ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein on the way out?

Yep, big difference between coaching college and the pros. But I think I’ll go with Beilein’s knowledge of the game over these player’s knowledge anytime. Pathetic to see the players give up so soon. Seems to be a little short on the heart stuff.

Yep, big difference between coaching college and the pros. But I think I’ll go with Beilein’s knowledge of the game over these player’s knowledge anytime. Pathetic to see the players give up so soon. Seems to be a little short on the heart stuff.

These guys are professionals and adults. If you treat them like college kids and they don't respond, you have only yourself to blame.

Jim Boylen has the same problems with the Bulls.

If he can't earn the respect of your players without treating them like children, then maybe Beilein should head back to college.

I'm not positive why he left in the first place.

Anyone know how well the University respected or did not* respect his decision to leave?
Asking for Juwan Howard

These guys are professionals and adults. If you treat them like college kids and they don't respond, you have only yourself to blame.

If he can't earn the respect of your players without treating them like children, then maybe Beilein should head back to college.

Coaches get tired of the recruiting grind, alumni and boosters and dealing with arcane NCAA rules in college coaching. The NBA gigs are viewed as more straightforward because you are dealing with "professionals" and aren't hamstrung by restrictions on the amount of coaching. It's "all basketball, all the time". Of course the downside is the "professionals" are really kids who have been coddled by the system, their family/advisors/enablers and are now making millions. A friend of a former friend was an asst coach/bball operations Director and often his job was traveling on the road with the players and essentially babysitting them to make sure they didn't get in too much trouble. He said their shopping and spending habits were ridiculous. I have no trouble believing coaching them amounts to herding cats and is complicated by the fact that they make way more $$ than the coaches. I'm sure it's a very fine balance of ego stroking and coaching and if they have had enough and turn on you, you could find yourself in a bad spot quickly.

Reactions: Upset Alert
He went to the NBA because immature brats were leaving college early and there was too much focus on recruiting every year. Guess what? He found them there.

Leaving college early makes you an immature brat? Who are the immature brats on the Cavs, specifically?

I couldn't disagree more.

Coaches get tired of the recruiting grind, alumni and boosters and dealing with arcane NCAA rules in college coaching. The NBA gigs are viewed as more straightforward because you are dealing with "professionals" and aren't hamstrung by restrictions on the amount of coaching. It's "all basketball, all the time". Of course the downside is the "professionals" are really kids who have been coddled by the system, their family/advisors/enablers and are now making millions. A friend of a former friend was an asst coach/bball operations Director and often his job was traveling on the road with the players and essentially babysitting them to make sure they didn't get in too much trouble. He said their shopping and spending habits were ridiculous. I have no trouble believing coaching them amounts to herding cats and is complicated by the fact that they make way more $$ than the coaches. I'm sure it's a very fine balance of ego stroking and coaching and if they have had enough and turn on you, you could find yourself in a bad spot quickly.

This is one of the finest posts I've read in quite a while.

I remember a Knight quote. He was asked by a reporter if he would move to the pros.
“ What about my game makes you think I would coach in the pros”.

Yep, big difference between coaching college and the pros.
It's one of the only professions in the world where the workers hold more power and have more authority than the managing staff. Maybe five coaches in the league have any real authority. LeRoid could get four of them fired if he joined their team. Pop is probably the only one he couldn't touch.

I couldn't disagree more.

Of course you do. Why place any responsibility on the man in charge when lamenting the selfishness of the youth is so tried and true?

Until you can name an actual proven selfish brat on the Cavs all everyone here sees is an old man yelling at clouds, because you think those darn kids have no respect for authority.

You’re a caricature.

Of course you do. Why place any responsibility on the man in charge when lamenting the selfishness of the youth is so tried and true?

Until you can name an actual proven selfish brat on the Cavs all everyone here sees is an old man yelling at clouds, because you think those darn kids have no respect for authority.

You’re a caricature.

John Beilein is a good basketball coach. He has proven that many times over. And moreso, he has shown a very good understanding of how college basketball translates to the pro game because he has sent many UM players to the league in short fashion.

If his team isn't listening, it's on them. Get some new players who will listen and compete.

Reactions: Cutter1973
John Beilein is a good basketball coach. He has proven that many times over. And moreso, he has shown a very good understanding of how college basketball translates to the pro game because he has sent many UM players to the league in short fashion.

If his team isn't listening, it's on them. Get some new players who will listen and compete.

I havent fd with the nba anymore after pacers blew there chance at a championship back with the malice at the palace...But didnt their own teammate even say they didnt listen so he left for LA...?

You know the guy everyone says knows everything about basketball.
Gods gift to it.
So he outa know wut hes talkin about right?

As they sit 5 and 16 right now

You’re a caricature.
What a dumb post. Beilein has been one of the best coaches and teachers in any sport the last number of years. I’d take his accumulated basketball wisdom and approach to achieving excellence and winning over a bunch of guys who appear to have no understanding of what it takes to be successful on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT