ADVERTISEMENT

Biden denied communion...

Bulk VanderHuge

Hall of Famer
Dec 20, 2017
The Southern Sun
at Catholic Church in S. Carolina.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/poli...ion-south-carolina-catholic-church/index.html

I may have missed it in the story, but under what circumstances would a priest be reporting this to journalists? In the story, they mentioned the John Kerry situation, which I remember, but I guess I just don't understand (or didn't read the reason) why a priest would be running to the news with this. I apologize if the answer is obvious.

Reactions: baileyiu
I may have missed it in the story, but under what circumstances would a priest be reporting this to journalists? In the story, they mentioned the John Kerry situation, which I remember, but I guess I just don't understand (or didn't read the reason) why a priest would be running to the news with this. I apologize if the answer is obvious.
Because he's a douche?

To be fair, perhaps the news was tipped off by someone else and he was just responding to their inquiry.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/poli...ion-south-carolina-catholic-church/index.html

Wait a minute -- are you trying to tell me that a priest in the home state of Strom Thurmond, I mean, Lindsey Graham, may have released some private religious information in order to embarrass the Democrat frontrunner?

South Carolina is a thoroughly Red State and there's no reason to think this priest doesn't thoroughly live there.

Because he's a douche?

To be fair, perhaps the news was tipped off by someone else and he was just responding to their inquiry.

Wouldn't a more appropriate response be "That's none of your business"?
It seems that in the arena that includes the concept of priest/penitent confidentiality (I know it doesn't apply here), and a church that is awfully hush-hush in regards to the pedophile priests tragedy, someone is being extremely tone-deaf, at the very least. How about using even a fraction of the same level of discretion that seemed to be the norm when reassigning clergy who had molested young children. I don't know, I guess I'm crazy.

Wouldn't a more appropriate response be "That's none of your business"?
It seems that in the arena that includes the concept of priest/penitent confidentiality (I know it doesn't apply here), and a church that is awfully hush-hush in regards to the pedophile priests tragedy, someone is being extremely tone-deaf, at the very least. How about using even a fraction of the same level of discretion that seemed to be the norm when reassigning clergy who had molested young children. I don't know, I guess I'm crazy.
No argument at all. It does seem the priest had a point he was determined to make publicly when he had the opportunity. Maybe not a total douche, but definitely dickish.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I would suspect this priest daily serves the sacrament of communion to Catholics who may not be completely eligible according to church tenets.

Selecting Biden out of the crowd does make me wonder why?

I would suspect this priest daily serves the sacrament of communion to Catholics who may not be completely eligible according to church tenets.

Some may even have used some form of contraception!

Reactions: hoot1

The possibility of some "Catholics ... may not be eligible according to Church tenets" probably isn't the same as an actual Catholic pronouncing a moral position, publicly, that isn't aligned with Church tenets.

Yeah, you're right. I bet that guy has served plenty of communion cups to people who screwed out of wedlock or sent their 13-year-old daughters somewhere for a "procedure."

Yeah, you're right. I bet that guy has served plenty of communion cups to people who screwed out of wedlock or sent their 13-year-old daughters somewhere for a "procedure."

Does anyone know when/if the priests guilty of molesting were denied communion?

Well, the catholic church is a cesspool of corruption and shyte, it is S.Carolina, which is mindless in support of a pathological lying huckster...seems like a perfect marriage of ignorance to me.

These people just like Biden must face a higher power after death according to many faiths. A higher power than the South Carolina priest who has chosen to speak for both The Church and the teachings of The Higher Power.

As to Biden, he represents people who don't agree with the tenets of his church and has chosen not to dictate his beliefs on others. Whether he follows those tenets on a personal basis doesn't seem to be in question here.

These people just like Biden must face a higher power after death according to many faiths. A higher power than the South Carolina priest who has chosen to speak for both The Church and the teachings of The Higher Power.

As to Biden, he represents people who don't agree with the tenets of his church and has chosen not to dictate his beliefs on others. Whether he follows those tenets on a personal basis doesn't seem to be in question here.
How about you? Do you (1) oppose the use of rubbers or birth control pills, and (2) speak out affirmatively when you learn that your friends, acquaintances, relatives and /or their children use those things?

Let he who is without sin throw out the first rubber.

Reactions: hoot1
IANACL*, but...

To really understand this story, you have to ask a couple of questions that no one here has thought of, yet. First, why might someone be ineligible to receive communion in the first place, and second, when should a priest who has this knowledge act on it by actually denying communion?

The answer to the first one is that there are several reasons. For example, I'm ineligible because I'm not baptized. Marvin is ineligible because, even though baptized, he's not a Catholic. Others are ineligible if they have been formally excommunicated. Others are ineligible if they are aware that they are not in a state of grace because of unrepented mortal sin. In other words, there are quite a few people who are not technically eligible. The particular reason that might apply to pro-choice politicians is this: one is ineligible if they persist in manifest grave sin. This means that they hard-headedly continue, knowingly, in grave sin that is generally known to the public.

To answer the second question, you first need to understand the purpose of preventing someone from taking communion. The church teaches that someone who is not properly disposed to partake does not receive the benefits of the eucharist, but in fact the act is spiritually detrimental and dangerous to them. Knowingly taking communion while not eligible is itself a mortal sin. Denial of communion would not be intended as a punishment of some kind, but rather as a form of spiritual protection of the sinner; someone who conditions himself to accept the sacrament while not in a state of grace may eventually convince himself that he has no reason to correct his sin, and continue obstinately in it indefinitely, perhaps even to the loss of his own salvation.

Because of all this, in the vast majority of cases, the decision is left to the communicant. The priest may not deny communion, even if he has knowledge that someone is ineligible. The thinking behind this is that only God knows whether or not someone is in a state of grace, but after God, the person most likely to know the state of his soul is the sinner himself. A priest, for example, may know that a woman has gotten an abortion, but he may not know if she has repented shortly before approaching. If she has, then the priest is doing her a grave wrong in denying her communion. Nor should a priest, through denying communion, publicize a sin that was previously private, thus causing a scandal. Therefore, in most cases, a priest does not have the authority to deny communion to someone, even if that priest knows the person is ineligible.

An exception to this general rule, though, and the reason it's a problem for politicians, is when the ineligibility is known. In this case, there is no longer a concern that publicizing the sin might cause a scandal. Just the opposite, in fact; allowing the person to take communion may itself cause a scandal.

The public knowledge of the sin changes everything. A priest must administer to someone who has been automatically (by action of canon law), but not publicly, excommunicated. But he cannot administer to someone who has been publicly excommunicated by a proper church authority. Similarly, while a priest cannot expose private sins through public denial of communion, he must deny communion in those cases where the grave sin is "manifest," i.e., widely known.

It is this last exception that may or may not apply to Biden. The Vatican has said that politicians who continually support permissive abortion policy without repentance are in a state of grave sin, and their pastor should privately point out to them the error of their ways, and if they refuse to change, then, and only then, communion should be denied. However, the USCCB has said - and the Vatican has agreed that their interpretation is valid - that each politician must be examined on a case-by-case basis, and the decision left up to the prudence of the individual bishop as to whether a particular politician's policy views and acts constitute manifest grave sin, therefore requiring private reproof followed by public denial if the reproof fails to gain repentance. They also left it to each individual bishop to determine whether it is even appropriate to use this pastoral tool when the only potential sin is one of an immoral political ideology. A majority of United States bishops do not allow denial of communion for this particular reason within their diocese.

The SC priest is therefore on shaky ground if he did not know for a fact that 1) Biden was already privately rebuked and refused to change his ways, and 2) that Biden's bishop determined that Biden was, in fact, continuing in manifest grave sin, and 3) that the priest's own Bishop is one of the bishops who permits denial in these particular cases in his diocese. I assume he has #3 covered, but the first two might be iffy.

Edited to add: The fact that the priest responded to an inquiry about this with anything other than "That's a private pastoral matter, and I'm not going to talk about it" doesn't speak well to the priest's motives, IMHO.

Edited to add more: I didn't realize that Biden's own bishop had already ruled in 2008 that he was ineligible. With that new knowledge, it appears the priest in question here was on legally solid ground, his sketchy response to the media on the matter notwithstanding.

* I Am Not A Canon Lawyer

Last edited:
IANACL*, but...

To really understand this story, you have to ask a couple of questions that no one here has thought of, yet. First, why might someone be ineligible to receive communion in the first place, and second, when should a priest who has this knowledge act on it by actually denying communion?

The answer to the first one is that there are several reasons. For example, I'm ineligible because I'm not baptized. Marvin is ineligible because, even though baptized, he's not a Catholic. Others are ineligible if they have been formally excommunicated. Others are ineligible if they are aware that they are not in a state of grace because of unrepented mortal sin. In other words, there are quite a few people who are not technically eligible. The particular reason that might apply to pro-choice politicians is this: one is ineligible if they persist in manifest grave sin. This means that they hard-headedly continue, knowingly, in grave sin that is generally known to the public.

To answer the second question, you first need to understand the purpose of preventing someone from taking communion. The church teaches that someone who is not properly disposed to partake does not receive the benefits of the eucharist, but in fact the act is spiritually detrimental and dangerous to them. Knowingly taking communion while not eligible is itself a mortal sin. Denial of communion would not be intended as a punishment of some kind, but rather as a form of spiritual protection of the sinner; someone who conditions himself to accept the sacrament while not in a state of grace may eventually convince himself that he has no reason to correct his sin, and continue obstinately in it indefinitely, perhaps even to the loss of his own salvation.

Because of all this, in the vast majority of cases, the decision is left to the communicant. The priest may not deny communion, even if he has knowledge that someone is ineligible. The thinking behind this is that only God knows whether or not someone is in a state of grace, but after God, the person most likely to know the state of his soul is the sinner himself. A priest, for example, may know that a woman has gotten an abortion, but he may not know if she has repented shortly before approaching. If she has, then the priest is doing her a grave wrong in denying her communion. Nor should a priest, through denying communion, publicize a sin that was previously private, thus causing a scandal. Therefore, in most cases, a priest does not have the authority to deny communion to someone, even if that priest knows the person is ineligible.

An exception to this general rule, though, and the reason it's a problem for politicians, is when the ineligibility is known. In this case, there is no longer a concern that publicizing the sin might cause a scandal. Just the opposite, in fact; allowing the person to take communion may itself cause a scandal.

The public knowledge of the sin changes everything. A priest must administer to someone who has been automatically (by action of canon law), but not publicly, excommunicated. But he cannot administer to someone who has been publicly excommunicated by a proper church authority. Similarly, while a priest cannot expose private sins through public denial of communion, he must deny communion in those cases where the grave sin is "manifest," i.e., widely known.

It is this last exception that may or may not apply to Biden. The Vatican has said that politicians who continually support permissive abortion policy without repentance are in a state of grave sin, and their pastor should privately point out to them the error of their ways, and if they refuse to change, then, and only then, communion should be denied. However, the USCCB has said - and the Vatican has agreed that their interpretation is valid - that each politician must be examined on a case-by-case basis, and the decision left up to the prudence of the individual bishop as to whether a particular politician's policy views and acts constitute manifest grave sin, therefore requiring private reproof followed by public denial if the reproof fails to gain repentance. They also left it to each individual bishop to determine whether it is even appropriate to use this pastoral tool when the only potential sin is one of an immoral political ideology. A majority of United States bishops do not allow denial of communion for this particular reason within their diocese.

The SC priest is therefore on shaky ground if he did not know for a fact that 1) Biden was already privately rebuked and refused to change his ways, and 2) that Biden's bishop determined that Biden was, in fact, continuing in manifest grave sin, and 3) that the priest's own Bishop is one of the bishops who permits denial in these particular cases in his diocese. I assume he has #3 covered, but the first two might be iffy.

Edited to add: The fact that the priest responded to an inquiry about this with anything other than "That's a private pastoral matter, and I'm not going to talk about it" doesn't speak well to the priest's motives, IMHO.

I think you just made a solid case for Martin Luther, although unintentional. Interesting dissection, Goat.

IANACL*, but...

Edited to add more: I didn't realize that Biden's own bishop had already ruled in 2008 that he was ineligible. With that new knowledge, it appears the priest in question here was on legally solid ground, his sketchy response to the media on the matter notwithstanding.

Great explanation. As a former Catholic, who has been divorced and remarried (and thus doesn't take Communion, by my choosing), your analysis was spot on.

The possibility of some "Catholics ... may not be eligible according to Church tenets" probably isn't the same as an actual Catholic pronouncing a moral position, publicly, that isn't aligned with Church tenets.
This has been threatened against other Catholic politicians. Most of the time they go ahead and give them communion. Politics and religion need to be kept separate even if you support a disgusting practice like abortion. A priest isn't God.

The United Methodist Church brought charges against Jeff Sessions while he was AG for supporting immigration policies. I sent a message to our pastor, DS, and bishop that I would resign as trustee president and leave the church if they removed a member from the church for his political views. They dropped all of their charges against Sessions, but it still pisses me off they tried to get into politics.

This has been threatened against other Catholic politicians. Most of the time they go ahead and give them communion. Politics and religion need to be kept separate even if you support a disgusting practice like abortion. A priest isn't God.

The United Methodist Church brought charges against Jeff Sessions while he was AG for supporting immigration policies. I sent a message to our pastor, DS, and bishop that I would resign as trustee president and leave the church if they removed a member from the church for his political views. They dropped all of their charges against Sessions, but it still pisses me off they tried to get into politics.
What if you support a disgusting so called president? The one that has probably paid god multiple abortions , but now pretends to be against them to rally his base?

Did they reply to your letter in support of resignation? ;)

The family separation policy was/is unacceptable. Nevertheless, AG Sessions might have avoided the charges if he hadn't cited St. Paul's Letter to the Romans during the discussion of immigration policy. With the charges against him, however, there were suddenly UMC liberals having a new-found passion for Church polity and adherence to the Book of Discipline. That would've been refreshing, if not for the obvious juxtaposition with their 50-year effort to flout the same UMC Book of Discipline and it's rules for ordainment and marriage.

Did they reply to your letter in support of resignation? ;)

The family separation policy was/is unacceptable. Nevertheless, AG Sessions might have avoided the charges if he hadn't cited St. Paul's Letter to the Romans during the discussion of immigration policy. With the charges against him, however, there were suddenly UMC liberals having a new-found passion for Church polity and adherence to the Book of Discipline. That would've been refreshing, if not for the obvious juxtaposition with their 50-year effort to flout the same UMC Book of Discipline and it's rules for ordainment and marriage.
The vote this summer could not have gone any other way with the UMC churches in Africa. Under their laws, they could be arrested for performing homosexual marriages. They would either have to go against the church or risk being arrested. Without the African churches, the measure would have passed.

Our pastor came back distraught. I didn't see how it was going to pass unless the African churches split from the UMC. The answer, and I don't know why it wasn't chosen, was to let each church decide for themselves.

The vote this summer could not have gone any other way with the UMC churches in Africa. Under their laws, they could be arrested for performing homosexual marriages. They would either have to go against the church or risk being arrested. Without the African churches, the measure would have passed.

Our pastor came back distraught. I didn't see how it was going to pass unless the African churches split from the UMC. The answer, and I don't know why it wasn't chosen, was to let each church decide for themselves.

70% of African Methodists are in countries where homosexuality is legal. Besides, the GC delegate votes are confidential. The answer why OCP wasn't passed at GC 2019 may reside in recent history. Episcopal and Presbyterian churches have lost parishioners at an alarming rate--25%--since both passed their own versions of the local option on same-sex marriage and ordainment in the last 15 years. UCC has lost 50% from it's peak and ELCA has lost 1MM members over the last 10 years. Feel-good, heterodox gospel is hollowing out mainline Protestant churches.

Update:

US bishops having been looking at moving toward a more aggressive stance and making it a policy to deny communion to known pro-choice politicians. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in the Vatican is telling them to slow down:

Basically, the Vatican is saying we should not weaponize the sacraments, and reminding us all that, while abortion is front and center in America, it is by no means the only grave matter of moral teaching in the church.

Update:

US bishops having been looking at moving toward a more aggressive stance and making it a policy to deny communion to known pro-choice politicians. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in the Vatican is telling them to slow down:

Basically, the Vatican is saying we should not weaponize the sacraments, and reminding us all that, while abortion is front and center in America, it is by no means the only grave matter of moral teaching in the church.
I grew up Lutheran, but went to a Catholic high school. First day, freshman year, I took Communion. No one stopped me and I just followed what everyone else did (make your left hand a throne for the right, and say “Amen” - that’s about it). Even had the Sacramental wine. When I got home mom asked me how school was. I told her about the Mass and Communion. She literally gasped, and was certain I would be expelled. She called the principal (Father O) the next morning and told him. Father O told my mom everything was OK. If I was comfortable taking Communion they had no problem allowing me to do so.

To this day, I greatly appreciate the school’s position and consider myself “half Catholic.”

Update:

The Catholic Church is hellbent on losing members.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The Catholic Church is hellbent on losing members.
It’s a shame. I had 12 years of catholic school. All the traditions and ceremonies of church and school were a wonderful part of my childhood. I sent my kid public; in part bc the resources in our district blow away the catholic schools, but also in part bc of the church’s bs. Again it’s a shame. She’s missed out on a lot that can’t be replicated in going on sundays

It’s a shame. I had 12 years of catholic school. All the traditions and ceremonies of church and school were a wonderful part of my childhood. I sent my kid public; in part bc the resources in our district blow away the catholic schools, but also in part bc of the church’s bs. Again it’s a shame. She’s missed out on a lot that can’t be replicated in going on sundays

Catholic schools are much superior to the public schools in my area. Chicken or egg thing though.... could be based upon the type of parents that want to pay private school tuition.

Catholic schools are much superior to the public schools in my area. Chicken or egg thing though.... could be based upon the type of parents that want to pay private school tuition.
for sure. depends on the district and the particular catholic school. we have some excellent catholic high schools but they're $20,000 a year. That's more than mizzou. Two kids k-12 Catholic can reach $250k. Two kids private/catholic from k through college could easily run $750k. You can go public and get a great Ed for a fraction of that

Last edited:
I’ve not a cradle Catholic but my general sense before becoming Catholic was that Catholics were more left of center as a group. However my experience around central Indiana has been that they are pretty far right on the spectrum. We left one parish because it was more Fox News than church.

I’ve not a cradle Catholic but my general sense before becoming Catholic was that Catholics were more left of center as a group. However my experience around central Indiana has been that they are pretty far right on the spectrum. We left one parish because it was more Fox News than church.
Don't you think it typically reflects the community in which the Parrish is physically located? For example, while American Catholics as a whole might be a little left of center, that would not be true of a Parrish in, say, Carmel?

Don't you think it typically reflects the community in which the Parrish is physically located? For example, while American Catholics as a whole might be a little left of center, that would not be true of a Parrish in, say, Carmel?
I would think that has to factor in. However, like the communion debate, there do seem to be more Catholic leaders coming out with pretty political statements. And most tend to fall to the right.

I would think that has to factor in. However, like the communion debate, there do seem to be more Catholic leaders coming out with pretty political statements. And most tend to fall to the right.
I'm not sure about "most." Except for abortion, Catholic Social Teaching is historically and decidedly left-leaning. So are the gospels.

Also, Cardinal Gregory of DC has announced that Biden is free to receive communion throughout the Archdiocese of Washington.

Catholics are as politically diverse as the population at- large. I think the catholic vote was split literally 50/50 in 2020, so on that basis the voting bloc is probably ever so slightly right of the general voting pop.

Within 5 miles of my house there are probably ten parishes.....and they run anywhere from fairly strongly conservative to fairly aggressively progressive.

Several years ago a Catholic attorney friend of mine worked with a group to prepare a Constitutional Amendment making the unborn a person subject to Constitutional protection..

The group presented their effort to a Catholic Bishop who surprised them by not encouraging them. The Bishop took the position that abortion was a moral issue subject to church doctrine and not an issue to be decided in the public arena. In other words, Catholics should look to their church as their authority in matters of morality.

Consistent with the above, should a Catholic politician such as Biden with constituents who don't look to his church for moral decisions follow the dictates of his church, or represent the majority in matters of controversial morality?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT