ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 expected to approve fall football season within the next 72 hours…. Developing…

Fast testing is great in regards to limiting the spread of the virus since those individuals can be quickly isolated but IMO, the real crux of the matter and I think what DANC was eluding to, is what if anything does fast testing have to do with the heart issues?

Are there treatments that can be used early in the infection that will mitigate or eliminate the potential long term heart issues? If the answer is no then the heart issues that the BT originally touted as a reason to cancel the season still remains.
You get it.

I'm tired of explaining the obvious. If these people want to be sheep, let them.

There has been no breakthrough in managing the virus that makes a bit of difference to the health and safety of the football players. It's obvious the only reasons the Big Ten is playing football are because of money and public pressure.

You get it.

I'm tired of explaining the obvious. If these people want to be sheep, let them.

There has been no breakthrough in managing the virus that makes a bit of difference to the health and safety of the football players. It's obvious the only reasons the Big Ten is playing football are because of money and public pressure.
Since you still want to bunch those of us who think scientific knowledge grows over time and call us sheeple then I believe that you have a closed mind. Stick to your conspiracy theory that health of the student-athlete is unimportant and there is a coverup.

Your posts are hilarious.

Fast testing is great in regards to limiting the spread of the virus since those individuals can be quickly isolated but IMO, the real crux of the matter and I think what DANC was eluding to, is what if anything does fast testing have to do with the heart issues?

Are there treatments that can be used early in the infection that will mitigate or eliminate the potential long term heart issues? If the answer is no then the heart issues that the BT originally touted as a reason to cancel the season still remains.
Maybe you missed that they have found that they can detect the heart issues with MRI, which they were not aware of before. That does make it possible to know weather that is a problem within that three week window.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One would think that fast testing would help determine more quickly if any athlete that has had Covid might be returned to playing or held for further examination and treatment if necessary. Seems simple enough to understand just that. But that was not the only issue.

There are limitations due to differences in scanner precision, varying levels of interpreter expertise, and variation in interpretation criteria. In addition, there are substantial concerns about costs and risks, and 24/7 availability may not be possible or available to university students and health care professionals.

Members of the American College of Cardiology's Sports and Exercise Cardiology Council outlined recommendations to determine when athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 could resume physical activity. For instance, an athlete with mild symptoms who didn't require hospitalization should rest and recover for two weeks after symptoms subside. Then the athlete should undergo further evaluation and medical testing, including an electrocardiogram; echocardiogram; and testing for high levels of the blood enzyme troponin, an indicator of heart damage.

On the other hand, athletes who test positive during routine screening but have no symptoms should rest for (previously two weeks but recently changed to) three weeks and be monitored carefully when they return to play. They don't necessarily need further evaluation if they remain asymptomatic.

Dr. Matthew Martinez, director of Atlantic Health System Sports Cardiology at Morristown Medical Center in New Jersey said professional sports leagues and most of the Power Five conferences—the NCAA's biggest football conferences—have administered comprehensive cardiac testing to any athlete exposed to COVID-19.

These improvements and protocols, according to recent information provided to the public recently, had not been instituted across the board at all B1G universities. Now they apparently are.

But if one is a science denier, or if one thinks that health care professionals are not learning more over time, then the only thing that matters is the conspiracy theory.

Since you responded to me I will take umbrage to your last paragraph.

I was a science major at IU and good science is the backbone of our health system and out society in general.

Maybe you missed that they have found that they can detect the heart issues with MRI, which they were not aware of before. That does make it possible to know weather that is a problem within that three week window.

I fail to see what your response has to do with my post.

IIRC, one of the reasons that the BT shut down football was the possibility of long term heart problems for some. As I clearly state in my post, it is great that they have rapid testing but....

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field.

You realize detecting heart issues with and MRI has been done long before the virus came along, didn't you?

And guess what - they still can. And the virus still can affect the heart. NOTHING'S CHANGED.

There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field.
Is that you using your Google MD Certification?

It doesn't work like that,Doctor. No one is dropping dead a day after they get the virus. It takes time to take effect, if it does. And current testing detected Feeney's issues long before anything serious happened.

Go fear monger somewhere else.

You realize detecting heart issues with and MRI has been done long before the virus came along, didn't you?

And guess what - they still can. And the virus still can affect the heart. NOTHING'S CHANGED.
What has changed is that the Big Ten is going to be playing football. But, you and some others will still be unhappy.

But I'm laughing...at your conspiracy theories and mantra.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Zack O, just tweeted that there will be no tailgating this season. Not unexpected since there will likely not be fans, but also sad.

Is that you using your Google MD Certification?

It doesn't work like that,Doctor. No one is dropping dead a day after they get the virus. It takes time to take effect, if it does. And current testing detected Feeney's issues long before anything serious happened.

Go fear monger somewhere else.
I said the risk has now been mitigated. That's quite the opposite of fear-mongering.

I can't figure out whether your primary issue is ignorance or delusion. It's likely a close call.

What has changed is that the Big Ten is going to be playing football. But, you and some others will still be unhappy.

But I'm laughing...at your conspiracy theories and mantra.
Guy is the quintessential Negative Nancy, with a dose of loony thrown in.

I said the risk has now been mitigated. That's quite the opposite of fear-mongering.

I can't figure out whether your primary issue is ignorance or delusion. It's likely a close call.
Let's revisit what you actually wrote: "There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field."

Guess what - there was always "little to no risk" of a player dropping dead on a football field because the heart issue doesn't kill 3 or 4 days after you get the virus. And they were already testing players every week.

You are fear mongering to try to hide your embarrassment over being shown that the virus was never that dangerous to people in the college age group.

You wouldn't continue to look stupid if statistics weren't such a mystery to you.

Let's revisit what you actually wrote: "There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field."

Guess what - there was always "little to no risk" of a player dropping dead on a football field because the heart issue doesn't kill 3 or 4 days after you get the virus. And they were already testing players every week.

You are fear mongering to try to hide your embarrassment over being shown that the virus was never that dangerous to people in the college age group.

You wouldn't continue to look stupid if statistics weren't such a mystery to you.
I'll give this one more shot which is most likely an exercise in futility because you won't get it anyway.

First, where is this "3 to 4 days after you get the virus" coming from? Who said that? I didn't.

Covid-related myocarditis poses a risk of sudden death irrespective of when the condition develops. Some Big Ten schools had previously been struggling to get cardiac MRIs for players. That's no longer the case. With more widespread and comprehensive screening, diagnosing these cases will be improved, thereby mitigating the risk of a cardiac emergency on the field.

This is from Science Magazine on September 15:

"Because of the physical demands of sports, team doctors need to be on guard for myocarditis. A paper in JAMA Cardiology last week reported a study of 26 athletes at Ohio State University after COVID-19; four had developed myocarditis. Professional sports leagues are also scanning the hearts of athletes who were infected with SARS-CoV-2. Those with myocarditis, regardless of whether they have symptoms, are benched, in part out of fear that myocarditis could lead to sudden death during intense activity."

Now go ahead and distort what I said or pivot to something else. You're good at that.

I'll give this one more shot which is most likely an exercise in futility because you won't get it anyway.

First, where is this "3 to 4 days after you get the virus" coming from? Who said that? I didn't.

Covid-related myocarditis poses a risk of sudden death irrespective of when the condition develops. Some Big Ten schools had previously been struggling to get cardiac MRIs for players. That's no longer the case. With more widespread and comprehensive screening, diagnosing these cases will be improved, thereby mitigating the risk of a cardiac emergency on the field.

This is from Science Magazine on September 15:

"Because of the physical demands of sports, team doctors need to be on guard for myocarditis. A paper in JAMA Cardiology last week reported a study of 26 athletes at Ohio State University after COVID-19; four had developed myocarditis. Professional sports leagues are also scanning the hearts of athletes who were infected with SARS-CoV-2. Those with myocarditis, regardless of whether they have symptoms, are benched, in part out of fear that myocarditis could lead to sudden death during intense activity."

Now go ahead and distort what I said or pivot to something else. You're good at that.
""There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field."

But there was never that risk because players were already being tested, so even if there was a 3 or 4 day delay from the time they took the test to the time they found the results, it still wasn't enough time for the virus to cause myocarditis and the player to 'drop dead on a football field"

Yes, OSU players had it. An IU player had it. And it was found and the players were quarantined and monitored. And all withoug instant testing.

I can't dumb it down any more than that. If you don't get it now, you never will.

""There is now little to no risk of a player with undiagnosed Covid-related myocarditis dropping dead on a football field."

But there was never that risk because players were already being tested, so even if there was a 3 or 4 day delay from the time they took the test to the time they found the results, it still wasn't enough time for the virus to cause myocarditis and the player to 'drop dead on a football field"

Yes, OSU players had it. An IU player had it. And it was found and the players were quarantined and monitored. And all withoug instant testing.

I can't dumb it down any more than that. If you don't get it now, you never will.
As someone who has had myocarditis...my situation actually deteriorated in a period of less than 24 hours. Granted, I was told by my cardiologist at Emory that my situation was going to be a case study but it does happen. I really cannot emphasize enough that myocarditis is no joke. It's been a decade, I'm seemingly healthy as a horse, and my life insurance is through the roof.

With that being said, I still have no idea what the hell is going on here. I really don't think anyone should be playing, but I'm not upset that they are. I just hope the doctors can keep everyone safe!

Reactions: 76-1
As someone who has had myocarditis...my situation actually deteriorated in a period of less than 24 hours. Granted, I was told by my cardiologist at Emory that my situation was going to be a case study but it does happen. I really cannot emphasize enough that myocarditis is no joke. It's been a decade, I'm seemingly healthy as a horse, and my life insurance is through the roof.

With that being said, I still have no idea what the hell is going on here. I really don't think anyone should be playing, but I'm not upset that they are. I just hope the doctors can keep everyone safe!
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't mean to imply that someone can't die from it - obviously, they can.

But with the testing they have had, they aren't going to drop dead on the field from myocarditis. Testing will, or should catch the virus and then I would assume the condition would be caught, as it was with Feeney.

I'm also not saying if you have it, it can't deteriorate quickly, as yours did. But a player with myocarditis isn't even going to be on the field, even before instant testing results.

Do you still have it after a decade? Did it affect your long-term heart health? I assume that's why your life insurance is so expensive. I'm on Medicare and I can't change insurance without a new underwriting for 5 year because of cancer.

As soon as my daughter graduated from college, I ditched life insurance. No need to make anyone rich and my wife is taken care of financially.

I fail to see what your response has to do with my post.

IIRC, one of the reasons that the BT shut down football was the possibility of long term heart problems for some. As I clearly state in my post, it is great that they have rapid testing but....

My point is that they now feel they can accurately diagnose the heart condition and keep that player out until he recovers, where before they were concerned about playing a kid who develops the heart condition risking his life unnecessarily.

IOW you’re ignoring the BS in the statement to prove there wasn’t any BS in the statement. I’m constantly amazed at how some of you people will twist yourselves into knots to defend whatever the folks in charge decide to do. If they had come out yesterday and said they couldn’t see a way forward to have a football season in 2020, you’d be out front defending that. You people consistently defend the IU administration too...

Funny, isn't it?

The usual suspects will lap up any self-serving propaganda bursting forth from the bowels of academics with the correct political leanings.

Zack O, just tweeted that there will be no tailgating this season. Not unexpected since there will likely not be fans, but also sad.
Oh there'll be tailgaiting . . . it just won't be in the stadium parking lots. But folks are still gonna eat . . . .

Glad to hear that, Chriselli . . .

. . . btw, are you in the ATL? Emory ain't easy to find if you don't live there . . . .

This was an absolute cluster**** of a decision and a process.

Had they not delayed the season they would have had at least 12 weeks to play a 9 game schedule. Without looking it up again, they may have had 13. That was doable. But 10/17 was workable. And 10/10 would have been better.

Now they end up with an 8 game season with no bye weeks? WTF. This 100% shows that they were never, and are still not, interested in completing a full season.

PSU athletics----50 positives out of 859 tests for the period Sept 5-11. 5.8%. I believe the 'player positivity' protocol is based on % of players testing +, not of overall tests, so player % may be somewhat different. However, I think it is evidence of how important it was that the season start on 10/10 (best) or 10/17 (still better) so that there were some available byes. I believe this is evidence that there the BT plan is not a serious effort to play a complete (9 game) season for most or all of their teams. I think it's about other things. We can debate endlessly what those are.

So why didn't they start on 10/10 or 10/17? Wisconsin has had 29 players & staff test positive since 9/1. So you think it's possible, just possible, that Barry A. held up the whole league schedule so that Wisconsin could possibly get in enough games to qualify for the playoffs?

What chancellor was speaking up at the last minute about the Big Ten always acting in unity, never separately? Yep, Wisconsin's. Interesting.

So why didn't they start on 10/10 or 10/17? Wisconsin has had 29 players & staff test positive since 9/1. So you think it's possible, just possible, that Barry A. held up the whole league schedule so that Wisconsin could possibly get in enough games to qualify for the playoffs?

What chancellor was speaking up at the last minute about the Big Ten always acting in unity, never separately? Yep, Wisconsin's. Interesting.
Oh my God. This is terrifying. Do you really think Barry A. and Rebecca B. wield such absolute power? Could they actually be the masterminds of such a devious plot? Who are you? Q?

Oh my God. This is terrifying. Do you really think Barry A. and Rebecca B. wield such absolute power? Could they actually be the masterminds of such a devious plot? Who are you? Q?
5 weeks is ridiculous. I'm sure this played a part. There is no reason they could not have played the first weekend or so in October.

Reactions: DANC and CC Mac

Makes zero sense otherwise. Create a schedule with no bye weeks, with people playing on 12/12 in the Midwest. Absurd.

But you're convinced it's all about the safety of the players, right?

But you're convinced it's all about the safety of the players, right?
My wish for you in your golden years, Danny, is that you're able to find something to do with your time that's more productive than repeatedly picking fights with people you don't know on the internet.

My wish for you in your golden years, Danny, is that you're able to find something to do with your time that's more productive than repeatedly picking fights with people you don't know on the internet.
I'm in my golden years, Junior. And nothing makes me happier than exposing posers on the internet. So, that's why I respond to your posts.

But really, I enjoy babysitting my granddaughter more - when she whines and cries, there's usually a good reason.

ADVERTISEMENT