ADVERTISEMENT

Big lead disappearing

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
Not certain of the root cause of this recurring issue. Is it commonplace throughout NCAA ball? A product of the shot clock, 3 pt shooting? Poor sub patterns by CAM at the wrong time? (there was a point or two last night, after a mass substitution, when I looked at the lineup and questioned where the shots/points were going to come from). Maybe the missed FTs make this even worse...we should have won easily by 10+ last night if we shoot free throws.

It's reached a point that when the team rushes out to a big first half lead, I already know the comeback is on its way.

btw I woke up this morning and heard there is a Sparty player still standing over in the left corner, behind the 3pt line, not being covered.....I love Al and he hit 2 big shots last night, but he got sucked into the lane a few times and left him man alone on the wing, and each time, another 3 pts on the board.

We're actually having a good season considering we cant hit 3s or make FTs very well.

Last edited:
I know we weren’t perfect (never are) but we did play 4 points better than MSU.

Not certain of the root cause of this recurring issue. Is it commonplace throughout NCAA ball? A product of the shot clock, 3 pt shooting? Poor sub patterns by CAM at the wrong time? (there was a point or two last night, after a mass substitution, when I looked at the lineup and questioned where the shots/points were going to come from). Maybe the missed FTs make this even worse...we should have won easily by 10+ last night if we shoot free throws.

It's reached a point that when the team rushes out to a big first half lead, I already know the comeback is on its way.

btw I woke up this morning and heard there is a Sparty player still standing over in the left corner, behind the 3pt line, not being covered.....I love Al and he hit 2 big shots last night, but he got sucked into the lane a few times and left him man alone on the wing, and each time, another 3 pts on the board.

We're actually having a good season considering we cant hit 3s or make FTs very well.

One of those times that Al left his man alone for the three I remember fairly well. MSU's player at the top of the key went around his defender and was driving towards the basket. Al was positioned well. But he had a split-second to decide. Should he leave his man unguarded and check the guy with the ball that had no other defenders to worry about? So Al checked the guy with the basketball that was going for what looked like a guaranteed 2.

Ball was passed out to Al's assignment for a three...

What was Al's choice? Who made the mistake?

I think Al had two bad options. And he chose to stop the guaranteed score....

Not Al's fault...he did what he could.

I said the same thing early in the game when we had 4 subs and Smith in the game. They maintained the lead through that period and stretched it to 14 for a few possessions.

I thought last night was a case of a lot of adrenaline and a very aggressive start followed by fatigue. We dug deep and continued to play hard. Our scoring slumps seem to happen after we sub and continues as our starters begin their second stint in the game. They come back in less aggressive not as cohesive as they started. They eventually correct themselves and play better. We are learning to continue playing D when the shots aren't falling.

If you've noticed, Durham is slow to find shooters and not good on keeping people in front of him. I really like Franklin better on defense. Franklin has improved to a point that I wouldn't mind him starting. Another coach went on a big conference run when he benched more experienced guards and went forward with two freshmen guards named Edwards and Jones.

I think you hit it on the shot clock. Let's say IU had a 15 pt lead and there was no shot clock. They could work for a good shot and take major chunks of time off the clock. The game would be shortened and the other team would have less of a chance to get back.

Reactions: 82IU
Although the fast start and nice lead did not hold up, it really got the crowd into the game and set a great tone from the start.

The comeback is always inevitable because this team is not full of consistent individuals. There are only 4 guards in the rotation and none of them could be considered consistent, except maybe Phin on defense but that is still not a slam dunk. Archie had to make some subs 6/7 minutes into the game despite the hot start. You gotta get some legs rested. And in that situation the subs held steady, but as we know it's now always the case. If this team can get steady and consistent production from the 4 guards then this season has some real potential.

I think a lot of our poor 3 point defense is a result of the guys up top allowing guards to turn the corner and drive the lane. Sometimes it appears we give up layups uncontested but I think it's a result of the defender in the lane having to make a decision as you pointed out. I've never been a fan of hedging up top but I realize sometimes you are forced into it.

I think you hit it on the shot clock. Let's say IU had a 15 pt lead and there was no shot clock. They could work for a good shot and take major chunks of time off the clock. The game would be shortened and the other team would have less of a chance to get back.
Or they would have more turnovers, because taking care of the ball, is always not one or their strengths.

One of those times that Al left his man alone for the three I remember fairly well. MSU's player at the top of the key went around his defender and was driving towards the basket. Al was positioned well. But he had a split-second to decide. Should he leave his man unguarded and check the guy with the ball that had no other defenders to worry about? So Al checked the guy with the basketball that was going for what looked like a guaranteed 2.

I don't recall the play you are describing, but my view is you always have to stop the ball, and make them make a play/pass with it. That forces them to have to complete the pass, and make a longer shot. If you give up the drive, they only have to make the shot. The caveat is, that's if you're the only one back. If you have help, then you have a decision to make, and in that case I'd generally opt to cover my man. Talk, talk, talk!

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I feel like a broken record.... but if you actually watch those plays develop it's entirely because Brunk was hedging way too far out on the Winston ball screens. It left a wide open lane for the screener..... which forced help in the lane, leaving the open shooter in the corner.

It was a scheme decision to not allow Winston to turn the corner and drive.... but rather force the ball into other player's hands. You can't put that on Durham, Green or anyone else. I think the root cause of those open looks was actually Brunk over hedging/ helping at the top of the key.

went back and watched a little more of the game- yes Al really was stuck there, and give MSU credit, they started knocking them down.

There are a few things in basketball that lead to consistency and getting fouled and hitting your FTs are important. When the opponent gets hot and hits three 3s in a row and your team is struggling on offense, the easy play is to work the ball inside and force contact. A 12-0 run turns into a 12-6 change in the score which is much easier to manage.

Reactions: kkott
there's more to it than that. We got down 15 to Wisky and you knew the game was over. We were up 14 last night and MSU made that lead disappear in 3 minutes. Some teams have the ability to fight off the 'run' by their style of play. We do not.

I don't think it's style of play, it's attitude. We still don't have that killer mentality and sleep walk thru possessions and sections of games. Everyone goes on cold streaks, but if you play smart, minimize TOs and mfr points off D and FTs, the valleys aren't nearly so deep. When we get in trouble is not doing a combination of those things: get away from our gameplan, commit a few careless TO's and take bad shots and/or miss FTs. The good news is we're improving, and winning games before we have this mastered. And while we may never be a great FT shooting team, there's no reason for us to be hovering in the 50% range.

Hot start and up 7 at halftime against a top ten team is no concern. Then winning the game by 4 is not a big lead disappearing. Did you expect the best team in the league to not make that run in the 1st half? Of course, hitting FT’s would’ve given IU a bigger win. FT shooting is a problem, especially when the team is good at drawing fouls and getting a lot of them.

When this team has even an average shooting night I like our chances. When they shoot well I am really confident. It comes down to shooting IMO. They play the rest of the game pretty well - ask MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT