ADVERTISEMENT

Best IU team ever?

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
I know next to nothing about Bo McMillin's 1945 undefeated team other than it featured the great George Taliaferro, and John Pont's 1967 Rose Bowl season was also before my time. What I do know is that the 2021 Hoosiers have more talent, depth and productive experience than any previous IU team in decades, including the Mallory years. Of course, looking good on paper doesn't always translate to wins on Saturdays. There are questions including: 1) does the defense play at a consistently high level, from Game 1, with a new defensive coordinator; 2) can we still thrive if we lose a key player to injury; 3) does the OL step up its game; 4) after a season with no fans, how will we play in hostile road game conditions; 5) how deep does the team dig and how hungry are they; 6) can we close things out with wins in the Bucket game and the postseason.

I don't think any of us really know what this team's ceiling is, but it's unquestionably very high. I have little doubt that the team has goals of playing in Indy not only on December 4 but also January 10.

But first things first, and one game at a time. The Iowa game is huge and, like the Penn State game last year, could set the tone for the season. Go Hoosiers!

It would be tough to beat the talent on the 1945 team based on the ones that moved on to the NFL and starred there. This team has talent and can become one of the best IUFBs ever. Does it have NFL quality players that can become stars; we will have to wait and see.

I hope this IUFB team has the drive and desire to build on what they accomplished in 2020 to have a championship season. If IU can put all phases of the team together to play at a championship level, the talent is there, then this could be a special season.

I watched this show on ESPNU tonight to see what the announcers think about IU. There were six games the first week that were highlighted, and our game at Iowa was not listed among them. That is despite both teams being ranked in the top 20. Once again there is no respect given to us!

Reactions: vesuvius13
This will for sure be the best balanced IU team in my lifetime. Playmakers on both sides of the ball. Special teams might be a question mark, other than that we're fine. As long as Penix plays the full season (knock on wood), I see a minimum of 9 wins.

This will for sure be the best balanced IU team in my lifetime. Playmakers on both sides of the ball. Special teams might be a question mark, other than that we're fine. As long as Penix plays the full season (knock on wood), I see a minimum of 9 wins.
What question mark do you see on STs? We have better players on the STs now with very good skilled players at LS, K, P, and returners. Yes I know it is a new punter but so was Whitehead his first year and it worked out fine. One very good thing about our new punter, he will get the snaps put right in his hands so he can focus on the kick.

Last edited:
What question mark do you see on STs? We have better players on the STs now with very good skilled players at LS, K, P, and returners. Yes I know it is a new punter but so was Whitehead his first year and it worked out fine. One very good thing about our new punter, he will get the LS right on the money so he can focus on the kick.
I agree but I always worry about coverage teams. But we have more thus hopefully better guys running down to cover.

Long read but well worth it - - one of the best articles I've read on Tom Allen and the Hoosiers. That scene after the Wisconsin game, with the players spontaneous comments about Allen, was an incredible moment.

Could be the best in my lifetime (43 years)…and they could still finish 7-5.

at Iowa
Cincy
at PSU
OSU
at Michigan
at Purdue
at Maryland

7-5 implies 2 wins in the above games. It’s nice going into a season and legitimately thinking that would be disappointing.

Just based off the last two seasons, it feels like 9-3 should be the expectation. But man…pick 4 of those games from above??!! If we end up 9-3 or better…they have to be in the conversation as best of all time for IU.

at Iowa
Cincy
at PSU
OSU
at Michigan
at Purdue
at Maryland

7-5 implies 2 wins in the above games. It’s nice going into a season and legitimately thinking that would be disappointing.

Just based off the last two seasons, it feels like 9-3 should be the expectation. But man…pick 4 of those games from above??!! If we end up 9-3 or better…they have to be in the conversation as best of all time for IU.

It's going to be a long season and naturally everyone has their expectations rise with each day closer to kick-off but it's nice knowing our team is expected to win or has a legitimate chance to knock off anyone we're playing. Even Ohio State having to replace a lot of good talent. They definitely have a lot of young talent that often times steps up each season but when you turnover so many players, you simply never know what can happen.

18 seniors out of 24/25 on the defensive depth chart? Mind you, that's not including Mullen or Sio. That's insane and a huge advantage the pundits have overlooked. Iowa better hope they're ready.....

It's going to be a long season and naturally everyone has their expectations rise with each day closer to kick-off but it's nice knowing our team is expected to win or has a legitimate chance to knock off anyone we're playing. Even Ohio State having to replace a lot of good talent. They definitely have a lot of young talent that often times steps up each season but when you turnover so many players, you simply never know what can happen.

18 seniors out of 24/25 on the defensive depth chart? Mind you, that's not including Mullen or Sio. That's insane and a huge advantage the pundits have overlooked. Iowa better hope they're ready.....
This is 100% the year I'd hope we'd open with OSU. They've got horses EVERY DAMN YEAR. But it takes a lot to learn to work together and I certainly wouldn't mind to let a veteran team take their best swing while the OSU coaches are still trying to pin down who fits in their system.

The four Horsemen of Notre Dame averaged 175 pounds. Any team from the 1940s playing any power five team from today would lose by at least 80 points. Times and football were completely different . Nutrition was different Training was different. Weightlifting was different. Virtually all of the players were white and most of them weighs less than 180 pounds. No comparison.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
This didn’t age well
Gotcha, right?!! Well, not really. The thread title was presented in the form of a question. I noted, "Of course, looking good on paper doesn't always translate to wins on Saturdays." Some posters, including me, expressed a number of concerns including how would the OL perform and how would we do in front of hostile road crowds after a season with no fans in the stands. Unfortunately, after the first three games, those look like legitimate concerns.

One guy in the thread noted (and this might have been the most astute observation)
"could be the best in my lifetime and they could still finish 7-5."

But, yeah, after an 8-win season in 2019, a 6-win season last year in an abbreviated, all-conference schedule, and a ton of returning production, I thought a 9+ wins season was a distinct possibility in 2021. Looks like I was wrong.

Reactions: SoccerSammy

at Iowa
Cincy
at PSU
OSU
at Michigan
at Purdue
at Maryland

You're 0-2. Hopefully you get at least three w's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT