ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball hosts Pacific

Luke Miller commits his second throwing error of the day. Runner advances to second. He didn't need to throw it. Jus ttoo much confidence in his arm.

Pitching was a big positive this weekend, but eight hits today was the best we did at the plate against Pacific. Western Illinois is 0-11 after today's action, and you would think that we can get our bats going against a team like that.

Way to pull it out boys on a very cold day. That wind blowing in from center field was brutal.

Pitching was a big positive this weekend, but eight hits today was the best we did at the plate against Pacific. Western Illinois is 0-11 after today's action, and you would think that we can get our bats going against a team like that.

I was there today. All day. Seemed like a very long game. The crowd was sparse, understandably.

A few comments:

1. The board today was used mostly for relaying the individual stats. I hope they get to the point where they can show replays. Thankfully no commercial content, at least yet.

2. IU had at least 4 deep line drives (not long fly balls) to the outfield that were caught. I really thought we had a lot of good ABs overall. I saw few really bad swings.

3. Sommer again had better overall command and success than Cam or Hobbie. We were very fortunate to get out of Hobbie's bad inning without more damage. Fineman made 2 great stops on what should have been wild pitches. Cam has great stuff but he's always getting himself in trouble with walks or hit batters. Also, he lost 4-5 MPH from his first hitter todat to his last.

4. I thought Miller's first error today was a tough call. He had to go far to his left left and make a hurried throw. It did pull Lloyd off the bag, but no runner advanced on the throw. His 2nd error was just a bonehead play. I hope the other guys were yelling at him to hold onto the ball. If not, they should have been.....no chance to throw the guy out.

5. Houston made a very nice play on the slow runner to get out of the 7th(?) inning. Made it look easy, but not many college SSs could have made that play. He & Fineman together saved at least 2-3 runs with excellent plays.

Reactions: ptrich and snowling
Glad to take 2 of 3, but we really should have swept them. We blew that first game....glad they could come back and take the final two, though.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Glad to take 2 of 3, but we really should have swept them. We blew that first game....glad they could come back and take the final two, though.

Not really good baseball all weekend. Pitching was excellent. Hitting and fielding both left a lot to be desired. Hopefully this week allows us to sharpen things up. Less than two weeks until we start conference play.

Not really good baseball all weekend. Pitching was excellent. Hitting and fielding both left a lot to be desired. Hopefully this week allows us to sharpen things up. Less than two weeks until we start conference play.

I was at Sunday's game.....the IU players weren't much into the game until late in the game. Pacific's players were very much into the game the whole game. I know it's hard to get up for teams you should beat handily, but I think it made a big difference in that series.

Now we're going to be playing one of the worst teams in D1. WIU is 0-11 and ranked 295/297 in RPI. This series is probably going to be a big RPI hit even if we win all 3 games. The level of competition and the weather have combined to put a damper on things at present.

Last edited:
I was at Sunday's game.....the IU players weren't much into the game until late in the game. Pacific's players were very much into the game the whole game. I know it's hard to get up for teams you should beat handily, but I think it made a big difference in that series.

Now we're going to be playing one of the worst teams in D1. WIU is 0-11 and ranked 295/297 teams in RPI. This series is probably going to be a big RPI hit even if we win all 3 games. The level of competition and the weather have combined to put a damper on things at present.
We have two games against WIU, and I wonder if tomorrow's game will be played with the forecast of a high of 37 and winds at 10-20 MPH. The weather on Weds is a little better temp-wise. NIU, our opponent over the weekend, is not much better record-wise. One stat I saw is that we are batting .133 with runners in scoring position so far on the homestand, which obviously is not good. Hopefully, we get over our hitting slump soon. Four games into our homestand and we are still looking for our first HR of the season at the Bart.

Reactions: snowling
What I don't like on this young season is how many times we have had someone on 3rd with less than 2 outs, and don't get them in. That has to change if we really want to be successful against quality opponents.

Reactions: 82IU and snowling
ADVERTISEMENT