ADVERTISEMENT

Believe me, I know how pathetic this sounds…

Dec 9, 2014
…but I feel psychologically devastated as a fan. I didn’t scroll down the page when I logged in because I can’t bear to read all the intense negativity that I know is lurking down there. I literally have no desire to watch anymore college football for the rest of the season. I’m still going to scoreboard watch because I’m addicted, but I’m going to have to be given a reason to care again.

This is like some kind of cruel, cosmic joke. I just can’t believe I made a jackass out of myself and let myself get sucked in AGAIN for the umpteenth time when I had a lifetime of experience that should have made me know better. Luckily, this is also my birthday weekend and I’m surrounded by friends and family right now, or I would be in a REALLY dark place at the moment—-as opposed to venting on here at 4:30 a.m.. LOL. I had originally planned on going to the WKU game…we’ll see. Definitely gonna take a break from this place for awhile. See you all on the other side.

…but I feel psychologically devastated as a fan. I didn’t scroll down the page when I logged in because I can’t bear to read all the intense negativity that I know is lurking down there. I literally have no desire to watch anymore college football for the rest of the season. I’m still going to scoreboard watch because I’m addicted, but I’m going to have to be given a reason to care again.

This is like some kind of cruel, cosmic joke. I just can’t believe I made a jackass out of myself and let myself get sucked in AGAIN for the umpteenth time when I had a lifetime of experience that should have made me know better. Luckily, this is also my birthday weekend and I’m surrounded by friends and family right now, or I would be in a REALLY dark place at the moment—-as opposed to venting on here at 4:30 a.m.. LOL. I had originally planned on going to the WKU game…we’ll see. Definitely gonna take a break from this place for awhile. See you all on the other side.
I feel your darkness. At the end of a storm is a golden light and the sweet sound of a lark. When you look towards the light the shadows fall behind. Stay safe, my friend, and happy fuc*ing birthday weekend!

It was one game, and one where our QB played the absolute worst game of his life against a defense that was near-elite last year and is almost certainly going to be at that level again this year at that. They've got a get-right game this weekend against Idaho under the lights where they can sort out the kinks and get Michael's confidence back where it needs to be.

After that, we've got a huge spotlight game that can get us right back onto the front page and into the rankings in front of a sold-out crowd, but the last thing that the team needs in order for that to happen is for fans to tune out after one bad game. They need a real home field advantage, and real fan support for once, to reach their goals for the year, all of which are still on the table. A cross-divisional loss doesn't hurt all that much in the grand scheme of things, and going undefeated against a meat-grinder of a schedule was never realistic in the first place.

Keep the faith, look forward to the assured fun blowout on Saturday, and have a wonderful birthday to pick yourself back up.

It was one game, and one where our QB played the absolute worst game of his life against a defense that was near-elite last year and is almost certainly going to be at that level again this year at that. They've got a get-right game this weekend against Idaho under the lights where they can sort out the kinks and get Michael's confidence back where it needs to be.

After that, we've got a huge spotlight game that can get us right back onto the front page and into the rankings in front of a sold-out crowd, but the last thing that the team needs in order for that to happen is for fans to tune out after one bad game. They need a real home field advantage, and real fan support for once, to reach their goals for the year, all of which are still on the table. A cross-divisional loss doesn't hurt all that much in the grand scheme of things, and going undefeated against a meat-grinder of a schedule was never realistic in the first place.

Keep the faith, look forward to the assured fun blowout on Saturday, and have a wonderful birthday to pick yourself back up.
I expected Iowa to win but I thought it be more like 35-28ish, not 34-6 with a completely disastrous performance on offense by us.

I don't get that tied into it anymore. My wife was watching with me for awhile yesterday, we had someplace else to be at 4:30 but I started watching the game. We threw the pick 6 to go down 14 in like a 40 second span and I turned it off and said something to the effect of the game being a train wreck. Her comment, "Every year you say they should be better this year and then this..."

There are die hard on this forum that ask every year what it will take to start seeing fans in the stands...I would say it is games like this. This program, for whatever reason, whenever it feels like it may be gaining momentum, always finds a way to have one of these games. Not just a loss, but a deflating, abomination of a game.

Last year was the first year we really looked to have gotten over a hump. And in true IU football luck fashion, it happened in a year when the fans could not be there in person.

I don't get that tied into it anymore. My wife was watching with me for awhile yesterday, we had someplace else to be at 4:30 but I started watching the game. We threw the pick 6 to go down 14 in like a 40 second span and I turned it off and said something to the effect of the game being a train wreck. Her comment, "Every year you say they should be better this year and then this..."

There are die hard on this forum that ask every year what it will take to start seeing fans in the stands...I would say it is games like this. This program, for whatever reason, whenever it feels like it may be gaining momentum, always finds a way to have one of these games. Not just a loss, but a deflating, abomination of a game.

Last year was the first year we really looked to have gotten over a hump. And in true IU football luck fashion, it happened in a year when the fans could not be there in person.
We play better to half empty stadiums. It also gives the fans there a chance to spread out, stretch their legs and move about. How many stadiums can you say that the legroom is so good you can actually recline with your back against an empty bleacher and your outstretched legs propped up on the empty bleacher in front of you. It’s really a benefit of watching games there that most fans don’t appreciate. I’ll be there for every one of them, eating a 52 gallon tub of the popcorn and cheering for the team and going into meltdown mode when we inevitably screw up. Rome wasn’t built in a day and, unfortunately for those of us who have been religiously going since the Corso years, IU football takes longer than Rome.

We play better to half empty stadiums. It also gives the fans there a chance to spread out, stretch their legs and move about. How many stadiums can you say that the legroom is so good you can actually recline with your back against an empty bleacher and your outstretched legs propped up on the empty bleacher in front of you. It’s really a benefit of watching games there that most fans don’t appreciate. I’ll be there for every one of them, eating a 52 gallon tub of the popcorn and cheering for the team and going into meltdown mode when we inevitably screw up. Rome wasn’t built in a day and, unfortunately for those of us who have been religiously going since the Corso years, IU football takes longer than Rome.
I give you diehards a bunch of credit. This program delivers a lot more heartbreak than it does joy.

My point still stands though, the fan base can be talked down to for not showing up, but yesterday was a very typical Indiana thing. The program was getting talked up a little bit, people were excited about IU football, seats were getting sold and then we laid a huge egg. We had misspellings on jerseys. I mean, that seems trivial but it just smacks of a program that is not serious.

I know we are trying desperately to get serious. I know recruiting has been improving. Last year we finally had some luck go our way. You cannot do all the work to get fair weather eyes on your games and then lay an egg. That is what happened in the bowl game against Mississippi and that is what happened yesterday against Iowa.

It is disappointing. Hopefully that game was an aberration.

There is never any shame in losing to Iowa at Kinnick Stadium.

Elite OSU lost by more than you did in IC just 4 years ago.
I respect the hell out of Iowa. In my opinion, it’s the type of program you set as a benchmark. When you get serious about football, as Fry did in 1979, and you continue that, good things happen. Consistency is key.

Not sure what to expect this next game. Montana beat Washington yesterday.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Two days ago we were going to compete for a BIG championship. We had a brilliant coach. And the entire program was trending up.

The next day, our QB is worthless, the OC needs fired and we became IU football.

I love message boards!
Well, results are results, this will go on our permanent record.

…but I feel psychologically devastated as a fan. I didn’t scroll down the page when I logged in because I can’t bear to read all the intense negativity that I know is lurking down there. I literally have no desire to watch anymore college football for the rest of the season.

This is like some kind of cruel, cosmic joke. I just can’t believe I made a jackass out of myself and let myself get sucked in AGAIN for the umpteenth time when I had a lifetime of experience that should have made me know better.

I hear you my friend. I was shell shocked last night.

I'm not giving up yet, but my optimism has been drastically reduced. I'm back in my usual "I'll believe it when I see it" mind frame. Let's see what happens. We obviously need to get well on Idaho. Then comes the big test. Even a loss won't be a huge setback, as long as we're competitive and get beaten by the other team and not ourselves. Either way, that makes WKU a must win game for us. Then we'll know where we stand.

Two days ago we were going to compete for a BIG championship. We had a brilliant coach. And the entire program was trending up.

The next day, our QB is worthless, the OC needs fired and we became IU football.

I love message boards!
That whiplash you’re feeling is because we’ve been gaslit by Coach Allen, the athletic department, the national and local media, even Fisch…

It's a game played by kids who don't give a rats ass about you. Some people have real, serious problems in this world.

lowly Illini fan here. You really really shouldn't take these games THAT seriously at all. I get that you are invested & care about IU football which is perfectly fine (I feel the same way about Illinois sports hoping they'd improve & be respectable/competitive ) but You are using words like "devastated" and how you would be in a "REALLY dark place" if you weren't surrounded by friends & family. I mean damn dude get some perspective and don't hang on so much hope on a bunch of college players lol. BTW its only one game. I really like your coach and think he has you guys headed in the right direction as well. Oh and happy bday man.

lowly Illini fan here. You really really shouldn't take these games THAT seriously at all. I get that you are invested & care about IU football which is perfectly fine (I feel the same way about Illinois sports hoping they'd improve & be respectable/competitive ) but You are using words like "devastated" and how you would be in a "REALLY dark place" if you weren't surrounded by friends & family. I mean damn dude get some perspective and don't hang on so much hope on a bunch of college players lol. BTW its only one game. I really like your coach and think he has you guys headed in the right direction as well. Oh and happy bday man.
Just to clarify, the “really dark place” comment was made ironically with tongue firmly in cheek. I was posting at 4:30 a.m.. That’s already being in a really dark place in my book-in the context of sports fandom. Context is key here. Don’t take me so literally brother. I do appreciate the concern though.

Reactions: vesuvius13
In fairness ya'll have re-defined "lowly" the past few years... LOL

You all feel BAD after Iowa...Well I live in The Villages Fl and I bought football season tickets and am or was planning on flying back and forth for the games .....I really thought we would be going to the Rose Bowl....And this is also my Birthday weekend Sept 12 1938 yes 83 years old...And my plane leaves Orlando at 5:05 See you at the games

You all feel BAD after Iowa...Well I live in The Villages Fl and I bought football season tickets and am or was planning on flying back and forth for the games .....I really thought we would be going to the Rose Bowl....And this is also my Birthday weekend Sept 12 1938 yes 83 years old...And my plane leaves Orlando at 5:05 See you at the games
Happy Upcoming Birthday!!!

I love message boards!
Ain't it the truth. As a boy, I listened to the Hawkeyes through every year of their 17 consecutive losing seasons. I know what pain is and you have my sympathies.

I hope none of your neighbors are Iowans. :cool:
iu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT