ADVERTISEMENT

Best Three College Bball Color Commentators

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
Good news - we get Bardo tonight and not Hummel. These are my top 3 color commentators in the game.

1. Jay Bilas

2. Steven Bardo

3. Jay Wright

Reactions: birdforbogey
Good news - we get Bardo tonight and not Hummel. These are my top 3 color commentators in the game.

1. Jay Bilas

2. Steven Bardo

3. Jay Wright

I like Bilas and Wright, Bardo? Not as much. Gets words mixed up and mixes in too much of his own opinion and experiences for me. I like Hummel and think he does a better job of not sounding like a former PU player commenting on other B10 programs and staying objective. You never forget where Bardo went to school and that seems to seep into much of his opinion and comments. Plus, good player, but was he all that? Whoever he's with always describes him as the "Great Steven Bardo". I always think of him in tandem with Nick Anderson and basically the defensive presence on those teams. Anderson was more complete and accomplished as a player, imo. Feel like I hear the "Great Steven Bardo" 5X per broadcast, and rarely hear that with Shon Morris or Hummel. My rank for those guys would be: 1) Hummel, 2) Morris, 3) Bardo.

bill-walton.gif

Hunmel at times will sound a lot like Troy Aikman. Similar delivery and style.
Hummel sounds like Bilas to me

Bardo used to love Rutgers a few years ago but hasn't been doing our games barely ever recently and seems less complimentary but I like him a lot

He also had an epic rant about the B1G screwing our former center Myles Johnson

I like all 3 of: Hummel, Morris and Bardo in no particular order. Much better than Settles or Butch.

At least we know you can see color.. congrats on making THE most idiotic post of the night.
I’ve been contemplating putting putting that idiomatic alcoholic on ignore for a while, and this comment finally pushed me to the edge. I was trying to recall the last time he posted some thing that I thought was interesting and I can’t remember it so I probably won’t miss any of his contributions.

I’ve been contemplating putting putting that idiomatic alcoholic on ignore for a while, and this comment finally pushed me to the edge. I was trying to recall the last time he posted some thing that I thought was interesting and I can’t remember it so I probably won’t miss any of his contributions.
for some reason the mods seem to enjoy his drivel

1. Jay Bilas

2. Steven Bardo

3. Jay Wright

of this group. Bilas is pretty good, he's an attorney and very intelligent.
I am a fan of Robbie Hummel and Jess Settles. They come from two different eras of B1G basketball and I think do a great job.
Raftery is my favorite because he can add great analysis and is entertaining.
Barkley is my favorite in studio because he is funny as hell.

Last edited:
Bilas is pretty good, he's an attorney and very intelligent.
I am a fan of Robbie Hummel and Jess Settles. They come from two different eras of B1G basketball and I think do a great job.
I am a huge fan of Hummel. If he's boring to some, it's only because he is so analytical. If you are a student of the game, you really can appreciate how well he understands the technical aspects. The same is true with Jay Wright. It's easy to see why Wright was such an outstanding coach and why Hummel probably would be if he chose that career path. For my money, the entertainment should be reserved for the play-by-play folks. Color commentators are to educate and inform.

In contrast, guys like Crean and Lavin are terrible color guys. Every time either of those guys opens his mouth to babble or spew cliche's, it becomes obvious why both were terrible coaches. Their lack of ability to really explain what happened on a particular play reveals their lack of any thorough understanding of the finer points of basketball, and thus their lack of coaching acumen.

1. Jay Bilas

2. Steven Bardo

3. Jay Wright

1. Robbie Hummel- I don't think it's close. He is the only one that actually tells you when the ref's blow it. Great analysis.

2, Bill Raftery- Pure entertainment value. He loves the game and is very entertaining.

3, A lot are close here. I like Jimmy Dykes, Jess Settles, and haven't hear enough of Jay Wright.

1. Robbie Hummel- I don't think it's close. He is the only one that actually tells you when the ref's blow it. Great analysis.

2, Bill Raftery- Pure entertainment value. He loves the game and is very entertaining.

3, A lot are close here. I like Jimmy Dykes, Jess Settles, and haven't hear enough of Jay Wright.
Loathe pU but Hummel is the consummate professional. Calm, knowledgeable, engaged and objective. Stays forcused on the game, understands it and communicates clearly.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Honestly, when Dakich would get into dissecting actual game stuff or strategy, I thought he was really, really good, but then he could get on a tangent and become almost Waltonesque.
I thought Dakich was great at CC. Solid basketball insights, said enough weird stuff to be entertaining but didn't detract from the game.

Reactions: ulrey and .Gerdis
I like Kevin Harlan ..Basically any sport he does..
No one throws as much energy and good adjectives in a game..
By far my favorite for pro game's..
Mike Brey is ok...He does a bunch of national NBA games..And the Finals..
He and Clyde Frazier are the Knicks play by play guy's..

Reactions: Easton West
I know many people like Hummel, but he is so boring to me.
I think Hummel does a very good objective job.
Bardo lets a little prejudice creep in.
morris does a pretty good job as well.
also like Gus and hate listening to Vitaile

Reactions: Jim Coyle
Bardo was awesome last night.

I cannot believe anyone like Jimmy Dykes. He is horrible.
I agree. I can’t stand Jimmy Dykes. He is so UK biased. Makes every UK game he does seem like it’s a UK network, and he does a ton of them.

I agree. I can’t stand Jimmy Dykes. He is so UK biased. Makes every UK game he does seem like it’s a UK network, and he does a ton of them.
Hummel's vocabulary and unbiased presentation is far superior to Bardo's. Settles can elaborate on Indiana high school basketball and Bob Knight and he is comfortable on his farm driving his John Deere tractor. The only reason Dakich isn't doing college basketball for ESPN was his poor judgement at the Fan. His on court demonstrations at half time were educational and entertaining. Hence:

Hummel
Dakich
Settles

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT