ADVERTISEMENT

Best Buy

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
I have been using Best Buy for all my computing needs, including their Geek Squad service for tech support. Until today, that is.

My computer, which I bought 5 years ago from Best Buy was having problems. Took it to Geek Squad. They could not fix it. So, I junked it and replaced it with another Dell AIO.

During the process of Internet connection, I flipped it, cracking the glass screen. Took it to Geek Squad to fix it. They could not, and sent it to their headquarters. That was 3 months ago. In the mean time I had to rely on my iPhone for my computing needs.

After 3?months, they finally sent me an estimate to fix it: $400-$600. That means, if I agreed, they would spend another 2 months to fix it! I said “the hell with it! Send me back the machine w/o fixing it! Another month later, I finally got it back. However, while the screen-cracked one I sent worked, the returned one is completely dead! I protested. Unfortunately, they have already modified the wordings as if the AIO never worked.

I cancelled everything with Geek Squat, including $250 annual support, on the spot.

My loss:
~$1500 for AIO (Now completely broken and dead). Yes, I was stupid not to pay another few hundred bucks to protect against such event. But then, I have bought tens of computers in my life, and never needed it..
~Probably tens of thousands Of dollars due to the difficulty of accessing the timely market data
~difficulty communicating with friends and family. At my age, what else is there?
~Most importantly, the Difficulty to post to the Water Cooler. :)

Now, I am looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, Best Buy practically monopolizes the desk top market. Do you guys know of any alternatives? Laptops are readily available everywhere including Costco. Are they good alternative for semi-heavy loads such as writing, financial planning, stock trading, and such? I have rarely used laptops on daily basis.

Typing this message using an iPhone is tiresome!

I have been using Best Buy for all my computing needs, including their Geek Squad service for tech support. Until today, that is.

My computer, which I bought 5 years ago from Best Buy was having problems. Took it to Geek Squad. They could not fix it. So, I junked it and replaced it with another Dell AIO.

During the process of Internet connection, I flipped it, cracking the glass screen. Took it to Geek Squad to fix it. They could not, and sent it to their headquarters. That was 3 months ago. In the mean time I had to rely on my iPhone for my computing needs.

After 3?months, they finally sent me an estimate to fix it: $400-$600. That means, if I agreed, they would spend another 2 months to fix it! I said “the hell with it! Send me back the machine w/o fixing it! Another month later, I finally got it back. However, while the screen-cracked one I sent worked, the returned one is completely dead! I protested. Unfortunately, they have already modified the wordings as if the AIO never worked.

I cancelled everything with Geek Squat, including $250 annual support, on the spot.

My loss:
~$1500 for AIO (Now completely broken and dead). Yes, I was stupid not to pay another few hundred bucks to protect against such event. But then, I have bought tens of computers in my life, and never needed it..
~Probably tens of thousands Of dollars due to the difficulty of accessing the timely market data
~difficulty communicating with friends and family. At my age, what else is there?

Now, I am looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, Best Buy practically monopolizes the desk top market. Do you guys know of any alternatives? Laptops are readily available everywhere including Costco. Are they good alternative for semi-heavy loads such as writing, financial planning, stock trading, and such? I have rarely used laptops on daily basis.

My respect for you has gone up multiple folds. Did you write all that off a phone? Indentation, paragraphed etc. And no typos.

039b76f457e474fccd92a26f5562393d.gif

Those items you list are not semi-heavy duty. Gaming is heavy-duty, running a thousand variables data regression is semi-heavy duty. Most business apps do not require a computer to work up a sweat.

Are you in Bloomington? If so, just go to PC Max.

If not, yes, you can get a good machine at a Costco but service is tougher. Your city might have a local store like PC Max, try it. If not, then Costco.

A modern processor with 16 GB of RAM can handle pretty much anything this side of serious gaming. If you want to show off, get a solid state hard drive as that will make your computer boot so much faster. No more going to get a cup of coffee.

Now, I am looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, Best Buy practically monopolizes the desk top market. Do you guys know of any alternatives?
  1. Local Mom & Pop computer shop.
  2. Newegg (refurbs can be a good bargain)
  3. I can build you a kick ass machine and load it with MX Linux KDE that will enable you to do anything you want, worry free.

Reactions: hoosboot
Are you in Bloomington? If so, just go to PC Max.
Those guys are really really good, even with the change in ownership. I've done business with them for years. That said, while they won't rip you off, you won't get any bargains there.

My loss:

I didn’t know anybody actually paid for geek squad

3. I can build you a kick ass machine and load it with MX Linux KDE that will enable you to do anything you want, worry free.

Newegg is great for refurb bargains, especially when you don't need a top-end graphics crunching machine. And I was going to echo NPT's suggestion. HDMI ports make connecting to a cheap monitor a breeze.

Those guys are thieves, and I mean that sincerely.

I've had machines brought to me with $300 estimates from Geek Squad that I fixed for under $50 and felt guilty about charging even that much.

How do you think Best Buy is still in business? They should change the name to Geek Squad presents some other stuff you might want to buy while we're "fixing" your stuff.

How do you think Best Buy is still in business? They should change the name to Geek Squad presents Best Buy.
Good question. I don’t think I’ve bought anything from there in years. I wonder if they price match amazon. If they do that’s a reason why too - customers can impulse shop and not have to wait for amazon delivery.

My respect for you has gone up multiple folds. Did you write all that off a phone? Indentation, paragraphed etc. And no typos.

039b76f457e474fccd92a26f5562393d.gif
Unfortunately, yes. I had to vent my frustration and anger someway. Besides, there aren’t many things I can do w/o a computer these days. Even libraries are closed. Have you noticed how my frequency of posting here has increased lately? Sigh!

Those guys are thieves, and I mean that sincerely.

I've had machines brought to me with $300 estimates from Geek Squad that I fixed for under $50 and felt guilty about charging even that much.

Have you met the Genius Bar? Every interaction starts with one questions and has two possible outcomes - Are you covered under AppleCare?

If yes, here's a new replacement. If no, this needs a new "logic board" and that will cost $700. Every Mac is apparently a giant logic board wrapped in metal...unless you take it to someone who actually knows how to fix a Mac.

Good question. I don’t think I’ve bought anything from there in years. I wonder if they price match amazon. If they do that’s a reason why too - customers can impulse shop and not have to wait for amazon delivery.
I've been forced to buy components there on Sunday when I haven't had time to wait and PC Max wasn't open. Otherwise, screw them.

Unless you use it a lot on the run where it has to be portable just attach an external monitor and use it.... assuming everything else works.
That was my plan if they could not fix the screen. However, when it finally came back after 3 months, the AIO was completely broke. When I turned it on, just a few zigzagging lines showed up on the screen. I demanded to fix at least that part so that I could use it to do something such as making a long post on the Water Cooler :).

They refused by claiming that it was completely broken. I responded that why then the repair estimate was about the broken screen. In response they showed “their repair order”, showing their diagnosis as such, which is different from my copy of “broken screen” statement. Did they doctor the document? I am considering a legal action, but if I lose, I will lose additional bundle! Is it worth the potential cost? Well, I am thinking, thinking hard!

Last edited:
  1. Local Mom & Pop computer shop
1) I have been looking & visiting. Unfortunately, there aren’t that many, like near-none. What there are, they don’t impress me much. Best Buy killed them all I think. I thought about building on my own like the good old days. But decided against it; the age has caught up, I think.
2) New egg? Never heard about them. I should look into it.
3) Thanks for the offer. On second thought I may be too old to re-learn Linux.

That was my plan if they could not fix the screen. However, when it finally came back after 3 months, the AIO was completely broke. When I turned it on, just a few zigzagging lines showed up on the screen.
Still, plug in the external monitor. Borrow one if you have to. It might work. There's no such thing as "completely broke"; however, it's probably not worth fixing if an external monitor doesn't make it usable.

This is another thing people get screwed on, All In One form factors might be nice and save space and all, but trying to fix one is a real bitch owing to everything being specially made for that one model only. If you had a regular desktop setup, a busted monitor wouldn't slow you down one bit. Pick one up at Costco, plug it in, and off you go.

3) Thanks for the offer. On second thought I may be too old to re-learn Linux.
Nothing to learn. It's all point and click now. I load it up for my old Aunt Tilly types and never hear from them again.

Are you serious or kidding?
I used to pay, until yesterday, ~$250 annually for their impromptu service, which I cancelled yesterday.
I’m serious. It’s an absolute rip off as you’ve now discovered.

Reactions: meridian
I thought about building on my own like the good old days. But decided against it; the age has caught up, I think.
If you're competent with a small screwdriver and are nimble enough to handle small screws and small wires/plugs when connecting the front panel wiring and can read instructions, there's nothing to the assembly part. The part you have to be careful with is speccing out the various components, making sure they're all compatible with each other. That, and knowing how to access and set up the BIOS/UEFI

If not, yes, you can get a good machine at a Costco but service is tougher. Your city might have a local store like PC Max, try it. If not, then Costco.
I’ve visited Costco at multiple locations, none of which has anything close to what I want. I am contemplating to get a high-end laptop, but I am not sure how long I can stare that tiny screen. I did check their catalog, but same story!

Last edited:
I’ve visited Costco at multiple locations, none of which has anything close to what I want. I am contemplating to get a high-end laptop, but I am not sure I long I can stare that tiny screen. I did check their catalog, but same story!
Dude, you can get a monitor as big as you want. Heck, you can use a television. What you have to be willing to do is also have a separate computer "tower". AIOs are bullshit. What you've experienced proves the point.

Dude, you can get a monitor as big as you want. Heck, you can use a television. What you have to be willing to do is also have a separate computer "tower". AIOs are bullshit. What you've experienced proves the point.
You have a point there. I should consider rewinding my clock by half a decade, or is it a full decade, & go back to the good old way. Thnx for the advice.

That's because they can't figure out how to contact you...
I know you're fvcking with me, but I'm dead serious. If you don't have any recent experience with desktop Linux, you should take a live image for a spin. I can set up a KDE desktop in about 15 minutes that anyone can sit down in front of and begin using immediately.

That was my plan if they could not fix the screen. However, when it finally came back after 3 months, the AIO was completely broke. When I turned it on, just a few zigzagging lines showed up on the screen. I demanded to fix at least that part so that I could use it to do something such as making a long post on the Water Cooler :). They refused by claiming that it was completely broken. I responded that why then the repair estimate was about the broken screen. In response they showed “their repair order”, showing their diagnosis as such, which is different from my copy of “broken screen” statement. Did they doctor the document? I am considering a legal action, but if I lose, I will lose additional bundle! Is it worth the potential cost? Well, I am thinking, thinking hard!

Forget legal action. Wait for a riot and burn the mother-f@cker down.

I'd just get a cheap desktop & hook it into a 24" monitor. Easy. Or you could get a laptop. You only need a video card if you're into real video gaming or are doing major video editing.

Pretty much anything sold ought to be plenty adequate for word processing/financial planning, etc. Just make sure it has a solid state drive in it.

If you're competent with a small screwdriver and are nimble enough to handle small screws and small wires/plugs when connecting the front panel wiring and can read instructions, there's nothing to the assembly part. The part you have to be careful with is speccing out the various components, making sure they're all compatible with each other. That, and knowing how to access and set up the BIOS/UEFI
Using PCpartpicker.com can help as you can create system builds and they will let you know of compatibility issues. It’s quite simple for even first time builders. Accessing bios is super simple these days, and most components already are plug and play, unless you are overclocking components. There is also a large number of YouTube video that can help first time builders along the way. I’m so glad I built my PC, and I will never ever recommend to anyone to buy a standard prebuilt or AIO computer.

Reactions: UncleMark
I have been looking & visiting. Unfortunately, there aren’t that many, like near-none. What there are, they don’t impress me much. Best Buy killed them all I think. I thought about building on my own like the good old days. But decided against it; the age has caught up, I think.
You're in the Seattle area aren't you?

There's a Fry's in Renton.

https://www.frys.com/ac/storeinfo/renton-location-frys-electronics-hours-maps-directions

I have no idea if that's anywhere near where you might be, but it would be worth a trip. When I go into the one in Fishers IN, I walk around with a woody the whole time I'm there.

Reactions: hoosboot
I've not used it, but Newegg has a similar tool right on their website.

https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder/?cm_sp=pcbuilder_entrance-_-headerhotmenu
Oh yeah, I like pc part pickers better as they pull prices from multiple sites (including Best Buy) to find the lowest price for part, just my preference. I did get my 1tb WD black M.2 SSd from newegg and their shipping takes about a week to Indiana from Cali, but my system boots up in less than 10 seconds! You can buy pc parts at Best Buy too, just make sure you look around as they will price match any website.

Following your advice, I went to a mom & pop shop to pay $1000 to buy an i5-based, instead of the broken i7, with a 24” monitor, instead of 27. The data look still good, and they are transferring them now. I will pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be using it to post here, instead of this stinky iPhone!

Love these laptops. Battery life isn’t stellar, but the rest of it is.
Prostar NH77DDW 17.3 Inch FHD 144Hz, Intel i7-10875H, RTX 2060, 16GB 3200Mhz, 1TB NVMe SSD, Windows 10 Home, Slim Bezel Gaming Laptop Amazon product ASIN B087WLH653

I've not used it, but Newegg has a similar tool right on their website.

https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder/?cm_sp=pcbuilder_entrance-_-headerhotmenu

I need a new laptop. I’m not much of a road warrior these days, but I want something fairly durable. Also, it has to have a trackball (little nipple thing). Most people think I’m weird for requiring that, but once you’re used to not having to take your hands off the keyboard, it becomes a must. I’d be happy to have you build me one. PM me.

Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT