ADVERTISEMENT

Big loss

Anyone saying Kaufman to Purdue isn’t a huge loss...well they’re wrong.

1. He quite obviously filled a huge need on our roster. If what some have said is true, that we likened his future role to TJDs, that’s crazy dumb. Juwan Morgan is a more recent example they could have used, much more well rounded role, who was/is much more successful than any recent PU wing/big. Heck, just portraying how he’d be a better version of Justin Smith should have been impactful. TJD is nothing like Kaufman.

2. Losing a southern Indiana kid to Purdue ain’t good.

3. It wasn’t just Kaufman we lost out to them on. It was Kaufman and Furst. The two best wing/bigs in the state.

Wish him well. Purdue is a solid program. And they’ll be more than solid now probably. Getting Mohammed and Miller certainly would soften this blow. But for a bunch of reasons, I’d take Kaufman over getting both those guys. So this stings.

Not the end of the world. But not good.

I blame Crean.

Reactions: Deli owl
Doubt most people know who it is, and it turned out to not hurt him. Any guesses? Any IU grad will get it easily. But google is getting a workout right now!
Was it Jerry Sichting by chance? Or Kyle Macy?

Last edited:

I don't have a good memory for such things, but I find that hard to believe. I seem to remember that we recruited both Kyle Macy and Glenn Robinson to some degree and I'm sure there were kids that we inquired about that didn't like IU or want to play for RMK. Hard to imagine we didn't try and recruit Troy Lewis for instance.

Neither Sichting or Macy were offered (BK acknowledged he should’ve found a place for both of them) and, while GR’s talent was obvious, his academic situation precluded an offer because there was no hope of getting him admitted. IU had Delray Brooks, whom Knight believed was the best player in the state, so Troy was never really pursued and definitely wasn’t offered. Pity, as he was a stud.

It was Peru, Indiana center John Garrett.

Neither Sichting or Macy were offered (BK acknowledged he should’ve found a place for both of them) and, while GR’s talent was obvious, his academic situation precluded an offer because there was no hope of getting him admitted. IU had Delray Brooks, whom Knight believed was the best player in the state, so Troy was never really pursued and definitely wasn’t offered. Pity, as he was a stud.

It was Peru, Indiana center John Garrett.
would have been interesting to see how RMK could work Troy Lewis into a lineup that already had Alford (who was a year older), and Steve already owned the starting 2-guard spot on the team (regardless of RMK's constant threats to bench him). Both were awesome shooters off screens. Delray was a really nice kid but that was a big swing and miss by RMK.

I, sadly, agree with you. From a basketball perspective we just didn't need yet another wing player. I think Trey saw that as much as the rest of us, and clearly, wanted to play on the wing. I think this recruiting "loss" is a bigger loss symbolically than it is a basketball loss. Nevertheless, the "inside-out" approach is falling apart: we're clearly back to not getting the best players in the state (Brooks, Furst, Kaufmann)

This was a huge loss.

The ROI on Miller, to this point, is negative.

3/5 on high-profile Indiana recruits, but 0 top 40 out-of-state recruits in 4 recruiting classes........Hunter, Duncomb & Geronimo our top out-of-state recruits....top 50-70 guys.

Duncomb & Miller, even IF he comes, won't cut it up front. Duncomb is a gamer but adds no rim protection. Miller is a rail-thin 3 point shooter.

Add in 3 lousy seasons on the court.....not good.

1. He quite obviously filled a huge need on our roster. If what some have said is true, that we likened his future role to TJDs, that’s crazy dumb. Juwan Morgan is a more recent example they could have used, much more well rounded role, who was/is much more successful than any recent PU wing/big. Heck, just portraying how he’d be a better version of Justin Smith should have been impactful. TJD is nothing like Kaufman.

3. It wasn’t just Kaufman we lost out to them on. It was Kaufman and Furst. The two best wing/bigs in the state.

Wish him well. Purdue is a solid program. And they’ll be more than solid now probably. Getting Mohammed and Miller certainly would soften this blow. But for a bunch of reasons, I’d take Kaufman over getting both those guys. So this stings.

Losing him is big only if we don’t get both Aminu Mohammed and Miller. We get both and Brunk returns next year we should have adequate talented depth up front. Also, talented transfers should be in great supply. But the real wild card would be if TJD stays another year. It’s not out of the question if he’s not projected to be a top 15 pick.
Free wheeling here, but does anybody else think that Archie recruiting is being hurt by Sean Miller’s problems? I know he’s not his brothers keeper, but . . .

would have been interesting to see how RMK could work Troy Lewis into a lineup that already had Alford (who was a year older), and Steve already owned the starting 2-guard spot on the team (regardless of RMK's constant threats to bench him). Both were awesome shooters off screens. Delray was a really nice kid but that was a big swing and miss by RMK.
I think that’s one of the reasons he didn’t pursue TL. I remember being in Mackey when we played up there DB and TL’s freshmen year, and the difference in skill level between them was obvious. Lewis had unlimited range, was smart, played hard. DB was fundamentally unsound and wasn’t ready to play in the Big 10. I know Stew and Winston Morgan thought BK made a huge mistake on that one, but I’m not sure TL would’ve thrived under him the way he did under Keady.

I think that’s one of the reasons he didn’t pursue TL. I remember being in Mackey when we played up there DB and TL’s freshmen year, and the difference in skill level between them was obvious. Lewis had unlimited range, was smart, played hard. DB was fundamentally unsound and wasn’t ready to play in the Big 10. I know Stew and Winston Morgan thought BK made a huge mistake on that one, but I’m not sure TL would’ve thrived under him the way he did under Keady.
agreed...TL was a perfect fit for Keady's program at the time. Lewis was also a real good person. Very humble, hard working, not a showboat. I think he played for AIA for a while after college. Clutch shooter. Had to respect what he did during his 4 yrs.

I never saw Delray play in HS but heard he scored a lot in the paint and really struggled with the transition to a perimeter player when he arrived at IU. Also remember hearing he was the first recruit RMK didn't actually see play in HS...RMK was going off of what his recruiters (Joby? can't remember that far back )were feeding him. Before his frosh yr was over, it was obvious that both Delray and RMK had made a mistake. (and that frosh yr- 84-85- was a tough one for the entire program).

agreed...TL was a perfect fit for Keady's program at the time. Lewis was also a real good person. Very humble, hard working, not a showboat. I think he played for AIA for a while after college. Clutch shooter. Had to respect what he did during his 4 yrs.

I never saw Delray play in HS but heard he scored a lot in the paint and really struggled with the transition to a perimeter player when he arrived at IU. Also remember hearing he was the first recruit RMK didn't actually see play in HS...RMK was going off of what his recruiters (Joby? can't remember that far back )were feeding him. Before his frosh yr was over, it was obvious that both Delray and RMK had made a mistake. (and that frosh yr- 84-85- was a tough one for the entire program).
Well, in fairness, there weren't nearly the resources back then, and if I remember correctly, and I think I am, Delray was also the Gatorade National HS player of the year that year. A virtual "can't miss" who everyone recruited. You'd have had a lot more explaning to do if you didn't recruit Delray back then, than if you did. That was a big win for IU. Far bigger than TK would've been. Doesn't make it right, and argues for following your procedures and protocols, but everyone wanted Delray Brooks.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Well, in fairness, there weren't nearly the resources back then, and if I remember correctly, and I think I am, Delray was also the Gatorade National HS player of the year that year. A virtual "can't miss" who everyone recruited. You'd have had a lot more explaning to do if you didn't recruit Delray back then, than if you did. That was a big win for IU. Far bigger than TK would've been. Doesn't make it right, and argues for following your procedures and protocols, but everyone wanted Delray Brooks.
I don’t think that was a resource issue, but rather just one of effective scouting. We just didn’t watch enough of him before we offered, and it was a sign of Knight’s increasing indifference with recruiting. When DB got to school and those guys played at both the Hper and AH, word leaked out quickly that he wasn’t as good as advertised. He lived and played a three hour drive from Bloomington. They just scouted poorly.

Losing him is big only if we don’t get both Aminu Mohammed and Miller. We get both and Brunk returns next year we should have adequate talented depth up front. Also, talented transfers should be in great supply. But the real wild card would be if TJD stays another year. It’s not out of the question if he’s not projected to be a top 15 pick.
Free wheeling here, but does anybody else think that Archie recruiting is being hurt by Sean Miller’s problems? I know he’s not his brothers keeper, but . . .
I don’t think Kaufman is worried about any front court player on IU’s roster, especially Brunk... (doing this to a 22 year old as a 17 year old)

I don’t think Kaufman is worried about any front court player on IU’s roster, especially Brunk... (doing this to a 22 year old as a 17 year old)

You weren't here before TKs decision date was announced and it looks like your username was created for that purpose. He didn't say anything about TK being passed over by Brunk or fearful of losing PT to him, only that if Brunk returned it might help mitigate the loss. If you're going to troll, at least do it better.

Well, I guess it depends on your perspective, but losing a top IN recruit, especially from Southern IN, could have recruiting ramifications beyond this year, especially if we don't get Miller and Mohammed. I personally want to see us dominate IN recruiting and we had, up until this year. Losing Furst could be understood and forgiven if we got Kaufman, so yes, I think losing him is big regardless of what happens with other recruits.

He laid out his decision pretty clearly. But I don’t think his mention of playing time as one of his four major deciding factors...means what people typically take it to mean, which is just how much time do they get on the court. Rather, I think he was pretty clear that it was where and how he would be utilized with those minutes that mattered most. He’s a top 40, 6’9” kid with plus interior and exterior skills. He was gonna play a lot at all of his finalists. But at IU, I’m sure his fear of being relied upon to shoulder a lot of interior duties, didn’t sit too well. And that concern would only have been amplified if IU used TJD as their main comp. TJD still isn’t a sure fire NBA first rounder despite likely being an All Big Ten guy, and potential All American.

I’m sure TK knows all he has to show in college, to accelerate and maximize his NBA draft stock...is the ability to guard and score from the perimeter at his size. With Furst and Williams anchoring the post, PU won’t likely ever need him down there.

So no, he wasn’t worried about playing time against Joey, TJD, Race, and/or Logan. Opposite really, he was worried he’d be forced to play down low.

Yeah, he played for Painter. Any of his bigs are game I guess. But I wouldn’t think he’s a great TK comp.

Edwards is way too perimeter oriented. But maybe that is where Kaufman sees himself?

TJD is much, much, too limited to interior successes at IU to have used him as the comp for Kaufman. Heck, it could even go against Archie if people see TJD as someone that didn’t develop much of any perimeter game during year 1.

Juwan Morgan flourished under Archie as a true stretch 4. He played with his back for the basket. He played outside. Depended on the matchup. And now he’s playing in the NBA. I’m just going to assume Archie made that connection and it just didn’t stick for TK.

Purdue doesn’t really have a recent good comp. but obviously painter did a better job of convincing TK they’d help get him where he wanted to go. Despite not really having much of a track record of doing that?

Robbie Hummel

He laid out his decision pretty clearly. But I don’t think his mention of playing time as one of his four major deciding factors...means what people typically take it to mean, which is just how much time do they get on the court. Rather, I think he was pretty clear that it was where and how he would be utilized with those minutes that mattered most. He’s a top 40, 6’9” kid with plus interior and exterior skills. He was gonna play a lot at all of his finalists. But at IU, I’m sure his fear of being relied upon to shoulder a lot of interior duties, didn’t sit too well. And that concern would only have been amplified if IU used TJD as their main comp. TJD still isn’t a sure fire NBA first rounder despite likely being an All Big Ten guy, and potential All American.

I’m sure TK knows all he has to show in college, to accelerate and maximize his NBA draft stock...is the ability to guard and score from the perimeter at his size. With Furst and Williams anchoring the post, PU won’t likely ever need him down there.

So no, he wasn’t worried about playing time against Joey, TJD, Race, and/or Logan. Opposite really, he was worried he’d be forced to play down low.

Archie permits guards to run the game. Hell, against Purdue last year at home TJD was unstoppable and no one would give him the ball. We could have won that game.

I didn't watch his video but this really shouldn't have been too hard to figure out. I think everyone recognizes the path to the NBA for him is showing perimeter skills. Our coaching staff knows that and I'm confident they tried to address it. I'm also confident, that most people aren't going to divulge very much about their internal decision making and I think at best, Trey is relating an abbreviated version that isn't the full story. I think he just liked MP better and felt better about the situation for him at PU. If I were the IU staff, I'd be saying we are going to find frontcourt players/bring Brunk back, etc.... and it's also possible that as you said, TJD comes back, or Williams leaves for PU after this year. I think he's really good and would have pro potential if he just gets better conditioned. I really think it came down to him liking MP better and he just doesn't want to say that to project CAM. Most recruiting decisions are based on the prospects opinion and relationship with the HC, so I don't think there's anything to be gained by making assumptions on here about internal conversations our staff had with TK.

I‘m paraphrasing, but Kaufman was quoted as saying IU kept showing him how they used TJD which, in his mind, was perplexing, since he didn’t see them as being the same kind of player. You would think Miller and Ostrum wouldn’t have been that tone deaf, but it clearly made an impression (rather negative) on Kaufman, likely influencing him away from IU.

I‘m paraphrasing, but Kaufman was quoted as saying IU kept showing him how they used TJD which, in his mind, was perplexing, since he didn’t see them as being the same kind of player. You would think Miller and Ostrum wouldn’t have been that tone deaf, but it clearly made an impression (rather negative) on Kaufman, likely influencing him away from IU.

To make matters worse, Michigan just got the #8 rated recruit in the country for 2021 (247)....now have one of the top 3 recruiting classes for '21.

Sichting was recruited by Knight and wanted to be a Hoosier but he ultimately did not offer. Knight told him to go to KY...he didn't. It was before I got to IU but i recall how pissed my Dad was while he was at PU because he would have fit in well as a Hoosier.

AM recruited him the way they needed him. He was honest about his role as a Hoosier, Not saying painter wasn't, the teams just have different needs and wants. The better fit in his opinion at this moment was PU. That may work out just fine for him or he may regret it. It is a risk as he gives up a lot when he passes on that jersey and lifetime connection as a Hoosier Hero.

I hope he stays healthy and enjoys his time on that team.

I predict Archie will coach this season and next. Gone after that. I dont see this years IU team being strong enough to secure Archie‘s job.

If and when anyone values or respects the opinion of a Purdue fan with regards to hoops we will let you know.

If and when anyone values or respects the opinion of a Purdue fan with regards to hoops we will let you know.
Thanks! Very nice of you. Do understand that all Indiana (state) teams are teams I cheer for. I just cheer for some more than others.

in a couple years we can revisit my prediction. I am more than willing to eat crow if I am wrong.

Thanks! Very nice of you. Do understand that all Indiana (state) teams are teams I cheer for. I just cheer for some more than others.

in a couple years we can revisit my prediction. I am more than willing to eat crow if I am wrong.
You’re being trolled. The non-IU grads can’t help themselves. No sense at all. Rent free. Forever and ever. Love it when I expose non-IU grads. Gonna fire up the coach. That’s rent free, too!

LOL, sorry we have seen your posts. Love your obsession with me on GBI...I am so flattered.

I predict Archie will coach this season and next. Gone after that. I dont see this years IU team being strong enough to secure Archie‘s job.
Agreed. The lowered expectations of IU fans will permit another couple of years for Miller. Hopefully, a Trustee won’t have to intervene with Dolson and do what rent Glass wouldn’t, as is well free known by all IU grads. Cruelly rent free. But so easy.

Last edited:

I totally agree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT