ADVERTISEMENT

Big Job this fall

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
Coach Mercer and his staff have a big job ahead this fall. By my count there are potentially 47 kids who will be vying for 35 2019 roster slots. That number is made up of all 26 returnees with eligibility from last year’s roster, 6 kids the IU baseball website listed for summer ball who were not on last year’s roster, and +/- 15 new kids.

FWIW Brayden Tucker RHP from Brazil was a 2018 signee and is included in the “new kids”.

That’s a lot of folks to evaluate and and at the same time install some new/different approaches getting ready for ‘19. The good news IMO there is good talent among the returning position players. Once again pitching is key and the good news/bad news is there are almost half of the total kids for this fall who pitch. Will be interested to see how Matt Litwicki has recovered from TJ surgery, he was highly regarded comming out of HS.

Having seen exactly none of the ‘19 verbals who could sign this fall I don’t have an opinion on the decommits. I don’t know that we need a big class but there will be some opportunities to compete to replace keys like Fineman, Gorski, Kaletha, Lloyd, & Milto when they leave, hopefully after a second trip to Omaha next Spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT