All-American
Apr 9, 2012
IU .................9-2
IOWA............8-2 Best Wins: V. Tech
PUR..............8-2 Best Wins: ND, V.Tech
MINN............8-4 Best Wins: BC, Arizona
ILL.................6-3 Best Wins: C. Carolina,ULCA, AZ, Wash
MD................7-4 Best Wins: Tenn (2x), C. Carolina
OSU..............7-4 Best Wins: Utah(2x)
NEB...............6-5 Best Wins: Utah(2x), Wash. St., Wichita St.
RUT...............5-5 Best Wins: Miami(of FL)
PSU...............3-5 Best Wins: none
MSU..............3-7 Best Wins: AZ, Pepperdine(2x)
NW................3-7 Best Wins: Kan.,Texas
MICH.............3-8 Best Wins: Stanford

Indiana has played far and away the best schedule, and we have what I would call 7 quality wins (all except RU & Chi. St).

To me, IIllinois has been the biggest positive surprise so far. Beating UCLA, Arizona & Washington in 3 consecutive days. Michigan has probably been the most disappointing. Their best win was Stanford, and they lost 3/4 in that series. MSU has been a hard luck team. They lost 4 straight to Fresno St. to start the season, including 3 1 run games.

I know RPI is funky this time of year, but I don't get RPI's love for Purdue (#8).

Honestly, barring injury problems, I see IU as far and away the best team in the Big Ten this year. They would appear to be the dominate favorite heading into BT play.

That said, it's easier to pick the bottom than the top. NW, Rutgers, and PSU are the worst teams, probably in that order.

I think Minnesota is the 2nd best team in the Big 10. They've scored 9 or more runs 6x, including 16 twice. Also, they've given up 3 or fewer runs 7x. I haven't checked out the stats, but they probably rival IU's. Maryland is probably #3. They beat TENN 2/3 at Tennessee, but lost 2/3 to Army. I think Nebraska was supposed to be a threat but I did check out their stats a few games ago, and they were bad both offensively & defensively at that time.

Right now, I see the standings ending up something like this:

1. IU
2. Minnesota
3. Maryland

4. Illinois
5. Nebraska
6. Purdue
7. Iowa

8. OSU
9. Michigan
10. MSU

11. Northwestern
12. Rutgers
13. PSU

That is some great early season info! Thanks for posting. Let’s hope the Hoosiers stay healthy, because if they do, the sky is the limit for this team. And, if Matt Lloyd launches a home run at the Bart like he did in San Diego, they may have to stop play on Andy Mohr Field.

IU .................9-2
IOWA............8-2 Best Wins: V. Tech
PUR..............8-2 Best Wins: ND, V.Tech
MINN............8-4 Best Wins: BC, Arizona
ILL.................6-3 Best Wins: C. Carolina,ULCA, AZ, Wash
MD................7-4 Best Wins: Tenn (2x), C. Carolina
OSU..............7-4 Best Wins: Utah(2x)
NEB...............6-5 Best Wins: Utah(2x), Wash. St., Wichita St.
RUT...............5-5 Best Wins: Miami(of FL)
PSU...............3-5 Best Wins: none
MSU..............3-7 Best Wins: AZ, Pepperdine(2x)
NW................3-7 Best Wins: Kan.,Texas
MICH.............3-8 Best Wins: Stanford

Indiana has played far and away the best schedule, and we have what I would call 7 quality wins (all except RU & Chi. St).

To me, IIllinois has been the biggest positive surprise so far. Beating UCLA, Arizona & Washington in 3 consecutive days. Michigan has probably been the most disappointing. Their best win was Stanford, and they lost 3/4 in that series. MSU has been a hard luck team. They lost 4 straight to Fresno St. to start the season, including 3 1 run games.

I know RPI is funky this time of year, but I don't get RPI's love for Purdue (#8).

Honestly, barring injury problems, I see IU as far and away the best team in the Big Ten this year. They would appear to be the dominate favorite heading into BT play.

That said, it's easier to pick the bottom than the top. NW, Rutgers, and PSU are the worst teams, probably in that order.

I think Minnesota is the 2nd best team in the Big 10. They've scored 9 or more runs 6x, including 16 twice. Also, they've given up 3 or fewer runs 7x. I haven't checked out the stats, but they probably rival IU's. Maryland is probably #3. They beat TENN 2/3 at Tennessee, but lost 2/3 to Army. I think Nebraska was supposed to be a threat but I did check out their stats a few games ago, and they were bad both offensively & defensively at that time.

Right now, I see the standings ending up something like this:

1. IU
2. Minnesota
3. Maryland

4. Illinois
5. Nebraska
6. Purdue
7. Iowa

8. OSU
9. Michigan
10. MSU

11. Northwestern
12. Rutgers
13. PSU
The thing that stings about your scenario, which I agree with, is that IU doesn't play 9) Michigan 10) MSU 12) Rutgers and 13) PSU in the Big Ten season. Nice.

The thing that stings about your scenario, which I agree with, is that IU doesn't play 9) Michigan 10) MSU 12) Rutgers and 13) PSU in the Big Ten season. Nice.
That's one thing about baseball in that the schedules are really unbalanced. We may be the best team in the conference, but we have one of the tougher conference schedules, so there could be a team or two that could finish ahead of us in the regular season. I haven't looked at their schedule yet, but I believe Minnesota has a highly favorable conference schedule.

That's one thing about baseball in that the schedules are really unbalanced. We may be the best team in the conference, but we have one of the tougher conference schedules, so there could be a team or two that could finish ahead of us in the regular season. I haven't looked at their schedule yet, but I believe Minnesota has a highly favorable conference schedule.
Minnesota does have what looks like the easiest schedule.
http://iubase.com/2018-b1g-baseball-strength-of-schedule-preview-by-carl-james/

Reactions: snowling
I want the best on our schedule win or lose. We’re playing for conference title and NCAA. If we’re good enough we’ll take care of business. Those lower team RPI’s don’t help us. Winning BIG is great but we need RPI games. Master of the obvious. Go Hoosiers!

Mobilehoosier's right on that......last year when we played and beat Rutgers it killed our RPI....so having Rutgers & PSU off the schedule should help in that regard......just hope it doesn't cost us the BT championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT