. Comes with the territory.

My last two comments to you were unnecessary and I apologize for that. The trolls that came here trashing threads...and the election had me a bit edgy. when I was online. i just hate to see this place go down the same cesspool path it did last season when I and many others that wanted to talk hoops reasonably gave up.

Honestly, your posts over the years have been more objective than the average PU bear.

Go in peace and may the Rona avoid you and yours.

I haven't posted over there in at least five years but do check in on occasion. Just did after the TK decision and yes, I am still quite the lightning rod. That is always interesting. I have stalkers here as well. Comes with the territory.

My last two comments to you were unnecessary and I apologize for that. The trolls that came here trashing threads...and the election had me a bit edgy. when I was online. i just hate to see this place go down the same cesspool path it did last season when I and many others that wanted to talk hoops reasonably gave up.

Honestly, your posts over the years have been more objective than the average PU bear.

Go in peace and may the Rona avoid you and yours.
I know what you mean about edgy posts. The election, and politics in general have set my teeth on edge. Everyone seems to be lying or exaggerating. I can hardly stand to watch the news these days. Anyway, stay safe, and may the only 'rona that gets near you be a Mexican beer!

would have been interesting to see how RMK could work Troy Lewis into a lineup that already had Alford (who was a year older), and Steve already owned the starting 2-guard spot on the team (regardless of RMK's constant threats to bench him). Both were awesome shooters off screens. Delray was a really nice kid but that was a big swing and miss by RMK.
Why did Delray not work out?

Why did Delray not work out?
He wasn’t nearly as skilled as he needed to be at the Big 10 level. It was apparent to all early on. Great kid, though, and he went on to have some nice success at Providence.

He wasn’t nearly as skilled as he needed to be at the Big 10 level. It was apparent to all early on. Great kid, though, and he went on to have some nice success at Providence.
How did he become Indiana Mr Basketball?

How did he become Indiana Mr Basketball?
Really good in the open court, tough at the rim, an often spectacular finisher, a model citizen and good student. And he was a young phenom, so he got publicity early in his high school career. He shared Mr. BB with Troy Lewis and wasn’t nearly as good of a player. It became almost painfully obvious early that he wasn’t ready for prime time. By the way, Knight loved him as a person.

Really good in the open court, tough at the rim, an often spectacular finisher, a model citizen and good student. And he was a young phenom, so he got publicity early in his high school career. He shared Mr. BB with Troy Lewis and wasn’t nearly as good of a player. It became almost painfully obvious early that he wasn’t ready for prime time. By the way, Knight loved him as a person.
Was Troy Lewis not a good person or did BK just miss on that one?

Was Troy Lewis not a good person or did BK just miss on that one?
Very good person. Knight‘s failure with DB was that he didn’t personally evaluate him as much as a player as he did a person. DB was definitely more athletic, but TL was the better player, by far. Lewis was also a great kid, but his was much more of a perimeter game, and that wasn’t nearly the need at that time. TL could’ve excelled anywhere, though I’m not sure he would’ve thrived under Knight like he did under Keady.

Very good person. Knight‘s failure with DB was that he didn’t personally evaluate him as much as a player as he did a person. DB was definitely more athletic, but TL was the better player, by far. Lewis was also a great kid, but his was much more of a perimeter game, and that wasn’t nearly the need at that time. TL could’ve excelled anywhere, though I’m not sure he would’ve thrived under Knight like he did under Keady.

Interesting thoughts. ‘87 worked out ok in my book😉

It did, but if you look at what propelled that season, it was the dynamic play of a couple of juco imports, combined with several others who had been in the program for multiple years, that pushed us to the top. I know DB moved on to PC and had a nice career there, but he would’ve continued to struggle at IU unless his game changed dramatically. As for TL, hard to quarrel with his success at Purdue, and he would’ve help any team he played on.

Reactions: .Gerdis
It did, but if you look at what propelled that season, it was the dynamic play of a couple of juco imports, combined with several others who had been in the program for multiple years, that pushed us to the top. I know DB moved on to PC and had a nice career there, but he would’ve continued to struggle at IU unless his game changed dramatically. As for TL, hard to quarrel with his success at Purdue, and he would’ve help any team he played on.

No doubt.

Certainly teams are also molded by many intangibles, and I always find them interesting. This is especially true with RMK teams. Would things have been different if Thomas didn’t go through everything he did (playing undersized and out of position, and having to bear some “criticism “)? How do things change if we don’t lose to Cleveland state. Etc., etc.

That team was tough.

IIRC, that year we lost to the Boilers by 11 in Mackey, and beat them by 11 at home. GK had a darn good team that year.

But, ours was a Championship one!

No doubt.

Certainly teams are also molded by many intangibles, and I always find them interesting. This is especially true with RMK teams. Would things have been different if Thomas didn’t go through everything he did (playing undersized and out of position, and having to bear some “criticism “)? How do things change if we don’t lose to Cleveland state. Etc., etc.

That team was tough.

IIRC, that year we lost to the Boilers by 11 in Mackey, and beat them by 11 at home. GK had a darn good team that year.

But, ours was a Championship one!
I believe the news regarding Dean started to slip out around tournament time (maybe for both DG and Keith), and it was shocking. Knight and IU fans had always viewed jucos as a crutch, something that less worthy programs had to do in a fruitless effort to elevate their standing. It was beneath programs like IU to shop with coupons at the bargain store. The loss to Cleveland State was the icing on the cake, but we’d already gone down in similar fashion a couple of years earlier to UAB (at Vandy), and our lack of athleticism was glaring. That BK saw it before CS took us apart showed how good he was, but meshing all of that together so quickly was evidence of his coaching brilliance.

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
Kaufman is a (potential) big loss that can be dwarfed if we can pull in Mason Miller. We're in his top 2 and he brings a trait that we desperately need, shooting.
I haven’t seen him in person, but it seems Miller is already a stretch 3-4, not a “wanna-be” stretch. But we still need to sign him.
if it turns out Miller was waiting to see where coughman went and now is clear to pick IU, I’ll be glad it happened.

That was one of the toughest minded teams I've seen at IU. I made a stupid bet about 10 games into the season that IU would win the national championship because they had an obvious will to win and enough talent to make it happen. IU against the field for $50. Obviously I won the bet, but it was still a stupid bet. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT