ADVERTISEMENT

Big Donors

You’re obviously not an alumnus, so please stop with that. And I didn’t say I wanted him, only that he’d never take a call from a program like IU that doesn‘t aspire to be elite (we don’t).
Aspire to be elite - please expand? Other than making wrong hiring decisions, in hindsight, what does the University/administration need to do to be aspirational?

A couple of points. We know two sisters that played basketball at IU in the 70's. One sister is close with the athletic program and a recent past president of the I Association and the other lives out of state and has season tickets so she can come to a few games per year. The latter is a big enough donor that she is included in a conference call with the AD. I understand the call updates the donors on upgrades and progress of the programs.

Besides money, these donors contribute their opinions on the state of the department. I'm told the discussions are civil, but the types of questions clearly identify what these people are concerned about. What concerns the donors also concerns the athletic department.

I have heard McRobbie leaving this year makes removing Archie more likely. It is understood that McRobbie doesn't want to leave any program in a position that the new president will have to correct.. Dealing with a program where the fanbase will boo their coach and players next year isn't a position a new president wants to be in. The new president won't have any allegiance to Archie or any coach. All they will think is the ugliness was clearly evident in the prior year and preventable .reasonable minds will come to the conclusion that a change is inevitable and more damage will come from waiting another year.

That is one possible solution.

Would a major impact coaching candidate commit himself to a university that doesn't even have a president; and has a fairly new AD? I'm wondering if IU is screwed because the situation would be a pig in a poke for experienced coaches, unwilling to gamble on that?

Would a major impact coaching candidate commit himself to a university that doesn't even have a president; and has a fairly new AD? I'm wondering if IU is screwed because the situation would be a pig in a poke for experienced coaches, unwilling to gamble on that?

It doesn't help.

I have heard McRobbie leaving this year makes removing Archie more likely. It is understood that McRobbie doesn't want to leave any program in a position that the new president will have to correct.. Dealing with a program where the fanbase will boo their coach and players next year isn't a position a new president wants to be in.
This makes perfect sense and tracks with my thinking that the Presidential transition should have no bearing on the decision to replace Miller or not. The incoming President will have his hands full with getting things back up to speed after Covid and all the decisions and financial considerations involved. The last thing he needs to be involved with is a coaching controversy. Best for the new President to have that dealt with before he takes the reins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT