ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 expected to approve fall football season within the next 72 hours…. Developing…

With a new pandemic in the midst and new news coming out daily, there is no right or wrong answer. You have to understand that most of the leagues in the NCAA are not playing so the B1G is in the majority. This can bee seen as the B1G being smarter than the SEC/ACC/Big 12 because we allowed the other conferences to be the test dummies. I think people have to recognize this situation for what it is and lighten up on the criticism.
"most of the leagues in the NCAA are not playing." Location, location location.

Not so fast my friend as Corso said, read profootballtalk.nbcsports.com he has qualified what he said.

Rebecca Blank (UW Chancellor), in testimony today before a Senate committee (the hearing focused on name, image and likeness compensation for student-athletes), indicated that the B1G shut down fall sports for two primary reasons.

“One was that we were uncertain we could do the level of testing and contact tracing that we needed to keep athletes safe. Secondly, there was this growing evidence about heart-related myocarditis and that evidence was uncertain and it wasn’t clear what it means and we wanted to know more. There were a few other minor reasons.

“Until we have answers to that, we will keep our season postponed. Once we have answers to that and to some of those issues and things that we have ways to deal with them effectively, we will try to plan a delayed season,” she explained.

During further questioning from Sen. Tim Kaine about the Big Ten re-evaluating its decision, Blank told the lawmaker, “When such a decision happens, your first question should be ‘What’s changed?’

Hopefully we’ll have answers to exactly the issues I have raised.”

Rebecca Blank (UW Chancellor), in testimony today before a Senate committee (the hearing focused on name, image and likeness compensation for student-athletes), indicated that the B1G shut down fall sports for two primary reasons.

“One was that we were uncertain we could do the level of testing and contact tracing that we needed to keep athletes safe. Secondly, there was this growing evidence about heart-related myocarditis and that evidence was uncertain and it wasn’t clear what it means and we wanted to know more. There were a few other minor reasons.

“Until we have answers to that, we will keep our season postponed. Once we have answers to that and to some of those issues and things that we have ways to deal with them effectively, we will try to plan a delayed season,” she explained.

During further questioning from Sen. Tim Kaine about the Big Ten re-evaluating its decision, Blank told the lawmaker, “When such a decision happens, your first question should be ‘What’s changed?’

Hopefully we’ll have answers to exactly the issues I have raised.”
That was exactly my question to you. What changed.

How would I know what new medical information is factoring into the Big Ten's decision?
You seemed pretty certain you knew it was too dangerous to play.

And when many of us stated facts that showed it wasn't dangerous, you lost your mind.

Where is your outrage now that the season could start? Don't you care about killing people?

Reactions: indy1203
That was exactly my question to you. What changed.
What has changed is the ability to test often and get the results quickly. Also, more information is available, along with some form of uniformity of how to hanlde the situation. My understanding is the B1G schools are looking to have the same standards and approach to deal with the virus.

Look are at other conferences, and you'll see how one school is doing fine while another struggles to get ahead of the problem. TCU, LSU, and NC State are struggling to deal with dozens of people catching the virus. Meanwhile, Wake Forest hasn't experienced anything. A lot of it has to do with each school having different protocols.

Reactions: vesuvius13

And when many of us stated facts that showed it wasn't dangerous, you lost your mind.

Where is your outrage now that the season could start? Don't you care about killing people?
Dude, get professional help.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
If they revisit the season and decide to play, I believe it will be based upon additional due diligence and it will be an informed decision. I think the decision not to play was the right decision when that decision was made.

Meanwhile everybody should have been wearing a mask a couple months ago and everybody should still be wearing a mask while in public. Stay safe

What has changed is the ability to test often and get the results quickly. Also, more information is available, along with some form of uniformity of how to hanlde the situation. My understanding is the B1G schools are looking to have the same standards and approach to deal with the virus.

Look are at other conferences, and you'll see how one school is doing fine while another struggles to get ahead of the problem. TCU, LSU, and NC State are struggling to deal with dozens of people catching the virus. Meanwhile, Wake Forest hasn't experienced anything. A lot of it has to do with each school having different protocols.
Testing does not help the health of the players.

Testing does not help the health of the players.

Interesting, you should tell the CDC this because they must be mistaken. Testing helps isolate the infected and prevents the spread. How is that not helping the health?

The worst thing ever was the term "flip flopper". Meaning a person or candidate who stands up for something based on the information they had but then upon later learning additional things, decides to make a new informed decision. That to me, is a positive trait and one that should be celebrated. We are always learning and becoming more informed but to be held to believe one thing and from that day forward you must fall on that sword is why we are where we are in this world today.

The B1G made what they believed was a wise decision along with the majority of the NCAA. The other remaining handful of conferences playing became the test dummies and it may only cost the B1G nothing but maybe 2 games from what they were going to play before they shut the season down. I don't see why you are so pressed about it?

I agree with you. I think it's a cover as the B1G reverse course.
October 24 start to be announced by B1G today according to multiple sources.

Exerpt from above link from B1G website: The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020.

Last edited:
October 24 start to be announced by B1G today according to multiple sources.

Exerpt from above link from B1G website: The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020.
You beat me to it.

If they revisit the season and decide to play, I believe it will be based upon additional due diligence and it will be an informed decision. I think the decision not to play was the right decision when that decision was made.

Meanwhile everybody should have been wearing a mask a couple months ago and everybody should still be wearing a mask while in public. Stay safe

Thank God you were ok with it. That was the last hurdle to overcome.

Interesting, you should tell the CDC this because they must be mistaken. Testing helps isolate the infected and prevents the spread. How is that not helping the health?
My point is, it doesn't stop the supposed health issues if you have it.

Do you really want to put your faith in the CDC at this point?

The worst thing ever was the term "flip flopper". Meaning a person or candidate who stands up for something based on the information they had but then upon later learning additional things, decides to make a new informed decision. That to me, is a positive trait and one that should be celebrated. We are always learning and becoming more informed but to be held to believe one thing and from that day forward you must fall on that sword is why we are where we are in this world today.

The B1G made what they believed was a wise decision along with the majority of the NCAA. The other remaining handful of conferences playing became the test dummies and it may only cost the B1G nothing but maybe 2 games from what they were going to play before they shut the season down. I don't see why you are so pressed about it?
I'm 'pressed' about it because the data shows the virus does not have a huge effect on college age population.

Anyone who bothers to look at the statistics knows that, and knew it then, included Big Ten Presidents.

My point is, it doesn't stop the supposed health issues if you have it.

Do you really want to put your faith in the CDC at this point?

I absolutely do. What kind of question is that? This has been a new disease and everything they have said is normal disease protocol.

I'm 'pressed' about it because the data shows the virus does not have a huge effect on college age population.

Anyone who bothers to look at the statistics knows that, and knew it then, included Big Ten Presidents.

It's never just been about the effect on college age population. It's all encompassing. To that, it's also had situations arise that were dangerous and with fall leading into the flu season, all sports having tons of cases popping up at the time of their decision, they made a corporate decision. Reversing course STILL could be wrong but again, using the vast evidence that is out there combined with the fact that we still have another almost 40 days before we play of experimentation by the SEC/ACC/Big 12 to prove its safe........this is a smart decision. It was a gamble either way which is why the ACC isn't playing non-conference games. If it was SO safe, why aren't you busting their chops?

Do not tell Brady Feeney and his Mom that the virus does not have a huge effect on college age people. https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-freshman-brady-feeney-seriously-ill-covid-19

The coronavirus 19 is growing in college age population: https://www.statesman.com/news/2020...hildren-college-students-health-officials-say

Not to mention that students may disregard health controls and become infected and then there is the multiplier effect. We still do not know about all of the long-term effects of this disease.

I think that the B1G was being prudent. Still are. Their PR sux. But I am glad that they paused. Now I think that they are trying to be prudent...with one eye on health and one eye on the money.

Wear a mask. Wear it for others in your group, your family, your friends, for society, for goodness sake. Take the long-term perspective.

Do not tell Brady Feeney and his Mom that the virus does not have a huge effect on college age people. https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-freshman-brady-feeney-seriously-ill-covid-19

The coronavirus 19 is growing in college age population: https://www.statesman.com/news/2020...hildren-college-students-health-officials-say

Not to mention that students may disregard health controls and become infected and then there is the multiplier effect. We still do not know about all of the long-term effects of this disease.

I think that the B1G was being prudent. Still are. Their PR sux. But I am glad that they paused. Now I think that they are trying to be prudent...with one eye on health and one eye on the money.

Wear a mask. Wear it for others in your group, your family, your friends, for society, for goodness sake. Take the long-term perspective.
I didn't say it didn't have any effect. I said it didn't have a huge impact on that age group. And it doesn't.

Here is a quote from Feeney's mom: "Bottom line, even if your son’s schools do everything right to protect them, they CAN’T PROTECT THEM!! "

And she's right. You can't protect everyone. Do we stop the season for this? The article was on Aug. 3 and Feeney is with the team. The sky is not falling.

I absolutely do. What kind of question is that? This has been a new disease and everything they have said is normal disease protocol.
They've changed their stories several times. What makes you think they won't change their minds again?

Follow the data.

It's never just been about the effect on college age population. It's all encompassing. To that, it's also had situations arise that were dangerous and with fall leading into the flu season, all sports having tons of cases popping up at the time of their decision, they made a corporate decision. Reversing course STILL could be wrong but again, using the vast evidence that is out there combined with the fact that we still have another almost 40 days before we play of experimentation by the SEC/ACC/Big 12 to prove its safe........this is a smart decision. It was a gamble either way which is why the ACC isn't playing non-conference games. If it was SO safe, why aren't you busting their chops?
Seriously? You use the ACC, who is playing football, as your example?

I have no idea why they aren't playing non-conference games. Probably because they can't count on schools outside the conference, like those in the Big Ten, to actually have a season.

By the way, did you know the SEC and Big 12 are also playing football?

This was an absolute cluster**** of a decision and a process.

Had they not delayed the season they would have had at least 12 weeks to play a 9 game schedule. Without looking it up again, they may have had 13. That was doable. But 10/17 was workable. And 10/10 would have been better.

Now they end up with an 8 game season with no bye weeks? WTF. This 100% shows that they were never, and are still not, interested in completing a full season.

This was an absolute cluster**** of a decision and a process.

Had they not delayed the season they would have had at least 12 weeks to play a 9 game schedule. Without looking it up again, they may have had 13. That was doable. But 10/17 was workable. And 10/10 would have been better.

Now they end up with an 8 game season with no bye weeks? WTF. This 100% shows that they were never, and are still not, interested in completing a full season.

And they put out a bs, self-promoting press release....disgusting

And they put out a bs, self-promoting press release....disgusting

Here's a portion of the Big Ten's statement. There's nothing at all "BS" about it. It details compelling, data-driven protocols that focus on the well-being of the student-athletes and staff, with a responsible blueprint for proceeding with practices and games.

"The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020. The decision was based on information presented by the Big Ten Return to Competition Task Force, a working group that was established by the COP/C and Commissioner Kevin Warren to ensure a collaborative and transparent process.

The Big Ten will require student-athletes, coaches, trainers and other individuals that are on the field for all practices and games to undergo daily antigen testing. Test results must be completed and recorded prior to each practice or game. Student-athletes who test positive for the coronavirus through point of contact (POC) daily testing would require a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result of the POC test.

Each institution will designate a Chief Infection Officer (CInO) who will oversee the collection and reporting of data for the Big Ten Conference. Team test positivity rate and population positivity rate thresholds will be used to determine recommendations for continuing practice and competition."

All COVID-19 positive student-athletes will have to undergo comprehensive cardiac testing to include labs and biomarkers, ECG, Echocardiogram and a Cardiac MRI. Following cardiac evaluation, student-athletes must receive clearance from a cardiologist designated by the university for the primary purpose of cardiac clearance for COVID-19 positive student-athletes. The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis."

https://bigten.org/news/2020/9/16/t...ball-season-to-resume-october-23-24-2020.aspx

Here's a portion of the Big Ten's statement. There's nothing at all "BS" about it. It details compelling, data-driven protocols that focus on the well-being of the student-athletes and staff, with a responsible blueprint for proceeding with practices and games.

"The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020. The decision was based on information presented by the Big Ten Return to Competition Task Force, a working group that was established by the COP/C and Commissioner Kevin Warren to ensure a collaborative and transparent process.

The Big Ten will require student-athletes, coaches, trainers and other individuals that are on the field for all practices and games to undergo daily antigen testing. Test results must be completed and recorded prior to each practice or game. Student-athletes who test positive for the coronavirus through point of contact (POC) daily testing would require a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result of the POC test.

Each institution will designate a Chief Infection Officer (CInO) who will oversee the collection and reporting of data for the Big Ten Conference. Team test positivity rate and population positivity rate thresholds will be used to determine recommendations for continuing practice and competition."

All COVID-19 positive student-athletes will have to undergo comprehensive cardiac testing to include labs and biomarkers, ECG, Echocardiogram and a Cardiac MRI. Following cardiac evaluation, student-athletes must receive clearance from a cardiologist designated by the university for the primary purpose of cardiac clearance for COVID-19 positive student-athletes. The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis."

https://bigten.org/news/2020/9/16/t...ball-season-to-resume-october-23-24-2020.aspx

Sounds pretty well thought out to me.

Go Hoosiers!

The Big Ten will require student-athletes, coaches, trainers and other individuals that are on the field for all practices and games to undergo daily antigen testing. Test results must be completed and recorded prior to each practice or game. Student-athletes who test positive for the coronavirus through point of contact (POC) daily testing would require a polymerase
chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result of the POC test.

There's plenty of bs there.

If their "working group" was 'established to ensure a collaborative and transparent process", it failed miserably in its stated purpose.

And you cherry pick, don't you? How about the part where they inform us that "everybody in the Big Ten should be very proud" of all they've done? And the two other bs self-serving statements, from the clueless Commish and Morton S. of NW?

They never bother to explain why they can't get this started by 10/10...that would be 2 months from when they cancelled, and app. 1 month from when everybody else started.

Or say that because of their delay and their "team positivity rate" metric of 5%, there is little chance for a team to come close to completing a season.......for an 85 man roster, 5 players testing positive on either team means no game that week....with no weeks to make it up. Then they have a second metric of 7.5%, which presumably throws in coaches, managers et al. Add in the provision that any player testing positive sits for at least 21 days, even if totally asyptomatic.

This reminds me of the saying that "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"......only in this case there were at least 3 committees involved.

Reactions: jb17
And you cherry pick, don't you? How about the part where they inform us that "everybody in the Big Ten should be very proud" of all they've done? And the two other bs self-serving statements, from the clueless Commish and Morton S. of NW?
I didn't cherry pick anything. I posted a link to the entire statement. I quoted the most significant part of the statement that dealt with the protocol details.

It's clear that a lot of time has been expended by the medical subcommittee and the presidents and chancellors on this "return to play" initiative. I doubt many people are going to be offended by a few self-congratulatory comments that were included in the statement.

Bruce, you're just as dumb as you were 20 years ago.

Nothing has changed in the detection or treatmnent of the hear issue.

But go on living in your sheeple world.
Seems to me that significant things have changed in the detection protocols for the heart issues related to Covid 19.

Possibly as a result from such new information as this from the American Heart Association in August:

"Initially thought to be an infection causing disease of the lungs, inflammation of the vascular system and injury to the heart appear to be common features of this novel coronavirus, occurring in 20% to 30% of hospitalized patients and contributing to 40% of deaths.[1] The risk of death from COVID-19-related heart damage appears to be as or more important than other well-described risk factors for COVID-related mortality, such as age, diabetes mellitus, chronic pulmonary disease or prior history of cardiovascular disease.2,4

Much remains to be learned about COVID-19 infection and the heart. Although we think of the lungs being the primary target, there are frequent biomarker elevations noted in infected patients that are usually associated with acute heart injury. Moreover, several devastating complications of COVID-19 are cardiac in nature and may result in lingering cardiac dysfunction beyond the course of the viral illness itself,” said Mitchell S. V. Elkind, M.D., MS, FAHA, FAAN, president of the American Heart Association, the world’s leading voluntary organization focused on heart and brain health and research, and attending neurologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center. “The need for additional research remains critical. We simply don’t have enough information to provide the definitive answers people want and need.”

There is so much new information and hype related to Covid 19. As recent as August the use of certain drugs were touted by President Trump and other political personages. Critics delivered their concerns about research detailing promising COVID-19 cures, including remdesivir, Moderna, and Oxford. But the hydroxychloroquine and heart drug studies are the first to have been withdrawn. It seems that increased heart problems may have been attributed to hydroxychloroquine. And the details of the study were flawed.

At least the awareness of heart problems and instituting faster detection protocols and follow up procedures uniformly across the Big Ten universities have been instituted.

Questions were raised by officials representing various universities in the Big Ten. Those questions have been answered.

I didn't cherry pick anything. I posted a link to the entire statement. I quoted the most significant part of the statement that dealt with the protocol details.

It's clear that a lot of time has been expended by the medical subcommittee and the presidents and chancellors on this "return to play" initiative. I doubt many people are going to be offended by a few self-congratulatory comments that were included in the statement.

IOW you’re ignoring the BS in the statement to prove there wasn’t any BS in the statement. I’m constantly amazed at how some of you people will twist yourselves into knots to defend whatever the folks in charge decide to do. If they had come out yesterday and said they couldn’t see a way forward to have a football season in 2020, you’d be out front defending that. You people consistently defend the IU administration too...

IOW you’re ignoring the BS in the statement to prove there wasn’t any BS in the statement. I’m constantly amazed at how some of you people will twist yourselves into knots to defend whatever the folks in charge decide to do. If they had come out yesterday and said they couldn’t see a way forward to have a football season in 2020, you’d be out front defending that. You people consistently defend the IU administration too...
I was responding to another poster who described the conference's statement as essentially BS, self-promoting and "disgusting." It's not.

You should read it. You might learn something.

Seems to me that significant things have changed in the detection protocols for the heart issues related to Covid 19.

Possibly as a result from such new information as this from the American Heart Association in August:

"Initially thought to be an infection causing disease of the lungs, inflammation of the vascular system and injury to the heart appear to be common features of this novel coronavirus, occurring in 20% to 30% of hospitalized patients and contributing to 40% of deaths.[1] The risk of death from COVID-19-related heart damage appears to be as or more important than other well-described risk factors for COVID-related mortality, such as age, diabetes mellitus, chronic pulmonary disease or prior history of cardiovascular disease.2,4

Much remains to be learned about COVID-19 infection and the heart. Although we think of the lungs being the primary target, there are frequent biomarker elevations noted in infected patients that are usually associated with acute heart injury. Moreover, several devastating complications of COVID-19 are cardiac in nature and may result in lingering cardiac dysfunction beyond the course of the viral illness itself,” said Mitchell S. V. Elkind, M.D., MS, FAHA, FAAN, president of the American Heart Association, the world’s leading voluntary organization focused on heart and brain health and research, and attending neurologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center. “The need for additional research remains critical. We simply don’t have enough information to provide the definitive answers people want and need.”

There is so much new information and hype related to Covid 19. As recent as August the use of certain drugs were touted by President Trump and other political personages. Critics delivered their concerns about research detailing promising COVID-19 cures, including remdesivir, Moderna, and Oxford. But the hydroxychloroquine and heart drug studies are the first to have been withdrawn. It seems that increased heart problems may have been attributed to hydroxychloroquine. And the details of the study were flawed.

At least the awareness of heart problems and instituting faster detection protocols and follow up procedures uniformly across the Big Ten universities have been instituted.

Questions were raised by officials representing various universities in the Big Ten. Those questions have been answered.

Fast testing is great in regards to limiting the spread of the virus since those individuals can be quickly isolated but IMO, the real crux of the matter and I think what DANC was eluding to, is what if anything does fast testing have to do with the heart issues?

Are there treatments that can be used early in the infection that will mitigate or eliminate the potential long term heart issues? If the answer is no then the heart issues that the BT originally touted as a reason to cancel the season still remains.

Fast testing is great in regards to limiting the spread of the virus since those individuals can be quickly isolated but IMO, the real crux of the matter and I think what DANC was eluding to, is what if anything does fast testing have to do with the heart issues?

Are there treatments that can be used early in the infection that will mitigate or eliminate the potential long term heart issues? If the answer is no then the heart issues that the BT originally touted as a reason to cancel the season still remains.
One would think that fast testing would help determine more quickly if any athlete that has had Covid might be returned to playing or held for further examination and treatment if necessary. Seems simple enough to understand just that. But that was not the only issue.

There are limitations due to differences in scanner precision, varying levels of interpreter expertise, and variation in interpretation criteria. In addition, there are substantial concerns about costs and risks, and 24/7 availability may not be possible or available to university students and health care professionals.

Members of the American College of Cardiology's Sports and Exercise Cardiology Council outlined recommendations to determine when athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 could resume physical activity. For instance, an athlete with mild symptoms who didn't require hospitalization should rest and recover for two weeks after symptoms subside. Then the athlete should undergo further evaluation and medical testing, including an electrocardiogram; echocardiogram; and testing for high levels of the blood enzyme troponin, an indicator of heart damage.

On the other hand, athletes who test positive during routine screening but have no symptoms should rest for (previously two weeks but recently changed to) three weeks and be monitored carefully when they return to play. They don't necessarily need further evaluation if they remain asymptomatic.

Dr. Matthew Martinez, director of Atlantic Health System Sports Cardiology at Morristown Medical Center in New Jersey said professional sports leagues and most of the Power Five conferences—the NCAA's biggest football conferences—have administered comprehensive cardiac testing to any athlete exposed to COVID-19.

These improvements and protocols, according to recent information provided to the public recently, had not been instituted across the board at all B1G universities. Now they apparently are.

But if one is a science denier, or if one thinks that health care professionals are not learning more over time, then the only thing that matters is the conspiracy theory.

Last edited:

Daily rapid-result antigen testing allows schools to quickly identify new cases and immediately isolate those players. The infected players will then, as yesterday's statement indicated, "undergo comprehensive cardiac testing to include labs and biomarkers, ECG, Echocardiogram and a Cardiac MRI. Following cardiac evaluation, student-athletes must receive clearance from a cardiologist designated by the university for the primary purpose of cardiac clearance for COVID-19 positive student-athletes. The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis."

With mild myocarditis, the condition often improves on its own, but the patient needs to avoid competitive sports for a lengthy period. In more serious cases, where arrhythmias and/or heart failure develop, medication and other treatments are prescribed and hospitalization may be necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT