ADVERTISEMENT

Biden and the border

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019

the images coming from these poor folks in squalor under a bridge are distressing. i read that cbp is now apprehending 200,000 people a month. that's a shit ton of people. same time last year under trump was 1/4 as many. i'm not up to speed on border stuff. for those who are what's the story here? this seems to be dragging on w/o resolution. thoughts?

the images coming from these poor folks in squalor under a bridge are distressing. i read that cbp is now apprehending 200,000 people a month. that's a shit ton of people. same time last year under trump was 1/4 as many. i'm not up to speed on border stuff. for those who are what's the story here? this seems to be dragging on w/o resolution. thoughts?
Resolution? From the Biden Administration? Ain't gonna happen.

Mo' voters! Mo' voters! Mo' voters!

There are like 10 million open jobs. That might have something to do with it?
You think. I have no idea. Or is it they think Dems will be more sympathetic and they've got a better chance than under trump. It's a marked difference in numbers.

Or is it they think Dems will be more sympathetic and they've got a better chance than under trump.
I wonder where they would get that idea? OH, maybe it was during the DNC campaign rallies that were IN MEXICO? Err'body knows you take your message to your customer.

Reactions: DANC
Apparently Biden is a lot better at catching them or maybe not as many immigrants wanted to be in a country led by Trump ;)

Reactions: mrhighlife
Maybe one of them can be our next president. They could certainly do a better job than our current dictator and horrible human being, Gestapo joe.

My general construction buddy will be pleased once they get across the border and start hanging out at the corner taco shop in the mornings. He can pick up cheap labor at less than minimum wage and pay them cash by the day.

You think. I have no idea. Or is it they think Dems will be more sympathetic and they've got a better chance than under trump. It's a marked difference in numbers.
Bit of both maybe? The giant sucking sound you hear though is our economy looking for workers. It will find them somewhere.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Bit of both maybe? The giant sucking sound you hear though is our economy looking for workers. It will find them somewhere.
And the dirty secret is the a lot of the 10 million jobs available are for doing things no one here wants to do.

it's a crazy number. by year end it'll be the equivalent of the population of the 4/5th largest city in america

DNC's GOTV.

This thread should read "Congress and the border".

Until Congress steps up to the plate with a bill which satisfies both Republicans and Democrats, immigration will remain a political football . A loaded political football tossed back and forth between each new administration.

Rather than resolve the immigration issue, both parties prefer to take turns throwing rocks at whomever is in the Oval Office.

same time last year under trump was 1/4 as many.
I would not use data from 2020 for any kind of analysis. Coronavirus was such a huge world-level event that I don't think using data / trends from that time period should be used without additional context.

Now, I'm willing to bet that if you used 2019 data, it would be a similar increase, and I think using those numbers would be a better indicator, but I don't have those numbers in front of me.

P

Until Congress steps up to the plate with a bill which satisfies both Republicans and Democrats, immigration will remain a political football . A loaded political football tossed back and forth between each new administration.

Rather than resolve the immigration issue, both parties prefer to take turns throwing rocks at whomever is in the Oval Office.
The last occupant of the Oval Office seemed to have a better control of it. Congress has passed the laws, the problem arises when we have an executive in charge who doesn't want to enforce them. Like we have now. When we had one who did, we made deals with Mexico to help block them and we deterred some of them from coming with messaging and word of mouth from those who were sent back or never allowed in to begin with.

We have the border doing exactly what whomever is pulling Joe's strings wants it to do.

P

The last occupant of the Oval Office seemed to have a better control of it. Congress has passed the laws, the problem arises when we have an executive in charge who doesn't want to enforce them. Like we have now. When we had one who did, we made deals with Mexico to help block them and we deterred some of them from coming with messaging and word of mouth from those who were sent back or never allowed in to begin with.

We have the border doing exactly what whomever is pulling Joe's strings wants it to do.
According to this, Congress hasn't passed a major immigration law since 2006.

According to this, Congress hasn't passed a major immigration law since 2006.
Not to be snarky, but...so? There are laws on the books. We have people who say that they don't agree with them but they are afraid to make a change because votes. And that is true for each party. On one hand the Democrats would probably like a much more liberally open policy on the border than the public at large. It is easier for them to just kind of ignore the law when they run the executive and let in as many as they can. It is the whole "Democrats are not for open borders" that people on the left bring up. They are however in favor of the most lax border and immigration enforcement as is possible for them to get away with.

On the other hand, the GOP are whores for Corporate America, who loves them some cheap labor. Problem is, the people who vote for the GOP want a stricter control of the border and more say so on who comes in. So they aren't really interested in wading into that pool. They just kind of let things go and then use the border as red meat.

All that being said, they do already have enforceable laws on the books. All one need do to start getting the border under control is to enforce the rules as they exist. Trump was attempting to do that and was having success. Bush, Obama, and Biden were/are not as interested. And the people trying to get here know what our unofficial policy on the border is and they react accordingly. Officially, we got laws. Unofficially, get here while you can and get grandfathered in for that next amnesty. That's Joe's handler's policy.

it's a crazy number. by year end it'll be the equivalent of the population of the 4/5th largest city in america
That is an insane number of people. Any estimates on what percentage of people border patrol catches vs. get through?

That is an insane number of people. Any estimates on what percentage of people border patrol catches vs. get through?
Considering that it is reported that the Cartels are organizing this, and they've had ~40-50 years to learn different diversions to get their product across the boarder, where would you guess the # to be?

Not to be snarky, but...so? There are laws on the books. We have people who say that they don't agree with them but they are afraid to make a change because votes. And that is true for each party. On one hand the Democrats would probably like a much more liberally open policy on the border than the public at large. It is easier for them to just kind of ignore the law when they run the executive and let in as many as they can. It is the whole "Democrats are not for open borders" that people on the left bring up. They are however in favor of the most lax border and immigration enforcement as is possible for them to get away with.

On the other hand, the GOP are whores for Corporate America, who loves them some cheap labor. Problem is, the people who vote for the GOP want a stricter control of the border and more say so on who comes in. So they aren't really interested in wading into that pool. They just kind of let things go and then use the border as red meat.

All that being said, they do already have enforceable laws on the books. All one need do to start getting the border under control is to enforce the rules as they exist. Trump was attempting to do that and was having success. Bush, Obama, and Biden were/are not as interested. And the people trying to get here know what our unofficial policy on the border is and they react accordingly. Officially, we got laws. Unofficially, get here while you can and get grandfathered in for that next amnesty. That's Joe's handler's policy.
IMO, Craze, it isn't all that complicated.

We need immigrants to fill the void of having a low birth rate.

However, Republicans fear by allowing the "wrong immigrants" the end result will be increasing the number of future citizens who will vote for Democrats.

I don't see this necessarily as happening. [You should keep in mind when you read this that in my days as an active Republican, i felt the party could do more to attract minorities and union workers].

My general construction buddy will be pleased once they get across the border and start hanging out at the corner taco shop in the mornings. He can pick up cheap labor at less than minimum wage and pay them cash by the day.

Let me guess, he is pro-border security?
P

The same occupant who knowingly hired illegals and repaired 12 miles of fence?

Here's a really simple solution. 10 years in the slammer for any CEO whose corporation hires an illegal knowingly or unknowingly. Illegal immigration will stop overnight. Won't happen. The uniparty is owned by corporate America.

We don’t need a bill. We have immigration laws the Biden and the Democrats don’t like, so they don’t enforce it or apply it. Why have more laws that the Biden administration could ignore. The only legal issue is what to do with all the illegals who are here now. Just cuz we don’t deport all the illegals doesn’t mean congress needs to resolve that problem.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT