ADVERTISEMENT

Big can abolish divisions if wanted

Will the B1G change so quickly despite being able to make the change with the rule no longer in play.

I guess we will get to see osu and um play back to back weeks a lot more often now.
UM has never been the clear #2 program in the B1G IMO, they've had higher peaks then everyone not named OSU over the last decade, but there have been several years where Wisco, PSU, and MSU have given UM trouble. Very much like Wisco in the terrible B1G West, you expect them to dominate every year but in reality they find ways to stumble and have only won the division 50% of the time, despite being pretty definitively the best program in the West. Especially considering UM will presumably have OSU and MSU every year, assuming divisions go by the way side, PSU and MSU could end up with far easier routes to the B1G championship then UM.

If they do get rid of divisions, it'll be interesting to see who OSU plays every year. Obviously UM is a given, but would PSU agree to playing the Buckeyes every year when they could try and get MSU/UM, Maryland, and Rutgers, creating a much smoother path to the B1G championship. Whoever draws OSU will be at a huge disadvantage if they want to get to the B1G championship, but frankly anything is better than the current system. I hope Indiana tries to pick up a team like Illinois in addition to Purdon't, IMO those two have a strong history and are relatively equal programs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
UM has never been the clear #2 program in the B1G IMO, they've had higher peaks then everyone not named OSU over the last decade, but there have been several years where Wisco, PSU, and MSU have given UM trouble. Very much like Wisco in the terrible B1G West, you expect them to dominate every year but in reality they find ways to stumble and have only won the division 50% of the time, despite being pretty definitively the best program in the West. Especially considering UM will presumably have OSU and MSU every year, assuming divisions go by the way side, PSU and MSU could end up with far easier routes to the B1G championship then UM.

If they do get rid of divisions, it'll be interesting to see who OSU plays every year. Obviously UM is a given, but would PSU agree to playing the Buckeyes every year when they could try and get MSU/UM, Maryland, and Rutgers, creating a much smoother path to the B1G championship. Whoever draws OSU will be at a huge disadvantage if they want to get to the B1G championship, but frankly anything is better than the current system. I hope Indiana tries to pick up a team like Illinois in addition to Purdon't, IMO those two have a strong history and are relatively equal programs.
The reality of it is is that it's osu and everyone else. It's really not close. So really, divisions change who is 2nd-14th in the conference? I'm fine with whatever to be completely honest. I do think if you swap osu and Wisconsin, the west is probably better than the east, but again, it doesn't really matter because osu.

Would hope the following would be protected

IU- Purdue
OSU- Michigan
Michigan- OSU/MSU
Purdue- Illinois/NW
NW- Illinois
Illinois- Purdue/NW
MSU-PSU/Michigan
PSU-Maryland/MSU
Rutgers-Maryland
Maryland-Rutgers/PSU
Iowa- Wisky/Minny
Minny- Wisky/Iowa
Wisky-Iowa/Minny
Nebraska ?

Guess the only big game I haven’t mentioned is Michigan/Minny but only 1 team actually cares about that game, and it’s so 1 sided.

In the 8 years since the east/west divisions, OSU has been to the title game 5 times, and would have been 7 without divisions. And without divisions, it could have 14 teams from the current East division, and just 2 from the west (although there would have been a few tie breaks that could have put a few more west teams, but it’s not worth the effort to figure those out).

Fundamentally, this helps PSU/UM/MSU the most, followed by OSU, and absolutely kills the West

In the 8 years since the east/west divisions, OSU has been to the title game 5 times, and would have been 7 without divisions. And without divisions, it could have 14 teams from the current East division, and just 2 from the west (although there would have been a few tie breaks that could have put a few more west teams, but it’s not worth the effort to figure those out).

Fundamentally, this helps PSU/UM/MSU the most, followed by OSU, and absolutely kills the West
F--- em. Play better football.

C'mon BIG...do the right thing...the PAC 12 immediately scrapped their divisions. Announced it right after the NCAA did.
You have to remember we have Commissioner Alvarez….err…Commissioner Warren at the helm. They don’t want to see Wisconsin in a free-for-all conference. The West division gives them a better opportunity to get in a conference championship.

You have to remember we have Commissioner Alvarez….err…Commissioner Warren at the helm. They don’t want to see Wisconsin in a free-for-all conference. The West division gives them a better opportunity to get in a conference championship.
They could theoretically make their schedule even easier though. Sprinkle in some Rutgers and Maryland.

Neither the American Athletic Conference or Big 12 have divisions and both have conference championship games.

A couple of articles referencing the topic:

Last edited:
Need 2 more teams for pods.
I could live with our picking up any of these teams (once we let Rutgers and Maryland in any version even close to the old Big Ten was dead anyway)...:

Vanderbilt, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Syracuse, & Virginia.

Kansas, Iowa State, Vanderbilt & Virginia would be my picks but don't worry, Barry isn't going to call me ((or bother to read this))...

Agree. This decision won’t be made by Warren. Alvarez probably likes the West situation.

If there is anything more meaningless than the Big Ten basketball tournament I would vote for the Big Ten football championship game.

For years I've been preaching competitive quality games every Saturday afternoon. Other than the Covid season Indiana has never had nor ever will have a reasonable probability of making a conference Championship game. And by focusing all of the marketing of the seasons on going to the championship game all this has done is make marketing Indiana football in nightmare. I can't wait till they get rid of the championship game and the divisions.

If there is anything more meaningless than the Big Ten basketball tournament I would vote for the Big Ten football championship game.

For years I've been preaching competitive quality games every Saturday afternoon. Other than the Covid season Indiana has never had nor ever will have a reasonable probability of making a conference Championship game. And by focusing all of the marketing of the seasons on going to the championship game all this has done is make marketing Indiana football in nightmare. I can't wait till they get rid of the championship game and the divisions.
Or, IU could try a G5 conference that is more suited to its behavior in college athletics? The Big Ten has gotten too big for IU and Mayberry, IN. It’s time to move to a more suitable conference and even the playing field. Or, hang out with the big boys and become the punching bag for decades.

Reactions: Chriselli
Or, IU could try a G5 conference that is more suited to its behavior in college athletics? The Big Ten has gotten too big for IU and Mayberry, IN. It’s time to move to a more suitable conference and even the playing field. Or, hang out with the big boys and become the punching bag for decades.
I’ll give you a BILLION reasons why leaving the B1G will never happen.

I really like the 'show me' for the B1G. Even the town of Columbia has B1G feel. Maybe Iowa State for #16. Don't know about their academic status. They have a huge Ag. department very well thought of in that industry. Maryland and Rutgers? I understand media link to NYC. But? Duh! It'll never happen as Warren is a puppet but if there is going to be alignment posturing then make it realignment with purpose.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
B10,

OSU, UM, MSU, PU, IU, NW, ILL, Wisc, Iowa, Minn.

B12,

Texas, Neb, A&M, Baylor, OU, OSU, Col, Iowa St, KU, KSU, Mizzou, TT,

Big East,

Cuse, RU, Pitt, Lville, Cinn, WV, Miami, BC, UCF, U Conn, Temple,

ACC,

PSU, UMd, UNC, NC State, Duke, Clemson, UVa, Ga Tech, Wake, Vandy,

SEC,

Fla, FSU, UGa, Miss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn, Tenn, LSU, UK, S. Carolina

PAC,

AZ, ASU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU, Wash, WSU,

B10, you're welcome.

ACC, you're welcome.

SEC, you're welcome,

Big East, you're welcome,

B12, you're welcome.

PAC, you're welcome.

sanity is restored to the universe.

16 team fball D1 playoff.

Disney/ESPN and Fox C-Suites, ESAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonap and kmathum
B10,

OSU, UM, MSU, PU, IU, NW, ILL, Wisc, Iowa, Minn.

B12,

Texas, Neb, A&M, Baylor, OU, OSU, Col, Iowa St, KU, KSU, Mizzou, TT,

Big East,

Cuse, RU, Pitt, Lville, Cinn, WV, Miami, BC, UCF, U Conn, Temple,

ACC,

PSU, UMd, UNC, NC State, Duke, Clemson, UVa, Ga Tech, Wake, Vandy,

SEC,

Fla, FSU, UGa, Miss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn, Tenn, LSU, UK, S. Carolina

PAC,

AZ, ASU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU, Wash, WSU,

B10, you're welcome.

ACC, you're welcome.

SEC, you're welcome,

Big East, you're welcome,

B12, you're welcome.

PAC, you're welcome.

sanity is restored to the universe.

16 team fball D1 playoff.

Disney/ESPN and Fox C-Suites, ESAD.
Thank you

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Divisions are gone, imo. Mountain West just removed theirs for 23. They want a majority of UM OSU PSU title games with a small chance for everyone else.
I honestly can’t wait to have non murderers row schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT