ADVERTISEMENT

Biden interview in Atlantic- 3 weeks post Inauguration

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Sounds like he was surprised Trump got so many votes, and maybe a little disheartened by how much traction "The Big Lie" got from people who should know better. I mean even the main proponents of most of these wacky theories have resorted to the "rational people knew I wasn't presenting facts" defense.

“Everybody in the press thought that the party had moved, that I was from another era, that it wasn’t relevant. ‘What the hell are you talking about, “the soul of America”? For Christ’s sake, Joe, talk about global warming,’ or whatever the hell they wanted me to talk about,” Biden said. “But back then, what I saw with Trump was he didn’t understand anything about who we are as a people.” Biden rattled off his objections to Trump: “His transparent selfishness, his willingness to say anything, his overwhelming appeal to prejudice and division. He didn’t have any social redeeming value, as far as I can see.” Biden acknowledged that he had misjudged how many Americans would buy into Trump’s politics, including his eventual claim that the 2020 election was stolen: “I underestimated his ability to take the big lie and turn it into something that was salable.”

Had the Democratic Party been prepared for the 2020 campaign? I asked Biden. No, he replied. Democrats hadn’t appreciated how much of a challenge Trump posed to the fiber of America itself: “The people who built the country are the people who are all being left behind. When that happens, and you don’t have a counter-voice to The reason you lost your job is because of an immigrant; the reason you lost that job is because those Black folks are taking your job—it opens up the door to the Charlottesvilles of the world.” He echoed something that he’d said right after the attack on the Capitol, back when he was still president-elect: “There’s a direct line between Charlottesville and January 6.”

Having a hard time figuring out how Biden can ever gain the support of Trumpites with remarks such as those.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Trumpites do not like to hear truth.
Truth or opinions which are debatable depending on your politics ?

Personally, i find some truth in Biden's observations while still hoping he can help in the political divide which makes our government at the federal level dysfunctional. Call me naive.

Heck, Trump supporters and a good many Pubs see a dysfunctional federal government as acceptable given their control of state governments.

LMAO! As if Biden has ever tried to 'win over' Trump supporters.

You people are living in a fantasy land if you thought Biden was going to bring any kind of unity to America.

How many times does he have to prove he's a dunce and a puppet for you to get it?
He was never going to win over Trumpsters even if he cured cancer, drove unemployment down to 0% and eliminated all crime.

There's nothing he could do to win over a die hard Trumpsters. He's the enemy in your world.

Moderate republicans, yes. Independents, yes.

Extreme Trumpsters, no. That's like converting an evangelical to be pro choice, never will happen no matter what so why waste the time?

Reactions: UncleMark

You people are living in a fantasy land if you thought Biden was going to bring any kind of unity to America.

How many times does he have to prove he's a dunce and a puppet for you to get it?
I don't live in your land of make believe so, this 'dunce' and 'puppet' insults are just dumb playground tactics.

Like I said, you bow to Trump and Biden is Trump's enemy therefore he's your enemy.

Nothing he could do would change that so why GAF?

Speaking of dunce and puppet, how are you doing danc?

He was never going to win over Trumpsters even if he cured cancer, drove unemployment down to 0% and eliminated all crime.

There's nothing he could do to win over a die hard Trumpsters. He's the enemy in your world.

Extreme Trumpsters, no. That's like converting an evangelical to be pro choice, never will happen no matter what so why waste the time?
But he promised to unite the country. So, on his first day, he canceled the pipeline and destroyed thousands of jobs his first day.

Yeah, that really appeals to 'moderate' Republicans and Independents.

You are the one obsessed with Trump, obviously. Get help.

Creepy Joe is a senile lying sack of s***. That has nothing to do with Trump.

Truth or opinions which are debatable depending on your politics ?

Personally, i find some truth in Biden's observations while still hoping he can help in the political divide which makes our government at the federal level dysfunctional. Call me naive.

Heck, Trump supporters and a good many Pubs see a dysfunctional federal government as acceptable given their control of state governments.

Well, Mr. Naive, I agree. There are rumors that two different Senate groups have come up with $1 trillion infrastructure bills. IF so, that is good news for bipartisanship. I'd love to have some areas addressed that clearly won't be in a bipartisan bill, but right now restoring congress' ability to do something (anything) is a bigger issue.

to your last line, there are Republicans who want a dysfunctional federal government simply to reinforce their beliefs. Boehner pretty much wrote about that in his book earlier this year.

Well, Mr. Naive, I agree. There are rumors that two different Senate groups have come up with $1 trillion infrastructure bills. IF so, that is good news for bipartisanship. I'd love to have some areas addressed that clearly won't be in a bipartisan bill, but right now restoring congress' ability to do something (anything) is a bigger issue.

to your last line, there are Republicans who want a dysfunctional federal government simply to reinforce their beliefs. Boehner pretty much wrote about that in his book earlier this year.

Most Americans are in favor of divided government as a general proposition, with good reason.

Divided is one thing, refusing to work together is something else.
Worse than refusing to work together is not even listening to the other side, or being willing to find common ground.

In days gone by, a Howard Baker or Dick Lugar could explain exactly what the other side was proposing and even find some merit in their propositions. Name calling and labeling were simply considered unprofessional.

You are a sad little man.
I guess his name is DAN C (something) since I often see various posters refer to him as "Dan".
But when I say his name out loud (mainly in conversations with myself ;) ), I always refer to him as if it is pronounced DANK. It just always seemed to fit...

Reactions: bigmac76
You are the one obsessed with Trump, obviously. Get help.

Creepy Joe is a senile lying sack of s***. That has nothing to do with Trump.
'Creepy Joe is a lying sack of shit'.

After ~130 days yeah, sounds like you had an open mind with Biden.

I get it, he's Trump's enemy which is my point.

Don't govern to vindictively hurt Trumpsters but you can ignore them in regards to 'winning them over and spending energy trying to unite them'...that's a waste of energy.

Oh Trump wants you to send money directly to him. It's been 18 days and you haven't responded. He's going to assume that you have abandoned him so please donate more now!!!!!

How else are you going to get that senile, evil, lying, stealing, sad sack of shit out of office if you stop donating???

Lol

Worse than refusing to work together is not even listening to the other side, or being willing to find common ground.

In days gone by, a Howard Baker or Dick Lugar could explain exactly what the other side was proposing and even find some merit in their propositions. Name calling and labeling were simply considered unprofessional.

What makes you think he's not listening to 'the other side'?

He never said he would unite the country, he said he would stop playground insulting his political opponents and treat everyone in the arena with dignity.

Changing the political tone is an achievable goal. Listening to both sides is an achievable goal.

Uniting the country is not so understand the groups that will never accept you and let them go off into whatever void they want while you still try to make their lives better from your perspective.

Don't waste any political energy trying to convert them, you'll likely never do that.

Reactions: cosmickid

If what I think I heard on NPR is correct, the Pub proposal isn't as reasonable as it sounded at first. Of the $930B, only $250B is new money, and there is no provision to pay for it.

What makes you think he's not listening to 'the other side'?

He never said he would unite the country, he said he would stop playground insulting his political opponents and treat everyone in the arena with dignity.

Changing the political tone is an achievable goal. Listening to both sides is an achievable goal.

Uniting the country is not so understand the groups that will never accept you and let them go off into whatever void they want while you still try to make their lives better from your perspective.

Don't waste any political energy trying to convert them, you'll likely never do that.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, but Biden DID, in fact say he wanted to "unite the country." In fact, it was the entire theme of his Inaugural Address.

It's a laudable goal but probably not possible at this point.

"To overcome these challenges, to restore the soul and secure the future of America, requires so much more than words. It requires the most elusive of all things in a democracy: Unity. Unity.

In another January, on New Year’s Day 1863, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. When he put pen to paper, the president said, and I quote, “if my name ever goes down into history it will be for this act, and my whole soul is in it.” My whole soul is in it. Today, on this January day, my whole soul is in this. Bringing America together, uniting our people, uniting our nation.
And I ask every American to join me in this cause.

Uniting to fight the foes we face: anger, resentment and hatred, extremism, lawlessness, violence, disease, joblessness and hopelessness. With unity we can do great things, important things. We can right wrongs. We can put people to work in good jobs. We can teach our children in safe schools. We can overcome the deadly virus. We can reward work and rebuild the middle class and make healthcare secure for all. We can deliver racial justice and we can make America once again the leading force for good in the world.

I know speaking of unity can sound to some like a foolish fantasy these days. I know the forces that divide us are deep and they are real.

But I also know they are not new. Our history has been a constant struggle between the American ideal that we all are created equal and the harsh, ugly reality that racism, nativism, fear, demonization have long torn us apart.

The battle is perennial and victory is never assured. Through civil war, the Great Depression, world war, 9/11. Through struggle, sacrifice and setbacks, our better angels have always prevailed.

In each of these moments, enough of us, enough of us, have come together to carry all of us forward. And we can do that now. History, faith and reason show the way, the way of unity. We can see each other not as adversaries but as neighbors. We can treat each other with dignity and respect.

We can join forces, stop the shouting and lower the temperature. For without unity there is no peace, only bitterness and fury. No progress, only exhausting outrage. No nation, only a state of chaos. This is our historic moment of crisis and challenge, and unity is the path forward. And we must meet this moment as the United States of America. If we do that, I guarantee you we will not fail. We have never ever, ever, ever failed in America when we’ve acted together."

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, but Biden DID, in fact say he wanted to "unite the country." In fact, it was the entire theme of his Inaugural Address.

It's a laudable goal but probably not possible at this point.

"To overcome these challenges, to restore the soul and secure the future of America, requires so much more than words. It requires the most elusive of all things in a democracy: Unity. Unity.

In another January, on New Year’s Day 1863, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. When he put pen to paper, the president said, and I quote, “if my name ever goes down into history it will be for this act, and my whole soul is in it.” My whole soul is in it. Today, on this January day, my whole soul is in this. Bringing America together, uniting our people, uniting our nation.
And I ask every American to join me in this cause.

Uniting to fight the foes we face: anger, resentment and hatred, extremism, lawlessness, violence, disease, joblessness and hopelessness. With unity we can do great things, important things. We can right wrongs. We can put people to work in good jobs. We can teach our children in safe schools. We can overcome the deadly virus. We can reward work and rebuild the middle class and make healthcare secure for all. We can deliver racial justice and we can make America once again the leading force for good in the world.

I know speaking of unity can sound to some like a foolish fantasy these days. I know the forces that divide us are deep and they are real.

But I also know they are not new. Our history has been a constant struggle between the American ideal that we all are created equal and the harsh, ugly reality that racism, nativism, fear, demonization have long torn us apart.

The battle is perennial and victory is never assured. Through civil war, the Great Depression, world war, 9/11. Through struggle, sacrifice and setbacks, our better angels have always prevailed.

In each of these moments, enough of us, enough of us, have come together to carry all of us forward. And we can do that now. History, faith and reason show the way, the way of unity. We can see each other not as adversaries but as neighbors. We can treat each other with dignity and respect.

We can join forces, stop the shouting and lower the temperature. For without unity there is no peace, only bitterness and fury. No progress, only exhausting outrage. No nation, only a state of chaos. This is our historic moment of crisis and challenge, and unity is the path forward. And we must meet this moment as the United States of America. If we do that, I guarantee you we will not fail. We have never ever, ever, ever failed in America when we’ve acted together."

I wholeheartedly agree but how do you go about it?

You talk about it, you don't personally insult your political enemy, you listen to the other sides pov and you govern in a way that you believe is best for the country knowing full well you'll likely never be everyone's favorite.

I'm coming at it from a political strategy pov. Biden will likely never convert Trumpers to vote for him.

Similar to where do candidates want to spend campaign funds, it's a waste of energy campaigning in certain counties.

Lincoln was and probably still is hated by some groups of Americans. All he could do is listen and treat them with dignity. He still governed how he thought was best for the country even though it cost him his life.

How would you like to be his life insurance provider while in office?

You talk about it, you don't personally insult your political enemy, you listen to the other sides pov and you govern in a way that you believe is best for the country knowing full well you'll likely never be everyone's favorite.

If the polling is any indication, Biden has unified the country. He personally and the vast majority of his policies are looked at favorably by people of all political persuasions. It's the uber-rigid partisans in the Congress who aren't onboard and are unwilling to work with him, because MAGA. That small minority of activist Republican voters has them terrified.

If what I think I heard on NPR is correct, the Pub proposal isn't as reasonable as it sounded at first. Of the $930B, only $250B is new money, and there is no provision to pay for it.
Yes, it appears they are counting existing spending to get to that number to make it seem they are being more cooperative.

And had Trump done the same which he came closer to than slow Joe has wouldnt have changed you one bit. You live in a world based on hate admit it .

If the polling is any indication, Biden has unified the country. He personally and the vast majority of his policies are looked at favorably by people of all political persuasions. It's the uber-rigid partisans in the Congress who aren't onboard and are unwilling to work with him, because MAGA. That small minority of activist Republican voters has them terrified.
Not only that but GOP members are forced to LIE about supporting a bill they actually voted unanimously against, because they know provisions of the bill are VERY popular with their constituents. I wonder if any copy of this list will get leaked?...

Probably won't matter in Red states/districts. But in purple districts where Trump is a liability?

Reactions: UncleMark
'Creepy Joe is a lying sack of shit'.

After ~130 days yeah, sounds like you had an open mind with Biden.

I get it, he's Trump's enemy which is my point.

Don't govern to vindictively hurt Trumpsters but you can ignore them in regards to 'winning them over and spending energy trying to unite them'...that's a waste of energy.

Oh Trump wants you to send money directly to him. It's been 18 days and you haven't responded. He's going to assume that you have abandoned him so please donate more now!!!!!

How else are you going to get that senile, evil, lying, stealing, sad sack of shit out of office if you stop donating???

Lol

So you respond with another post about Trump. You are a sorry piece of work.

So you respond with another post about Trump. You are a sorry piece of work.

Eh kind of, it's more about Trumpers who echo his mad grievance style. Some without realizing he's playing you, roiling you up and then asking for money. Sure that's a political trick that goes back to the beginning of time, he's just turbo charged it.

Be careful of wicked Nancy Pelosi, she's coming for you! That Fauci character, sure you never heard of him before last year but he's got an evil, diabolical plot that needs to be stopped. He is the ENEMY!!! Donate now!!!!

Those that trust and follow Trump will never unite with an old sleepy, pedophile puppet of the radical left (even though he beat the radical left in the primary but watch out, that was just a Trojan horse to fool you. Donate to stop these evil people now!!!).

Seriously man? Where do you see this? Biden has unified anything?

Eh kind of, it's more about Trumpers who echo his mad grievance style. Some without realizing he's playing you, roiling you up and then asking for money. Sure that's a political trick that goes back to the beginning of time, he's just turbo charged it.

Be careful of wicked Nancy Pelosi, she's coming for you! That Fauci character, sure you never heard of him before last year but he's got an evil, diabolical plot that needs to be stopped. He is the ENEMY!!! Donate now!!!!

Those that trust and follow Trump will never unite with an old sleepy, pedophile puppet of the radical left (even though he beat the radical left in the primary but watch out, that was just a Trojan horse to fool you. Donate to stop these evil people now!!!).
Do you take drugs?

Something democrats didn't do with Senator Scott on police reform even offering to allow amendments the dems could have.
Scott sounded optimistic two days ago, see below. The hangup that is tough is qualified immunity. The Ds want a lot of change and the Rs want none. That middle ground is not easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT