ADVERTISEMENT

Best Hires For IU Basketball Since RMK

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
The hiring of both Woodson and Matta is exactly what this board has been screaming for since RMK left.

We got a great IU player & solid NBA coach with a HOF college coach to run the show behind the scenes. Start attracting Indy recruits.

So, if you line it up..

Woodson/Matta VS

Painter

Holtzman

McCaffery

Pickel

Howard

and so on.. In 1-2 years, I like our pair against any of them

Reactions: travlinhoosier
The hiring of both Woodson and Matta is exactly what this board has been screaming for since RMK left.

We got a great IU player & solid NBA coach with a HOF college coach to run the show behind the scenes. Start attracting Indy recruits.

So, if you line it up..

Woodson/Matta VS

Painter

Holtzman

McCaffery

Pickel

Howard

After that press conference, my only concern about Woodson, was his energy. I'm sure he had a long day yesterday, but for a guy who just achieved his "career goal" of becoming the IU head basketball coach, he probably should have had another cup of coffee. I got some Lovie Smith vibes from him.

Reactions: IUgradman
I dig the narrative, but Woodson would've been fine with or without Matta along for the ride. Matta is a security blanket for everybody not named Mike Woodson.

Reactions: BayernFan
As far as pure college coaching ability Sampson was the best, but flawed.
And, I would argue, mismanaged.

BTW, it was almost surreal to hear Coach Woodson mention Sampson’s name — along with all the other post-Knight HCs — in the PC today.

So, if you line it up..

Woodson/Matta VS

Painter

Holtzman

McCaffery

Pickel

Howard

It's just Woodson. Not "Woodson/Matta"

Matta isn't on the basketball staff and can't coach or recruit players.

Matta is here to be a mentor for Woodson and to help him transition to the things that are unique to the NCAA, and Matta is here for himself to likely get experience in an AD office..

Don't be shocked if Matta leaves IU in a couple of years for Butler's open AD position when the current AD there retires.

This is a win-win for IU and Matta because Woodson can leverage some of Matta's experience at the same time Matta is getting the experience he likely is seeking as he transitions away from being a college basketball head coach and moves into the AD's office.

But if anyone thinks Matta's role will be similar to the one Phil Martelli has on Howard's staff -- I think they are misinterpreting what Matta is being hired for.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
After that press conference, my only concern about Woodson, was his energy. I'm sure he had a long day yesterday, but for a guy who just achieved his "career goal" of becoming the IU head basketball coach, he probably should have had another cup of coffee. I got some Lovie Smith vibes from him.
This is about building the program from the bottom up. It's about bringing in the right regional players. About saving/keeping the talent in the state.

I think that these two get it done..

Reactions: travlinhoosier

Matta is here to be a mentor for Woodson and to help him transition to the things that are unique to the NCAA, and Matta is here for himself to likely get experience in an AD office..

Don't be shocked if Matta leaves IU in a couple of years for Butler's open AD position when the current AD there retires.

This is a win-win for IU and Matta because Woodson can leverage some of Matta's experience at the same time Matta is getting the experience he likely is seeking as he transitions away from being a college basketball head coach and moves into the AD's office.

But if anyone thinks Matta's role will be similar to the one Phil Martelli has on Howard's staff -- I think they are misinterpreting what Matta is being hired for.
In one article, it said that Matta would be heading recruiting efforts.

In one article, it said that Matta would be heading recruiting efforts.

Well then IU is about to get sanctioned.

BGBaVSq.png

Source :: https://compliance.sports.uga.edu/c...-staff/non-coaching-staff-member-declaration/

I would take Thad Matta in my program over Sampson for coaching input. I know Mike Woodson is the head coaching hire, but we freaking hired Matta also to help IU basketball get better every day. How is this two-headed monster not viewed as a home-run??
Remains to be seen. Potential is there, but I would not expect it to be a given. Too many former NBA coaches have failed at the college level. And it’s a rebuild, which adds a layer of difficulty.

I don't need anymore "It's Indiana" fake hustle bulls**t.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I don't need anymore "It's Indiana" fake hustle bulls**t.
Why would it have to be fake if he actually believes it? I was a good presser, but I think a bit more enthusiasm and passion would have helped win over the naysayers.

Why would it have to be fake if he actually believes it? I was a good presser, but I think a bit more enthusiasm and passion would have helped win over the naysayers.
I don't disagree. I enjoyed seeing the press conference because it seemed real. That was my favorite part.

One man's "low energy" is another man's "calm and confident".

Link to Matta's JD?

You have no idea...NONE regarding what Thad will do on a day to day basis.

I don't disagree. I enjoyed seeing the press conference because it seemed real. That was my favorite part.

One man's "low energy" is another man's "calm and confident".

I like Mike. He was at IU at about the same time I was.

But I don't think anyone concerned about his age was reassured by that PC. Low energy? Damn, it was a snoozefest.

On a related matter, how long until some "I Like Mike" T-shirts roll out?

Reactions: IUgradman
I like Mike. He was at IU at about the same time I was.

But I don't think anyone concerned about his age was reassured by that PC. Low energy? Damn, it was a snoozefest.

On a related matter, how long until some "I Like Mike" T-shirts roll out?

Seemed like he was giving an eulogy.

Same here. I was dozing off listening to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT