ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 expected to approve fall football season within the next 72 hours…. Developing…

mikewoodson2

Sophomore
Feb 1, 2005
Pete Thamel — The Big Ten presentation by the Return to Competition Task Force has ended successfully today. The full 14 Big Ten Chancellors and Presidents will meet tomorrow are expected to vote on return to play in next 72 hours. Today is the step before the step.

The full link is below.

It sounds like something is happening...

The writer must be an IU fan.

Last edited:
If you have 9 or 10 schools wanting to play why not let them play? Make the schedule everybody plays everybody and then have the championship. From what I'm hearing it would take 11 yes votes to reopen the season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The key seems to be the availability of these daily rapid-result tests which eliminate much of the guesswork and make the whole process much more manageable. The virus isn't going away, and we're going to continue to see games postponed (Virginia/Virginia Tech, for example), but it's looking more likely that the B1G is going to give it a go. Go Hoosiers!

The key seems to be the availability of these daily rapid-result tests which eliminate much of the guesswork and make the whole process much more manageable. The virus isn't going away, and we're going to continue to see games postponed (Virginia/Virginia Tech, for example), but it's looking more likely that the B1G is going to give it a go. Go Hoosiers!

There seems to be 4 issues as to deciding on B1G football startup. All have been addressed according to recent sports news. They are testing, contact tracing, heart problems, and public perception/politics. Testing is faster now if they implement it. Contact tracing is in place or at least understood. Heart problems were overstated due to erroneous preliminary information that has now been clarified. And the MRI test and doctors can determine whether an individual is at increased risk or not. Finally, since other teams in the north and northeast are playing then public perception/politics has shifted somewhat. We have learned a lot in a month.

I may be wrong but only 9 of 14 need to vote to restart. And Rutgers will apparently approve but may not play as long as they share revenue.

I would like to see B1G football starting around October 17...or some way to allow the B1G to have a playoff on or by December 19. Have to have a champion to send to the national playoffs.

Go IU!

So, I guess the heart issue isn't important anymore?

I’m so tired of this. Are you or any of your children playing? I’m sure parents and student athletes know and understand the risks but yet want to play. Who are you to question their decisions? If they are concerned, they can sit out this season.

I know this is what they said was their biggest concern. Apparently there have been 2 big things that have taken place in the weeks since the vote to cancel.

1. More rapid testing was made available and more inexpensive.
2. They have found a way to recognize Myocarditis earlier on, which wasn't the case before.

So these 2 big improvements have made the B1G take a drastic change in stance. I have to assume the lack of cases across the nations CFball teams over the last month have played a big part in that as well.

A lot of national & B1G fans have been really hard on the conference, commish, ADs, and college presidents/admin about the postponement. I've seen/heard lots say how foolish they look.

If they go forward with fall football, I'm hopeful for the best and a successful season in every sense of the word.

But for all the aspersions being cast RE: them being foolish by postponing too early, they'll REALLY have egg on their faces if they announce a mid-October start, and by the time the B1G starts, the other conferences have shut it down. For example THIS article from espn.com to see how the season could fall apart pretty much at any given moment if things take a bad turn.

Reactions: 82hoosier and DANC
A lot of national & B1G fans have been really hard on the conference, commish, ADs, and college presidents/admin about the postponement. I've seen/heard lots say how foolish they look.

If they go forward with fall football, I'm hopeful for the best and a successful season in every sense of the word.

But for all the aspersions being cast RE: them being foolish by postponing too early, they'll REALLY have egg on their faces if they announce a mid-October start, and by the time the B1G starts, the other conferences have shut it down. For example THIS article from espn.com to see how the season could fall apart pretty much at any given moment if things take a bad turn.

With a new pandemic in the midst and new news coming out daily, there is no right or wrong answer. You have to understand that most of the leagues in the NCAA are not playing so the B1G is in the majority. This can bee seen as the B1G being smarter than the SEC/ACC/Big 12 because we allowed the other conferences to be the test dummies. I think people have to recognize this situation for what it is and lighten up on the criticism.

I’m so tired of this. Are you or any of your children playing? I’m sure parents and student athletes know and understand the risks but yet want to play. Who are you to question their decisions? If they are concerned, they can sit out this season.
Tired of what? The reason given for canceling the Big Ten season was the heart issuse.

I asked a question - is that not important anymore? If so, what changed? And don't say instant testing - that does nothing for the heart issue.

I'm fine if they want to play. I'm just wondering why the change now.

Chill.

I know this is what they said was their biggest concern. Apparently there have been 2 big things that have taken place in the weeks since the vote to cancel.

1. More rapid testing was made available and more inexpensive.
2. They have found a way to recognize Myocarditis earlier on, which wasn't the case before.

So these 2 big improvements have made the B1G take a drastic change in stance. I have to assume the lack of cases across the nations CFball teams over the last month have played a big part in that as well.
Testing doesn't stop Myocarditis. And by the time it's detected, it's there.

There has been no change in the danger of Myocarditis.

If the Big Ten came out and said something like "We were wrong, it's not the danger we thought it was originally", then fine - at least they'd be honest about it. But coming up with "Well, we have better tests" just does nothing to minimize the risk of it.

I highly suspect this talk of starting on Oct 17 is due almost solely on public backlash against canceling the season in the first place. If it starts in October, "safety of the players" will have taken a back seat.

There seems to be 4 issues as to deciding on B1G football startup. All have been addressed according to recent sports news. They are testing, contact tracing, heart problems, and public perception/politics. Testing is faster now if they implement it. Contact tracing is in place or at least understood. Heart problems were overstated due to erroneous preliminary information that has now been clarified. And the MRI test and doctors can determine whether an individual is at increased risk or not. Finally, since other teams in the north and northeast are playing then public perception/politics has shifted somewhat. We have learned a lot in a month.

I may be wrong but only 9 of 14 need to vote to restart. And Rutgers will apparently approve but may not play as long as they share revenue.

I would like to see B1G football starting around October 17...or some way to allow the B1G to have a playoff on or by December 19. Have to have a champion to send to the national playoffs.

Go IU!
Rutgers will play. President Holloway had concerns with testing and protocols in dealing with the virus. That was his bigger hangup. As long as those issues are addressed, Rutgers is in. Coach Schiano hasn't come out publicly about Rutgers' position, but several HS coaches have said Schiano is telling them they will play. Governor Murphy cleared HS, college, and pro sports to play back in August.

The team that is in the position everyone claims Rutgers is in, is Maryland.

But for all the aspersions being cast RE: them being foolish by postponing too early, they'll REALLY have egg on their faces if they announce a mid-October start, and by the time the B1G starts, the other conferences have shut it down
I disagree. Nobody has a crystal ball with this thing, and nobody was or is certain as to how best to proceed. And I don't believe a shutdown by the ACC, Big 12 and/or SEC four or five weeks into the season would make the Big Ten look bad irrespective of whether we announce a decision to start in October, November or not at all. What would make us look bad is if the ACC, Big 12 and/or SEC have full - or close to full - seasons while the Big Ten takes a pass on 2020.

I disagree. Nobody has a crystal ball with this thing, and nobody was or is certain as to how best to proceed. And I don't believe a shutdown by the ACC, Big 12 and/or SEC four or five weeks into the season would make the Big Ten look bad irrespective of whether we announce a decision to start in October, November or not at all. What would make us look bad is if the ACC, Big 12 and/or SEC have full - or close to full - seasons while the Big Ten takes a pass on 2020.
I don't think we actually disagree to any real extent.

Like, if the other 3 P5 conferences close up shop by Week 5, the B1G looks prescient and made a good, if very risk-averse choice.

It's the Hamlet routine of "will they or won't they" that is a bad look for the conference. Whether they play or not isn't the hill I'm going to choose to die on, but unless something serious with their facts are changing week-to-week, they need to make a decision & stick to it.

If the Big Ten came out and said something like "We were wrong, it's not the danger we thought it was originally", then fine - at least they'd be honest about it. But coming up with "Well, we have better tests" just does nothing to minimize the risk of it.

I highly suspect this talk of starting on Oct 17 is due almost solely on public backlash against canceling the season in the first place. If it starts in October, "safety of the players" will have taken a back seat.
Great post. I believe public backlash is the least of their worries. They have over 1.4 billion reasons to play. Go Hoosiers!

Great post. I believe public backlash is the least of their worries. They have over 1.4 billion reasons to play. Go Hoosiers!
The change is that there is a consensus that with a timely MRI and with doctor review of those results, they can tell who has it and who doesn't after having Coronavirus 19. Playing those players that are cleared is now possible. Protecting the other players from increased risk resulting from heart problems possibly from coronavirus is improved. It was a big deal before the procedure was in place.

Last edited:
From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

"MADISON – For the first time since the Big Ten shut down all fall sports on Aug. 11, sources familiar with the decision have transitioned from hopeful to confident the league’s football teams will play in 2020.

Those sources told the Journal Sentinel they expect the Big Ten’s Council of Presidents and Chancellors will vote to start the season, with the target date Oct. 17.

Sources reiterated that reliable, rapid testing has played a critical role and helped turn the tide in the favor of trying to play this year.

An Oct. 17 start would allow Big Ten teams to play eight games in a nine-week window, with a league title game Dec. 19.

The College Football Playoff field is scheduled to be revealed Dec. 20."

All this to play 8 freaking games.
It’s all so ridiculous,Big Ten screws up everything they try to do,
A 10 game season was bad enough,not sure why they can’t be ready before OCT 17?
They have already been working out,practice for 2 weeks and get this show on the road.

They have already been working out,practice for 2 weeks and get this show on the road.

I might be wrong on this, but I think originally they were going to play 10 games in a 14 week period. Now they are talking about playing 8 games in a 9 week period. So they've lost almost all flexibility.

Testing doesn't stop COVID either. But recognizing either earlier helps tremendously. Again, its like anything else in life. That's like saying "And by the time the MRI says you've torn your Achilles, its there."

The danger most definitely has changed because they can recognize it and know whether or not a player should be returned to the practice field after testing positive for COVID. Some cannot sit out 14 days and just go back.

All this talk on Oct. 17 is taking place because football is being played around the ENTIRE country and yet.....deaths continue to go down. So crazy...

Looks like part of the reason for it taking so long is the following:
#Badgers chancellor Rebecca Blank today during a teleconference when asked about B1G football: "I will say we're all going to move together in the Big Ten. We're all going to play or not if we possibly can. This isn't going to be a school by school thing."
3:53 PM · Sep 14, 2020

as long as they are testing for Myro, i'm not grasping how it impacts the decision on whether to play football or not, unless it's shown that those on the team are significantly more likely to get covid than the general student population is.

currently though, looks like most of both the student population and the team members will have contracted the virus at least once before everybody gets vaccinated.

but of course no one wants to hear that, and only that the miracle vaccine is right around the next turn, there is plenty for everyone, and everyone will take it.

what exactly am i missing here?

is Myro not the same whether covid is contracted through a team member or from anyone else?

with it looking like a yr to multiple yrs minimum before a vaccine happens and everyone takes it, (national news today was saying 2024, since the vaccines require 2 doses a few wks apart), does anyone actually think most young people won't have contracted it already long before the miracle vaccine is ready, tested, and manufactured, let alone given to everyone?

in fact, does anyone actually think most young people won't have already been infected by a yr from now, or even 6 months from now?

we really need to have a national discussion, that for some reason we just aren't having.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13

[/QUOTE

The only thing certain about Covid19 is uncertainty. If you followed ALL of the so called science from start to finish youwould have dug a circular hole in your yard!

Reactions: TMFT
Testing doesn't stop COVID either. But recognizing either earlier helps tremendously. Again, its like anything else in life. That's like saying "And by the time the MRI says you've torn your Achilles, its there."

The danger most definitely has changed because they can recognize it and know whether or not a player should be returned to the practice field after testing positive for COVID. Some cannot sit out 14 days and just go back.

All this talk on Oct. 17 is taking place because football is being played around the ENTIRE country and yet.....deaths continue to go down. So crazy...
Anyone who thinks the Big Ten is going to play football this year because of some improvement in testing is just fooling themselves.

Dollars and embarrassment at others managing to play are what is driving this (potential) decision.

As far as deaths going down, it's all in the data. The virus is not lethal to those in the college age group or, really, anyone younger than 65 without another serious medical issue. The statistics on this have been very stable over the last few months.

Anyone who thinks the Big Ten is going to play football this year because of some improvement in testing is just fooling themselves.

Dollars and embarrassment at others managing to play are what is driving this (potential) decision.

As far as deaths going down, it's all in the data. The virus is not lethal to those in the college age group or, really, anyone younger than 65 without another serious medical issue. The statistics on this have been very stable over the last few months.

there's a dangerous post.

it's not a relative threat to college age individuals, and even those 20 yrs older, but the cutoff for when it is a significant risk is younger than 65.

no reason the kids shouldn't be playing, but older coaches, (say over 50), shouldn't be on the field or in the locker room with them.

they can do what they do from a greater distance.

if a tragedy comes from this, it will be an older coach or staff member.

same with the academic side, the real danger is to older teachers and staff, not the students.

this can be done correctly, both athletically and academically.

it just isn't being done so yet.

and this isn't rocket science, being we know who is at risk and who isn't.

the problem is when the "at risk" adopt a "we play too, or we take our ball and nobody plays" attitude.

the "at risk" need to step aside temporarily, or distance themselves and still be involved, and the schools need to enable them to do so without jeopardizing their situation now and after this is over

Last edited:
Reactions: Lillyr66
For the Big Ten will it require all schools to agree to play or will they move forward with a divided conference?

Your statement is a microcosm of what has been happening all over the world. No one is certain how best to proceed. Countries, governors have tried their own methods, mayors, national chain retailers, and the US government. That's because this is a very unique virus and it keeps progressing at it's own pace. Even countries like Germany and South Korea who had locked it down have seen surges again. The virus is slowing now probably because of the increase in antibodies in the population. We shall see when the weather gets cold.

Reactions: TMFT
For the Big Ten will it require all schools to agree to play or will they move forward with a divided conference?
There's conflicting information about that. Dan Patrick says not all schools will be playing. Wisconsin's chancellor, Rebecca Blank, says it's all or nothing: "This isn't going to be a school by school thing." I would think Blank has more info and insight but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully there's an announcement today.

Anyone that thinks the improvement in testing doesn't play a part in the B1G playing football this year is just fooling themselves.

See...we can both make personal opinions and state them as facts.

I agree with the data. Even though its not accurate, its impossible to be. They have continued to hone it in and its definitely become more accurate as time has gone on. Being that it isn't as dangerous has been known but even so, the # of deaths overall (no matter the age) has gone down. The strength of the virus levels being found in people who test positive have gone down as well.

There's conflicting information about that. Dan Patrick says not all schools will be playing. Wisconsin's chancellor, Rebecca Blank, says it's all or nothing: "This isn't going to be a school by school thing." I would think Blank has more info and insight but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully there's an announcement today.
Only thing I read today of any importance is this from a Rutgers news site:

The Associated Press' Ralph Russo had an interesting nugget on Twitter, writing that “some of these medical plans and protocols are being run by state health officials in the hopes of getting uniformity across the conference where there otherwise might not be.”

Was wondering if this kind of detail was delaying announcement of B1G start in October. And now the rumor is that the PAC 12 might be considering the same kind of start.

Only thing I read today of any importance is this from a Rutgers news site:

The Associated Press' Ralph Russo had an interesting nugget on Twitter, writing that “some of these medical plans and protocols are being run by state health officials in the hopes of getting uniformity across the conference where there otherwise might not be.”

Was wondering if this kind of detail was delaying announcement of B1G start in October. And now the rumor is that the PAC 12 might be considering the same kind of start.
Running things thought the states do give the B1G uniformity and greater access to more resources. I've read individual schools in the Big 12 and the ACC have different protocols from one another. That could be the reason why some schools are experiencing higher numbers, sudden outbreaks, etc.

Money talks and from the day they postponed the season,Ohio State has pushed hard to play this fall.
They think the have a good shot at winning it all this year and they wanna play....BAD.
And they will not let up until the decision to play is made.
Money talks and OSU plenty of it to throw around.

Reactions: DANC
Tired of what? The reason given for canceling the Big Ten season was the heart issuse.

I asked a question - is that not important anymore? If so, what changed? And don't say instant testing - that does nothing for the heart issue.

I'm fine if they want to play. I'm just wondering why the change now.

Chill.

It's a legitimate question, I agree.

I also think that the recovery rate of this age group is a factor. Not just the athletes, but the general student population isn't getting as sick or being hospitalized like maybe we expected or feared.

My nephew plays small college football and 75% of their freshman class showed up positive. It's got another dozen, or so, of them in the following weeks. And nobody has gone to the hospital and all but 1 is back to practice. The one not practicing is still being quarantined and was asymptomatic.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT