ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Winter Football Schedule Proposal Article

Personally, I have little interest in these abbreviated season schemes... (nothing against you, I just can't get too excited about half a season that doesn't mean anything)...

In my opinion, they'd all be better off just utilizing the next three months for conditioning and recruiting..., then move on towards an early Spring Practice and perhaps use what would normally be the Spring Game to play their most hated rival...and then transition into a normal workout cycle to get ready for a full schedule in 2021...

Here's a link to my expanded thoughts on the topic:

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/t...the-rivalry-trophy-games.200519/#post-2991461

If you still have the COVID Restrictions for Crowds and Distancing, I'm not sure that it would make economic sense to open for this. You have the costs of staffing the facility, if you have restricted crowds you won't make anything on concessions and little on Parking.
It's almost like the Big Ten Schools will be doing this for the sake of doing it while losing money by paying to rent these facilities.

If you still have the COVID Restrictions for Crowds and Distancing, I'm not sure that it would make economic sense to open for this. You have the costs of staffing the facility, if you have restricted crowds you won't make anything on concessions and little on Parking.
It's almost like the Big Ten Schools will be doing this for the sake of doing it while losing money by paying to rent these facilities.
They are counting on eyeballs on the TV broadcast to pay for the facilities. The conference would lose more money not playing.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I still think the best way to go to put a stake in this crap nonseason and move onto 2021 would be a [1time only] rivalry game [in our case The Bucket Game] played sometime between 3/24/21 and 4/3/21 as a replacement for the respective schools spring game...

This approach would give the players an actual goal to look to while enduring those grinding, grueling workouts without putting their bodies through what in effect would be a double season for 2021 if they had to play these whacked out spring schedules Brohmardi and others are pushing...

I'm going to bump up my original thread on this (I know poor form... I apologize in advance, just skip over it if you're disinterested)...

I believe this rivalry only spring game approach is a good one or I wouldn't keep pushing this dying horse... (I'm hoping against hope that he has Hildago somewhere back there in his lineage;)).,,

donkey-and-carrot.jpg

They are counting on eyeballs on the TV broadcast to pay for the facilities. The conference would lose more money not playing.

and you know this how?

not being a smart ass, actually asking.

everyone assumes no games no tv money.

i haven't assumed that yet, and an answer to that question from the parties themselves might shed some light on a now dark room.

that the subject hasn't come up or the schools don't already know the answer, i'm not buying.

and you know this how?

not being a smart ass, actually asking.

everyone assumes no games no tv money.

i haven't assumed that yet, and an answer to that question from the parties themselves might shed some light on a now dark room.

that the subject hasn't come up or the schools don't already know the answer, i'm not buying.
I don't have any inside information, but it's basic economics in my opinion.

You can only charge x number of dollars for commercials. That is where most of the revenue comes from. Fewer eyeballs mean cheaper commercials, more eyeballs equals more expensive commercials.

I could be wrong, but that is where I am coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The problem with relying on TV Audience is that audiences aren't conditioned to watch football at that time of year. Once the Super Bowl is over many people don't want to watch more football. Ask the USFL, XFL, or whatever incarnation is trying it this time.
You are in the middle of Basketball Season. If the IU - Purdue Basketball Game is televised at the same time IU plays Rutgers in football, which one will you watch?

Then you have the problem of comparatives. If the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 get there Seasons played this fall, and aren't playing next Spring, what are you playing for and how do you compare Play and Results in the College Football Universe? You also run into the same problem Major League Baseball and NBA are running into with shortened Seasons. If you don't play enough Games to have a full 11 or 12 Game Schedule you may not have balanced schedules that are comparable. You also can't readily compare team and individual performances from a historical perspective.

The B1G likely blew it when cancelling the fall season. I don't see a spring or winter season working and think they should just allow a game at the end of spring practice.

The problem with relying on TV Audience is that audiences aren't conditioned to watch football at that time of year. Once the Super Bowl is over many people don't want to watch more football. Ask the USFL, XFL, or whatever incarnation is trying it this time.
You are in the middle of Basketball Season. If the IU - Purdue Basketball Game is televised at the same time IU plays Rutgers in football, which one will you watch?

Then you have the problem of comparatives. If the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 get there Seasons played this fall, and aren't playing next Spring, what are you playing for and how do you compare Play and Results in the College Football Universe? You also run into the same problem Major League Baseball and NBA are running into with shortened Seasons. If you don't play enough Games to have a full 11 or 12 Game Schedule you may not have balanced schedules that are comparable. You also can't readily compare team and individual performances from a historical perspective.

Football. Easy choice.

Football. Easy choice.

Properly promoted and using a date range of 3/24-4/3/2021 it should be easy to avoid a basketball scheduling conflict and make TV money hand over fist... All that's needed is some leadership...

I don't have any inside information, but it's basic economics in my opinion.

You can only charge x number of dollars for commercials. That is where most of the revenue comes from. Fewer eyeballs mean cheaper commercials, more eyeballs equals more expensive commercials.

I could be wrong, but that is where I am coming from.

not true.

only a small percent of media revenue comes from commercials, the vast majority from subscriber fees. (i believe we've gone over this before, have we not)?

it could very well be that not playing is more profitable, if the conference is getting tv money play or not, which i wouldn't rule out and think may be the more likely scenario..

that said, imo the conference/schools would be far more likely to publicize if they weren't still being paid than if they were, so imo silence on the subject points to still being paid to me.

not true.

only a small percent of media revenue comes from commercials, the vast majority from subscriber fees. (i believe we've gone over this before, have we not)?

it could very well be that not playing is more profitable, if the conference is getting tv money play or not, which i wouldn't rule out and think may be the more likely scenario..

that said, imo the conference/schools would be far more likely to publicize if they weren't still being paid than if they were, so imo silence on the subject points to still being paid to me.
Warren announced the postponement of the football season only two weeks ago. Do you really think the conference and its broadcasting partners have had time to work out a deal, particularly in such a fluid environment and with so many variables?

Sure, the conference may end up with some TV money even if no games are played, but the conference and its member schools will still take an enormous financial hit in the absence of a football season. There is no way in hell that "not playing is more profitable" than playing.
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...s-lend-hand-covid-big-ten-network/5624471002/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT