ADVERTISEMENT

Bart Torvik has IU up to #16 for next season

So what you’re saying is, they’ll likely be very good for a season that probably won’t even be able to be played. Sounds like par for the course...

My prediction, football will be played. And basketball. A few reasons: people are tired of being locked down; the virus isn't as bad as worst-case predictions; most of all, universities will be looking at the hard truth that if they do not open for the fall semester, large numbers of students will refuse to pay full tuition for online classes. Athletic departments will be looking at bankruptcy if they can't sell football and basketball tickets. In the end, money will talk, it always does.

The old folks may decide to not attend, but a younger more energetic crowd wouldn't hurt anything either.

My prediction, football will be played. And basketball. A few reasons: people are tired of being locked down; the virus isn't as bad as worst-case predictions; most of all, universities will be looking at the hard truth that if they do not open for the fall semester, large numbers of students will refuse to pay full tuition for online classes. Athletic departments will be looking at bankruptcy if they can't sell football and basketball tickets. In the end, money will talk, it always does.

The old folks may decide to not attend, but a younger more energetic crowd wouldn't hurt anything either.

Not sure I buy this yet. Hope you’re right!

There are so many emerging potential problems from Covid...that I think the uncertainty, as much as anything, will keep things like spectator sporting events locked down until we have proven treatments, vaccines, and more information on mortality and potential damages From the disease.

Younger people who are getting it with no underlying diseases, are having strokes in rare instances. Coincidence? Hope so. Scary? Yes. There’s a concern about infertility for younger people that contract Covid. And there are all the other questions about how many people really have it. Whether you can get it more than once. Etc...

The verdict is still out on whether it’s more dangerous than the flu. I don’t think there can be any question, however, that it isn’t the flu, and that there are major differences in how it attacks people. Until there’s more knowledge on it, and some remedies, I don’t see large gatherings being a thing again.

Upper half B1G, preferably top 4-5
NCAA bid, 6 seed or better
top 25 team throughout the season
keeping 20-30 pt blowout losses on the road to a minimum
Kids playing like they care- if we're getting beat by NW at home with a few minutes left in the game, I better not see anyone smiling and cutting up in the huddle

And I'd give up 1-2 of the conditions above for a run to the S16 or beyond.

Oh, and if someone could finally light a stick of dynamite under Justin Smith's ass, that would be helpful.

I want to see IU back to a perennial top 10-15 team, but the program has been mismanaged as far back as RMK's final 3-4 years. Recruits today, especially outside of Indiana, don't care about IU's run in the 70s/80s any more than Wooden/UCLA's run the previous decade. It's ancient history to all these iphone snapchat kids. So while I'm not expecting top 10 and NCAA FF run next year, I do expect to see most, if not all, of the conditions above. It is time for more than just a season of debatable improvement.
What you’re suggesting as “making it” wouldn’t even match Crean’s year 4 and Crean started with a walk on and nothing else.

Likely not good enough for me.

I can see a scenario where I’d retain him with another 11th place finish. But it would likely have to include major injury issues and another historically deep conference.

But in general, if I’m the AD, a second straight 11th place finish means I’m firing him.
I hope you maintain these standards when the excuse machine starts rolling again next season.

I hope you maintain these standards when the excuse machine starts rolling again next season.

I won’t have to. If he finishes 11th again, I do believe he’ll be fired. And most likely I’ll agree with it. I just hope if that happens, the timing and transition are such that we don’t lose everything Archie has built. And that we are able to get someone that can make a more immediate and lasting impact.

Your boy finally coming with his wife to Bloomington, as an example.

What you’re suggesting as “making it” wouldn’t even match Crean’s year 4 and Crean started with a walk on and nothing else.

I think IU ended up as a 4 seed in his 4th season. And that was largely due to the December wins over UK and OSU. That team did falter down the stretch a little though, before playing well in the NCAAs. Not sure his run down is all that different from Crean year 4.

I won’t have to. If he finishes 11th again, I do believe he’ll be fired. And most likely I’ll agree with it. I just hope if that happens, the timing and transition are such that we don’t lose everything Archie has built. And that we are able to get someone that can make a more immediate and lasting impact.

Your boy finally coming with his wife to Bloomington, as an example.
He’s not going anywhere if we finish 11th again. The looming financial crisis in college athletics will ensure that coaches on “hot seats” get more time to turn around their programs, as paying expensive buy outs will be, at best, politically untenable for universities. Miller will get a minimum of five years.

He’s not going anywhere if we finish 11th again. The looming financial crisis in college athletics will ensure that coaches on “hot seats” get more time to turn around their programs, as paying expensive buy outs will be, at best, politically untenable for universities. Miller will get a minimum of five years.

You could be right. I think many of us supporting him now, would be much less so in that situation.

Kids playing like they care- if we're getting beat by NW at home with a few minutes left in the game, I better not see anyone smiling and cutting up in the huddle

Oh, and if someone could finally light a stick of dynamite under Justin Smith's ass, that would be helpful.

I want to see IU back to a perennial top 10-15 team, but the program has been mismanaged as far back as RMK's final 3-4 years. Recruits today, especially outside of Indiana, don't care about IU's run in the 70s/80s any more than Wooden/UCLA's run the previous decade. It's ancient history to all these iphone snapchat kids. So while I'm not expecting top 10 and NCAA FF run next year, I do expect to see most, if not all, of the conditions above. It is time for more than just a season of debatable improvement.
We’re not gonna be ranked all year and I’ll be shocked if we finish better than 5th in the conference. I’d guess we’ll flirt with top 25 for most of season..occasionally in and then back out. I do expect us to be a tourney team and could see us making sweet 16 with a decent draw

Those expectations mirror what I had for last season. I was left feeling pretty disappointed. I understand that the Big Ten was as deep as it has ever been, but that says as much about the top of the conference being as weak as it’s ever been as it does about the bottom being strong. In any event, I feel we underachieved last season*

*note: As the season didn’t get to play out it’s possible I could have ended up feeling better about things.

Archie has been building next years team since he’s been here. We better be a top 10-15 team next season returning all 5 starters, 4 of which will be in their final season (TJD I am assuming). The following season we will have 4 new starters. While recruiting has been fairly solid, Millers insistence on recruiting 1-2 year players (Romeo, Fitzner, Brunk, TJD and now Lander), leads me to wonder if he’ll ever have a better team than he will next season? Certainly it’s likely he’ll never come close to having a team as experienced as next years.

We should be very good, especially if Phin can shed his injury prone label. If Phin plays like he showed he could as a freshman, this team should compete for a conference title.

I'm not using Crean as a dipstick for success. You asked my views on what a 'successful' season would look like next year. If you don't like my answer, that's your prerogative. But the conditions that I laid out are, without a doubt, a large step forward.

I know you want CAM fired, and nothing I can say will change that. So debating this with you is the definition of insanity. I learned long ago, it's pointless to debate with ideologues. Let's watch next season and see if there is marked improvement or more of the same.

it would be sad for the bball program to be forced into status quo over finances, but you have a point. The lack of 2020-21 football and basketball ticket revenue will be devastating. More so even for the other sports (swim, track, golf) that rely on Fball and Bball revenues to fund their sport. They might not have funding to even have a season. Imagine the financial hit a school like Michigan will suffer, losing 6 home games with tickets for 105,000 seats, massive parking and concession revenue. Even the TV revenue...are we really going to enjoy watching games on TV with an empty stadium? It will be like watching a spring scrimmage. We still have time for science to save the basketball season but college football- which really is the big revenue sport- will all but surely be played in empty bowls...if it's played at all. This will have a huge impact financially at IU and everywhere else. Hopefully the situation with COVID turns in our favor over the coming months but I cannot see a packed stadium again until there is a vaccine.

Just imagine the impact to a college football team, if they start practices in July, and a COVID outbreak occurs within the team. They'd be forced to shut down practices and quarantine the players for 2 weeks or more. Or if the team has positive test results once the season begins. I can see several scenarios which all spell nightmares for the coming season.

Last edited:
We’re not gonna be ranked all year and I’ll be shocked if we finish better than 5th in the conference. I’d guess we’ll flirt with top 25 for most of season..occasionally in and then back out. I do expect us to be a tourney team and could see us making sweet 16 with a decent draw
if the best we can do is 'flirt' with the top 25 all season then I will consider the season a disappointment and will no longer be walking the line with CAM.

Those expectations mirror what I had for last season. I was left feeling pretty disappointed. I understand that the Big Ten was as deep as it has ever been, but that says as much about the top of the conference being as weak as it’s ever been as it does about the bottom being strong. In any event, I feel we underachieved last season*

*note: As the season didn’t get to play out it’s possible I could have ended up feeling better about things.

Archie has been building next years team since he’s been here. We better be a top 10-15 team next season returning all 5 starters, 4 of which will be in their final season (TJD I am assuming). The following season we will have 4 new starters. While recruiting has been fairly solid, Millers insistence on recruiting 1-2 year players (Romeo, Fitzner, Brunk, TJD and now Lander), leads me to wonder if he’ll ever have a better team than he will next season? Certainly it’s likely he’ll never come close to having a team as experienced as next years.

We should be very good, especially if Phin can shed his injury prone label. If Phin plays like he showed he could as a freshman, this team should compete for a conference title.
yes me too. Season was a mild disappointment for me. Biggest by far were the multiple embarrassing blowouts on the road. That, and the fact that we didn't get to play out the season.

Last edited:

yes the 2020-21 season status is very concerning. As for the young people being safe, that's not entirely true. Plus the coaching staff isn't full of 19 yr olds. Or the refs, or the press, or the other support staff on site. Are young people going to pony up for the expensive court side seats?
We may have some version of a season next school year, but it will be a very different experience, and still cause massive budget shortcomings.

it would be sad for the bball program to be forced into status quo over finances, but you have a point. The lack of 2020-21 football and basketball ticket revenue will be devastating. More so even for the other sports (swim, track, golf) that rely on Fball and Bball revenues to fund their sport. They might not have funding to even have a season. Imagine the financial hit a school like Michigan will suffer, losing 6 home games with tickets for 105,000 seats, massive parking and concession revenue. Even the TV revenue...are we really going to enjoy watching games on TV with an empty stadium? It will be like watching a spring scrimmage. We still have time for science to save the basketball season but college football- which really is the big revenue sport- will all but surely be played in empty bowls...if it's played at all. This will have a huge impact financially at IU and everywhere else. Hopefully the situation with COVID turns in our favor over the coming months but I cannot see a packed stadium again until there is a vaccine.

Just imagine the impact to a college football team, if they start practices in July, and a COVID outbreak occurs within the team. They'd be forced to shut down practices and quarantine the players for 2 weeks or more. Or if the team has positive test results once the season begins. I can see several scenarios which all spell nightmares for the coming season.
IU has less to lose in terms of football revenues but operates on a much thinner margin for error than almost all of our conference brothers.

I'm not using Crean as a dipstick for success. You asked my views on what a 'successful' season would look like next year. If you don't like my answer, that's your prerogative. But the conditions that I laid out are, without a doubt, a large step forward.

I know you want CAM fired, and nothing I can say will change that. So debating this with you is the definition of insanity. I learned long ago, it's pointless to debate with ideologues. Let's watch next season and see if there is marked improvement or more of the same.
You’ve said:
1. Next season is make or break
2. Crean is not the standard for success
3. Archie could “make it” by doing even less than the failure Crean.

And you believe this is rational thinking.

You’ve said:
1. Next season is make or break
2. Crean is not the standard for success
3. Archie could “make it” by doing even less than the failure Crean.

And you believe this is rational thinking.
And you are cherry picking one Crean season. I'll cut CTC a break the first 2 seasons, but he had Hulls, Watford, Sheehey, Olidipo, V Jones on his 3rd yr team and still finished 12-20 overall and 3-15- last in the B1G. If we are comparing CTC and CAM, and you want CAM gone now after 3 yrs, then CTC should never have lasted his 3rd yr. Crean owes Cody million$.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT